collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2014 MLB Thread & Pissing Match  (Read 242709 times)

brandx

Re: 2014 MLB Thread & Pissing Match
« Reply #425 on: July 21, 2014, 09:17:29 PM »
Not really.  There is nothing obvious anyways.  Even when they are terrible, I watch the Sox religiously, I can't think of any bad blood with the royals

I couldn't find any either. 6 hit batters just seemed like a lot between two teams. And I don't think there were any games where there was more than one - until tonite.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #426 on: July 24, 2014, 04:19:48 PM »
This dude has been to every ballpark and ranks them all. Pretty cool. I'm not a guy who's dieing to get to them all, but totally understand the people who are.

http://natsinsider.com/2014/07/24/ranking-all-30-mlb-ballparks/
Bring back FFP!!!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #427 on: July 27, 2014, 08:20:01 PM »
This dude has been to every ballpark and ranks them all. Pretty cool. I'm not a guy who's dieing to get to them all, but totally understand the people who are.

http://natsinsider.com/2014/07/24/ranking-all-30-mlb-ballparks/

Been to many, hope to get to them all.  Everyone, of course, will have different rankings.  My bias is showing, but how Dodger stadium can rank that high is beyond me.  It's a dump in my opinion. Has been showing it's age for the last 20 years.

PNC is fabulous.  KC, actually I would put in top 5.  Love Petco as well.  He definitely has the last 3 correct, at least based on my visits there. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #428 on: July 27, 2014, 10:53:35 PM »
Been to many, hope to get to them all.  Everyone, of course, will have different rankings.  My bias is showing, but how Dodger stadium can rank that high is beyond me.  It's a dump in my opinion. Has been showing it's age for the last 20 years.

PNC is fabulous.  KC, actually I would put in top 5.  Love Petco as well.  He definitely has the last 3 correct, at least based on my visits there.  

I haven't been to many (just 2 Brewers, White Sox, old Twins, Reds, Braves, and Astros I believe), so I couldn't really tell you if Minute Maid is overrated or Miller Park is underrated, but there's no way you put Minute Maid 8 spots above Miller. They're the same ballpark and everything he knocks Miller Park for can be said exactly for Minute Maid. I'd even say I think more highly of Miller just because there is more to do, both inside and outside the park. Inside you have an area for younger kids to play around at in Miller Park and you have TGI Friday's. Outside obviously tons of parking to tailgate. Plus there's seating around the entire park and the seats actually angle towards home plate. Minute Maid outside you have a giant convention center and just city streets around it. Inside there's really nothing besides 1 bar on the opposite side of the main hallway from the field and the fan shop. Plus it's a baseball field built into a rectangular building, so there is no seating from CF to LF minus a few rows where they made a 320 foot wall straight down left. It's a building that a football field would be better suited for. Also, I was sitting between 1B and RF and the seats were not angled towards home plate at all. If I looked straight forward I was looking square at the LF wall. Had to either sit on the edge of your seat or crank your neck the whole game to watch the actual game. And the only reason he can come up with for Miller Park not being as good as lost of the others in the league holds exactly true for Minute Maid: there is absolutely no background scenery to be seen from inside the park whatsoever.

I pretty much disagree with everything the guy wrote about Minute Maid especially when I compare it to Miller. He says it's especially nice when the roof is open at Minute Maid. That was the best thing they had going for them (well, that and the open seating policy...get tickets for $10 from a scalper and sit 5th row, not bad, and they proudly advertise that).  Thought it was amazing that the air conditioned that thing. No warmer than 70 degrees in there and it was 90 degrees outside when we went. That was the 1 big plus about that stadium, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 11:03:49 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #429 on: July 28, 2014, 10:49:20 AM »
I think he ranks Camden Yards a little too high.  They were the first of the new wave of faux-retro ballparks, and it was brilliant at the time.  But a lot of the subsequent ones I've been to (Philadelphia and Cleveland come to mind) are slightly improved versions.  Hit the nail on the head about Pittsburgh, which is just beautiful.  I liked KC better, but I'm sure I'm in the minority there.

The problem with all of the newer ballparks is that the expensive seats are great and the cheaper upper deck seats are terrible.  First time I went to Camden Yards we were in the upper deck and the seats were miserable and we ended up going out toward Boog's BarBQ and watching from beyond the centerfield fence because we could see the game better.  I read somewhere that the closest upper deck seat in Camden Yards is farther from the field than the farthest upper deck seat was at the old Memorial Stadium.  I don't know if its true, but it sure feels that way.

My advice to anyone traveling to see ballparks is to pony up the cash and get the best seats you can afford.  My wife is away visting with her mother so my son and I decided two weeks ago to visit another ballpark, and flew down to Atlanta last Friday morning for two games.  Got the 6th row behind the visitors dugout Friday and the 11th row behind the home dugout on Saturday.  Got the tickets on Stubhub for less than face value.  By the way, that's a very nice park though a bit generic and Atlanta is very hot and the pre-game traffic is terrible.  Feels brand new but they're already leaving.

Finally, the NY stadiums are just terrible, easily the worst two of the new parks I've been to.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #430 on: July 28, 2014, 10:54:53 AM »
The guy has a thing for being able to see city skylines from the Stadium.  Don't get me wrong.  It's nice and all, but the couple times I have been to Miller Park, which in no way has a nice scenery, they have a lot of fun at the games and keep people entertained.

OTOH, I have been to Target Field, and while the park is very nice, it's kind of dull.  (And the food was terrible.) 

I agree with CTWarrior with regard to tickets.  If I have a set amount of money to go to baseball games in a given year, I would go to less of them, but get good seats.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #431 on: July 28, 2014, 12:27:48 PM »
Very interesting couple of days between Brewers and Rays upcoming...on the one hand if the Brewers beat up on the Rays, they all but guarantee that they will trade David Price, likely to the Cardinals or Dodgers. Good to win the games, but not so good for the remainder of the season/playoffs. On the other hand, if the Tays beat up on the Brewers, the Brewers take a hit in the standings, but it becomes more likely that the Rays hang onto Price. Finally, it now appears that the Brewers may actually be in the mix for Price.  Will be interesting to see what happens.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #432 on: July 28, 2014, 12:33:26 PM »
Very interesting couple of days between Brewers and Rays upcoming...on the one hand if the Brewers beat up on the Rays, they all but guarantee that they will trade David Price, likely to the Cardinals or Dodgers. Good to win the games, but not so good for the remainder of the season/playoffs. On the other hand, if the Tays beat up on the Brewers, the Brewers take a hit in the standings, but it becomes more likely that the Rays hang onto Price. Finally, it now appears that the Brewers may actually be in the mix for Price.  Will be interesting to see what happens.

Really?  Where did you see that.  I'm not sure who we have to give up in order to get him, talk about a depleted farm system as it is...but that would be real nice.  Just bring him along on the flight out of Tampa!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #433 on: July 28, 2014, 01:11:23 PM »
The Brewers are one of the teams who have asked about Price, FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports.  A source tells Rosenthal that the Crew just put their “foot in the water” of the Price sweepstakes, so it remains to be seen if Milwaukee was making a due diligence move or if they have a deeper interest.  As Rosenthal notes, the Brewers would be “a long shot” to end up with Price given the relative lack of depth in their farm system (especially compared to the Cardinals and other teams connected to Price) and their ability to afford Price’s possible $20MM salary through arbitration in 2015.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/zMRrNY0pxfM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/zMRrNY0pxfM</a>

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #434 on: July 28, 2014, 01:21:38 PM »
Certainly would appear to be a long shot, but obviously a pretty strong track record (Sabathia and Grineke) suggest it is well within the realm of possibilities. All of that said however, their starting staff was no whe near as strong as it is now in either of those instances. If they truly were to make a play for him, it is about winning in the playoffs (not just getting there) and also keeping him away from the Cardinals or Dodgers.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #435 on: July 28, 2014, 02:19:37 PM »
Or maybe they are driving up the Price (ha ha) that the Cardinals would have to pay.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #436 on: July 28, 2014, 03:31:05 PM »
Certainly would appear to be a long shot, but obviously a pretty strong track record (Sabathia and Grineke) suggest it is well within the realm of possibilities. All of that said however, their starting staff was no whe near as strong as it is now in either of those instances. If they truly were to make a play for him, it is about winning in the playoffs (not just getting there) and also keeping him away from the Cardinals or Dodgers.

While the track record is good, the prospects are no longer there.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #437 on: July 28, 2014, 03:45:47 PM »
I'm good with getting a bat or two for the bench and rolling.  Should take about $3 and a Uecker autographed glove to get upgrades over Schafer and Herrera/Bianchi/Falu.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #438 on: July 28, 2014, 09:55:35 PM »
The guy has a thing for being able to see city skylines from the Stadium.  Don't get me wrong.  It's nice and all, but the couple times I have been to Miller Park, which in no way has a nice scenery, they have a lot of fun at the games and keep people entertained.

OTOH, I have been to Target Field, and while the park is very nice, it's kind of dull.  (And the food was terrible.) 

I agree with CTWarrior with regard to tickets.  If I have a set amount of money to go to baseball games in a given year, I would go to less of them, but get good seats.

MLB Rule 1.04 says that it is most desirable to orient the stadium so that a line from home plate to second base shall point ENE. Too bad Bud had to bend the rule on that one.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #439 on: July 29, 2014, 11:03:04 PM »
Jon Lester scratched from tomorrow's start, seems like he will be on the move.  I've heard the Pirates are a possible destination.  That would be a huge pick up for them.  The O's and M's have also been linked to Lester.  It will be interesting to see where he ends up.  He can certainly be a game changing addition.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #440 on: July 30, 2014, 08:31:38 AM »
Pirates probably need Lester to hang with Brewers and Cards down the stretch. Now, if one of those two teams were to get him (sounds like Brewers no longer involved), that would probably put them over the top in the division (assuming no major acquisitions by the other).

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #441 on: July 31, 2014, 09:33:50 AM »
Jon Lester scratched from tomorrow's start, seems like he will be on the move.  I've heard the Pirates are a possible destination.  That would be a huge pick up for them.  The O's and M's have also been linked to Lester.  It will be interesting to see where he ends up.  He can certainly be a game changing addition.

Looks like he's going to the A's with Jonny Gomes for Yoenis Cespedes.  Great trade for the Red Sox, I think.  Cespedes much better than a sandwich draft pick is likely to be for compensation when they lost him to free agency.  A's are going all in to win now.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #442 on: July 31, 2014, 10:00:21 AM »
Looks like he's going to the A's with Jonny Gomes for Yoenis Cespedes.  Great trade for the Red Sox, I think.  Cespedes much better than a sandwich draft pick is likely to be for compensation when they lost him to free agency.  A's are going all in to win now.

The A's just completely monopolized the starting pitching trade market.  They might as well have traded to get Price just for craps and giggles (who is going nowhere).  Chicos, your Angels don't have the pieces to make a counter move.  Good thing the A's can never seem to get over the hump that is the ALCS.

A's make another trade with the Twinkies.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #443 on: July 31, 2014, 10:38:27 AM »
A's make another trade with the Twinkies.

A decent left-handed starter who isn't a free agent until 2018 for an average 4th/platoon outfielder who they had DFA'd in April.  Think they're looking to win this year?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #444 on: July 31, 2014, 11:48:44 AM »
Morneau activated from the DL this morning.  I have a feeling he's not going to be in a Rockies uniform this weekend.

The question is whether Melvin has the cohones to trade Jimmy Nelson to Colorado. 

Lefty bat
Top 10 BA in MLB
OPS 4th in NL amongst 1B
Ridiculous 2014 splits in the clutch
Decent splits against SF, LAD and STL (with whom the Brewers have a combined 22 games remaining)

Seems to me that he could be the centerpiece of what the Brewers' offense is missing.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #445 on: July 31, 2014, 11:57:44 AM »
Morneau activated from the DL this morning. 

He's played the last two games at Wrigley, (totaling about 150 hours of baseball).

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #446 on: July 31, 2014, 12:14:39 PM »
He's played the last two games at Wrigley, (totaling about 150 hours of baseball).

Well there you go.  He's an Ironman, too.

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #447 on: July 31, 2014, 12:33:47 PM »
Morneau activated from the DL this morning.  I have a feeling he's not going to be in a Rockies uniform this weekend.

The question is whether Melvin has the cohones to trade Jimmy Nelson to Colorado.  

Lefty bat
Top 10 BA in MLB
OPS 4th in NL amongst 1B
Ridiculous 2014 splits in the clutch
Decent splits against SF, LAD and STL (with whom the Brewers have a combined 22 games remaining)

Seems to me that he could be the centerpiece of what the Brewers' offense is missing.

No way would I trade five years of cost controlled Nelson for 2 months of Justin Morneau.

Edit - My fault, I see it's a 2 year contract for Morneau.  Still though, that's a lot to invest in a 33 year old first baseman.  I certainly love the idea, I just feel that Nelson is too steep a price.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 12:41:08 PM by shiloh26 »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #448 on: July 31, 2014, 12:46:42 PM »
No way would I trade five years of cost controlled Nelson for 2 months of Justin Morneau.

Edit - My fault, I see it's a 2 year contract for Morneau.  Still though, that's a lot to invest in a 33 year old first baseman.  I certainly love the idea, I just feel that Nelson is too steep a price.

+1.  If it doesn't involve Nelson I'm all for it.

Well there you go.  He's an Ironman, too.

An ironman?  152 games played last year and 134 the year before are both good, but 69 and 81 games played the 2 previous years.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #449 on: July 31, 2014, 01:45:03 PM »
An ironman?  152 games played last year and 134 the year before are both good, but 69 and 81 games played the 2 previous years.

He played 150 hours of baseball in two days.  You're right, he's no ironman... he's like a carbon-fiber-titanium man.

BTW - Not big on the Gerardo Parra trade.  The only thing he's got going for him is that his career BA is higher in only two other extant NL stadiums than it is at Miller Park (Wrigley & Citi).