[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Replace "I believe" with ...  (Read 28354 times)

spartan3186

• All American
Re: Replace "I believe" with ...
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2014, 04:22:22 PM »
Good stuff, whatever you guys think... unfortunate that the accounting test follows a Thursday night game... I remember the panic surrounding those Friday afternoons... let's hope for a decent turn out tonight

I don't really buy the accounting exam excuse. Maybe it's because I was a science major, or maybe the fact that I took Accounting as a Junior/Senior as part of a minor played a role, but I always found the accounting exams to be a joke. I got 95+% on every one of those exams without any real studying. Compared to o-chem and p-chem exams (among others) they are a piece of cake.

The only thing remotely intimidating about them were the fact that they ran them like a boot camp.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2014, 04:24:55 PM »
All true, but they have really made it their own.  Everyone who has gone to a game at Camp Randall talks about it.  It's like people associating "All Along the Watchtower" with Jimi Hendrix - it's Bob Dylan's song, but Hendrix took it to another level and became the one known for it.  I would just rather we do something different from them.

Spot on. It does bother me that UW fans think the song originated in Camp Randall, but it's theirs now. We should just let them keep it.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2014, 05:13:42 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/NwwY9y6O3hw?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/NwwY9y6O3hw?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

I would support this.

Someone really needs hack into the jumbotron system and pull it off.
SS Marquette

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2014, 05:16:07 PM »
That's what they are saying, I believe? We have never been able to understand what that chant was, thanks, the Mrs. will also be glad to finally know that.
Love your logo...but the Waldo..maybe something a little chic.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2014, 06:33:59 PM »
I would support this.

Someone really needs hack into the jumbotron system and pull it off.

That would be awesome, but I think all we'd need to pull this off is the right couple of kids getting on board. They organized I Believe, so this could be done. And the whole crowd could join in once it catches on.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2014, 06:59:12 PM »
I don't really buy the accounting exam excuse. Maybe it's because I was a science major, or maybe the fact that I took Accounting as a Junior/Senior as part of a minor played a role, but I always found the accounting exams to be a joke. I got 95+% on every one of those exams without any real studying. Compared to o-chem and p-chem exams (among others) they are a piece of cake.

The only thing remotely intimidating about them were the fact that they ran them like a boot camp.

I was an accounting major and tutored intro to accounting. While some kids may not have been as bright as you, it was astounding how many kids came in complaining the night before the test that they did not get it after admitting they hadn't completed the 15 mins of simple hw a night.
Put in that minimum amount of time and maybe four hours the night before/morning of and you have a solid BC if you truly struggle with the subject.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2014, 08:01:12 AM »
I was an accounting major and tutored intro to accounting. While some kids may not have been as bright as you, it was astounding how many kids came in complaining the night before the test that they did not get it after admitting they hadn't completed the 15 mins of simple hw a night.
Put in that minimum amount of time and maybe four hours the night before/morning of and you have a solid BC if you truly struggle with the subject.

I am a CPA, and I can tell you that accounting is something that you either "get" immediately or you don't, and if you don't, it's hard.  My kid is taking accounting this semester and he is struggling with it.  It's not that he's not smart; he had a composite ACT in the 30's.  He does all the homework and studies hard.  His brain is simply not wired that way.

I have a friend whose kid says in his head, he hears rock music when he does accounting. Mine hears a funeral dirge.
Have some patience, FFS.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2014, 09:14:43 AM »
Love your logo...but the Waldo..maybe something a little chic.

:(

http://tinyurl.com/l3jlx57

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2014, 09:18:13 AM »
I am a CPA, and I can tell you that accounting is something that you either "get" immediately or you don't, and if you don't, it's hard.  My kid is taking accounting this semester and he is struggling with it.  It's not that he's not smart; he had a composite ACT in the 30's.  He does all the homework and studies hard.  His brain is simply not wired that way.

I have a friend whose kid says in his head, he hears rock music when he does accounting. Mine hears a funeral dirge.

Haha, poor "J". Dont have to take accounting but I know the struggle...

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2014, 09:41:21 AM »

It's not your kid's fault... the education model that's been forced on millennials has wired them to memorize facts, definitions, processes, events, theorems, etc.

It used to be the case that we wired kids how to learn... you could cut your study time by 50% or more simply by going to class.  I have a good friend who tells the story about how as a 2L he sold back all but one of his textbooks at the end of the year in their original shrink-wrap, yet finished the year in the top 10% of the class; however, this was back in the mid-80s before attendance and classroom participation were part of your grade because you could absorb everything you needed during lectures and labs.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2014, 09:44:07 AM »
It's not your kid's fault... the education model that's been forced on millennials has wired them to memorize facts, definitions, processes, events, theorems, etc.

It used to be the case that we wired kids how to learn... you could cut your study time by 50% or more simply by going to class.  I have a good friend who tells the story about how as a 2L he sold back all but one of his textbooks at the end of the year in their original shrink-wrap, yet finished the year in the top 10% of the class; however, this was back in the mid-80s before attendance and classroom participation were part of your grade because you could absorb everything you needed during lectures and labs.

AMEN

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2014, 09:47:51 AM »

I agree. I have a big vendetta against the high school and college system. I hate GPA, it absolutely estrys students because you cant get into a good college or grad school if you dont have the grades. All schools do now a days is train you to do well for the tests. Its brutal. Honestly, this is one of the reasons I HATE school. I despise GPA and all that it stands for. It bases kids on a number, nothing about themselves. I easily learned the most in the classes ive gotten the worst grades in.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2014, 02:21:20 PM »
Getting back to the student section, I thought they were good last night. There were multiple times I could hear We Are Marquette through the tv broadcast, loud and clear.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2014, 05:11:14 PM »

This is where you lost me.

As to the post, based on this year's meme, I propose we shorted it to "WE SLURP!" I mean, no one else has it, right? What's not to like?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2014, 05:21:23 PM »
I agree. I have a big vendetta against the high school and college system. I hate GPA, it absolutely estrys students because you cant get into a good college or grad school if you dont have the grades. All schools do now a days is train you to do well for the tests. Its brutal. Honestly, this is one of the reasons I HATE school. I despise GPA and all that it stands for. It bases kids on a number, nothing about themselves. I easily learned the most in the classes ive gotten the worst grades in.

So, do away with grades and give everyone a trophy? Your argument makes no sense.

Death on call

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2014, 05:28:50 PM »
So, do away with grades and give everyone a trophy? Your argument makes no sense.

Actually it makes a whole lot of sense. Do away with the grade system and just go pass/fail. If you truly want kids to learn. I just study to memorize. I work the system, which isnt learning.

HelixAir6

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2014, 03:36:32 PM »
Thought I would bump this back up with the recent Student Section name discussion and the Marquette Pride posts that have showed up in the last couple of weeks...

I agree that no coach is bigger than the program... I like the Wojo hire... so let's get something in the student section chant at the beginning of the game to remind college basketball that WE ARE MARQUETTE and we aren't going anywhere!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2014, 04:01:37 PM »
Thought I would bump this back up with the recent Student Section name discussion and the Marquette Pride posts that have showed up in the last couple of weeks...

I agree that no coach is bigger than the program... I like the Wojo hire... so let's get something in the student section chant at the beginning of the game to remind college basketball that WE ARE MARQUETTE and we aren't going anywhere!

The only pre-game chant back in the day was "The 'Lanche or Hegarty's?" as people walked down Wells to the Arena. And the "Give 'em hell, AL!" guy.

Frankly, that still ranks as the greatest pre-game chant ever. A darkened Arena. 11,000 people standing in silence. The last notes of the Star Spangled Banner giving way to four words that captured the Zeitgeist of Marquette. The essence of an outlook, a temperament, a demeanor, a spirit, and an ethos. There will never be anyone to rival Al  and nothing to compare with that invocation. Nothing.

Death on call

Goose

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2014, 04:12:27 PM »
Keefe

The dark arena and the give em hell, Al was the best ever. Set the tone for the night each and every time.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2014, 04:28:02 PM »
it was the perfect prelude to the 'war' drums.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2014, 04:31:08 PM »
Augoman

The war drums definitely set the stage for the evening. To me the darkness of the seating area of arena enhanced the atmosphere as well.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2014, 05:10:21 PM »
true that, Goose..., the arena was the perfect setting for bball with the 'center stage' lighting and the dark seating area.  Hell, you can read a book during a game in the BC.  Not a bad seat in the arena.  Smallish, but would have been a good investment for MU to buy- save a ton of $$ on rent, play in Marquette Arena, blue and gold neon running around the building, loud as hell during a game, more comfortable seating, rent it out when off-season.  I think it would have paid for itself and been a true asset to the school.  I can hear the drums now...

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2014, 05:13:28 PM »
I can hear the drums now...

Is there still Hamms Beer?

From the Land of Sky Blue Waters...

« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 05:15:37 PM by keefe »

Death on call

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2014, 05:30:19 PM »
Is there still Hamms Beer?

From the Land of Sky Blue Waters...

Fantastic jingle. http://youtu.be/qxBEodMKSDI

Hamm's is alive. Relatively inexpensive. Good stuff.

HelixAir6

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2014, 01:16:07 PM »
Thought I would bump this up now that a new season is approaching and a new era is upon us... student section, any thoughts to change things up this year?  I am pumped for this new era of MU Bball... seems like Wojo has us on track for big things... now is as good of a time as ever to get some new, unique cheers rolling...