[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Volleyball Thread  (Read 233049 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Volleyball Thread
« Reply #375 on: June 05, 2016, 10:15:26 AM »
Volleyball isn't played on a rating system.  The RPI for men's (and even women's) volleyball is a joke.  If you know anything about college volleyball you know that.  Ohio State had a much more difficult time with George Mason in the NCAA Tournament than they did with BYU in the NCAA Tournament.  BYU went 3-1 against Stanford and UCSB, so no, I'm not sold that Stanford or UCSB would absolutely do better than George Mason.

I get it.  You want like half of the men's volleyball programs to make the NCAA Tournament.  These kids work really hard in the classroom and in the gym so give them their participation invite into the NCAA Tournament because they're a hard working group of people.  Personally I don't see any need to bring 10 (weird number, not sure what kind of schedule you want there) teams into the NCAA Tournament and be away from school during the entire Finals week for almost all schools.

Why should the top 10 teams in NCAA men's volleyball all get the chance to participate in the NCAA Tournament?   That's absurd.  Let's put 30% of all programs in the NCAA Tournament.  Awesome.  Like I said, let's go with 100 basketball teams in the NCAA Tournament.  Let's make a 50 team NCAA football tournament.  And while we're at all this let's remove all auto bids and just make it 100 and 50 at large bids going to the highest ranked teams based on some computer numbers that only care about who you play and where you play them and not on results.  That sounds like an awesome way to run college sports.  Invite everyone and rank based on some algorithms.  Great.

Monmouth was going to get a 14 or 15 seed as an at large?  That'd be new.  Holy Cross and Monmouth have to do with this because it's the worst team in the NCAA basketball field and the biggest snub, just like Erskine and Stanford are the worst team in the field and the biggest snub for men's volleyball.

There are 2 or 3 teams in any given year that can win the men's volleyball title.  Inviting everyone for trying hard isn't going to change the result.

Hog wash that there are 2 or 3 teams in any given year that can win it.  Complete hog wash.   Who is asking to invite everyone?  Why the hyperbole again?  Since when is adding TWO more teams, top 10 teams in the country = everyone?  Good Lord.

You don't like the RPI, fine....use your media poll or the coaches poll, both of them put Stanford and UCSB above those schools.  Their expertise says the same thing.

No, you don't get it....I don't want half the volleyball teams in the NCAA field.  Right now I'm talking about going from 6 to 8, maybe a bit further.  No, you clearly don't get it.

Why is it absurd to have the top 10 teams in volleyball participate in the NCAA tournament?  Your statement...please, tell me why it is ABSURD, especially when we have NON TOP 10 teams playing.  This ought to be good.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #376 on: June 05, 2016, 06:46:53 PM »
Hog wash that there are 2 or 3 teams in any given year that can win it.  Complete hog wash.   Who is asking to invite everyone?  Why the hyperbole again?  Since when is adding TWO more teams, top 10 teams in the country = everyone?  Good Lord.

You don't like the RPI, fine....use your media poll or the coaches poll, both of them put Stanford and UCSB above those schools.  Their expertise says the same thing.

No, you don't get it....I don't want half the volleyball teams in the NCAA field.  Right now I'm talking about going from 6 to 8, maybe a bit further.  No, you clearly don't get it.

Why is it absurd to have the top 10 teams in volleyball participate in the NCAA tournament?  Your statement...please, tell me why it is ABSURD, especially when we have NON TOP 10 teams playing.  This ought to be good.

It is absurd to have 10 teams in the NCAA Tournament because there are less than 40 teams in NCAA men's volleyball. When teams play 60% of all NCAA teams in the regular season like they do now and they don't prove they belong playing in the NCAA Tournament throughout that regular season there is no need to make a participation invite.  If you want make the Tournament you have beyond plenty of opportunities to do so. If you don't it's not the lack of a participation invite. It's you not being good enough to win an NCAA Championship.

What do you want them to do? Do you want to have schools send their teams out to a neutral location for a full week to play in front of 300 fans at $5 a ticket? Yeah, I'm sure the NCAA would be thrilled to foot that bill. Once again, absurd.

You have non top 10 teams in and top 10 teams out because non top 10 teams won their conference tournament and got an invite. Well earned. Happy for them. Teams out west that weren't good enough to do that now have a new opportunity with a weaker conference. Hopefully it works out for them.

Why do you have sub 240 RPI men's basketball teams in the NCAA Tournament while teams with an RPI better than 75 miss it? Denominators, fella. Denominators.

Inviting more teams for working hard isn't the answer.

You can pretend UCSB kids got snubbed out of a chance for an NCAA title, but they never had a shot. When you go 0-7 against teams that made the field from your conference, none of which won the Title, the denominators in their 0.000% winning percentage against those teams suggests they had ample opportunity to prove they belonged but never did so. Denominators.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 06:49:25 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #377 on: July 06, 2016, 02:58:19 PM »
With boys Nationals wrapping up today, Balboa Bay won the National Title at 14s, 15s, 17s, and 18s.  The coach of the only team that didn't win the Title for them (16s - 5th place finish) has 5+ National Titles to his name, so I think he'll be okay.

Absolutely insane.

Also, USA men's onto the Finals and in 2nd place in the World League.  Only loss was to Brazil, who took it to them in Rio in the first weekend.  Struggled with some of the worse teams but swept both Italy and Russia the past 2 weekends.  Aaron Russell looked horrible the first 7 matches of the tournament but played extremely well the last 2 matches.  He could be the difference maker between a Gold Medal at the Olympics or a quarterfinal loss.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #378 on: July 25, 2016, 07:52:55 AM »
Some recruits for Marquette from 2017 and beyond:

Elizabeth Orf, a 6-3 Class of 2017 MB/RS from Villa Duchesne HS in St. Louis and St. Louis CYC, recently committed to the Marquette Golden Eagles.

Sarah Rose, a 5-8 Class of 2017 setter from York HS (IL) and 1st Alliance VBC, has committed to Marquette University.

Hope Werch, a 6-1 Class of 2017 OH from Neenah HS (WI) and Wisconsin Volleyball Academy, has committed to Marquette.

Claire Mosher, a 5-10 Class of 2018 setter from Waterloo HS (WI) and Milwaukee Sting VBC, has committed to Marquette.

Katie Schoessow, a 5-4 Class of 2018 libero from Mukwonago HS (WI) and Milwaukee Sting VBC, has committed to Marquette.

Ellie Koontz, a 6-2 Class of 2018 RS from the Academy of Holy Angels (MN) and Mizuno Northern Lights VBC, has committed to Marquette University.

My daughter has played against the first three, so I've seen them play.  Don't honestly remember any except Orf.  The teams that Orf has played on (St. Louis CYC in the past, but Rockwood Thunder this year) have been one of my favorite teams at the 2017 level -- and the best team to never win a national championship.  They went on a run when they were 15 or so when they won somewhere in the neighborhood of five consecutive qualifiers -- a feat that I haven't seen matched by anyone.  But they've never managed to get it done at Nationals.  She's definitely a winner and will be great for Marquette.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #379 on: July 29, 2016, 07:50:20 AM »
From Prepvolleyball.com as they start turning their attention to college again now that club season has ended:

3. Kansas was a team no one saw coming last year. Is there a program like that this fall?

It’s a trick question, because if I had an answer, then we would see it coming. Still, it’s an interesting topic to explore. How to guess Kansas was going to explode on the scene like it did? And even then, Kansas’ legitimacy was questioned until almost beating Texas in the second meeting. At that point, it was still hard seeing Kansas reaching the Final Four.

The Jayhawks missed out on the Top 25 in 2014, gaining seven votes and landing in the others category. With that in mind, here are the teams that just missed the Top 25 in 2015 and were stuck in others – San Diego, Missouri, Kentucky, Michigan State, Arkansas State, Arizona, American, Long Beach State, Wichita State, Marquette and Iowa State.

Marquette, with nine votes, and Iowa State, with three, are most similar to Kansas’ position last year in terms of final votes. Of the two, Marquette stands a better chance of being the one to break through, though the odds of a Final Four run remain low. Marquette did add Milwaukee Sting teammates Allie Barber (6-5, MB) and Madeline Mosher (6-0, OH) to the mix this season and still have sophomore Taylor Louis (6-2, OH), so perhaps a postseason push isn’t far off.

Of the remaining teams from others, Michigan State would be the best pick of reaching the Final Four. The Spartans need to stay healthy. If that happens, everyone returns and a playoff charge is possible.

Ultimately, I predict we won’t see a team like Kansas in 2016, but rather familiar faces.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #380 on: July 29, 2016, 09:25:47 AM »
Find it funny how they mention if Michigan St. stays healthy. That's where Autumn went last year and she busted her knee early in the season.

Really with she would have stayed. Her and Louis on the outside would have been sick.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #381 on: August 03, 2016, 08:15:25 AM »
What's the lineup the US rolls with for the olympics?

S: Christenson
L: Shoji
OH: Sander
OH: Russell
MB: Holt
MB: I guess Lee
RS: Anderson

Really need some of those young middles from Loyola and other places to start making their way into the program.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #382 on: August 03, 2016, 08:30:34 AM »
What's the lineup the US rolls with for the olympics?

S: Christenson
L: Shoji
OH: Sander
OH: Russell
MB: Holt
MB: I guess Lee
RS: Anderson

Really need some of those young middles from Loyola and other places to start making their way into the program.

That'll be the lineup.  Russell started to play more like the Russell we saw in his first year with the international team towards the end of the World League.  He's the X factor.  If he's playing well the USA will medal, possibly even gold.  If he's off it'll be a struggle.  And I hope it's not a super long leash, as Jaeshke's ceiling is lower but his floor is a lot higher and when Russell is down, he doesn't often seem to find himself working his way up.  Speraw, for whatever reason, has subbed Troy in for Anderson far too early in matches in the World League, in my opinion.  Hopefully he was just doing that to prepare Troy in case of injury to Anderson come the Olympics.  Anderson needs to be the best player on the court.

Lee is still a stud but this is his last hoorah.  Smith is solid but not spectacular, definitely a good 3rd middle.  Olson and Kaminsky are going overseas so we'll see if either of them progresses to the point of being in the gym with the international team in the coming years.  My guess is Stadick is playing with/starting on the international team come the 2020 Olympic games.  I would be shocked if Speraw didn't push him to skip his senior year to play internationally the year before the 2020 Olympics like he did Jaeshke.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #383 on: August 06, 2016, 10:50:10 AM »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #384 on: August 07, 2016, 04:29:15 PM »
Absolutely disgraceful. Couldn't pass, couldn't serve, couldn't block. What an embarrassing performance. Hopefully this lights a fire under their ass.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #385 on: August 09, 2016, 11:56:31 AM »
 I thought that the USAW's coach kinda looked like Jerry Wainwright, and then to my disappointment, discovered that it was actually my youthful crush (and former hottie) Karch Kiraly. 

« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 01:23:23 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #386 on: August 09, 2016, 01:00:34 PM »
I've been holding off my lunch break at work to catch as much of the match live as I can.  Before I waste time getting up to get to a TV, can anybody confirm that the match will be on NBC?  Would anybody mind posting on here once the match starts?  Limited time, want to see as much of it as I can.  Thanks much.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #387 on: August 09, 2016, 01:25:22 PM »
I've been holding off my lunch break at work to catch as much of the match live as I can.  Before I waste time getting up to get to a TV, can anybody confirm that the match will be on NBC?  Would anybody mind posting on here once the match starts?  Limited time, want to see as much of it as I can.  Thanks much.

Towards the end of the first set right now. Stupid NBC has missed 6 points because of playing commercials in the middle of the set.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #388 on: August 09, 2016, 01:31:06 PM »
First set just ended.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #389 on: August 09, 2016, 02:49:54 PM »
Towards the end of the first set right now. Stupid NBC has missed 6 points because of playing commercials in the middle of the set.

First set just ended.

Thanks.  Was able to watch the whole first set.  Missed opportunities.

Now just listening to the arena noise with the stream in the background of my computer trying to guess who scored.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #390 on: August 09, 2016, 03:00:16 PM »
Still a ways away but that could have been a match saving rally.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #391 on: August 09, 2016, 03:13:38 PM »
Ah, well, at least the USA still has basketball.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #392 on: August 09, 2016, 03:17:04 PM »
Ah, well, at least the USA still has basketball.

And women's volleyball.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #393 on: August 10, 2016, 01:52:58 PM »
I thought that the USAW's coach kinda looked like Jerry Wainwright, and then to my disappointment, discovered that it was actually my youthful crush (and former hottie) Karch Kiraly. 

Not well preserved, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #394 on: August 10, 2016, 01:56:55 PM »
Years in the sun dried out his skin.    I suspect he can still whup most of us. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #395 on: August 10, 2016, 02:48:33 PM »

Not well preserved, ai na?

My guess is he's in decent shape for a 55 year old.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #396 on: August 11, 2016, 10:02:54 PM »
For as awesome as Micah is, Bruno makes him look like the teenager he nearly is. And his connection with Pau Gasol  ;) is special. Plus Sergio playing at the level he does at 40 years old is insane.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #397 on: August 11, 2016, 10:04:17 PM »
For as awesome as Micah is, Bruno makes him look like the teenager he nearly is. And his connection with Pau Gasol  ;) is special. Plus Sergio playing at the level he does at 40 years old is insane.

I thought the same thing about that middle. We sure Pau isn't Brazilian?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #398 on: August 11, 2016, 10:15:31 PM »
Man, some crazy ass rally's for the international men's game. Sander with the solo right there was unreal.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #399 on: August 11, 2016, 10:40:15 PM »
Volleyball is a funny sport