collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 585750 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #300 on: August 31, 2014, 11:01:25 AM »
If Michael Sam can play, he'll get drafted and be on an NFL team. 90-95% of his teammates won't care that he's gay. The only time an issue would arise would be if the media can get one of the other 5-10% of his teammates to say something derogatory. The media is definitely going to try. If he's a fringe player, teams won't want to draft/sign him for fear of the backlash they'd face if they cut him. Sam could end up like Tim Tebow where he's talented enough to be on an NFL roster, but the media circus that surrounds him makes him nearly impossible to employ.

I wish him the best.

I will point out that Michael Sam was drafted as a fringe player.  No one is really criticizing the Rams for waiving him because he clearly was given a fair shot and showed that he had work to do.  Furthermore he was never the distraction that the likes of Tony Dungy thought he would be.

In other words, everything worked out just fine.  An openly gay player was in the NFL and the world didn't end.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #301 on: August 31, 2014, 11:53:52 AM »
It turned out to be a perfectly normal experience from a football standpoint.   The only issues were with media looking for something else to hype and other small minded people.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #302 on: August 31, 2014, 12:29:47 PM »

I will point out that Michael Sam was drafted as a fringe player.  No one is really criticizing the Rams for waiving him because he clearly was given a fair shot and showed that he had work to do.  Furthermore he was never the distraction that the likes of Tony Dungy thought he would be.

In other words, everything worked out just fine.  An openly gay player was in the NFL and the world didn't end.

All of this. To be honest im tired of the media attention to it. Its like ESPN is overcompensating to be this "ra-ra" Michael Sam cheerleader. I can assure you that Michael and most liberals like myself would rather it be a non-issue and not get all of the hype that it has. Hopefully one day it will come to that.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 12:32:52 PM by chitownwarrior2011 »

brandx

« Reply #303 on: August 31, 2014, 01:12:33 PM »
All of this. To be honest im tired of the media attention to it. Its like ESPN is overcompensating to be this "ra-ra" Michael Sam cheerleader. I can assure you that Michael and most liberals like myself would rather it be a non-issue and not get all of the hype that it has. Hopefully one day it will come to that.

Unfortunately, we are the minority.

ESPN does it only because it drives ratings. Same reason that you see the rags at the grocery store. Do know who they are, but there are millions of people that actually buy that stuff.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #304 on: September 02, 2014, 06:06:49 PM »
Wesley Freaking Welker juices?!  HAHA!  That is absolutely hilarious.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #305 on: September 02, 2014, 06:09:07 PM »

I still don't understand the NFL's policy of not informing what the substance is that each player is found guilty of.

Also, Welker could have been doing "molly" and gotten that suspension. Doesn't necessarily mean steroids.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #306 on: September 02, 2014, 06:12:01 PM »
I still don't understand the NFL's policy of not informing what the substance is that each player is found guilty of.

Also, Welker could have been doing "molly" and gotten that suspension. Doesn't necessarily mean steroids.

What are the odds??
https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/506942152643854337

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #307 on: September 02, 2014, 06:24:10 PM »

He wasn't juicing, he used amphetamine's, big difference.

Still got caught though, given his concussion history, not surprised at all he was on them.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #308 on: September 02, 2014, 07:47:14 PM »

Still got caught though, given his concussion history, not surprised at all he was on them.

He really should consider retiring.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #309 on: September 02, 2014, 08:52:55 PM »

He really should consider retiring.

No question about it.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #310 on: September 02, 2014, 09:15:14 PM »

According to the report, this was based on taking "molly" once at the Kentucky Derby. and it was laced with amphetamines. Is there any evidence he was a chronic user?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #311 on: September 02, 2014, 11:00:32 PM »
According to the report, this was based on taking "molly" once at the Kentucky Derby. and it was laced with amphetamines. Is there any evidence he was a chronic user?

Not that I know of, but given his age, physical/mental condition his body was in, his behavior at the Derby (reported), this might be surprising, but not shocking.

Irony is this is probably best thing that could have happened to him.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #312 on: September 03, 2014, 12:04:43 AM »
The 2011 NFL draft...holy crap. I knew it was good, but possibly could be GOAT.

We talked about it on this board at the time, and have since, but the overreaction to reach for a mediocre college QB because your team has a need there is such a huge mistake.

Check out these '11 1st rounders...

Cam, Von Miller, Marcell Dareus, AJ Green, Patrick Petereson, Julio Jones, Aldon Smith, Tyron Smith (Titans took Locker one pick before T. Smith), JJ Watt (Jags took Gabbert one pick before Watt), Robert Quinn (Vikings took Ponder two picks before Quinn), Mike Pouncey, Kerrigan, Solder, Cameron Jordan, Jimmy Smith.

Bears picked a bad year to be good...they took Carimi at 29. Pack took Sherrod at 32.

You can make a #1 seed playoff team out of guys picked after the first round. To name a few...Dalton, Kaepernick, Kyle Rudolph, Torrey Smith, Cobb, Justin Houston, DeMarco Murray, Jordan Cameron, Julius Thomas, Richard Sherman.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #313 on: September 04, 2014, 03:28:05 PM »
Viking fans...The more I look at it, the more I really like the Vikes this year. I legit believe they will finish second in the North. I think the Lions/Bears are probably 7-9/8-8 teams, I think Vikes are an 8 win team.

I love Zimmer. I think with Norv running the offense, with AD, Patterson, Ruldolph, good line, they're going to be a pain to play each week. They are a great longshot to win the North if you like gambling.

Are my expectations too high?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #314 on: September 04, 2014, 03:39:39 PM »
Viking fans...The more I look at it, the more I really like the Vikes this year. I legit believe they will finish second in the North. I think the Lions/Bears are probably 7-9/8-8 teams, I think Vikes are an 8 win team.

I love Zimmer. I think with Norv running the offense, with AD, Patterson, Ruldolph, good line, they're going to be a pain to play each week. They are a great longshot to win the North if you like gambling.

Are my expectations too high?

Yup. Worst starting QB and receivers in the NFC North and it's not like AP is miles ahead of Forte and Lacy.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #315 on: September 04, 2014, 03:47:20 PM »
Yup. Worst starting QB and receivers in the NFC North and it's not like AP is miles ahead of Forte and Lacy.

I want to argue with you, but technically, I can't.

I don't think the vikes were as bad as their record last season. They lost a lot of close games. A reasonable bump in offensive and defensive performance (better QB play, healthier & younger defense) and they could with 7+ games.

The stadium situation is a little unknown. I assume it will hurt them, but I guess I'm not sure how much. This isn't Dennis Green's turf-Vikes of the mid 90's.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #316 on: September 04, 2014, 05:11:25 PM »

Depends if AP is still on whatever he took to come back from a shredded knee in 8 months and have arguably the best season a running back has ever had or not.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #317 on: September 04, 2014, 08:46:57 PM »
I like him as a prospect, and know first NFL game in Seattle is a real tough debut, but Clinton Dix having a real rough night.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #318 on: September 04, 2014, 08:47:42 PM »
Same beautiful defense from the Pack.

spinning tires.  

🏀

• All American
« Reply #319 on: September 04, 2014, 08:56:11 PM »
Dom, your defense tonight, woof.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #320 on: September 04, 2014, 09:15:36 PM »
I like him as a prospect, and know first NFL game in Seattle is a real tough debut, but Clinton Dix having a real rough night.
He has played ok. I wouldn't call it a rough debut. He missed a couple of tackles but also recovered a fumble, had a couple of stops for no gain in run support and broke up a pass, granted he should have had a pick but he was in good position.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #321 on: September 04, 2014, 09:20:34 PM »
Remember when Chris Collinsworth was a good announcer? Yea, me neither.

Forgot how much I hate most football announcers in the offseason

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #322 on: September 04, 2014, 09:27:35 PM »
Matthews has been really good tonight, I like what I've seen from Peppers too. Peppers goes invisible for stretches (which he did last year too), but I like how Matthews and Peppers compliment one another. You can tell Matthews really enjoys playing with Peppers, he's arguably (even at his age now) the best standup LB Matthews has played with.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #323 on: September 04, 2014, 09:57:48 PM »
The only thing the Packers do consistently well is rack up injuries.

Must have the worst middle linebackers in all of football.   

Key injuries where they have no depth - OL (Bulaga, Tretter, Barclay) and DL (Raji).

Not sure McCarthy ever realized that they gained zero yards on any plays run to the outside.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #324 on: September 04, 2014, 10:03:42 PM »
Hate to be negative this early but GB probably has the worst strength and conditioning program in the NFL.   Judging by getting pushed around on D for the last 5 years and racking up injuries at an alarming rate.

Looks like the same old defense.   Doesn't appear like Thompson can fix the problem.

feedback