[Today at 01:41:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz the overachiever  (Read 1418 times)

DaCoach

• Team Captain
Buzz the overachiever
« on: March 10, 2014, 04:52:03 PM »
I don't believe there is anyone connected with Marquette believed that Buzz would have the success he's had since being named the head coach. He had a reputation as a great recruiter with a history of failure as a head coach. No one is more aware of that than Buzz himself. His climb up the coaching ranks is legendary. His tenacity is boundless and he expects and gets that same effort from his players. In spite of a down year, how many times have we seen his teams refuse to quit.

During his tenure we've seen a number of his players reach the NBA. None of them were McDonald All-Stars. He's managed to drive his teams to March madness by taking marginal prospects and turning them into overachievers like himself. Perhaps because of his success in the past he believes that with enough effort they could repeat the journey this year. It didn't happen.

Hopefully he'll sit down this summer with some mentors and review his decisions. Many will agree that Al McGuire's success was largely achieved by having Hank Raymonds alongside him. The program has finally reached the time that includes high-level prospects. It will be a shame if Marquette fails to use the opportunity to get the most out of these elite athletes. We all root for the underdog. But at the end of the day the favorite usually brings home the trophies.
Players win awards but teams win championships

brandx

Re: Buzz the overachiever
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 05:35:07 PM »
I don't believe there is anyone connected with Marquette believed that Buzz would have the success he's had since being named the head coach. He had a reputation as a great recruiter with a history of failure as a head coach. No one is more aware of that than Buzz himself. His climb up the coaching ranks is legendary. His tenacity is boundless and he expects and gets that same effort from his players. In spite of a down year, how many times have we seen his teams refuse to quit.

During his tenure we've seen a number of his players reach the NBA. None of them were McDonald All-Stars. He's managed to drive his teams to March madness by taking marginal prospects and turning them into overachievers like himself. Perhaps because of his success in the past he believes that with enough effort they could repeat the journey this year. It didn't happen.

Hopefully he'll sit down this summer with some mentors and review his decisions. Many will agree that Al McGuire's success was largely achieved by having Hank Raymonds alongside him. The program has finally reached the time that includes high-level prospects. It will be a shame if Marquette fails to use the opportunity to get the most out of these elite athletes. We all root for the underdog. But at the end of the day the favorite usually brings home the trophies.

Almost to a man on this board, we like Buzz and want him to stay. But this season has not been his best coaching job. I think when he looks back, he wil learn lessons from this season. That's what good coaches do.

And don't buy into the legend too much on Al. MU ran the offense that Al wanted and the defense that Al wanted. Hank was an outstanding assistant, who did a lot of coaching in practice & games, but make no mistake - he drew up the x's and o's the way that Al wanted him to.

But besides that, Hank was a great human being and completely loyal to Al and MU. I saw him a lot at the track (he loved betting on the dogs) and he was always a gentleman when I stopped to talk to him. Every time.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 05:52:57 PM »
Excellent post. We want Buzz to stay and learn from the experience. He deserves our support and has done much for this program. I expect to see him here for many years to come and, yes, be one of the all time greats in the Big East. Go get them Buzz. You deserve it.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 06:02:45 PM »
In Buzz I trust. His character and persona is the positive stuff that permeates throughout the MU program.
But it's not HIS program per se; he just influences and supports the people who are part of it.

I know he will study the tapes, seek advice, and plan for next season.

As a fan, it's been crushing at times to watch a talented team just get blasted or lose close ones because of performance and coaching.

Looking forward to the post-season and especially the 2014-15 team.
SS Marquette

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 07:33:44 PM »
A history of failure as a head coach? He coached for 1 year at New Orleans and finished 4th in his league....I'd hardly call that a "history of failure".....

::)

People need to relax......

john31

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 08:56:28 PM »
I have wondered the past couple of seasons when Buzz was going to stop over achieving, I think we know the answer to that question now. I am really disappointed with the results of this season so far but at the end of the day I cannot think of another coach that I would want to see at MU. Can anyone name a better, realistic alternative?  I think better days are ahead, Ring Out Ahoya Boys and Girls!!

feedback