collapse

* Recent Posts

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by Herman Cain
[Today at 06:15:50 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 583347 times)

brandx

Re: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #1725 on: December 18, 2014, 11:39:12 AM »

From ESPN:

Any team needing a quarterback is a potential suitor, but two executives said they thought Tennessee would be the most logical landing spot for Cutler if he is released or traded.

The thinking is that the Titans will move on from Jake Locker after this season, and they haven't seen enough from Zach Mettenberger to bank on him as their starter. Cutler played college football in the state at Vanderbilt, which could make him more marketable in Tennessee -- a potential consideration for Titans president and CEO Tommy Smith, who has already pledged to spend aggressively in an effort to upgrade the team's roster. The Titans are 2-12 and in the running for a high draft choice, but one of the executives did not see an ideal quarterback fit for coach Ken Whisenhunt early in the draft.

"The kid from Oregon [Marcus Mariota] could be seen as more of a run-around quarterback, and that isn't the type of guy Whisenhunt has traditionally wanted," one of the executives said, before adding that Florida State QB Jameis Winston's off-field concerns could scare the team away from drafting him. "They could add Cutler and justify it as buying time to develop Mettenberger. That would not be a hard sell."
Trading for Cutler would require taking on his guaranteed salary, a strong deterrent. One executive said he could see the Titans giving up a late-round pick for Cutler and trading down from the top of the draft to add picks for restocking the roster. But it is not known whether Tennessee would have interest.

Teams cannot make trades until the first day of the 2015 league year, which is scheduled to begin March 10. According to information on file with the NFL Players Association, Cutler's contract calls for $10 million in 2016 salary to become fully guaranteed if he remains on the roster for the third day of the 2015 league year.

That means the Bears would have to consummate a trade between March 10 and March 11 to avoid becoming liable for another $10 million in guarantees (on top of the $15.5 million that is already fully guaranteed). Two days seems like not much time to get a deal done, but teams planning moves this significant would put out feelers ahead of time and have something in place with time to spare. They would not wait until the first day of the league year.

The team acquiring Cutler would also acquire his contract, which could mean committing to that $10 million for 2016, barring a quick renegotiation.

Offset language a consideration
There is no way to tell whether Cutler would play along with a trade well enough for the acquiring team to go through with it. One executive noted that Cutler's contract contains offset language. That means if the Bears released Cutler and the quarterback signed with another team in 2015, Chicago would be liable for the $15.5 million guaranteed minus whatever he earned from his new team in the first season.

The Bears would not receive the associated salary-cap relief until a year later.
Cutler could try to force his release, and then sign a bargain contract that compels the Bears to account for a higher percentage of that $15.5 million guarantee. That could spawn a fight over the offset language in the contract, which a person with access to the deal said refers to "any and all compensation received, earned or that reasonably could have been earned" -- seemingly leaving room for interpretation if Cutler spitefully signed a minimum-salary deal with a new team. How much he accepts and how much he could reasonably earn might not be the same.

Benching Cutler for the remainder of the season could be seen as a hedge against liabilities that would come into play if Cutler suffered a serious injury. His $16 million base salary for 2016 was guaranteed for injury at signing, which means the Bears would have to pay that money to him if he suffered a catastrophic injury, but not if they released him. Cutler, who took seven sacks against the Saints, is much less likely to suffer an injury if he's standing on the sideline.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1726 on: December 18, 2014, 11:43:13 AM »
This always seems to be the narrative with Cutler. When the team wins, it's in spite of him. When they lose, it's because of him. Cutler DOES have talent. No one with any football sense would question that. He just hasn't been able to put it all together, for whatever reason. Perhaps he'll find a Bruce Arians to his Carson Palmer (a very similar QB to Cutler) and have a career resurgence somewhere. I just can't imagine him being back on the Bears next season after this.

I'm not sure I would want a post-knee injury Carson Palmer, and I'm not sure I'd compare him very favorably to Jay Cutler.  Carson was a very good quarterback early in his career with the Bengals and then he suffered a pretty dang bad knee injury and hasn't been quite the same player since.  In his 2nd year in the league he threw for 3,800+ yards, 32 TDs, and 12 INTs, and in his 3rd year in the league he threw for 4,000+ yards with 28 TDs and 13 INT.  He then took a little step back in throwing for 4,100+ yards, 26 TD, and 20 INT in the following year and then shredded his knee early the next season and never was the same (although in his last season with Oakland he got to 4,000+ yards with 22 TD and 14 INT, not bad).  Last year with Arians he had 22 INT (to 24 TD).  22 INT simply won't get it done in the NFL.  He did have a solid start to this season before being injured again.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1727 on: December 18, 2014, 01:33:54 PM »
Look at the bear teams pre trestmann. Those were great defensive teams and average to below average offensive teams. How can you dispute that? Now the opposite is true, the defense sucks and the offense is supposed to be good except cutler can't carry the team.

If he has talent its not translating on the field. At some point in time the player has to be accountable to show his talent. Just saying he is talented because he has a strong arm doesn't make it true. There is more to being a QB than having a strong arm. The excuses for this guy are mind boggling. He was shipped out of Denver and is now being benched and ready to be shipped out again. That is very telling and there are other people that know more than me and you saying as much. Jay cutler = Jeff george

Your phrasing was very telling. The pre-Trestman D was "great" and the O was "average to below average," yet the team had some success. Now the D "sucks" (as in, historically bad) but Cutler is to blame because he can't carry the team. If the current D improved to even "average to below average," the Bears would have at least 1-2 more wins and Cutler wouldn't be on the bench, despite his awful season.

Jay Cutler is what he is. He's immensely talented but has middle-of-the-pack results, often because of his TOs. He's the exact player that the previous Bears' FO traded for and the current FO signed to a big-money deal. A great D was often able to overcome his TOs, but he's simply not a QB who's going to carry a bad D. He's basically a surly Matthew Stafford.

Interesting read here from Barnwell
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/chicago-bears-jay-cutler-scapegoat/

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1728 on: December 18, 2014, 01:39:58 PM »
Your phrasing was very telling. The pre-Trestman D was "great" and the O was "average to below average," yet the team had some success. Now the D "sucks" (as in, historically bad) but Cutler is to blame because he can't carry the team. If the current D improved to even "average to below average," the Bears would have at least 1-2 more wins and Cutler wouldn't be on the bench, despite his awful season.

Jay Cutler is what he is. He's immensely talented but has middle-of-the-pack results, often because of his TOs. He's the exact player that the previous Bears' FO traded for and the current FO signed to a big-money deal. A great D was often able to overcome his TOs, but he's simply not a QB who's going to carry a bad D. He's basically a surly Matthew Stafford.

Matthew Stafford is a much better comparison, in my opinion.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #1729 on: December 18, 2014, 01:48:02 PM »
Can we trade Cutler to the Bills and bring back Orton?  Seems like the most Bears thing to do.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #1730 on: December 18, 2014, 01:50:06 PM »

Yep. Cutler's performance is very similar to the years under Lovie. Its the defense and special teams that has fallen apart, to a shocking degree. Here's the DVOA numbers for those units in '12, Lovie's final season.

Defense: 1
Special Teams: 6

DVOA so far for this year:
Defense: 29
Special Teams: 24

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #1731 on: December 18, 2014, 04:58:21 PM »
I didn't say it was a good idea. Just that Holmgren and the McCaskeys have some ties together. And frankly, this is a family that hires guys they like and they feel they have a connection/confortable with.
Sorry for the tone.  The FFW brings it out of me.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1732 on: December 21, 2014, 01:15:43 PM »
First let me preface this by saying I hatell Troy Aikman. However, it pisses me off that Buck and Aikman are ripping the Bears receivers when you know, if Cutler was playing, they would find a way to criticize his throws. That being said, they have dropped a ton of passes but they have been choking on Clausens dick all day.

I wanted the Bears to get killed today and they can't even do that right.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1733 on: December 21, 2014, 01:52:50 PM »
Mike's keeping the Buc's in this one.

Take the freaking points.  You're up 7 points.  Make it a 2 possession game.  That's not even a question.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #1734 on: December 21, 2014, 02:56:26 PM »
First let me preface this by saying I hatell Troy Aikman. However, it pisses me off that Buck and Aikman are ripping the Bears receivers when you know, if Cutler was playing, they would find a way to criticize his throws. That being said, they have dropped a ton of passes but they have been choking on Clausens dick all day.

I wanted the Bears to get killed today and they can't even do that right.

they are talking like clausen is the second coming.   bears have 14 points with 2 minutes to go, 7 of that on a very short field after a turnover.  please.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1735 on: December 21, 2014, 03:33:01 PM »
Mike's keeping the Buc's in this one.

Take the freaking points.  You're up 7 points.  Make it a 2 possession game.  That's not even a question.

McCown might be the worst quarterback I have ever seen.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #1736 on: December 21, 2014, 06:12:07 PM »
Can we trade Cutler to the Bills and bring back Orton?  Seems like the most Bears thing to do.

The Bears thing to do would be to release Cutler and re-sign Cade McNown, mistakenly thinking they were actually re-signing Josh McCown.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1737 on: December 21, 2014, 08:22:08 PM »
Another ugly win for Detroit.   Two red zone picks, 3 special teams gaffes.    Just enough.   I was reminded that in the 13 season, the Lions led in the 4th quarter of 14 out of 16 games and found ways to lose.   This year, 8 of their 11 wins have been come-from-behind wins.   11-4 is astounding.    Ah, well.   Next weeks game is moved to prime time, so it will be even colder.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1738 on: December 21, 2014, 09:05:44 PM »
Another ugly win for Detroit.   Two red zone picks, 3 special teams gaffes.    Just enough.   I was reminded that in the 13 season, the Lions led in the 4th quarter of 14 out of 16 games and found ways to lose.   This year, 8 of their 11 wins have been come-from-behind wins.   11-4 is astounding.    Ah, well.   Next weeks game is moved to prime time, so it will be even colder.   

Looks like next week's game is the late afternoon game.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1739 on: December 22, 2014, 06:30:53 AM »
You are correct.   One of the local websites had it as the prime time game.   That has been changed.   Oops. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1740 on: December 22, 2014, 09:01:47 AM »
Correct.  3:25p start next Sunday.  Most likely outcome for the Lions is now two consecutive losses at GB and Dallas, respectively.  They're better but probably not yet prime time.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1741 on: December 22, 2014, 10:36:40 AM »
Completely agree.   The headline of the Detroit Free Press print edition today was "Are they for real?"   And I don't blame them.   As amazing as it sounds, I don't think an 11-4 team is that great.   

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #1742 on: December 22, 2014, 11:15:37 AM »

McCown might be the worst quarterback I have ever seen.

Have you watched either of Cleveland's last two games?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1743 on: December 22, 2014, 11:28:28 AM »

+1

brandx

« Reply #1744 on: December 22, 2014, 12:36:12 PM »

Funny! You gotta be more specific though. Manziel or Hoyer?

I know. The easy answer is both.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #1745 on: December 22, 2014, 01:48:05 PM »
And the Jimmy Clausen experience has come to an end.  Out with a concussion and Bears are back to Cutty next week.

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1746 on: December 22, 2014, 02:00:09 PM »

Adding to the ugliness was the really dirty play by the Lion's center (Raiola?) stomping on a guy's ankle as he lies face down and defenseless is as cheap as it gets. I assume he'll be suspended. The head hit to a sliding Clausen was pretty bad too. I thought Detroit left that stuff behind when they fired their crazy coach.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1747 on: December 22, 2014, 02:02:43 PM »
And the Jimmy Clausen experience has come to an end.  Out with a concussion and Bears are back to Cutty next week.

They tried to throw Cutler into the dumpster and now that he's been forced back into the starting lineup, the spin will be that they trust him and that they know they can win with him. Only da Bears.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #1748 on: December 22, 2014, 03:28:59 PM »
Adding to the ugliness was the really dirty play by the Lion's center (Raiola?) stomping on a guy's ankle as he lies face down and defenseless is as cheap as it gets. I assume he'll be suspended. The head hit to a sliding Clausen was pretty bad too. I thought Detroit left that stuff behind when they fired their crazy coach.

Screw that guy.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12067760/dominic-raiola-detroit-lions-suspended-one-game-pay
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1749 on: December 23, 2014, 10:27:28 AM »
the Bears might really get screwed if Cutler gets injured

feedback