[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Volleyball Thread  (Read 235630 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: Volleyball Thread
« Reply #500 on: May 08, 2017, 11:08:08 AM »
It was a lot of fun to be at the match, and a great environment.  It's always going to be special for a team to win a championship on its home court -- not to mention a repeat.  It's a fun memory to have had an opportunity to see both the Men's and Women's championships this season. 

It was a great crowd, but it's really a shame they didn't completely fill the building.  The Ohio Valley Region (Ohio's region of USAV) was having its regional championships in Columbus over the weekend and they never said a word about the tournament.  At the very least, they should have mentioned the match and had a sign or two.  Even better, they probably could have sold some tickets.  It certainly would have been more convenient for us if we'd have been able to buy tickets at the OVR tournament, rather than waiting in line at OSU.

But it was really fun to be there.  My daughters had a ball.  My youngest would be willing to entertain a marriage proposal from Ben Patch (in a few years, of course).  And television simply does not do justice to how nasty Szerszen's serve is.  Wow.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #501 on: May 08, 2017, 11:26:28 AM »
It was a lot of fun to be at the match, and a great environment.  It's always going to be special for a team to win a championship on its home court -- not to mention a repeat.  It's a fun memory to have had an opportunity to see both the Men's and Women's championships this season. 

It was a great crowd, but it's really a shame they didn't completely fill the building.  The Ohio Valley Region (Ohio's region of USAV) was having its regional championships in Columbus over the weekend and they never said a word about the tournament.  At the very least, they should have mentioned the match and had a sign or two.  Even better, they probably could have sold some tickets.  It certainly would have been more convenient for us if we'd have been able to buy tickets at the OVR tournament, rather than waiting in line at OSU.

But it was really fun to be there.  My daughters had a ball.  My youngest would be willing to entertain a marriage proposal from Ben Patch (in a few years, of course).  And television simply does not do justice to how nasty Szerszen's serve is.  Wow.

Really nice kid.  Heard he went through a little rebellion against the Mormon faith, which is why he came home from his mission a year early.  I would tell her not to hold her breath on that.  You don't have to tell her why, if you're catching my hint...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #502 on: May 08, 2017, 03:17:08 PM »
...if you're catching my hint...

I suspect everyone is catching it.  Since you're mentioning it, I'd assume it's widely known.  If not, feel free to edit your post and and I can still make sure to let my daughter down easy.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #503 on: May 08, 2017, 03:49:10 PM »
I suspect everyone is catching it.  Since you're mentioning it, I'd assume it's widely known.  If not, feel free to edit your post and and I can still make sure to let my daughter down easy.

Yes it is well known. I'm not sure how large of a reason it is that he is leaving to play professionally early. Obviously being paid to play the sport has to be intriguing, but unless you are one of the very top players you aren't going to be breaking the bank. He has the physical skills to be that level of player but his defense has a long way to go. At this point I'd liken him to Vander Blue. He'll make some money but there's only so far he can go without significantly improving defensively (in Vander's case, improving his jump shot).
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #504 on: May 08, 2017, 11:01:59 PM »
http://ev9.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=USAV&linkID=global-sears&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=&RSRC=SCA&RDAT=WEB_VEN&_ga=2.161579199.2049839423.1494302275-735521242.1493599199

Great seats still available.  I will be at the Saturday match.  Awesome opportunity to see the 2 top ranked teams in the world and 2 of the 3 medalists at last year's Olympic games.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #505 on: May 09, 2017, 08:36:24 AM »
MU needs to start a men's D1 program.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #506 on: May 09, 2017, 08:41:55 AM »

It came down to volleyball and lacrosse and lacrosse won out due to the new market of prospective students it opened up in the Northeast.  As much as I'd love to have it, lacrosse was the right choice.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #507 on: May 09, 2017, 08:48:40 AM »

How much do you plan to contribute for scholarships?  What women's sport do you suggest we add to stay in Title IX compliance, and how much are you going to contribute for those scholarships?

It's really easy to say "MU needs to [insert expensive idea here]", but everything takes money.
Have some patience, FFS.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #508 on: May 09, 2017, 08:50:37 AM »

How much do you plan to contribute for scholarships?  What women's sport do you suggest we add to stay in Title IX compliance, and how much are you going to contribute for those scholarships?

It's really easy to say "MU needs to [insert expensive idea here]", but everything takes money.

Not that much for volleyball.  Men's volleyball teams only get 4.5 scholarships.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #509 on: May 09, 2017, 08:53:59 AM »
Not that much for volleyball.  Men's volleyball teams only get 4.5 scholarships.

Yea, men's volleballl is pretty low budget. They already have the facilities and scholarships aren't a killer.

By as Chick alluded to, the big cost would come from finding a women's sport to pair with it. Which would probably be softball or field hockey. Two pretty expensive sports.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #510 on: May 09, 2017, 09:01:30 AM »

I texted Joe True and told him to expect your $180K check.  Plus another $200-$300K for coaches and travel.
Have some patience, FFS.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #511 on: May 09, 2017, 09:07:34 AM »
I texted Joe True and told him to expect your $180K check.  Plus another $200-$300K for coaches and travel.

Already discussed it with Mike Broeker.  Wouldn't have needed a personal check from me.  Would've needed a better target audience to attract students to Marquette.  Wouldn't get that in men's volleyball.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #512 on: May 09, 2017, 11:43:28 PM »
It came down to volleyball and lacrosse and lacrosse won out due to the new market of prospective students it opened up in the Northeast.  As much as I'd love to have it, lacrosse was the right choice.

It doesn't have to be the only choice.  If midwest volleyball is up and coming, then any good players go elsewhere because there are so few Midwest schools playing.  The cost for volleyball is small.  The MU club men's team was ranked #1 this year and finished in the top 5. 

Start a women's bowling team.  Yes, that is a NCAA division 1 sport.  Very low cost and takes care of the gender equity issue.  Milwaukee used to be the bowling capital of the USA.  We're made for it!!! 

My daughter and I watched the NCAA championships on DVR tonight and it struck us how many times the announcers were saying  he is from California, he is from Southern California, he is from the west coast, he is from California (a bunch of BYU players were from CA, so I may have mixed some up with the broadcast).  There were some good Midwest kids (the young man from Wisconsin), along with the French kid and the setter from New York, but it struck me how only one kid on the OSU roster was from Ohio.  Most from California or Pennsylvania, a few from Illinois.  MU should start a program and will attract kids from other states, especially the west coast because of opportunities.   

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #513 on: May 10, 2017, 06:41:16 AM »
It doesn't have to be the only choice.  If midwest volleyball is up and coming, then any good players go elsewhere because there are so few Midwest schools playing.  The cost for volleyball is small.  The MU club men's team was ranked #1 this year and finished in the top 5. 

Start a women's bowling team.  Yes, that is a NCAA division 1 sport.  Very low cost and takes care of the gender equity issue.  Milwaukee used to be the bowling capital of the USA.  We're made for it!!! 

My daughter and I watched the NCAA championships on DVR tonight and it struck us how many times the announcers were saying  he is from California, he is from Southern California, he is from the west coast, he is from California (a bunch of BYU players were from CA, so I may have mixed some up with the broadcast).  There were some good Midwest kids (the young man from Wisconsin), along with the French kid and the setter from New York, but it struck me how only one kid on the OSU roster was from Ohio.  Most from California or Pennsylvania, a few from Illinois.  MU should start a program and will attract kids from other states, especially the west coast because of opportunities.   

Yes there would be some players on the team that would not have otherwise considered Marquette if not for the opportunity to play D1/2 volleyball. But lacrosse is getting kids who do not play on Marquette's lacrosse team but are interested in the sport as a high school player from parts of the country that Marquette typically has not gotten students to apply from. Lacrosse is a preppy, wealthy, east coast sport. So while the high school sophomore from Raleigh, NC who plays lacrosse but won't be good enough to play at a division 1 college may not be on the team one day, he may be at a game where Marquette plays at Duke and gives them a good game and he looks into Marquette as a school.

Men's volleyball isn't the same way. You're either going to be traveling to areas you already get applicants from in the Midwest or you're heading out West where very few non potential athletes will look to leave SoCal for Milwaukee to be a common student at an expensive private college.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #514 on: May 13, 2017, 02:12:55 PM »
Looks like a former Marquette DOVO and Milwaukee Sting coach has been charged with inappropriate conduct with a young player.  Obviously disturbing.  Sadly, we had a very similar case - right down to the McDonald's runs - with a local club coach.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #515 on: May 13, 2017, 02:53:15 PM »
Looks like a former Marquette DOVO and Milwaukee Sting coach has been charged with inappropriate conduct with a young player.  Obviously disturbing.  Sadly, we had a very similar case - right down to the McDonald's runs - with a local club coach.

Wow, I actually knew him quite well at Marquette. Played volleyball with him more than a few times when I was going to the club team practices and had a couple classes together.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #516 on: May 24, 2017, 12:36:39 PM »
Marquette just announced a transfer from Miami:  Anna Haak, a 6'1" OH.  That makes nine new players next year (seven frosh and two transfers).

Prepvolleyball.com pegged Marquette's recruiting class as No. 21 this season:

21. MARQUETTE: Kortlyn Henderson, 6-1 OH, University (Waco, Texas); Martha Konovodoff, 5-7 DS, Rosary (Aurora, Illinois); Gabrielle Martinez, 5-4 DS, Westlake (Austin, Texas); Elizabeth Orf, 6-3 MB, Villa Duchesne (St. Louis, Missouri); Sarah Rose, 5-7 S, York (Elmhurst, Illinois); Hope Werch, 6-1 OH, Neenah (Wisconsin)

COMMENT: The Golden Eagles’ 2017 class is not only one of the biggest classes Marquette has ever had, it could be one of the strongest. Coming off the program’s sixth straight NCAA tournament appearance, head coach Ryan Theis expects this group to make an early impact on the continued success of the program. The combination of Orf (Senior Ace No. 39) and Werch (Senior Ace No. 78) will add plenty of excitement to the Marquette lineup. Orf is one of the best attacking middle blockers in the country. Werch, is a great attacker, but perhaps is even better known for her superior passing and defensive skills. Henderson, a relative unknown, is the most physical recruit in this class for the Golden Eagles. Touching well over 10 feet, Coach Theis expects big things from Henderson down the road. The small but mighty trio of Konovodoff, Martinez and Rose could possibly make the biggest impact for the Golden Eagles by helping to improve the team’s first and second touches. Rose has grown up in the gym and her volleyball IQ is second to none. Konovodoff and Martinez both are proven winners. Both are coming off national championship seasons with their club teams. Konovodoff made Prepvolleyball.com’s Top 250 Senior Ace list and Martinez was an AVCA high school All-American. In addition to these six, MU completes its freshmen class with 6-1 lefty RS Liza Kastrup from Germany. Kastrup will bring a wealth of international experience with her to Milwaukee. Additionally, Marquette will add collegiate experience in transfers Kayli Trausch (McHenry County College) and Anna Haak (University of Miami). With nine new faces in Milwaukee, Golden Eagle fans won’t want to miss out on all the excitement that’s to come for Marquette Volleyball.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #517 on: June 02, 2017, 06:49:33 AM »
World League starts today. Haven't seen a roster for the US team but I gotta imagine the lineup will be pretty similar to the Olympics with the exception of Lee.

S: Christenson
L: Shoji
OH: Sander
OH: Russell/Jaeschke
MB: Holt
MB: ? Maybe Jendryk, don't really know who is still in college vs. who graduated or left early
RS: Anderson

Should be a fun tourney.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #518 on: June 02, 2017, 08:18:50 AM »
World League starts today. Haven't seen a roster for the US team but I gotta imagine the lineup will be pretty similar to the Olympics with the exception of Lee.

S: Christenson
L: Shoji
OH: Sander
OH: Russell/Jaeschke
MB: Holt
MB: ? Maybe Jendryk, don't really know who is still in college vs. who graduated or left early
RS: Anderson

Should be a fun tourney.

They have basically a tryout roster.  See who can perform at the highest level and who's overmatched.  Most of the big name veterans are not on the roster while a lot of recently graduated college guys are.  A lot of professional leagues go right up to the start of the World League so some veterans get a rest during it instead of going right into World League, and then right back to their professional team after it.

http://www.teamusa.org/usa-volleyball/usa-teams/indoor-volleyball/men/athletes-and-rosters

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #519 on: June 02, 2017, 09:02:06 AM »
No kidding. No Holt, Anderson or Russell may be ugly.

Patch and Jaeshke should be okay but middle is a big question mark.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #520 on: June 02, 2017, 12:01:04 PM »
What a garbage lineup they decided to roll with today...

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #521 on: June 02, 2017, 01:31:43 PM »
Dan McDonnell is terrible. Why you play a 6'6" middle whose almost 30 in international volleyball is beyond me. Carson Clark hasn't been great today either. Let the kids play...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #522 on: June 19, 2017, 03:39:22 PM »
The GOAT is hanging em up. Congrats to Marv Dunphy on an incredible coaching career.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #523 on: August 24, 2017, 02:26:39 PM »
It's that time of year again...the season starts tomorrow.  Pretty cool for the Marquette girls to be kicking off the season in Hawaii against some great competition.  We'll know pretty early if they're strong this year.  Hopefully they can match their early season success last year.

Here's the pre-season coaches' poll:

1. Creighton (9)   81 pts
2. Butler 66
3. Marquette (1) 62
4. Xavier 51
5. Villanova 46
6. St. John’s 43
7. DePaul 36
8. Seton Hall 35
9. Georgetown 21
10. Providence 9

Hard to argue too much with Creighton at the top.  They're also ranked No. 9 nationally.  I wouldn't be too surprised to see Marquette in the No. 2 spot when it's all said and done.

And don't sleep on the Hoyas.  I think they're in for a big year and will move all they way up into that 7 or 8 spot (which, sadly, would be a big year for them)...maybe even to No. 6.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #524 on: August 26, 2017, 10:49:00 AM »
Great win for the Warriors over Hawaii last night. If I'm not mistaken, the BEast went 12-1 on the first day of the season yesterday. Nice start.