[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Washington Redskins change their name  (Read 135648 times)

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
Re: Washington Redskins change their name
« Reply #425 on: September 30, 2014, 03:47:08 PM »

Because there is always someone outraged about something.  Why would PETA ask us to stop eating meat?  Why would NOW be outraged the last few weeks but asleep at the wheel in the 1990's?  Why would the AMA support a certain person's healthcare plan, but majority of doctors don't (despite the AMA being the organization that represents doctors). 

All kinds of reasons.

Those that are upset, I suggest they use UPS only.

great, now a jab at unions

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #426 on: September 30, 2014, 03:52:28 PM »

Because there is always someone outraged about something.  Why would PETA ask us to stop eating meat?  Why would NOW be outraged the last few weeks but asleep at the wheel in the 1990's?  Why would the AMA support a certain person's healthcare plan, but majority of doctors don't (despite the AMA being the organization that represents doctors). 

All kinds of reasons.

Those that are upset, I suggest they use UPS only.

But you said Natives view it as a sign of respect. I am confused.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #427 on: September 30, 2014, 04:25:12 PM »
Glad my shareholder vote counted....along with the other 99.9% of us

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2014/09/30/99-9-of-fedex-shareholders-ok-with-redskins.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+industry_11+%28Industry+Sports%29

Surveys mean nothing.

I won't pay attention to them until they agree with what I want, and then I will constantly research them and post them on the internet to support my argument.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #428 on: September 30, 2014, 05:38:41 PM »
Glad my shareholder vote counted....along with the other 99.9% of us

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2014/09/30/99-9-of-fedex-shareholders-ok-with-redskins.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+industry_11+%28Industry+Sports%29

Yes, and in the 1700s, the founding fathers decided that African Americans only counted as 3/5s of a person.

Because a bunch of mostly white shareholders think something is right doesn't mean that it is. Just like we look at the 3/5 compromise as an example of conventionalized racism from the 1700s, future generations will look at the Redskins as an example of conventionalized racism from the early 21st century.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 05:57:21 PM by TAMU Ellenson »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brandx

« Reply #429 on: September 30, 2014, 05:49:24 PM »
I wonder what the over/under is on the number of Chicos posts - just in this one thread. My guess would be 120.

Why is he allowed to hijack thread after thread just to satisfy his god complex. Am I the only one who is tired of this?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #430 on: September 30, 2014, 05:57:47 PM »
I wonder what the over/under is on the number of Chicos posts - just in this one thread. My guess would be 120.

Why is he allowed to hijack thread after thread just to satisfy his god complex. Am I the only one who is tired of this?

I'm ok with this one, he at least stays on topic here.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #431 on: September 30, 2014, 05:59:28 PM »

Why are you outraged by people being outraged? People have the right to feel and express their outrage, just like you are doing now.
TAMU

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #432 on: October 01, 2014, 12:09:32 AM »
But you said Natives view it as a sign of respect. I am confused.

Seems a symptom you come down with often.   ;D

I said some Native Americans.  I provided polls, provided letters, provided statements, provided  videos.  Some Native Americans.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #433 on: October 01, 2014, 12:10:58 AM »
Yes, and in the 1700s, the founding fathers decided that African Americans only counted as 3/5s of a person.

Because a bunch of mostly white shareholders think something is right doesn't mean that it is. Just like we look at the 3/5 compromise as an example of conventionalized racism from the 1700s, future generations will look at the Redskins as an example of conventionalized racism from the early 21st century.

Godwin's Law 2.0....congratulations

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #434 on: October 01, 2014, 12:19:10 AM »
I'm ok with this one, he at least stays on topic here.

Consider it a source of information that doesn't feed into your confirmation bias that you guys normally get.  Refreshing to break out of your bubble every once in a while.  Jon Stewart, Chris Matthews, Ed Schultz and  Rachel can't do all your thinking for you.   ;)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #435 on: October 01, 2014, 12:20:29 AM »
Surveys mean nothing.

I won't pay attention to them until they agree with what I want, and then I will constantly research them and post them on the internet to support my argument.

On this subject, just about every survey supports my position.....much like the surveys about a lot of others things currently going on or reflective of the dolts running the show.  I'm feeling pretty mainstream right now.   ;)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #436 on: October 01, 2014, 01:24:25 AM »
Consider it a source of information that doesn't feed into your confirmation bias that you guys normally get.  Refreshing to break out of your bubble every once in a while.  Jon Stewart, Chris Matthews, Ed Schultz and  Rachel can't do all your thinking for you.   ;)

And here is where you go from having a dialogue to making petty attacks. Please don't play into your own stereotype. Yes, the phrasing was intentional
TAMU

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #437 on: October 01, 2014, 05:18:51 AM »
And here is where you go from having a dialogue to making petty attacks. Please don't play into your own stereotype. Yes, the phrasing was intentional
Hypocrite, you make a statement about him dripping with sarcasm and are then offended when Chico's responds in kind. You guys are comical, having your little cat fights while everyone else in the room is rolling their eyes.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #438 on: October 01, 2014, 08:47:11 AM »
Consider it a source of information that doesn't feed into your confirmation bias that you guys normally get.  Refreshing to break out of your bubble every once in a while.  Jon Stewart, Chris Matthews, Ed Schultz and  Rachel can't do all your thinking for you.   ;)

I actually listen to conservative talk radio almost every day (I spend 2-3 hours in my car commuting everyday)....Jay Weber in the morning, Belling and Hannity at night. Usually its for laughs, but once in a while I get a legitimate perspective I hadn't imagined before.

That said, history will judge you as dead wrong on this issue.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 08:51:36 AM by Bleutellenson »

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #439 on: October 01, 2014, 09:41:55 AM »

Let's be honest here.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #440 on: October 01, 2014, 09:43:36 AM »

That said, history will judge you as dead wrong on this issue.

+10,000. As much as Chico likes to mock "outrage" it was at the core of this country's founding and the basis for all the progress made here on every human rights issue. The messes we have to clean up to make a more perfect union are smaller and sometimes more nuanced than slavery, voting rights for women, anti sodomy laws, etc., but that doesn't mean they're not messes.

History will definitely conclude (and sooner than most think) that using a racial slur for a team nickname is wrong. As hard as it is for most people today to imagine that majorities in this country once endorsed slavery, non citizenship for women and homosexuality as a mental disease, so will it be hard for generations to come to imagine anything short of a small, bigoted group backing the use of "redskins".

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #441 on: October 01, 2014, 09:45:06 AM »
Godwin's Law 2.0....congratulations

You do not know what Godwin's Law is, but go have fun supporting the use of a racial epithet.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #442 on: October 01, 2014, 09:46:10 AM »
+10,000. As much as Chico likes to mock "outrage" it was at the core of this country's founding and the basis for all the progress made here on every human rights issue. The messes we have to clean up to make a more perfect union are smaller and sometimes more nuanced than slavery, voting rights for women, anti sodomy laws, etc., but that doesn't mean they're not messes.

History will definitely conclude (and sooner than most think) that using a racial slur for a team nickname is wrong. As hard as it is for most people today to imagine that majorities in this country once endorsed slavery, non citizenship for women and homosexuality as a mental disease, so will it be hard for generations to come to imagine anything short of a small, bigoted group backing the use of "redskins".

Colorado's AP History class would like a word with you.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #443 on: October 01, 2014, 10:12:40 AM »

That's because most history taught today begins with the Civil Rights movement and not the story of this countries founding and principles. It mostly is a tirade against Europeans ignoring the fact that this is the most welcoming country in the universe. I have read the books our kids get these days and attended lectures by the "teachers" who spew this propaganda.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #444 on: October 01, 2014, 10:36:29 AM »
   That's because most history taught today begins with the Civil Rights movement and not the story of this countries founding and principles. It mostly is a tirade against Europeans ignoring the fact that this is the most welcoming country in the universe. I have read the books our kids get these days and attended lectures by the "teachers" who spew this propaganda.

I don't understand why people view this as an either/or proposition. The country's founding and its principles should absolutely be celebrated, and our missteps should be looked at in the context of the times - but there were missteps. They belong in the history books too.

I'm generally very bullish on the USA both past and present - think we've been mostly both lucky and good. But I think part of that goodness is a striving to always be better.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #445 on: October 01, 2014, 10:59:12 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/e/4XEq6XYtMVU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/e/4XEq6XYtMVU</a>
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #446 on: October 01, 2014, 11:11:40 AM »
I don't understand why people view this as an either/or proposition. The country's founding and its principles should absolutely be celebrated, and our missteps should be looked at in the context of the times - but there were missteps. They belong in the history books too.

I'm generally very bullish on the USA both past and present - think we've been mostly both lucky and good. But I think part of that goodness is a striving to always be better.

Couldn't agree more. It just seems that the emphasis is on how bad we are.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #447 on: October 01, 2014, 11:17:29 AM »

I don't know where your kids went to school, but my kids learned American history starting far earlier than that.  They learned about the Trail of Tears, Revolution, Civil War, etc. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #448 on: October 01, 2014, 11:32:01 AM »
Hypocrite, you make a statement about him dripping with sarcasm and are then offended when Chico's responds in kind. You guys are comical, having your little cat fights while everyone else in the room is rolling their eyes.

Can you please point this post out to me? Cause I feel that I have been nothing but cordial in this discussion.

This isn't a cat fight. Or at least it doesn't have to be. I continue to engage in this dialogue because I think it is an important topic in modern day society. I'm glad to have people like Chicos who care enough to be willing to discuss it. These things need to be discussed out in the open, that's how we can make progress. Sweeping it under the rug (e.g. the Warriors switch), just leads to resentment and allows old wounds to fester.
TAMU

Let's Go Warriors

• Team Captain
  • Lets Go Warriors(clap clap clap clap clap)...
« Reply #449 on: October 01, 2014, 11:37:03 AM »
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24732614/fcc-will-consider-petition-to-ban-redskins-nickname-from-airwaves

How are they going to accomplish this?  Announcers still today call Marquette the Warriors from time to time.  I doubt it will ever stop. Are they going to beep out on a delay every time an announcer says "Redskins"?

Redskins
Redskins
Redskins
Redskins
Redskins
Redskins
Redskins
Redskins
Redskins
Redskins
Warrior As defined by Webster's:
A person who fights in battles and is known for having courage and skill