[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2014 MLB Thread & Pissing Match  (Read 242764 times)

MDMU04

• All American
Re: 2014 MLB Thread & Pissing Match
« Reply #850 on: October 29, 2014, 05:41:52 PM »
It all comes down to when Theo is going to get a pitching staff. There will be no success until then no matter who is sitting in the dugout.

The Cubs committed payroll is $31MM next season. They could throw $50MM each per season at Lester and Price or Scherzer if they wanted to. Pitching can be bought and will not be a problem.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

brandx

« Reply #851 on: October 29, 2014, 05:58:08 PM »
The Cubs committed payroll is $31MM next season. They could throw $50MM each per season at Lester and Price or Scherzer if they wanted to. Pitching can be bought and will not be a problem.

That's what I meant, MDM (I may not have been real clear). It's about WHEN Theo is going to go after pitchers - this year, next year???

chapman

• All American
« Reply #852 on: October 29, 2014, 06:12:27 PM »
Feel bad for Rick Renteria, thought he did a really nice job this year.  Though I've got to respect a GM that goes with the balls out approach to make the move he thinks will win. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #853 on: October 29, 2014, 09:37:06 PM »
When I worked for the Angels we fired Terry Collins and promoted Maddon to manager for about a month to end the season.  Then we hired Scioscia who remains in place today.  Maddon is good guy.  Very dry sense of humor., cerebral guy but likes to have fun.  He will fit in well in Chicago.  Glad the Cubs have him instead of the Doyers.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #854 on: October 30, 2014, 12:49:10 AM »
Glad the Cubs have him instead of the Doyers.

Serious question, where does Doyers come from? My girlfriend whose a dodgers fan and from So Cal always calls them that too. Is it supposed to be making fun of them?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #855 on: October 30, 2014, 05:27:19 AM »
Helluva finish.    Escobar or Cain might have been able to turn that play into an inside-the-park home run.   Gordon would have been toast.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #856 on: October 30, 2014, 06:43:50 AM »
Helluva finish.    Escobar or Cain might have been able to turn that play into an inside-the-park home run.   Gordon would have been toast.   

Agree, but the way Bumgarner was dealing it might have been worth it to take the chance that there would be a bad relay or something.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #857 on: October 30, 2014, 08:19:10 AM »

The pitchers moved at the trade deadline this year showed that pitching can generally be available.

I've read that the Cubs will definitely go after at least one top pitcher this year, but may also target another pitcher the year after.

Finally, it's not like the Cubs have really had a problem finding starting pitching. They just keep dealing 2/5 of their rotation every deadline.

In other words, I agree with what you wrote, but wanted to add some color to it.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #858 on: October 30, 2014, 08:22:38 AM »
Agree, but the way Bumgarner was dealing it might have been worth it to take the chance that there would be a bad relay or something.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.   Gordon runs through the stop sign and the Giants make an accurate relay and he is out by 30 feet and is the eternal goat.   Banking on a team that has made it to the 9th inning of the 7th game of the World Series to make a third defensive mistake on the same play so that you can score a little league-style tying run.    Extreme long shot. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #859 on: October 30, 2014, 08:33:36 AM »
Cubs are unbelievably well positioned right now. Not only do they have the money to sign FA pitching, they also have a surplus of young MLB or close to MLB ready prospects that can be traded for pitching. They proved last year what a prospect like Addison Reed can net in a trade.

They won't be quite all the way there this year. Still need to shake out the core group of players, but over then next season and couple of off seasons, they likely will have completed FA signings, trades, etc., to be very good for a number of years. Any roster weaknesses that remain a year from now should be easily addressed via FA signing or trade.

Brewers would be wise to get bold this off season and take advantage of their rotation while it is still intact, as that division is just going to continue to get better.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #860 on: October 30, 2014, 08:44:55 AM »
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.   Gordon runs through the stop sign and the Giants make an accurate relay and he is out by 30 feet and is the eternal goat.   Banking on a team that has made it to the 9th inning of the 7th game of the World Series to make a third defensive mistake on the same play so that you can score a little league-style tying run.    Extreme long shot. 

Yeah, you're right of course.  I had 0% confidence that run was going to score once Gordon stopped at 3rd.  The reality was a little higher than that.  If he ran it would have been 10-15%.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #861 on: October 30, 2014, 08:51:48 AM »

Pitching is available and can be bought but long-term, big money contracts rarely work out well when it comes to pitchers.

Gil Meche 5yr/$55M - Bust whose retirement saved KC over $30M.

Barry Zito - 7yr/$126M - Bust

Carlos Silva - 4yr/$48M - Such a bust that he was traded for Milton Bradley

AJ Burnett - 5yr/$83M - Bust who was eventually traded just to get him off the roster

CC Sabathia - 8yr/$182M - Very good for 4 years, rough season, injury-plagued season. Still owed nearly $75M.

John Lackey - 6yr/$83M (Theo) - Bad season, awful season, missed season, good season, above average season. Not worth $83M.

Cliff Lee - 5yr/$120M - 3 outstanding seasons then an injury-plagued season. 36yo and still owed at least $38M, possibly up to $52M.

CJ Wilson - 5yr/$78M - Above average season, good season, bad season. Still owed $38M

Anibal Sanchez - 5yr/$88M - Great season, above average injury-plagued season

Zack Greinke - 6yr/$159M - 2 outstanding seasons

Edwin Jackson - 4yr/$52M (Theo) - 2 awful seasons, still owed $22M
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 08:54:57 AM by MerrittsMustache »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #862 on: October 30, 2014, 09:07:03 AM »
Yeah, you're right of course.  I had 0% confidence that run was going to score once Gordon stopped at 3rd.  The reality was a little higher than that.  If he ran it would have been 10-15%.

As soon as they booted the ball at the wall, I immediately thought he might try to score (especially after seeing Billy score from 1st early on), I was surprised to see him barely rounding 2nd at that point, but then I remembered that Gordy runs about as well as Billy Butler and yet had another base to go.

If Sveum was in the 3B box, would Gordy have been sent?  Even a below-average relay gets him at the plate; the 3B coach would have to be banking on hope for a bad hop or a throw way off-line, because there's no way there would have been a collision with Posey at the plate.

Something for Royal fans to ponder over the next couple decades.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #863 on: October 30, 2014, 09:10:24 AM »
Cubs are unbelievably well positioned right now. Not only do they have the money to sign FA pitching, they also have a surplus of young MLB or close to MLB ready prospects that can be traded for pitching. They proved last year what a prospect like Addison Reed can net in a trade

Addison Reed wasn't a Cub prospect, he was the White Sox closer, but the Sox did prove that someone will overpay for a dime a dozen closer - Adam Eaton was a very good get,

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #864 on: October 30, 2014, 09:18:33 AM »
Addison Reed wasn't a Cub prospect, he was the White Sox closer, but the Sox did prove that someone will overpay for a dime a dozen closer - Adam Eaton was a very good get,

He meant Addison Russell who the Cubs got in the Samardzija trade.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #865 on: October 30, 2014, 09:29:21 AM »
Serious question, where does Doyers come from? My girlfriend whose a dodgers fan and from So Cal always calls them that too. Is it supposed to be making fun of them?

No, it's not making fun of them....part of everyday dialogue here in So. Cal, of course somewhere someone is outraged somewhere ( http://www.presstelegram.com/social-affairs/20141001/is-the-los-angeles-dodgers-los-doyers-moniker-offensive )  

In So. Cal this is the adopted name used to call the Dodgers by Hispanics.  The name has become so prevalent now that on the morning drive-ins a number of the announcers just say Los Doyers.  The Dodgers trademarked Los Doyers about 5 years ago.  Go to Dodger Stadium and you can buy a Dodger Dog or a Doyer Dog.

Here's a bit of the history on it.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20131015/how-the-los-angeles-dodgers-became-known-as-los-doyers

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #866 on: October 30, 2014, 10:23:43 AM »

The Sox got Eaton for Hector Santiago.  The got Matt Davidson for Reed.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #867 on: October 30, 2014, 10:26:37 AM »
As soon as they booted the ball at the wall, I immediately thought he might try to score (especially after seeing Billy score from 1st early on), I was surprised to see him barely rounding 2nd at that point, but then I remembered that Gordy runs about as well as Billy Butler and yet had another base to go.

If Sveum was in the 3B box, would Gordy have been sent?  Even a below-average relay gets him at the plate; the 3B coach would have to be banking on hope for a bad hop or a throw way off-line, because there's no way there would have been a collision with Posey at the plate.

That would have been crazy.  I can't lie, when he booted the ball it occurred to me, and when the LF couldn't grac the ball, I really thought it was a possibility.  Crawford was getting the ball right when Gordon was rounding 3rd.  It would have been a close play.  Crawford has a great arm, but there is alot that needs to go right to get Gordon.  Considering how Perez had struggled, especially with runners on, well who knows.  Would have been an epic end to the game anyways.  Who knows, maybe that stupid home plate rule could have come into play.  So, I guess, thankfully he stayed. 

Bumgarner was just unreal.  

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #868 on: October 30, 2014, 10:30:04 AM »
Pitching is available and can be bought but long-term, big money contracts rarely work out well when it comes to pitchers.

Or hitters...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #869 on: October 30, 2014, 10:35:30 AM »
Cubs are unbelievably well positioned right now. Not only do they have the money to sign FA pitching, they also have a surplus of young MLB or close to MLB ready prospects that can be traded for pitching. They proved last year what a prospect like Addison Reed can net in a trade.

They won't be quite all the way there this year. Still need to shake out the core group of players, but over then next season and couple of off seasons, they likely will have completed FA signings, trades, etc., to be very good for a number of years. Any roster weaknesses that remain a year from now should be easily addressed via FA signing or trade.

Brewers would be wise to get bold this off season and take advantage of their rotation while it is still intact, as that division is just going to continue to get better.

Under Theo, the Cubs have pretty much done everything right with drafting, player development, the stadium, etc.  They knew they had to tear the whole thing down and build it over.  And it's going to work.

I wouldn't doubt that they are still in wild card contention come August next summer.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #870 on: October 30, 2014, 10:38:22 AM »

If Sveum was in the 3B box, would Gordy have been sent?  Even a below-average relay gets him at the plate; the 3B coach would have to be banking on hope for a bad hop or a throw way off-line, because there's no way there would have been a collision with Posey at the plate.

Talked about this with my friends. He slowed down once he rounded second because I dont think he saw the bobble and just saw the stop sign. I think if he runs full speed all the way through you have a chance but with Bumgarner pitching and Perez not being able to drive through the ball because of his leg I think you gotta take the change and send him. Relays are tough and a lot has to go right.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #871 on: October 30, 2014, 10:43:22 AM »

Nice analysis:

"No, Alex Gordon could not have scored on the misplayed ball"

http://deadspin.com/no-alex-gordon-could-not-have-scored-on-the-misplayed-1652625998

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #872 on: October 30, 2014, 11:16:22 AM »
Under Theo, the Cubs have pretty much done everything right with drafting, player development, the stadium, etc.  They knew they had to tear the whole thing down and build it over.  And it's going to work.

I wouldn't doubt that they are still in wild card contention come August next summer.

It is a very exciting time to be a Cubs fan, especially if one has been paying attention to the farm system.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #873 on: October 30, 2014, 12:52:38 PM »
It is a very exciting time to be a Cubs fan, especially if one has been paying attention to the farm system.

We've heard that line many times before. Just wait until Brett Jackson and Josh Vitters get to the bigs. And don't forget when the Cubs were led to the promised land by Dusty Baker and the young nucleus of Mark Prior, Corey Patterson and Hee-Soep Choi. Oh, let's not leave future HOFers Kevin Orie, Gary Scott, Felix Pie, Donnie Veal and Sean Gallagher out of the discussion.

Having highly-regarded prospects means nothing until they produce at the big league level.

brandx

« Reply #874 on: October 30, 2014, 01:35:11 PM »
We've heard that line many times before. Just wait until Brett Jackson and Josh Vitters get to the bigs. And don't forget when the Cubs were led to the promised land by Dusty Baker and the young nucleus of Mark Prior, Corey Patterson and Hee-Soep Choi. Oh, let's not leave future HOFers Kevin Orie, Gary Scott, Felix Pie, Donnie Veal and Sean Gallagher out of the discussion.

Having highly-regarded prospects means nothing until they produce at the big league level.

I saw brett Jackson in AA when he was there best prospect. He sucked. The year after Jackson was their top prospect, I saw him in a game when he batted 7th and was taken out as part of a double-switch in the 6th inning. I saw Baez in AA as their best prospect and he was a monster. The eye test said he was a young version of Hanley Ramirez or Gary Sheffield.

I'm not a Cub fan but there is absolutely NO COMPARISON between, Baez, Bryant, Soler, Addison, etc. and the likes of Jackson, Vitter, Orie, Patterson, etc.