collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 583316 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #625 on: September 16, 2014, 10:28:40 AM »
I don't disagree with anything you say here Canned.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #626 on: September 16, 2014, 10:34:50 AM »
In theory, I agree, but in practice, I think it's rare.

I know the league can't really do it, but I'd love to see zero tolerance, and just start clearing these guys out. For every Brandon Marshall, I'm afraid there are 5 other guys who aren't really "better", but just quieter about their bad behavior when they are given second chances.

Hell, Favre was taking dong pics late in his career. Dude never changed. Always a creep, but we were all sold this "Brett is like a kid out there playing football" image because it sells viewership.

I know the owners won't do it, because they literally only care about $, but I'd like to see the league take a stand.

Zero tolerance for "creeps" in the ultra violent world of professional football? Good luck with that.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #627 on: September 16, 2014, 10:40:04 AM »
Zero tolerance for "creeps" in the ultra violent world of professional football? Good luck with that.

I agree, it's impossible... I guess I'm just venting a little.

The league is so powerful right now, it can do anything it wants, and it won't make a dent.

Given that, I'd like to see them use that power to clean up their own league.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #628 on: September 16, 2014, 10:47:20 AM »
I agree, it's impossible... I guess I'm just venting a little.

The league is so powerful right now, it can do anything it wants, and it won't make a dent.

Given that, I'd like to see them use that power to clean up their own league.

Maybe with a new Commish...

The thing that separates Marshall is that it was an emotional maturity to acknowledge he had a problem, seek treatment/help, and turn things around.  He was still reasonably young at 27-28 when he turned it around, so there was some growing up he did.  The league didn't do much to dissuade him.  I mean, he was only suspended once that I remember (the 3 gamer with the Broncos) and got a pretty large contract with the Dolphins in the midst of his shenanigans, which clearly shows that it wasn't a MAJOR deterrent.

The only person I can think of who has sort of settled down after league intervention is Pacman Jones, but he's still no angel.  And Goodell used him as a PR spectacle for his "power" to change behavior.  Otherwise the league hasn't shown any interest in correcting bad behavior.  So unfortunately, while I agree with Canned, I see little precedent for it.  Especially when the $$$ continues to fall like manna from the sky.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #629 on: September 16, 2014, 10:52:24 AM »
I would be curious to see a breakdown by sport in terms of arrests, types, convictions...

How does the NFL compare to MLB, the NBA, or the NHL?

Heard some talking heads this AM, opine to see if the violent nature of football, concussions and the like can lead to this type of behavior.  I seriously don't know, but at least something to consider.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #630 on: September 16, 2014, 04:45:43 PM »
Anheuser-Busch with a strongly worded message... Good on them?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #631 on: September 16, 2014, 05:16:57 PM »
Lions update, multiple injuries in the secondary.   A yearly occurrence.     Bringing guys in off the street to play nickel against the Packers.   What could possibly go wrong? ::)
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #632 on: September 16, 2014, 05:17:56 PM »

"Look at us, we're going to talk a big game and pretend to care, but no way in hell we're giving up the $200 million we're getting out of our deal with you." Means absolutely nothing. Pull out of the deal and I'll be impressed. We all know that won't happen.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #633 on: September 16, 2014, 05:19:11 PM »
Lions update, multiple injuries in the secondary.   A yearly occurrence.     Bringing guys in off the street to play nickel against the Packers.   What could possibly go wrong? ::)

Hey, the last 2 times the Pack played at the Lions Rodgers either missed or was knocked out early and they lost. (Or was it 2 of the last 3?) Maybe Fairley and Suh can gang tackle Rodgers with his helmet off during warmups or something.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brandx

« Reply #634 on: September 16, 2014, 06:35:44 PM »
"Look at us, we're going to talk a big game and pretend to care, but no way in hell we're giving up the $200 million we're getting out of our deal with you." Means absolutely nothing. Pull out of the deal and I'll be impressed. We all know that won't happen.

McDonald's, Visa and Campbell Soup Co. say they have also voiced concerns to the league.

We'll see where it goes. Money always has the final say.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #635 on: September 16, 2014, 06:39:31 PM »

Beer company coming out against domestic violence?   I am pretty sure the late night talk show hosts' comedy teams are coming up with some pretty good lines about this. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #636 on: September 16, 2014, 06:53:15 PM »
That, along with the packers defense. I am taking the over.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #637 on: September 16, 2014, 08:14:47 PM »

It won't happen because it won't have to happen.

I think the complete silence we have heard from the NFL since late last week means something big is happening.  (ie, Goodell could be completely out of a job.)

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #638 on: September 16, 2014, 08:38:11 PM »
The NFL's silence since Goodell's interview with CBS has been telling, but not sure in what way. They did some window dressing hiring some women for DV issues, but Goodell not being at Niners stadium opening was interesting.

Levi's Stadium has a complex financing structure. At some point, Goodell has to act like he actually is the commissioner and be at events like that. He's supposed to be the face of the league, and he's gone into hiding. Not to worry though, he'll be at The Masters in April with his green jacket on...even if someone is delivering a videotape he doesn't want to see.

brandx

« Reply #639 on: September 16, 2014, 08:43:05 PM »
Beer company coming out against domestic violence?   I am pretty sure the late night talk show hosts' comedy teams are coming up with some pretty good lines about this. 

Stewart and Colbert could fire their writers - this stuff pretty much writes itself.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #640 on: September 17, 2014, 05:59:36 AM »
Add in sweat-shop Nike coming out against child abuse....yeah, the jokes do kind of write themselves. 

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #641 on: September 17, 2014, 06:23:42 AM »
And now AP must stay away. 
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #642 on: September 17, 2014, 07:05:37 AM »
And now AP must stay away. 

Yep.  Sponsor pressure matters.

brandx

« Reply #643 on: September 17, 2014, 09:26:36 AM »

Yep.  Sponsor pressure matters.

Always about the money.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #644 on: September 17, 2014, 10:23:27 AM »

Yes, because everyone who drinks beats the sh*t out kids and knocks out women. Dumb logic. How out POS assclowns do that crap because as a beer drinker I know I never have.

But I like to throw handfuls...

reinko

• All American
« Reply #645 on: September 17, 2014, 10:31:41 AM »
Yes, because everyone who drinks beats the sh*t out kids and knocks out women. Dumb logic. How out POS assclowns do that crap because as a beer drinker I know I never have.

You work for a brewery, so yes, you take this a bit harder than most.  But if you were to venture a guess, of domestic violence cases, you have to agree that a that a significant % involves people abusing alcohol.  Not blaming alcohol companies, but it is a factor, and one that has some importance.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #646 on: September 17, 2014, 11:59:37 AM »
You work for a brewery, so yes, you take this a bit harder than most.  But if you were to venture a guess, of domestic violence cases, you have to agree that a that a significant % involves people abusing alcohol.  Not blaming alcohol companies, but it is a factor, and one that has some importance.

well it was a factor with the Ray Rice incident, if Janay was sober it might not have ever happened

🏀

• All American
« Reply #647 on: September 17, 2014, 12:06:22 PM »
You work for a brewery, so yes, you take this a bit harder than most.  But if you were to venture a guess, of domestic violence cases, you have to agree that a that a significant % involves people abusing alcohol.  Not blaming alcohol companies, but it is a factor, and one that has some importance.

The beer isn't the factor, it's the person throwing it in their mouth.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #648 on: September 17, 2014, 12:08:42 PM »
The beer isn't the factor, it's the person throwing it in their mouth.

I said I don't blame the companies, said it was a factor in these situations, which it is.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #649 on: September 17, 2014, 12:09:36 PM »
Reggie Bush everyone!

“I definitely will try to — will obviously not leave bruises or anything like that on her. But I definitely will discipline her harshly depending on what the situation is.”  (in reference to his 1 year old daughter.)

I didn't forget a digit there, 1 year old.