'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 07:39:53 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:20:49 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 07:13:08 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 07:13:05 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Vander Released  (Read 34882 times)

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
Re: Vander Released
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2013, 02:25:07 PM »
Show us where he said that. Also, that's only one guy. You said "experts" projected him as a 1st Rounder in 2014. That would mean multiple experts   ;D

That's the same guy who was interviewed by Cracked Sidewalks.  When he was asked, "So, you see him going in the second round?" he answered:

"Tough to say what every NBA team thinks. It's very possible 25 or 26 teams feel one way, but if one or two teams like him in the first round, they might take him.  Or maybe some say they will take him early in the second round.  He was very active early on getting information about the NBA so its possible that some discussions have been had that lead to an earlier pick based on those discussions.  But my general projection is that he is a second round pick right now that could work his way up.  Depends how he does in workouts, interviews."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2013, 02:37:01 PM »
That's the same guy who was interviewed by Cracked Sidewalks.  When he was asked, "So, you see him going in the second round?" he answered:

"Tough to say what every NBA team thinks. It's very possible 25 or 26 teams feel one way, but if one or two teams like him in the first round, they might take him.  Or maybe some say they will take him early in the second round.  He was very active early on getting information about the NBA so its possible that some discussions have been had that lead to an earlier pick based on those discussions.  But my general projection is that he is a second round pick right now that could work his way up.  Depends how he does in workouts, interviews."

I interviewed him....of course as more data came in, etc, he dropped Vander out entirely from his draft board and as we know he didn't get drafted.  He was probably right on Vander, should have stayed in and come back due to his age, etc, but to each their own. 

Draft Express had him #21 in the 2014 draft.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/16/marquettes-vander-blue-to-enter-the-nba-draft/

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2013, 02:37:59 PM »
"DraftExpress.com currently has Blue as the No. 21 selection in the 2014 NBA draft, while NBADraft.net lists him at No. 38 in the 2014 draft."  (One drafting service says first rounder, one says early second rounder". 

http://painttouches.com/2013/04/16/blue-forgoes-senior-year-enters-nba-draft/
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 02:39:50 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

source?

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2013, 02:39:59 PM »
I wasn't being over dramatic.  I felt I was stating the facts as I saw them.  And you are right, Vander likely made a nice chunk of change but I doubt it's "set for life" money.  Playing somewhere other than the NBA - does that get you "set for life money"?  I don't know but I doubt it.

My statement was true.  His shot at that one-time mega check for getting drafted in the first round is gone.  And, again, in my opinion, the risk/reward trade-off for him was not a good one.  Other kids should heed that lesson.  That's all I'm saying.

Not sure about the money he made this summer, but the NBDL generally pays around $35,000 and Europe is around $100,000. Europe can set you for life if you are smart with investments and have a fairly long career (probably have to be over 10 years). NBDL, on the other hand, will not even come close no matter how long you play there. I hope Blue catches on somewhere in the NBA eventually. I'll be pulling for him.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2013, 02:42:54 PM »
Show us where he said that. Also, that's only one guy. You said "experts" projected him as a 1st Rounder in 2014. That would mean multiple experts   ;D

Touche....I just posted, one said first rounder, the other early second rounder....my bad.  I can admit when I'm wrong, it would be cool if others tried it sometime.   ;)  Nevertheless, the top two services saying he was going to be drafted next year. 

I don't buy the hate school nonsense either.  Everyone knows with college basketball your last year you just have to go to class your first semester.  All he had to do was go to school for one more semester after already going for 3 years.  That seems a complete cop out to me.  I hope it works out for him.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2013, 02:55:19 PM »
Googling .. This was written about a year ago .. "playing in the D-league is the fact that most D-league salaries range from only $12,000 to $24,000. Average overseas players can get a $65,000 contract with ease.  Depending on the league that players get into in Europe, salaries can start as high as $100,000."

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2013, 02:58:39 PM »
And in Europe, a lot of times, the team will pay for your apartment, car, and most expenses.  Not a bad gig but it ain't no national championship
Bring back FFP!!!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2013, 03:15:50 PM »
Man, if you hate college then you're doing it wrong. I loved my 4 years.

note: I'm not saying you Chicos, but rather the general you

Loved college ... hated school.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2013, 03:29:55 PM »
Loved college ... hated school.

Millions of peoples' experience perfectly captured in four little words - that's genius, 82.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2013, 03:39:12 PM »
Touche....I just posted, one said first rounder, the other early second rounder....my bad.  I can admit when I'm wrong, it would be cool if others tried it sometime.   ;)  Nevertheless, the top two services saying he was going to be drafted next year. 

I don't buy the hate school nonsense either.  Everyone knows with college basketball your last year you just have to go to class your first semester.  All he had to do was go to school for one more semester after already going for 3 years.  That seems a complete cop out to me.  I hope it works out for him.

I don't understand how you can latch on to one man's opinion from the end of last season and lay it at our feet and act like it is gospel.  Its astounding.  There was an entire season of basketball to be played.  Why even play at all!

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2013, 03:50:41 PM »
And in Europe, a lot of times, the team will pay for your apartment, car, and most expenses.  Not a bad gig but it ain't no national championship

And in Russia, car and apartment pay you. 

ceh

• Starter
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2013, 04:13:00 PM »
I guess that I completely disagree with your statements below.  The draft is a mix of talent and hype.  If VB had a standout senior year and another stellar post season (which was projected by most), I believe that he would have been drafted.  If he's drafted in the first round, he gets a contract and is a NBA player.  If he is drafted in the 2nd round, he's still in the mix for a roster spot and does not make GM's look stupid for cutting players they drafted over UDFA's.  Instead, he took poor advice, took a chance he could make a roster and got burned in the process.  Now VB does not have a degree and has no job.  Good decision?  I don't think so.

We of course do not know, but being a year older in a stronger draft does not make it likely he would be drafted. Given he could not make a team that wanted to lose may indicate he was not close to making a real NBA team this year. Especially, since winning was not important to the 76'ers the team probably would of tried to project how much this year's young players would have improved for next year. I would argue that Blue being cut in this situation indicates that the 76'ers did not see him having much upside. Following this arguement would indicate another year in college would not of helped Blue make the NBA. Assuming Blue did not like college, it was still a good decision for him.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2013, 04:24:19 PM »
I guess that I completely disagree with your statements below.  The draft is a mix of talent and hype.  If VB had a standout senior year and another stellar post season (which was projected by most), I believe that he would have been drafted.  If he's drafted in the first round, he gets a contract and is a NBA player.  If he is drafted in the 2nd round, he's still in the mix for a roster spot and does not make GM's look stupid for cutting players they drafted over UDFA's.  Instead, he took poor advice, took a chance he could make a roster and got burned in the process.  Now VB does not have a degree and has no job.  Good decision?  I don't think so.

Exactly how long do you think he'll be unemployed for?

ceh

• Starter
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2013, 04:28:45 PM »
Exactly how long do you think he'll be unemployed for?

As long as it takes FedEx to deliver his new contract from the Georgian Superliga.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2013, 04:31:20 PM »
Man, if you hate college then you're doing it wrong. I loved my 4 years.

note: I'm not saying you Chicos, but rather the general you

I loved it so much I stayed 5 years and kept adding majors and minors...then two different grad schools on top of that.  College was great....wish I was still in school, sure beats the real world.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2013, 05:34:45 PM »
I don't understand how you can latch on to one man's opinion from the end of last season and lay it at our feet and act like it is gospel.  Its astounding.  There was an entire season of basketball to be played.  Why even play at all!

It wasn't one man's opinion, it was his and the people that work for him....basically it is a consensus of their organization.   Couldn't you flip your statement on its head and say Vander listened to "one man's opinion" or maybe a few folks and laid it at his feet, acted like it was gospel and made his decision that he thought he was going to get drafted despite several articles stating that finding a GM that was interested in him was like finding water in the Sahara?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2013, 09:48:06 PM »
Millions of peoples' experience perfectly captured in four little words - that's genius, 82.

Thanks, Lenny. See what a Marquette education can do for a guy (even one who might have missed a class or two or 100)?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2013, 08:55:07 AM »
That's just a punk thing to write from a human with a pointless existence.

Van made the right choice in April. And Marquette will not be a better team for it.

You are entitled to your opinion and so am I.  I appreciate that.

Here's how I see it:
4 April - Jake announces his departure
15 April - Juan announces his departure
16 April - Vander declares for draft
18 April - Jake comes back
20 May - Juan returns

POSSIBLY, Vander isn't much of a team player.  Possibly he's a selfish, me-first individual.  Possibly, he needs to sort that out before he's welcome on a team.  I still wish Vander well and hope he ends up making $$$, but I said in April last year that he'll end up somewhere like Philippines or China where basketball mercenaries play pickup ball for dollars.  If I'm wrong, good for Vander.  If I'm right, he should have stayed in school, because he'd learn more from Buzz than anyone else.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2013, 09:38:18 AM »
Except as has been detailed elsewhere, Juan's departure wasn't related to PT. Maybe Van leaving let him see there was more time here, or got him thinking the team would need him that much more, but it really seems to primarily have been a family matter that cleared itself up. So your real contention is that Jake Thomas makes MU a better team than Vander Blue does.

Your comment was still at least 96.77% wrong.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2013, 03:13:33 PM »
You are entitled to your opinion and so am I.  I appreciate that.

Here's how I see it:
4 April - Jake announces his departure
15 April - Juan announces his departure
16 April - Vander declares for draft
18 April - Jake comes back
20 May - Juan returns

POSSIBLY, Vander isn't much of a team player.  Possibly he's a selfish, me-first individual.  Possibly, he needs to sort that out before he's welcome on a team.  I still wish Vander well and hope he ends up making $$$, but I said in April last year that he'll end up somewhere like Philippines or China where basketball mercenaries play pickup ball for dollars.  If I'm wrong, good for Vander.  If I'm right, he should have stayed in school, because he'd learn more from Buzz than anyone else.

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2013, 04:03:49 PM »
I said in April last year that he'll end up somewhere like Philippines where basketball mercenaries play pickup ball for dollars.

Man, have you never been to the Philippines?? What a great place for a young man learn to spread his wings. Nothing wrong with balling in the P.I....

Death on call

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2013, 02:22:19 AM »
Except as has been detailed elsewhere, Juan's departure wasn't related to PT. Maybe Van leaving let him see there was more time here, or got him thinking the team would need him that much more, but it really seems to primarily have been a family matter that cleared itself up. So your real contention is that Jake Thomas makes MU a better team than Vander Blue does.

Your comment was still at least 96.77% wrong.
It cleared itself up in 3 days....? LOL...I doubt it.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2013, 07:54:44 AM »
It cleared itself up in 3 days....? LOL...I doubt it.

Reading is your friend. As someone posted recently, Juan announced he was leaving to be closer to his sick grandfather. After talking to his family and the coaching staff, he reconsidered and decided to stay.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2013, 11:54:04 AM »
Reading is your friend. As someone posted recently, Juan announced he was leaving to be closer to his sick grandfather. After talking to his family and the coaching staff, he reconsidered and decided to stay.

Yes, but do we know if Vander was the one who made Juan's Grandfather ill?

Until we know that, we don't know anything.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2013, 01:04:55 PM »

Yeah, he's mixing up Jake and Juan.  Jake came back because he was given a scholarship due to Vander's departure.

Every post of his makes me snicker.