collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Volleyball Thread  (Read 233036 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Volleyball Thread
« Reply #425 on: August 19, 2016, 02:42:12 PM »
Heart. Break. City.

We played young down the stretch.

Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #426 on: August 27, 2016, 12:22:59 AM »
Holy crap, Marquette just beat #7 USC at USC. Sure your daughter doesn't wanna change her commitment StillAWarrior?  ;)

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #427 on: August 27, 2016, 11:21:10 AM »
Freshman Madeline Mosher put a stamp in her collegiate debut with the match-winning kill as the Marquette University women's volleyball team got the 2016 started off on a high note with an upset victory over No. 7 USC 3-1 (16-25, 25-20, 25-20, 25-22) in the season opener on Friday evening.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #428 on: August 27, 2016, 03:05:22 PM »
Holy crap, Marquette just beat #7 USC at USC. Sure your daughter doesn't wanna change her commitment StillAWarrior?  ;)

I saw that.  Very impressive win.  Good for Marquette, and good for the Big East. 

Unfortunately, Marquette was never an option for her.  The easy explanation is that she was "off year" for them, as they very politely told her early in the process.  But I'm not sure she's at the level they're at these days.  Of course, as a biased parent, I think she could hang...but I'm not sure they'd agree.  ;)
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MUAlcatraz

• Walk-On
« Reply #429 on: August 27, 2016, 03:14:57 PM »
Lost the first game 25-23.  We served down 23-24 right into the net.  UC Irvine leads 1 game to 0.

A handful of Warrior supporters here.

Go Marquette

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #430 on: August 27, 2016, 03:34:03 PM »
Lost the first game 25-23.  We served down 23-24 right into the net.  UC Irvine leads 1 game to 0.

A handful of Warrior supporters here.

Go Marquette

I actually think I saw you in the stands CBB. Or at least what I imagine you look like.

MUAlcatraz

• Walk-On
« Reply #431 on: August 27, 2016, 03:40:32 PM »
Lady warriors fight back to win set 2 by a score of 25-18.   All tied 1-1 in sets.  Action shots on an iPhone not a good thing.  They wouldn't let me in with my Canon - had to go back to the car.  Considering where USC is located, there is a 40% chance the camera is stolen by the end of this match.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 03:44:14 PM by MUAlcatraz »

MUAlcatraz

• Walk-On
« Reply #432 on: August 27, 2016, 04:12:46 PM »
I actually think I saw you in the stands CBB. Or at least what I imagine you look like.

MUAlcatraz

• Walk-On
« Reply #433 on: August 27, 2016, 04:19:39 PM »
Warriors 25, UCI 22.

2-1 MU leads

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #434 on: August 27, 2016, 04:27:06 PM »
Keep it comin', kin, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUAlcatraz

• Walk-On
« Reply #435 on: August 27, 2016, 04:48:46 PM »
UCI brought the hammer in game 4.  25-17, wasn't that close.  Trailed by 10 much of the set. 

Final set coming up.

MUAlcatraz

• Walk-On
« Reply #436 on: August 27, 2016, 05:11:12 PM »
MU wins final set 15-12.  We were up 14-7 and it got a bit uncomfortable, but ultimate defeat.

Santa Clara next in two hours.

MUAlcatraz

• Walk-On
« Reply #437 on: August 27, 2016, 09:19:01 PM »
Outclassed tonight against Santa Clara.  Lost in 4 sets, but the Broncos controlled most of the match other than set 3. 

The 4th set was never in question, but good two days for MU.  We have some talent.  #16 is a beast at times with her blocking and hitting.  Mosher is young, has a bright future.  Thought our libero  played very well the first match, scrappy defense by her.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #438 on: August 27, 2016, 11:04:01 PM »
Outclassed tonight against Santa Clara.  Lost in 4 sets, but the Broncos controlled most of the match other than set 3. 

The 4th set was never in question, but good two days for MU.  We have some talent.  #16 is a beast at times with her blocking and hitting.  Mosher is young, has a bright future.  Thought our libero  played very well the first match, scrappy defense by her.

It was always gonna be tough only having two hours in between games. Good showing by then though. It's gonna be a two team race for conference.

MUAlcatraz

• Walk-On
« Reply #439 on: August 27, 2016, 11:48:35 PM »
Final report from USC.  The Trojans lost to Santa Clara today, and just got swept tonight to UC Irvine.  0-3 to start season for supposed #7 team.  Preseason rankings are what they are - not reliable.

Goodnight all!

Go Warriors!

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #440 on: September 01, 2016, 01:28:07 PM »
Some recruits for Marquette from 2017 and beyond:

Elizabeth Orf, a 6-3 Class of 2017 MB/RS from Villa Duchesne HS in St. Louis and St. Louis CYC, recently committed to the Marquette Golden Eagles.

Sarah Rose, a 5-8 Class of 2017 setter from York HS (IL) and 1st Alliance VBC, has committed to Marquette University.

Hope Werch, a 6-1 Class of 2017 OH from Neenah HS (WI) and Wisconsin Volleyball Academy, has committed to Marquette.

PrepVB is releasing its top 100 players from 2017 this week and next -- 10 per day.  Today's release revealed Werch at No. 78.  Here's what they had to say: 

"One of the purest six-rotation outside hitters in the class, Werch has an uncanny knack for the game. Long, rangy and athletic, she is a do-it-all type of player with the ball control of a libero, a live arm and a deadly jump serve. As a passer, Werch is as smooth as they come and, as an attacker, she is strong at either pin, off of one foot and has no problem attacking with tempo out of the backrow, which makes her a threat from anywhere. She has all the shots and attacks with incredible efficiency no matter the tempo. Werch has been an All-State player for Neenah High School for three straight seasons, has led her team to the state tournament twice, and was an AAU All-American with her WVA club team this past summer. Needless to say, she’s a winner. Werch’s easy-going, but hate-to-lose attitude will make her one to watch at Marquette."

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #441 on: September 05, 2016, 01:28:21 PM »
PrepVB is releasing its top 100 players from 2017 this week and next -- 10 per day.  Today's release revealed Werch at No. 78.  Here's what they had to say: 

"One of the purest six-rotation outside hitters in the class, Werch has an uncanny knack for the game. Long, rangy and athletic, she is a do-it-all type of player with the ball control of a libero, a live arm and a deadly jump serve. As a passer, Werch is as smooth as they come and, as an attacker, she is strong at either pin, off of one foot and has no problem attacking with tempo out of the backrow, which makes her a threat from anywhere. She has all the shots and attacks with incredible efficiency no matter the tempo. Werch has been an All-State player for Neenah High School for three straight seasons, has led her team to the state tournament twice, and was an AAU All-American with her WVA club team this past summer. Needless to say, she’s a winner. Werch’s easy-going, but hate-to-lose attitude will make her one to watch at Marquette."

And Orf is in at No. 39:

"One of the most dynamic middles in the class, Orf has a lightning fast arm, is quick in transition and has the ability to score from anywhere along the net. Her tenacious and spunky personality on the court and up-tempo style of play make her an incredibly fun player to watch. A tireless worker, Orf’s dedication to getting better helped her become a dominant blocker last summer for Rockwood Thunder and is making her an asset as a passer and defender this fall for defending state champion Villa Duchesne. Orf is the kind of player every team needs to have to be successful. She will do whatever it takes for her team on and off the court. A fun-loving player who lights up a room, Orf is sure to be a fan favorite at Marquette, where she has committed."

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #442 on: September 09, 2016, 10:31:02 PM »
PrepVolleyball wrapped up its annual Senior Aces list today and Marquette has the best class in the Big East by far. Prep names and ranks the top 100, and also names the "Next 150" without ranking them. Marquette had the two highest ranked recruits (39 and 78) in the conference and a couple others. Creighton also got two ranked recruits (98 and 99). The breakdown:

Marquette (4) (39, 78, +2 Next 150)
Creighton (2) (98, 99)
Butler (2)
Xavier (2)
Georgetown (1)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 10:37:24 PM by StillAWarrior »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #443 on: October 01, 2016, 08:54:19 AM »
Huge win for Marquette last night, taking down the mighty Hoyas in four.   ;)

I saw the last two sets on the computer (note:  not the sets to watch if you're rooting for GU...wow...that's hard to type...gonna take some getting used to).  Marquette looked good; GU looked horrible.  I'm still trying to figure out how GU swept Villanova in Philly last weekend.

If anyone can get information about the Marquette program, I'd really like to hear how that girl who left the floor on the last point of the match is doing (Geoffroy). She ran into another player (Mosher) and took a shot to the head and staggered off the floor in the middle of the point while play was going on around her.  I've never seen anything quite like it (see the point here at 1:52:57).  Most of these kids playing sports at this level are warriors and don't just walk away from the action.  It was really disconcerting to see and I hope to hear she's just fine.  Hope Mosher's OK too because she also looked a little dazed.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 01:09:25 PM by StillAWarrior »

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #444 on: October 02, 2016, 09:40:26 PM »
Huge win for Marquette last night, taking down the mighty Hoyas in four.   ;)

I saw the last two sets on the computer (note:  not the sets to watch if you're rooting for GU...wow...that's hard to type...gonna take some getting used to).  Marquette looked good; GU looked horrible.  I'm still trying to figure out how GU swept Villanova in Philly last weekend.

Especially after Nova beat Marquette in a hell of a match on Saturday.

If anyone can get information about the Marquette program, I'd really like to hear how that girl who left the floor on the last point of the match is doing (Geoffroy). She ran into another player (Mosher) and took a shot to the head and staggered off the floor in the middle of the point while play was going on around her.  I've never seen anything quite like it (see the point here at 1:52:57).  Most of these kids playing sports at this level are warriors and don't just walk away from the action.  It was really disconcerting to see and I hope to hear she's just fine.  Hope Mosher's OK too because she also looked a little dazed.

Geoffroy started and played in all three sets against Villanova, although she only recorded three digs.  Then again, she only averages 2.11.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #445 on: October 03, 2016, 07:38:13 AM »
Geoffroy started and played in all three sets against Villanova, although she only recorded three digs.  Then again, she only averages 2.11.

Thanks.  I'm happy to hear that.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #446 on: October 04, 2016, 01:09:57 AM »
Thanks.  I'm happy to hear that.

Minor update: played in three of four sets.  Still started, though, and seemed to be suffering no ill effects on the sideline.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #447 on: October 21, 2016, 09:45:30 PM »
UW just got SMOKED by Nebraska. Nebraska plays more like a men's team than any women's college team I think I've ever seen. Hard to see anyone beating them.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #448 on: October 22, 2016, 04:04:52 AM »
UW just got SMOKED by Nebraska. Nebraska plays more like a men's team than any women's college team I think I've ever seen. Hard to see anyone beating them.

Last year we were at Nebraska for a football game, didn't know it until later but the women's volleyball team had a match the night before. My dad and I were very disappointed we missed it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #449 on: October 22, 2016, 09:41:37 AM »
Last year we were at Nebraska for a football game, didn't know it until later but the women's volleyball team had a match the night before. My dad and I were very disappointed we missed it.

I think tickets are very tough to come by at Nebraska's home matches. I'm pretty sure they sell out all the time. They average over 8,000 which is far and away the most for vb.