[Today at 04:39:02 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Washington Redskins change their name  (Read 135920 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Washington Redskins change their name
« Reply #250 on: August 23, 2014, 02:27:09 PM »
Gary Clark, you are apparently dumb and incapable of comprehension.  You're also a racist apparently, because of your views below

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/08/14/gary-clark-says-if-native-americans-cared-about-the-redskins-name-they-would-march-on-washington/

“I know about equal rights,” Clark said. “I’m all about equal rights. So quite honestly, I wanted to go hear it from the horse’s mouth. So I went directly to the Native American Indians and I directly asked them, ‘the word Redskin, is it offensive to you, am I being disrespectful of you in in any way?’ And they were like no. Not at all. I said ‘What does the word mean to you?’ And it’s the same thing it meant to me….

“They said it means character, a resilient people, a respected people who are a brotherhood of people, who mostly were a warrior [people]. We will not back down from any cause that we believe in. And think about it. That’s what it means. They don’t back away from anything that comes at them, no matter what. The Minnesota Vikings — Vikings are no longer here. Native American Indians are still here. They did not go away. They did not back down from anybody. And that’s to me what the word meant.

“So when people say it’s the N-word, it’s not. It’s not even close. You haven’t heard from nobody, one person, get upset by calling somebody a Redskin. Who?”

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #251 on: August 23, 2014, 02:40:28 PM »
Which is why I have posted videos of people that ARE Native American, so you can't use that BS argument.  Exactly the point YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND.   I could post the numerous letters to the Washington Post from native Americans, polls, videos, etc.  What you really mean to say is that it doesn't conform to what YOU think it should be, and the opinions of only Native Americans that agree with YOUR opinion matters, not the opinions of any Native Americans that disagree. 

Not quite. Plenty of Native Americans think it is offensive. Whether its the majority or not, really doesn't matter to me.

If one Native American thinks its offensive, its probably worth changing.

What white people think, including myself and you, really doesn't matter.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #252 on: August 23, 2014, 03:38:59 PM »
Yup, those Native Americans that support the name apparently are too stupid to read or comprehend....that's the conclusion I take from your answer.  

Then you take an incorrect conclusion. Lots of Native Americans and people of all other races are unaware that "redskin" is by definition a racial slur. They're not stupid, just uninformed. The people like you, who know that it's by definition a racial slur but support it anyway are the stupid ones. Pretty simple, no?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #253 on: August 23, 2014, 04:09:10 PM »
The dumb, ignorant and those not able to comprehend.....so many souls to cleanse and teach

“I am Cherokee from Oklahoma. I became a Redskins fan when I was 8 years old in 1982 when I first saw the logo and team colors. The name fills me with pride and I'm very proud to be a fan. Let's win the NFC EAST! HTTR!!!
”, Billy Williams

“Proud Chiricahua Apache and loyal Redskins fan for over 30 years. Spirit of the Warrior Fight for Old DC! Ahiyi’e (thank you) ” , Mark OneWolf Yancey

"I'm a proud Lumbee Native American out of North Carolina.. I have been a Redskins fan since I was born in 1970 I inherited from my grandfather also a proud Lumbee Native American.. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS ALWAYS AND FOREVER”, Tony Little Bear Chavis

“I'm apart of the Eastern Band of Cherokee from North Carolina. I'm from a very proud and strong blood line. I've been a REDSKIN fan my whole life.......HTTR”,Nicholas Kimmons

“My name's is Gmo Garcia IM a PROUD MEMBER OF THE PASCUA YAQUI TRIBE IN SW TUCSON Az BEEN A REDSK1NS FAN SINCE I CAN REMEMBER #HTTR#4LIFE“, Gmo Garcia!

“Lumbee Tribe in North Carolina. Been a Redskins fan all my life and very proud of everything the Redskins Organization represents. HTTR!”, Dean Locklear!

“100% PROUD NAVAJO (DINĚ). My father was the man that introducedme to my team, WASHINGTON REDSKINS!!I do not find our name offensive, it's exactly the OPPOSITE.!  Sending from Phoenix, AZ.

“ I am a member of the Zuni, Hopi, and Laguna pueblo tribes. I have been a Redskins fan my entire life and at no time did the name ever bring up negative images of us Native Americans. As a Native American, I feel
there are more pressing issues that concern Native people throughout the United States and those issues need to be addressed, more so than the name of a professional football team! Thank you!”, James Macale

“ I am a descendent of the Navajo tribe from Rio Rancho Northern New Mexico. I love my Redskins and I feel nothing but pride in the name“Redskins”. Grace Padilla

“ I am from Albuquerque New Mexico. I am a full blooded Native filled to the brim of Redskins spirit and devout love for the burgundy and gold. I am one half Navajo, one quarter Acoma and one quarter Laguna Pueblos.
I've been a die hard fan for over forty years and I will be til the good Lord calls for me. Love our emblem!! Very loud and proud....not offended one bit! HTTR4LIFE” , Sonya Reed Marion

“I'm Maidu and Pit river NdN,from northern Cali tribes! Been a fan for 32years and counting. Native Pride and a Redskins fan tell I die! HTTR Nation!!”, Kenneth Trejo

“I am a descendant from the Powhatans of Virginia. I am a life long Redskins fan and am very proud the team bears this name. Just bc a small margin people have used it in a negative way does not make it a slur. The Senate exploiting the NA community for votes is disgusting.”, Robert “Rocky” Manfreda

“ Cherokee/Blackfoot here! Me, my dad, my grandfather, and my family members are die hard Redskin fans! It's not just a name, it's a family tradition! HTTR4LIFE!!” , Tammy Joyner

“ I'm Cherokee from Fredericksburg, VA. The Washington Redskins was coincidently was established the same year my dear departed mother was born and I grow up watching The Washington Redskins with my now
departed lovely Aunt, and that's been over thirty yrs ago. This could get longer but, cut to the chase, why try and fix something that ain't broke. I'm proud that the team embodies the name, wear it well. HTTR.”, Cathy Lewis

“I'm Yaqui and been a die hard loyal Redskins fan since 2004. always found pride in the name and logo. HTTR” ,Joe Torres

“My name is Jamie Burdette a San Carlos Apache!! I am a Proud Redskins fan and very proud the team bears this name.” , Jamie Burdette

“I'm a Navajo from Farmington, New Mexico. Me, my, wife and my 3 kids are fans of the proud and mighty Washington Redskins. We support and stand behind this team. HTRR4LIFE.”, Jeff Charley

“Aaron Henderson here, proud member of the Navajo Nation from Farmington New Mexico giving a BIG shout out of Much Love and Respect to our Beloved Washington Redskins.. HAIL TO THEREDSKINS!!”, Aaron Henderson

“ June Lujan from Taos Pueblo, NM. Proud as heck to be amongst ALL MY REDSKINS family. HTTR#4LIFE..My aunt (long past) always enjoyed all our "skins" games. Continuing on for as long as I can.”, June Lujan

“Sioux in my mothers side of family but from Washington State originally then moved to VA. A Redskin fan as long as I can remember. Never in my lifetime have I heard of the Redskin name used as a racial slur. Don't
make something out of it that it is not.”, Jeff Horner

“ Monacan in Virginia very proud of the redskin name.” Karla Plogger

“ was born a Redskins fan ...my tribe is my mothers side ..Powhatan” ,Nancy Riesebleter

“ my tribe Chickasaw......#nonamechange“, Alvin Bruce

“ My husband is Sioux and Lumbee. We are Redskin fans. My daddy passed it to me and I passed it to my son. Proud of the Redskin name!!HTTR!!” , Teresa Smith Locklear

“ I'm Chippewa, Sault Ste. Marie Tribe, MI. As a proud native, I fully support this team and the use of the name. I am not offended by its use. On the contrary, I feel its fosters pride. Our heritage is rich, why hide it?
”,Amber Vegas VA Beach, VA

“I am not a Native American but kudos to those that support the Redskins. The name has always meant to me just what this letter says - pride and unity.” Lisa Roscoe

“ Mitch Vest born and raised on the Ft Yuma Indian reservation CA. I am enrolled Maricopa of the Salt River reservation. I support the Redskins100%.”, Mitch Vest

“ I am from southern Maryland and I am part Chickahominy. I support the Washington Redskins and everything they stand for! Never once growing up did I ever hear of the name Redskins as offensive! It is pride, honor
and tradition! Thank you for giving back and stand strong! HTTR!!!”,Michael Howison

“ I am a proud member of the Tuscarora Nation of North Carolina. I am a proud Washington Redskins fan. A name change will make me an NFL football fan no longer. I am a Skins fan because of the name and the logo.
HTTR ” Yates Snow Wolf Locklear

“ My name is Sue Johnson. I have been a REDSKIN fan for 60 years and a die hard fan for 50 years. Long story short, I am from a small north Louisiana town where football was king and was introduced to the game
early in my life. My only football claim to fame is John David Crow. I found out at a very early age that I have Cherokee ancestry. Well, when you are 8 years old, already are beginning to love football and find out there is this team that plays on television on Sunday and the name is REDSKINS,well, it just meshed. I have never wavered. Lived in the Dallas, Texas area for 25 years, so I have seen my REDSKINS play many, many times at the old Texas Stadium and once at Jerry World. I love my REDSKINS dearly and support them with every ounce of my being. I even have the logo tattooed right over my heart. They have been the REDSKINS since 1932. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS FOREVER!” Sue Riggs Johnson

“ I'm a proud native of sioux/navajo. I'm proud to have a native head as a logo and to be call a redskin. All these other natives trying to remove it are cowboy fans. That's all. Even elders here on Navajo nation are proud of it”, Jonathan Tso

“My name is Christina Palomino I'm of the Yaqui and Apache Nations. I have been a loud and proud Redskins fan for over 30 years ! My family and I have never felt it to be a racial slur, on the contrary we say it with pride. I support and will always stand by my team HTTR4LIFE” ,Christina Palomino

“My name is Janine Vandenberg I am 100% Native American from the Tsimshian Nation , I support the Redskins name, family, nation all that it is and stands for unity. I know a lot of the Natives to whom are fighting the name have real low self esteem and are victims of Hailbritter, Harjo, and the rest of the activists. If only they could get access to some sort of trauma therapy or PTSD counseling they could understand they do not need ti deal with people such as Hatjo or Halbritter to have a better life,
HTTR FOREVER,” Janine LadyofRedskins Vandenberg

“ 'm Northern Cheyenne from Montana I have been a Redskins fan for thirty years I have always thought of the name to be of honor and strength. .The high school I went too had almost same logo so yeah a
huge fan REDSKINS FAN FOREVER. ..Jerry Thex

“ I am Diné from the Navajo Nation & I support the "Washington Redskins" name 100%. I'm not offended by it. I have always been a fan will continue to stand strong behind our team!!#HTTR#keepthename” Yolanda Yazzie

“ Cherokee nation here I was born a Redskins fan and will be until I die. Proud to be a Redskin  HTTR4LIFE
” Jenny Toufas

“ Washoe Paiute and Chippewa. It's freaking fantastic having a NFL football team that allows us to show native pride. HTTR for life”, Brandi Sargento Jingle Dress Dancer

“ Im Sioux/Mohawk and ive been a Redskins fan since I was 8 years old and at this time I learned that I have Indian blood in my veins! Native Pride and Redskins Pride” Timothy Ovard

“ Hello. My name is Marlinda Joe. 100% Navajo and a Proud Washington Redskins Fan. I support the name now and always. And do not have a problem nor am I offended by the name. HTTR" , Marlinda Joe

“Quechan live in Dallas passed down from my PopPop been a fan since I was little. HTTR”, Krystal Payne

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #254 on: August 23, 2014, 04:12:17 PM »
You dumb idiots.......how dare you say it is not an issue for us and that it is insulting that others tell us how to think.  CLEARLY YOU CAN'T COMPREHEND, you're not part of the "some" like the great washed are.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/40SFqadRTQ0#t=13" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/40SFqadRTQ0#t=13</a>

MU82

• All American
« Reply #255 on: August 23, 2014, 09:56:19 PM »
Apparently you didn't play one video, or you would be ashamed at how stupid your analogy is.  Try again as your comparison is shot down directly.  Really poor try, piss poor....UW Osh Kosh level.

Oh ... ouch ... this would wound me deeply if I gave a rat's ass about what you think.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #256 on: August 29, 2014, 08:17:52 AM »
"My Nevada Indians"

http://blogs.rgj.com/politics/2014/08/28/sen-reid-says-he-has-advice-for-hillary-clinton-but-wont-share-it-with-rgj-reporter/

You just can't make this stuff up....this after he was trying to keep "his wong's straight" last week.    Epic.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #257 on: August 29, 2014, 08:55:00 AM »
The dumb, ignorant and those not able to comprehend.....so many souls to cleanse and teach

Oh good lord. lol

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #258 on: August 29, 2014, 08:59:06 AM »
Oh ... ouch ... this would wound me deeply if I gave a rat's ass about what you think.

You care deeply about what I think, because you often respond to my posts.  If you cared not, you wouldn't take a precious second of your time to respond.   ;)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #259 on: August 29, 2014, 09:01:37 AM »
Oh good lord. lol

Go back to some of the original posts, he said only the ignorant, dumb or those that are out of touch would support the name.  So if there are a bunch of Native Americans that support the name, as presented in the videos and numerous letters, quotes, etc, than one can only conclude from his majestic wisdom that these Native Americans are dumb, ignorant, etc.   They must be saved and taught what is correct.   So much irony

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #260 on: August 29, 2014, 10:57:05 AM »
Go back to some of the original posts, he said only the ignorant, dumb or those that are out of touch would support the name.  So if there are a bunch of Native Americans that support the name, as presented in the videos and numerous letters, quotes, etc, than one can only conclude from his majestic wisdom that these Native Americans are dumb, ignorant, etc.   They must be saved and taught what is correct.   So much irony

If a rich white dude owned a team called the Washington N-words, and some African-Americans were ok with it, would that make it any less racist?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #261 on: August 29, 2014, 12:47:35 PM »
If a rich white dude owned a team called the Washington N-words, and some African-Americans were ok with it, would that make it any less racist?

Yes. Social acceptance makes things more socially acceptable.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #262 on: August 29, 2014, 01:36:36 PM »

What white people think, including myself and you, really doesn't matter.

I am from Ireland.  I am one person.  I think a mascot of a midget, bearded and drunk midget that always wants to fight is beyond offensive.  Where do I sign up to change that?

brandx

« Reply #263 on: August 29, 2014, 02:10:45 PM »
I am from Ireland.  I am one person.  I think a mascot of a midget, bearded and drunk midget that always wants to fight is beyond offensive.  Where do I sign up to change that?

Go eat some potatoes!!

;D

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #264 on: August 29, 2014, 03:03:40 PM »

Ridiculous comparison.  The N word throughout history has had a negative connotation since the very first time it was uttered.  Not the case with Redskin, not close.  In fact, many Native Americans believe it a term of honor.

Senior Linquist Smithsonian Institute..... http://anthropology.si.edu/goddard/redskin.pdf

You're comparing apples to volkswagons.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #265 on: August 29, 2014, 03:17:58 PM »

That's not how the game works.  You see, you are white and therefore you are unable to feel offended.  It is impossible, or so the great washed will tell you. No seriously, you have NO RIGHT to be offended.  Furthermore, ONLY you and your race can be the offendees, not any other race (just ask Michael Eric Dyson or a whole host of others with that distorted mindset). You have no "history" of persecution, so go to the back of the bus (yup, ironic) with your complaint. 

Now, if you want to fast track this, just get a bunch of libs to wet themselves a few times to get some publicity, and you might move up a bit.  I would suggest taking the angle of maybe finding some obscure historical reference (you can even make a few up if you wish...that's been done) where it will allow your outrage to gain some strength.  Then, work in an anecdote or two on how the name is preventing you from achieving in life, that you are unable to overcome this nickname (clearly, the foresaken nicknames elsewhere are keeping peeps down) and the oppression must stop....."oppression", "execution", "murder", "racist"....a few code words you'll want to work in to get folks to notice.   You might have a chance, but your biggest problem is your pale face.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #266 on: August 29, 2014, 03:24:34 PM »
That's not how the game works.  You see, you are white and therefore you are unable to feel offended.  It is impossible, or so the great washed will tell you. No seriously, you have NO RIGHT to be offended.  Furthermore, ONLY you and your race can be the offendees, not any other race (just ask Michael Eric Dyson or a whole host of others with that distorted mindset). You have no "history" of persecution, so go to the back of the bus (yup, ironic) with your complaint. 

Now, if you want to fast track this, just get a bunch of libs to wet themselves a few times to get some publicity, and you might move up a bit.  I would suggest taking the angle of maybe finding some obscure historical reference (you can even make a few up if you wish...that's been done) where it will allow your outrage to gain some strength.  Then, work in an anecdote or two on how the name is preventing you from achieving in life, that you are unable to overcome this nickname (clearly, the foresaken nicknames elsewhere are keeping peeps down) and the oppression must stop....."oppression", "execution", "murder", "racist"....a few code words you'll want to work in to get folks to notice.   You might have a chance, but your biggest problem is your pale face.

You mad bro?

brandx

« Reply #267 on: August 29, 2014, 03:35:53 PM »
Wow!!

Someone never got to hang out with the cool kids.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #268 on: August 29, 2014, 03:50:26 PM »

I'm pretty offended by Tulsa and Miami for glorifying hurricanes because some of my relatives died in Hurricane Camille.  How do I get those changed?

Or does the one person standard apply only to groups of your choosing?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #269 on: August 29, 2014, 03:56:15 PM »
According to the surveys that the Redskins themselves provided to the Patent Office, it was 30%.  30% of Native Americans found the name offensive.

30% is significant.

Seriously, a sports team's nickname that offends 30% of the population it is supposed to honor.  (According to its owner.)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #270 on: August 29, 2014, 04:20:18 PM »
According to the surveys that the Redskins themselves provided to the Patent Office, it was 30%.  30% of Native Americans found the name offensive.

30% is significant.

Seriously, a sports team's nickname that offends 30% of the population it is supposed to honor.  (According to its owner.)

So 70% weren't offended?

Sounds like the Redskins are doing better among Native Americans than MU is doing among its own fans....

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #271 on: August 29, 2014, 08:23:06 PM »
So 70% weren't offended?

Weren't offended or simply didn't care.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #272 on: August 29, 2014, 09:47:01 PM »
I'm pretty offended by Tulsa and Miami for glorifying hurricanes because some of my relatives died in Hurricane Camille.  How do I get those changed?

Or does the one person standard apply only to groups of your choosing?

I have yet to see anyone seriously assert they have been offended by this. If you are, I'd encourage you to take it up with the respective schools.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #273 on: August 29, 2014, 10:04:50 PM »
I'm just curious, why do you think it is that so many Native Americans find honor with the name?  Get tattooed with the name, buy merchandise, etc?  To the point of naming some of their own high school mascots as Redskins.

I guess I missed where a high school, even one predominantly African American, decided to have their official name as the N's.  Perhaps it has happened and someone can point it out.

But back to the point, how come so many of these people have it so wrong?  Why are they so dumb, so ignorant, so stupid, so out of touch?  Do you think a few decades of reeducation training will do the trick?