[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Vander vs Cubillan  (Read 37998 times)

WarriorFan

• All American
Vander vs Cubillan
« on: November 13, 2013, 07:36:50 AM »
http://basketball.realgm.com/international/boxscore/2013-11-10/Maccabi-Bazan-Haifa-at-Maccabi-Rishon-Lezion/141620

I know I'm going to get a lot of flak for this, but Cooby outplayed Vander.  Note Vander's shooting percentage.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Vander vs Cubillan
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 07:40:16 AM »
Why would you get flack? David has been playing international basketball for just over 3 years, Vander has been playing for just over 3 weeks. David was a good player who might have gotten more of a look in the States if he were about 6 inches taller.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 08:42:36 AM »
Spent a week working in Tel Aviv. Hope David & Vander got to sit down for nice meal at Meat Place:

http://www.neve-tzedek.com/business_en.asp?cat=002_&id=8

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 09:12:01 AM »
http://basketball.realgm.com/international/boxscore/2013-11-10/Maccabi-Bazan-Haifa-at-Maccabi-Rishon-Lezion/141620

I know I'm going to get a lot of flak for this, but Cooby outplayed Vander.  Note Vander's shooting percentage.

Why didn't you note that Cubillan played more minutes and Vander was in foul trouble? Pretty easy to "outplay" someone when those two minor details are in your favor.

icheights

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 09:30:27 AM »
Why didn't you note that Cubillan played more minutes and Vander was in foul trouble? Pretty easy to "outplay" someone when those two minor details are in your favor.

Well David's ability to stay out of foul trouble and in the game would indicate that he outplayed Vander.  Usually when players get in foul trouble that is because of poor play.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 10:17:44 AM »
Well David's ability to stay out of foul trouble and in the game would indicate that he outplayed Vander.  Usually when players get in foul trouble that is because of poor play.

Considering they're two vastly different players, I doubt they're experiencing similar situations on the court to determine poor play and fouling. It's just a pointless shot at a former player to fit a silly narrative on an increasingly out-of-touch internet message board. Pathetic some need to drop to this level to boost esteem. Then again, this fanbase has been declining in class since 2004.

brandx

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 10:33:24 AM »
Considering they're two vastly different players, I doubt they're experiencing similar situations on the court to determine poor play and fouling. It's just a pointless shot at a former player to fit a silly narrative on an increasingly out-of-touch internet message board. Pathetic some need to drop to this level to boost esteem. Then again, this fanbase has been declining in class since 2004.

+1000 - but it's not just the fan base. It's people in general.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 11:31:45 AM »
+1000 - but it's not just the fan base. It's people in general.
Yep. People really started going downhill in 2004.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 11:35:52 AM »
I'd say at the conclusion of the 2003 National Semifinal game.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

icheights

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 11:57:47 AM »

I think you may be the one a little out of touch with reality.  The OP simply stated that one of our two former players played better than the other one.  Both are guards.  One clearly played better than the other.  LOL @ the ridiculous comment that this fanbase has been declining since 2004...dumb.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 02:55:10 PM »
I think you may be the one a little out of touch with reality.  The OP simply stated that one of our two former players played better than the other one.  Both are guards.  One clearly played better than the other.  LOL @ the ridiculous comment that this fanbase has been declining since 2004...dumb.

+1000

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 02:58:43 PM »
Cubillan had to have shoulder surgery while he was at MU, which had a negative effect on his shooting while at MU. I think he had it before the start of his junior year.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 03:02:43 PM »
I would take Vander over Cubillan as a player everyday.  Like David and his game, but Vander is a much better player with NBA potential in the future, David no chance, small
2 guard.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 03:04:34 PM »
I would take Vander over Cubillan as a player everyday.  Like David and his game, but Vander is a much better player with NBA potential in the future, David no chance, small
2 guard.

I don't think there's any argument there.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 03:04:47 PM »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2013, 03:19:54 PM »
It's good to see Cubillan playing well and good to see Van get some decent minutes.

Yes, Cooby put up better numbers than Vander in this game. However, Vander is playing in the second professional basketball game of his life and Cooby is in his fourth pro season, plus he's played in various international competitions. That stuff makes a difference. In Wade's second pro game, he was outplayed by Mike James. Fortunately, the Heat decided to stick with him.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2013, 07:59:13 PM »

I am absolutely out of touch with reality.

And, to clarify, I didn't write the fanbase has been declining since 2004. You left out one very important word in your "LOL".

icheights

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2013, 11:21:29 AM »
I am absolutely out of touch with reality.

And, to clarify, I didn't write the fanbase has been declining since 2004. You left out one very important word in your "LOL".

It doesn't matter how you want to phrase your derogatory comment aimed at new MU fans...it was still a dumb comment IMO.

Unless you care to substantiate your comment?  I am guessing it was just sour grapes because you have undying affection for Vander Blue...

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 11:53:38 AM »
It doesn't matter how you want to phrase your derogatory comment aimed at new MU fans...it was still a dumb comment IMO.

Unless you care to substantiate your comment?  I am guessing it was just sour grapes because you have undying affection for Vander Blue...

Nice use of the 25 cent word. And you're misguided to think it was aimed at new Marquette fans. But it does matter for you to phrase it correctly if you're going to take umbrage with it. Leaving out the most important word of my opinion, as you're teaching me a lesson, is careless at best. Run along now, the Schoolhouse is looking for you.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2013, 11:59:36 AM »
Cubillan had to have shoulder surgery while he was at MU, which had a negative effect on his shooting while at MU. I think he had it before the start of his junior year.

Both shoulders.  He was awful his Jr. year as a result.
http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/marquette/david-cubillan
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

icheights

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2013, 04:40:05 PM »
Nice use of the 25 cent word. And you're misguided to think it was aimed at new Marquette fans. But it does matter for you to phrase it correctly if you're going to take umbrage with it. Leaving out the most important word of my opinion, as you're teaching me a lesson, is careless at best. Run along now, the Schoolhouse is looking for you.

More upset that I misquoted you or that I exposed the fact that you have nothing to substantiate your dumb comment?

Consider me schooled.  Keep trucking with your subjective derogatory comments making you seem like a "classy" fan.

feedback