collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 583321 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #2350 on: March 05, 2015, 12:08:19 PM »
Have you taken a look at the WRs who make $12 million/year?  Cobb isn't even close to that level.  Cobb isn't even the #1 receiver.  You want Ted to pay his #2 receiver $12 million/year?  Wow.  Talk about a genius move...

And yeah, I guess Julius Peppers wasn't proven.

No thanks to a punk who's going to be paid more than any defensive player in the NFL.

Ya, even as a Bears fan, we need as much help as we can get on the D Line and I wouldn't want Suh within 20 miles of Halas Hall.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #2351 on: March 05, 2015, 12:17:53 PM »
According to Rotoworld:

"At least ten" former members of the Lovie Smith and Marc Trestman coaching staffs told ESPN Chicago the Bears "can't consistently compete for championships" with Jay Cutler as the quarterback.

Two Bears teammates also said they consider Cutler "a divisive figure with whom they'd rather not continue to play." Beat writer Michael C. Wright still expects the Bears to give Cutler "one last shot," something his contract almost requires they do. It's no secret Cutler essentially sabotaged Trestman's offense, refusing to operate within the confines of the system. When asked about his willingness to adhere to any offensive structure, several ex-Bears coaches used the terms "renegade" and "rogue" to describe Cutler's play

What I wonder is if there are also "at least 10" former Bears' coaches and 2+ current players who believe that the team CAN contend with Cutler at QB. Maybe there are 20, maybe there aren't any. Unfortunately, that's not an attention-grabbing story so we'll never know. Not defending Cutler, just saying that taking a poll of former coaches would be a much better representation of how Cutler is viewed than simply finding the "non-believers" and running with that story.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #2352 on: March 05, 2015, 12:19:10 PM »
Ya, even as a Bears fan, we need as much help as we can get on the D Line and I wouldn't want Suh within 20 miles of Halas Hall.

For the right price, I'd take Suh on the Bears in a second.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2353 on: March 05, 2015, 12:25:59 PM »
For the right price, I'd take Suh on the Bears in a second.

Yeah, for the right price I would too.  But more than JJ Watt's 6 year, $100 million with more than his $52 million guaranteed is not the right price.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2354 on: March 05, 2015, 01:21:54 PM »
What I wonder is if there are also "at least 10" former Bears' coaches and 2+ current players who believe that the team CAN contend with Cutler at QB. Maybe there are 20, maybe there aren't any. Unfortunately, that's not an attention-grabbing story so we'll never know. Not defending Cutler, just saying that taking a poll of former coaches would be a much better representation of how Cutler is viewed than simply finding the "non-believers" and running with that story.

Agreed, these stories are lazy journalism at best.  That's not a ringing endorsement of Cutler or anything of the like, but its just really spurious.  I also find terms like "renegade" and "rogue" are hilarious to idict a player as a problem when there have been countless reports of the team not taking Trestman seriously and undermining his "authority" at meetings, practices, and the like.  It would be great if these anonymous sources would speak up and let Bears fans know who would be a better fit to run the offense.  The bad PR and dysfunction at Halas Hall is far more concerning than anonymous criticisms of Cutler at this point.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #2355 on: March 05, 2015, 01:33:53 PM »
I was waiting for my bud Wadesworld.  ;).  I'll agree Cobb is a "2" on the pack but he's a top 10 receiver in all of the nfl.  Packers have the 8th most cap space at 33 million.  They need at least that second threat in a passing league.  Adams didn't impress me on the whole.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2356 on: March 05, 2015, 02:01:30 PM »
I was waiting for my bud Wadesworld.  ;).  I'll agree Cobb is a "2" on the pack but he's a top 10 receiver in all of the nfl.  Packers have the 8th most cap space at 33 million.  They need at least that second threat in a passing league.  Adams didn't impress me on the whole.

C'mon.  Cobb is not a top 10 WR in the NFL.

Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, AJ Green, Dez Bryant, Jordy, Demarius Thomas, Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, Emmanual Sanders, TY Hilton are all better than him.

Guys in the same tier as him include Jeremy Maclin, Odell Beckham, DeSean Jackson, Alshon Jeffrey, Steve Smith, Mike Evans, Sammy Watkins, Andre Johnson (top tier when healthy), and Mike Wallace.  You don't pay any of these guys anywhere near $12 million/year.

You simply don't pay a #2 WR $12 million/year, especially when your clear number 1 is getting $9 million/year and the #2 guy you are going to pay $12 million/year is a slot WR, small, and an injury risk.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2357 on: March 05, 2015, 02:10:04 PM »
The question about Suh isn't whether a team would want him.   They would and they should.  The question is whether you want to commit the amount of $ to him that his agents want.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #2358 on: March 05, 2015, 02:31:04 PM »
I was waiting for my bud Wadesworld.  ;).  I'll agree Cobb is a "2" on the pack but he's a top 10 receiver in all of the nfl.  Packers have the 8th most cap space at 33 million.  They need at least that second threat in a passing league.  Adams didn't impress me on the whole.

Cobb rookie stats:  25 receptions 375 yards 1 td

Adams rookie stats:  38 receptions 446 yards 3 td.

Adams had a very good season for a rookie wide receiver. Better than the guy you want to spend 12 mil on.

The Packers shouldn't over pay for cobb. The 12 million number is just the agent blowing smoke up everyone's ass. He may get it, but he is not worth that. Small slot receivers are easy to come by.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 02:39:09 PM by hairy worthen »

brandx

« Reply #2359 on: March 05, 2015, 04:50:30 PM »
Cobb rookie stats:  25 receptions 375 yards 1 td

Adams rookie stats:  38 receptions 446 yards 3 td.

Adams had a very good season for a rookie wide receiver. Better than the guy you want to spend 12 mil on.

The Packers shouldn't over pay for cobb. The 12 million number is just the agent blowing smoke up everyone's ass. He may get it, but he is not worth that. Small slot receivers are easy to come by.

A little misleading as Cobb had 3 vets ahead of him as a rookie. Adams only had 2 so he got more playing time. I'd rather see stats for how many plays each was on the field for as a rookie - then we could get a more accurate stat with the ratio of catches/number of plays on field.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #2360 on: March 06, 2015, 07:56:00 AM »
Right or wrong Thompson believes that Rodgers makes his receivers better.  Look at Jennings.  Don't you think he'd rather be a Packer? 

Where's he gonna go?  Oakland?  Jacksonville?

If he wants to win he stays with the Pack.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2361 on: March 06, 2015, 08:55:35 AM »
Right or wrong Thompson believes that Rodgers makes his receivers better.  Look at Jennings.  Don't you think he'd rather be a Packer? 

Where's he gonna go?  Oakland?  Jacksonville?

If he wants to win he stays with the Pack.

'xactly.  Would much rather sign Julius Thomas and resign Bullaga while addressing the slot WR position in the draft than pay $12 million/year for a #2, small slot WR.  And Cobb is my favorite Packer, maybe my favorite Packer ever.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #2362 on: March 06, 2015, 09:53:02 AM »
'xactly.  Would much rather sign Julius Thomas and resign Bullaga while addressing the slot WR position in the draft than pay $12 million/year for a #2, small slot WR.  And Cobb is my favorite Packer, maybe my favorite Packer ever.
And if memory serves, The Vikes did not pay all that much more for Jennings than the Packers offered.  If Cobb will sign for $9ish million, keep him.  $12 million NOT.

JuniorCardigan

• Walk-On
« Reply #2363 on: March 06, 2015, 10:05:11 AM »

Cobb is not a top 10 receiver in the NFL, no way

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2364 on: March 06, 2015, 10:10:36 AM »
Jennings may be a cap casualty.  Getting him back on the cheap may be the better option.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2365 on: March 06, 2015, 10:13:36 AM »
Jennings may be a cap casualty.  Getting him back on the cheap may be the better option.

Never even thought of that.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #2366 on: March 06, 2015, 10:14:02 AM »
No way?  Cobb was #9 in receptions and #4 in td's last year.  If anything he surely is.

Adams had difficulty getting separation against nickel backs often last year.  Receiver is the new premium position.  Can't hope you hit on a third rounder in the draft especially with our infinitely porous defense that needs to be addressed.

Julius Thomas?  TT doesn't sign free agents in their prime.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2367 on: March 06, 2015, 10:20:12 AM »
No way?  Cobb was #9 in receptions and #4 in td's last year.  If anything he surely is.

That's hardly a way to judge a receiver.  Look at who is throwing the ball to him and the offense they are running.  You pay someone for how much more valuable they are than a "replacement level player."  Overpaying in the NFL is a disaster. 

Look at Emmanuel Sanders.  Decent receiver in Pittsburgh, but then jumped to #5 in the NFL in receptions last year.  Did he suddenly become *that* much better? No...he was playing with Manning.

And his cap hit last year was less than $6M.  That is the type of guy TT needs to look for.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #2368 on: March 06, 2015, 10:23:15 AM »
B Marsh (the Bears version), traded to the JETS.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2369 on: March 06, 2015, 10:23:40 AM »
B Marsh (the Bears version), traded to the JETS.

Wow.  For what?

MU B2002

• All American
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2371 on: March 06, 2015, 10:27:28 AM »
Getting *anything* for him is worth it.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2372 on: March 06, 2015, 11:48:13 AM »
Getting *anything* for him is worth it.

I disagree. I was in the camp that didnt have any problem with Marshall's actions last year. That season was a tire fire and I was happy someone was bringing some emotion and fire into the locker room. I dont know what percentage of Bears fans wanted him gone but if I had to guess it would be under 30.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #2373 on: March 06, 2015, 11:56:58 AM »
I disagree. I was in the camp that didnt have any problem with Marshall's actions last year. That season was a tire fire and I was happy someone was bringing some emotion and fire into the locker room. I dont know what percentage of Bears fans wanted him gone but if I had to guess it would be under 30.

I think the number is lower than that.  And I don't like to see him go either.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2374 on: March 06, 2015, 11:59:05 AM »
Who gives a crap about what the fans think?