[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2014 MLB Thread & Pissing Match  (Read 242775 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: 2014 MLB Thread & Pissing Match
« Reply #125 on: April 14, 2014, 11:47:57 AM »
Seattle is decent. Houston has more wins than I thought they would, which was zero. Arizona is playing dreadful, same with Cincy.

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #126 on: April 15, 2014, 04:21:34 PM »
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/its-never-too-early-for-a-winning-streak/

A nice article on how much/little to read into the Crew's early success. Outperforming your talent level for a few weeks, while not predictive, can certainly give you more room to play with later.

brandx

« Reply #127 on: April 15, 2014, 06:28:05 PM »
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/its-never-too-early-for-a-winning-streak/

A nice article on how much/little to read into the Crew's early success. Outperforming your talent level for a few weeks, while not predictive, can certainly give you more room to play with later.

Similar type article here with section on Brewers about halfway through the article::

http://grantland.com/features/mlb-power-rankings-the-30-twins-mariners-brewers-rays-giants/

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #128 on: April 15, 2014, 06:32:04 PM »
I had a feeling going into this series the Brewers would get big boyed by the Cards, per usual. Last night did nothing to change those feelings. We'll see about tonight. But I'll just saying being the best team in baseball for the first 1/14 of the season was fun!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 07:55:13 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #129 on: April 15, 2014, 06:36:12 PM »
I had a feeling going into this series the Brewers would get big boyed by thee Cards, per usual. Last night did nothing to change those feelings. We'll see about tonight. But I'll just saying being the best team in baseball for the first 1/14 of the season was fun!

The Cards have close to a .700 winning pct. against the Brewers.  It's ridiculous......  Now I know how the Bears feel when facing the Packers. 

brandx

« Reply #130 on: April 15, 2014, 09:59:13 PM »
A big part of the reason is that the Cards are and have been one of the best teams in baseball. You tend to lose to better teams, in general.

But I'm sure they have let it get into their heads which isn't helping.

brandx

« Reply #131 on: April 22, 2014, 03:53:07 PM »
Ridiculous for Gomez to get suspended 3 games. Maldonado deserved his 5 for throwing a punch.

But the guy who instigates the fight get nothing!

And for the Pirates to claim Gomez showboated by watching the ball was ridiculous.

Billy Ripken showed what the Pirates did in the series. Tabata hit a ball off the wall in right-center and only gets a double (took 11.4 seconds to reach 2nd basecuz he was watching the ball. McCutchen with only a double on a ball of the wall in right-center (11.5 seconds to reach 2nd base). Martin with a fly ball to the warning track in left - not even half way to 1st when it was caught as he watched the flight.

Gomez - 10.3 seconds to reach 2nd on his way to a triple. And maybe that is what upset the Pirates and Cole. Gomez out-hustled their guys - including the MVP. But they had to take it out on someone.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #132 on: April 22, 2014, 03:57:20 PM »
Ridiculous for Gomez to get suspended 3 games. Maldonado deserved his 5 for throwing a punch.

And for the Pirates to claim Gomez showboated by watching the ball was ridiculous.

Billy Ripken showed what the Pirates did in the series. Tabata hit a ball off the wall in right-center and only gets a double (took 11.4 seconds to reach 2nd basecuz he was watching the ball. McCutchen with only a double on a ball of the wall in right-center (11.5 seconds to reach 2nd base). Martin with a fly ball to the warning track in left - not even half way to 1st when it was caught as he watched the flight.

Gomez - 10.3 seconds to reach 2nd on his way to a triple. And maybe that is what upset the Pirates and Cole. Gomez out-hustled their guys - including the MVP. But they had to take it out on someone.

What upsets the Pirates and Cole is their 1-6 record against the Brewers so far this year.  They had their 1 year to shine and now forgot how to handle getting pounded by the Crew year in and year out.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NotBuzzWilliams

• Starter
« Reply #133 on: April 22, 2014, 04:40:46 PM »
You don't want someone to showboat?  Strike him out.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #134 on: April 22, 2014, 04:50:32 PM »
Eh, whatever. Same argument different season. Watch the ball, get drilled, move along.

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #135 on: April 22, 2014, 04:50:39 PM »

I have no problem with the 'showboating' by Gomez. Part of the game..who cares.

Cole can say what he wants and all Carlos has to do is yell back or keep him mouth shut. He hit a triple. He won. Who cares.

When Carlos flies off the handle and it clears the dugouts, he needs a suspension. Maybe Cole should get a game, but Cole didn't physically instigate anything.

Fair or not, Carlos needs to realize he's got a reputation around the league. I think some of it is undeserved, but he's not likely to ever get the benefit of the doubt again.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #136 on: April 22, 2014, 04:52:19 PM »
I have no problem with the 'showboating' by Gomez. Part of the game..who cares.

Cole can say what he wants and all Carlos has to do is yell back or keep him mouth shut. He hit a triple. He won. Who cares.

When Carlos flies off the handle and it clears the dugouts, he needs a suspension. Maybe Cole should get a game, but Cole didn't physically instigate anything.

Fair or not, Carlos needs to realize he's got a reputation around the league. I think some of it is undeserved, but he's not likely to ever get the benefit of the doubt again.

That's all it would have been if Snyder hadn't jumped in from the bench.  Maldanado gave him what he deserved.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #137 on: April 22, 2014, 05:25:21 PM »
That's all it would have been if Snyder hadn't jumped in from the bench.  Maldanado gave him what he deserved.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #138 on: April 22, 2014, 06:07:04 PM »

Hopefully he learned his lesson. Gomez was a fool for watching a fly ball. Cole was a fool for then yelling at the guy who just tripled on him (he should've been thanking him). Gomez was once again a fool for trying to run past the ump, but the ump did a good job stopping him and Cole had then walked away. Should've been done. But then Snyder decides to run at him, and when they get separated he decides to run around the group of players that got in between them and b!tch slap Gomez. Maldanado showed him how to actually hit somebody if he's going to act like that.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #139 on: April 23, 2014, 08:55:08 AM »
Can we all agree that the benches clearing brawl in baseball is one of the dumbest wastes of time in sports?  Seriously, I just watched the video of this fight and it made me laugh watching all of the guys running onto the field like, "shoot, I better get out their because the other 30 guys out there aren't going to be able to stop this fight". Especially the 60 year old coaches.

Not to mention the guys in the bullpen running out. You would think they would just say, screw it and at most have their own satellite fight by the outfield wall.

At least hockey players pair off and go at it for 45 seconds and then they are done.  Not all the "hold me back, hold me back". Granted this is one fight that actually landed a punch, but it is defiantly part of the 1%.

Just go ahead with the automatic suspension for leaving the dugout or your position on the field for defensive players (so it's not 9 on 1).  There are a lot of sentimental parts of baseball that I would hesitate getting rid of, but this is not one of them.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #140 on: April 23, 2014, 09:33:18 AM »
What upsets the Pirates and Cole is their 1-6 record against the Brewers so far this year.  They had their 1 year to shine and now forgot how to handle getting pounded by the Crew year in and year out.

Hilarious.  Brewers fans going around bragging about beating the Pirates every year.   It's the middle brother syndrome. 
They get to complain now though because your payroll is 20% higher than theirs.   

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #141 on: April 23, 2014, 11:46:06 AM »
Hilarious.  Brewers fans going around bragging about beating the Pirates every year.   It's the middle brother syndrome. 
They get to complain now though because your payroll is 20% higher than theirs.   

Just looking at since the Brewers joined the NL, the winning percentages against the Pirates are:

STL: 153-102 60%
MIL: 139-111 55.6%
CHC: 138-113 54.9%
CIN: 133-125 51.5%

Basically, the Pirates are sick of losing to everybody.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #142 on: April 23, 2014, 11:54:33 AM »
Can we all agree that the benches clearing brawl in baseball is one of the dumbest wastes of time in sports?  Seriously, I just watched the video of this fight and it made me laugh watching all of the guys running onto the field like, "shoot, I better get out their because the other 30 guys out there aren't going to be able to stop this fight". Especially the 60 year old coaches.

Not to mention the guys in the bullpen running out. You would think they would just say, screw it and at most have their own satellite fight by the outfield wall.

At least hockey players pair off and go at it for 45 seconds and then they are done.  Not all the "hold me back, hold me back". Granted this is one fight that actually landed a punch, but it is defiantly part of the 1%.

Just go ahead with the automatic suspension for leaving the dugout or your position on the field for defensive players (so it's not 9 on 1).  There are a lot of sentimental parts of baseball that I would hesitate getting rid of, but this is not one of them.

Agreed.  At least when I played hockey, I could skate around in my crease by myself while everyone else brawled and no one would ever thought less of me for minding my own business.  But try to be that guy who just sits back in the dugout by yourself and the entire league - even the guys on the other team - will ostracize you.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #143 on: April 23, 2014, 11:57:13 AM »
Just looking at since the Brewers joined the NL, the winning percentages against the Pirates are:

STL: 153-102 60%
MIL: 139-111 55.6%
CHC: 138-113 54.9%
CIN: 133-125 51.5%

Basically, the Pirates are sick of losing to everybody.

True.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #144 on: April 23, 2014, 03:37:42 PM »
Buddy of mine and 4-5 friends are looking to go rooftop for a Cubs game this summer.

What say you Cubs fan?  Any recs?  Any places to stay away from?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #145 on: April 23, 2014, 04:11:30 PM »
Buddy of mine and 4-5 friends are looking to go rooftop for a Cubs game this summer.

Have you been looking at any in particular?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #146 on: April 23, 2014, 04:26:54 PM »
A quick applause to Mr. Pujols.  It's unfortunate that what used to be a great accomplishment has been diminished a great deal the last decade or so.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10822128/albert-pujols-chase-500-home-runs-had-no-buzz

Another solid article on just how elite  http://espn.go.com/blog/jayson-stark/post/_/id/769/appreciating-albert-pujols

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #147 on: April 23, 2014, 04:29:30 PM »

Well you have the right idea staying away from wrigley. 

reinko

• All American
« Reply #148 on: April 23, 2014, 05:12:00 PM »
Have you been looking at any in particular?

Nah,  I'm just an idiot Brewers trying to help a friend who will be visiting for the first time later this summer.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #149 on: April 23, 2014, 05:15:16 PM »
A quick applause to Mr. Pujols.  It's unfortunate that what used to be a great accomplishment has been diminished a great deal the last decade or so.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10822128/albert-pujols-chase-500-home-runs-had-no-buzz

Another solid article on just how elite  http://espn.go.com/blog/jayson-stark/post/_/id/769/appreciating-albert-pujols

And it's too bad that he's part of why the feat has been so diminished (I realize, he was never caught...but he, just like almost every major player of the generation, is dirty as well).

feedback