[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Mumford & Sons  (Read 8553 times)

swoopem

• All American
Re: Mumford & Sons
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2013, 04:52:50 PM »
If you guys like live music and are in Milwaukee around Halloween check out Umphreys McGee at the Riverside. They're playing 3 nights and they can throw down.
Bring back FFP!!!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2013, 05:16:18 PM »
Fair enough.  I guess my point was that Sigh No More (2009 release) had already been a huge hit, and then Babel (September 2012 release) completely blew up.  It wasn't just all of a sudden this summer everyone figured out who they were.

I just think it's a refreshing change of pace when a band that has such a diverse instrument selection (various horns and trumpets, various string instruments, banjos, guitars, upright bass, etc.) and doesn't need all the digital enhancements that all modern bigtime bands seem to need.  How many bands are big enough to be put into the Marcus Amphitheater and sound exactly like they do on their studio CDs as they do singing live?  I'm no musician or musical expert, but I'd guess it's far more common nowadays to see a lead singer lip singing because they truly can't sing without digital enhancements (not to mention the instruments) than it is to see a band like Mumford who sounds exactly the same live because they don't do the whole digital enhancement.

And as far as the fanbase being the same as Dave Matthews, if that's true then Mumford not only draws DMB's fans but also a whole new group that are not DMB fans.  Unless myself and almost my entire group of friends are complete outliers and not a representative of the Mumford fan group at all, almost all of us don't necessarily dislike DMB, but we certainly aren't diehard DMB fans.

You need to see more shows if you think bands can't sound like their studio albums live.  Usually, there are places where sound is better or worse.  Arenas are terrible.  Outdoor venues will ALWAYS sound better.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2013, 12:44:07 PM »
Mumford's debut album put them on the map and they went over the top in February with the Grammy win.  They are on the leading edge of a folk rock revival, they are much more Dylan than they are DMB.  DMB was all about the jam band/party set, thats not Mumford's demo.

If you are purely talking from a band wagon perspective, there are some similarities and I would expect some backlash within the next three years, but that it pretty true of a lot of borderline superstar groups that get hot fast.  DMB was one, Nickelback was another.  When you get the backlash is when you have "fans" that love the band and the music but don't know anything else and come off as typical pop-trend followers.  These "fans" then leave a bad impression with non-fans and then there is push back.  You get fans that claim they are the biggest Mumford fans, but have never heard of the Avett Brothers, not saying you have to be a fan of both bands but to be a fan you'd have to at least be aware.  That be like claiming to be the biggest DMB fan and not knowing who Tim Reynolds is or who Theory of a Deadman is if your the last remaining Nickelback fan.

Tim Reynolds is who you're going for? Come on there's OAR(beyond love and memories and crazy game of poker) there's dispatch/state radio there's umphreys McGee etc i don't think Tim Reynolds make or breaks a jam fan.  And Avett Bros are pretty big (saw em with violent femmes at summerfest) I'd go for lumineers or something. 

Regaurding the similarities and differences are easily seen in Philip Phillips that guy crosses between sounding like mumford and sons to DMB seemlessly. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2013, 02:01:40 PM »
the Mumford show in Milwaukee is available for download as FLAC, DVD and even Blu-ray at the Dime

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2013, 02:18:02 PM »
the Mumford show in Milwaukee is available for download as FLAC, DVD and even Blu-ray at the Dime

Link?

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2013, 02:35:37 PM »
If you guys like live music and are in Milwaukee around Halloween check out Umphreys McGee at the Riverside. They're playing 3 nights and they can throw down.

IMO, UM is currently the best live music band there is.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2013, 02:44:15 PM »
Link?

Dime requires joining (free) and if you get a message that no new memberships are available try, try again as they do add new members daily as old ones are pruned

AUD shot Blu-ray: http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=464010
AUD shot dvd: http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=464006
AUD recorded audio FLAC: http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=463992

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2013, 04:47:46 PM »
IMO, UM is currently the best live music band there is.

+1 Umphreys McGee is amazing.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2013, 02:03:06 PM »
Tim Reynolds is who you're going for? Come on there's OAR(beyond love and memories and crazy game of poker) there's dispatch/state radio there's umphreys McGee etc i don't think Tim Reynolds make or breaks a jam fan.  And Avett Bros are pretty big (saw em with violent femmes at summerfest) I'd go for lumineers or something. 

Regarding the similarities and differences are easily seen in Philip Phillips that guy crosses between sounding like mumford and sons to DMB seemlessly. 

It wasn't an exhaustive list, the whole point was that "fans" of the band who have no idea of bands/artists in the same genre come off as idiots which starts the backlash against a particular band.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2013, 12:49:30 PM »
Anyone going to the Widespread Panic shows at the Riverside this weekend? I'll be there Saturday night, should be a good time.
Bring back FFP!!!

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2013, 02:11:59 PM »
Anyone going to the Widespread Panic shows at the Riverside this weekend? I'll be there Saturday night, should be a good time.

After Parties with Jerry Joseph & Jackmormans all three nights at Mo's downtown

http://pabsttheater.org/show/jerryjosephafterparty2013

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2015, 03:49:59 PM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brandx

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2015, 03:56:38 PM »
My only (if I have one) complaint is that I like live music better than studio music because it is typically more organic and original and spontaneous. Mumford, along with other groups, play almost identically to the same notes, etc that are on the album. I'd like it if they changed some of the solos, interludes, etc up a bit to make their live shows special.

Completely agree.

Love the grittier live sound as opposed to the clean over-produced stuff we usually get.

JuniorCardigan

• Walk-On
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2015, 06:36:42 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW6SkvErFEE

Mumford...or Coldplay?

Well, good to know that adding electric guitars doesn't change how much they suck
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 06:39:41 PM by JuniorCardigan »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2015, 07:07:33 PM »
Well, good to know that adding electric guitars doesn't change how much they suck

http://en.mediamass.net/people/marcus-mumford/highest-paid.html

Yup.  You usually nearly triple the 2nd highest paid musician in the world in a given year by sucking.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JuniorCardigan

• Walk-On
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2015, 08:25:16 PM »

Yup.  You usually nearly triple the 2nd highest paid musician in the world in a given year by sucking.

Do we really need to go into about how the amount of money a band makes and the quality of their music aren't really all that related? Album sales mean very little today. That discussion has been done to death.

I just can't stand them and their sort of folk/pop music. There are an immense amount of pretty popular folk bands out there that make much better music than them. To each his own, but I'll take Fleet Foxes or Sufjan Stevens over Mumford and Sons any day of the week.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 08:27:38 PM by JuniorCardigan »

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2015, 09:15:13 AM »

Yup.  You usually nearly triple the 2nd highest paid musician in the world in a given year by sucking.

I like Mumford and Sons, but you do realize that article is absolute satire, correct?  Did you read it?  He created the "Fat Mumford Burger" and his own perfume? 

Mediamass is known for doing these type of outrageous articles.

feedback