collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2014 MLB Thread & Pissing Match  (Read 242753 times)

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
Re: 2014 MLB Thread & Pissing Match
« Reply #175 on: April 24, 2014, 02:15:31 PM »
I don't consider 10 years ago and a different scouting department to be relevant to now.

Just look at the ratings of minor league systems by Baseball America for the last several years.

yeah, I thought it was accepted here that judging is only done at 5 years  :)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #176 on: April 24, 2014, 02:50:58 PM »
Well.........
Cubs have hotter girls at the games.
That's all I got.

Won't argue that.  Although I will say there are better looking girls at Brewers games than there are on Marquette's campus.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #177 on: April 24, 2014, 06:51:49 PM »
70 or more years of suffering for this kid.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #178 on: April 24, 2014, 07:26:24 PM »
I used to feel bad for Cubs fans.    Bartman changed that.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #179 on: April 24, 2014, 07:39:13 PM »
Bartman did nothing wrong at all.  The 2 or 3 errors, correctly me cubs fans, after the legal Bartman fiasco is why they lost.  Then the cubs still had game 7 to redeem themselves which they didn't. 

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #180 on: April 24, 2014, 07:49:12 PM »

Most Cubs fans don't feel anything for Bartman.  If you're a Cubs fan at all you realize he did nothing.  Gonzalez still couldn't field a grounder.  Prior still threw a 0-2 fastball down the middle to Rodriguez.   The only ones still yelling about Bartman are a handful of blowhards or ESPN trying to make a headline.
Saying you don't like Cubs fans because of Bartman would be the equivalent of not liking any Brewers fans because of Braun being cheered.

The way I rationalize any hope of for the future of the organization is because of how baseball has changed.  Up until the last few years of the 90's, mlb payrolls were all within a reasonable vicinity.  It was those last few years of the century that they got out of control and really began to separate.  You can argue that that is when the sport really started to suck, and you'd probably be right.
Teams with the top of the line payrolls, while obviously will not always win, will have a leg up.  It hasn't been that long that the Cubs have been operating within that system, and if they can figure out how to, it shouldn't be like the previous 100 years because they have a gigantic market and huge following and the ability to spend in the top 5.  The way the system is moving (and with all the $ at stake it's not about to change) they should be able to contend slightly more regularly and at least have a chance to lose bigger games instead of losing them all.
Even as a Cubs fan I hate MLB and how it's run. It's a terrible joke of a league.  But it's probably their only chance.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #181 on: April 24, 2014, 08:15:46 PM »
Won't argue that.  Although I will say there are better looking girls at Brewers games than there are on Marquette's campus.

There was nothing quite like the disappointment of spending a hot summer day at Bradford or Miller Park, then returning to campus.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #182 on: April 24, 2014, 08:27:36 PM »
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

You could have not said it better.  cub fans do not really think clearly.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #183 on: April 24, 2014, 08:35:54 PM »
To be more clear, the reaction to Bartman soured me on Cubs fans. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #184 on: April 24, 2014, 08:50:19 PM »
When I was 11 years old at the dump they call a field is when I soured on the cubs.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #185 on: April 24, 2014, 09:33:35 PM »
When I was 11 years old at the dump they call a field is when I soured on the cubs.

You sound like a sox fan.  ;D

chapman

• All American
« Reply #186 on: April 24, 2014, 10:31:34 PM »
I don't consider 10 years ago and a different scouting department to be relevant to now.

Just look at the ratings of minor league systems by Baseball America for the last several years.

Yep, our farm is pathetic.  One top 100 prospect, checking in at #96.  Not one position player worth considering in the entire system.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #187 on: April 25, 2014, 07:35:56 AM »
No, why would you ask? Their minor league prospects are rated near the bottom and have been for several years. You haven't seen many top 100 prospects over the last few years.

Go look at the Brewers roster and their record.

Now look where those players came from.

Since when does prospect rating mean success?

I thought you were joking, but you are obviously just ignorant about the Brewers lineup.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #188 on: April 25, 2014, 09:46:42 AM »
I guess, growing up as a Cubs fan in Milwaukee and now living in Chicago, I've never understood where the haughtiness or arrogance of Brewers fans towards the Cubs comes from.  Has this been an abysmal few years?  Sure.  But in the last 10 years, the Cubs still have more division titles and the same number of playoff berths and NLCS appearances as the Brewers.  I used to go to Brewers/Cubs games at Miller Park and have fun.  Now my car gets spit on in the parking lot cause I have Illinois plates.  We should be united in hate for the Cardinals.

As for the Cubs, this is the first year since the "rebuild" that I've been excited.  Spring Training showed some really good glimpses.  Javier Baez and Kris Bryant have the tools to be studs, Jorge Soler is promising, and a bit farther down the line, Alberto Almora looks really interesting.  Now if pitching CJ Edwards and Pierce Johnson can turn out, there is real promise.  Added to guys like Rizzo and Bonifacio, I think the Cubs will be sneaky competitive for a playoff berth next summer.  Who knows, maybe they can trick someone into taking Starlin "Soriano effort level 2.0" Castro for some pitching.  Fans have a right to be sick of losing, but any knowledgeable fan can see the organization, from a baseball perspective, is in good shape moving forward.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 10:20:29 AM by JWags85 »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #189 on: April 25, 2014, 09:52:59 AM »
I guess, growing up as a Cubs fan in Milwaukee and now living in Chicago, I've never understood where the haughtiness or arrogance of Brewers fans towards the Cubs comes from.  Has this been an abysmal few years?  Sure.  But in the last 10 years, the Cubs still have more division titles and the same number of playoff berths and NLCS appearances as the Brewers.  I used to go to Brewers/Cubs games at Miller Park and have fun.  Now my car gets spit on in the parking lot cause I have Illinois plates.  We should be united in hate for the Cardinals.

This I agree with. Im a White Sox fan but from what I remember the Cubs and Brewers were never rivals until like 5 years ago. My mom, who is a die hard Cubs fan, has no ill-feelings towards the Brewers and was actually up in MKE the other week to see the Brewers and Pirates.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #190 on: April 25, 2014, 10:07:53 AM »
This I agree with. Im a White Sox fan but from what I remember the Cubs and Brewers were never rivals until like 5 years ago. My mom, who is a die hard Cubs fan, has no ill-feelings towards the Brewers and was actually up in MKE the other week to see the Brewers and Pirates.

For you White Sox and Brewer fans, wasn't there a decent rivalry there back in the day?  What do you any of you remember of that?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #191 on: April 25, 2014, 10:33:33 AM »
For you White Sox and Brewer fans, wasn't there a decent rivalry there back in the day?  What do you any of you remember of that?

Bitter arguments, often ending in fistfights, over which was truly more distasteful... the Cubs or their fans.

Brewer fans simply don't care for Cubs fans.  We don't care about the actual Cubs team.
Sox fans hate the Cubs.  They can tolerate Cubs fans, probably because they have a common interest in the Bears and Hawks.  Or maybe it's because their pensions aren't funded... who knows.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #192 on: April 25, 2014, 10:46:00 AM »
Bitter arguments, often ending in fistfights, over which was truly more distasteful... the Cubs or their fans.

Brewer fans simply don't care for Cubs fans.  We don't care about the actual Cubs team.
Sox fans hate the Cubs.  They can tolerate Cubs fans, probably because they have a common interest in the Bears and Hawks.  Or maybe it's because their pensions aren't funded... who knows.

I personally dont hate the Cubs. Maybe thats just because besides myself I grew up in a Cubs household. Im the opposite where those nutter Cubs fans bother me more then the actual team.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #193 on: April 25, 2014, 10:53:48 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/e/JoumAUfwnI8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/e/JoumAUfwnI8</a>

This pretty much shows you all you need to know.  But if that wasn't enough...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3200582.stm

One Cubs fan parodied an FBI "Ten most wanted" poster on the net with Mr Bartman's picture on it. "Considered ignorant and extremely stupid," the poster reads. "Wanted for "interfering with crucial play... breaking the heart of an entire city."

The Chicago Sun-Times ran a picture of his intervention under the headline "Curses".

The Governor of Illinois, Rod Blagojevich, joined in the jibing with an offer to get Mr Bartman a spot in a witness protection programme.

One city alderman, Tom Allen, suggested he "move to Alaska".
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #194 on: April 25, 2014, 11:17:02 AM »
I went to 1 Cubs-Brewers game at Miller Park probably 5-6 years ago and swore I would never go to another one. I agree with Benny B's comments that it isn't the Cubs team but there are enough bullsh!t Cubs fans at Miller Park that the game experience is not enjoyable.

The row behind us had a group of 8-10 20-something drunk and obnoxious Cubs fans. From yelling Ben Shi!ts at the pitcher all day etc. it was embarrassing for the families of Cubs fans nearby who would their hands up whenever one turned around to look at the drunks after the latest thing they yelled about. From that day forward I will only watch Cubs-Brewers on TV and go to the park when any other team is in town.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #195 on: April 25, 2014, 11:57:44 AM »

I was at a lot of those games at Old County Stadium.  To say that the arguments amongst Sox and Brewers fans had anything to do with the Cubs is completely false.  Brewers fans hated the Sox fans, who would come up in busses filled with with flat-lander FIB's.  Before the Brewers switched to the NL, I don't remember any of their fans hating the Cubs, (why would they)?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #196 on: April 25, 2014, 03:46:26 PM »
I went to 1 Cubs-Brewers game at Miller Park probably 5-6 years ago and swore I would never go to another one. I agree with Benny B's comments that it isn't the Cubs team but there are enough bullsh!t Cubs fans at Miller Park that the game experience is not enjoyable.

The row behind us had a group of 8-10 20-something drunk and obnoxious Cubs fans. From yelling Ben Shi!ts at the pitcher all day etc. it was embarrassing for the families of Cubs fans nearby who would their hands up whenever one turned around to look at the drunks after the latest thing they yelled about. From that day forward I will only watch Cubs-Brewers on TV and go to the park when any other team is in town.

I made the same decision years ago as well, but it is far from limited tithe Cubs clad crowd. There are plenty of Brewer 'fans' who go out to Miller Park when the Cubs are in town to act like idiots simply because its the Cubs...seemingly trying to prove something. What, I don't know exactly. I think it has gotten better in recent years, but several years ago, those games we just toxic. The whole Wrigley North thing, etc. regardless of the side they took, wa too many people heading the ball park, intent on making it about them.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #197 on: April 25, 2014, 07:17:04 PM »
70 or more years of suffering for this kid.

Why would parents do that to their kids.  It is just mean.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #198 on: April 25, 2014, 07:32:27 PM »
I made the same decision years ago as well, but it is far from limited tithe Cubs clad crowd. There are plenty of Brewer 'fans' who go out to Miller Park when the Cubs are in town to act like idiots simply because its the Cubs...seemingly trying to prove something. What, I don't know exactly. I think it has gotten better in recent years, but several years ago, those games we just toxic. The whole Wrigley North thing, etc. regardless of the side they took, wa too many people heading the ball park, intent on making it about them.

Agreed, the idiot fans are out in full force for both teams when the Cubs visit town.

As far as tonight's game goes, the Cubs are already playing like a little league team all around.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #199 on: April 26, 2014, 09:11:47 AM »
Actually went to the game Friday night.  From the first inning the Cubs were throwing the ball all over the field. They're playing some of the worst baseball you'll ever see.   All the fans where I was were respectful, maybe because it wasn't much of a game.
The most cheering that really went on is when the Jonathan Toews scored in overtime.

I've been to good number of stadiums, and it turns out that there are jerks at all of them.  It seems like every year we're hearing stories get worse, and recently about people getting shot or paralyzed (out on the west coast).

feedback