[Today at 07:24:54 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2014 Old Spice Classic in Orlando  (Read 92655 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: 2014 Old Spice Classic in Orlando
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2014, 11:51:36 PM »
Who from this board is going? I'm afraid of roller coasters but would totally ride with MBD rollin with me.

No worries, "It's a Small World" is on a continuous loop for the BJ Party Posse.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2014, 08:53:49 AM »
Benny's going a la carte, but I'm bringing the trio of offspring, so we're not staying at the Gaylord... I just couldn't unleash that kind of terror on my fellow MU alums since the rest of you will be on vacation.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Big Daddy 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2014, 03:09:33 PM »

Team Big Daddy is going - 11 in all ; 8 family  members  and the cook, driver and gardener  see attach photos below
Bacon “The Chef”         Tiny “The Driver”      Fritz “The Gardener”

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2014, 04:00:56 PM »
Team Big Daddy is going - 11 in all ; 8 family  members  and the cook, driver and gardener  see attach photos below

I thought they were the butcher, the baker, and the candlestick maker.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2014, 07:51:06 PM »

Damn BD, this looks just like the crew formerly known as the Butcher, the Baker, and the Candlestick Maker, aina?

"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

spazerak

• Walk-On
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2014, 07:54:40 PM »
I will be over there.  Live in Tampa, so it's kinda like Milwaukee to Madison (west side of Madison though, Disney traffic can suck).  Might be solo, might bring the wife, all depends.  Go MU, glad they're playing down here, haven't been to a game since Gainesville a few years back, ugh. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2014, 08:52:13 PM »
I am leaning heavily (only way I can lean) to being there. There's some inexpensive hotel options VERY near the Gaylord. That's what I'm about - inexpensive hotels. Wifi, free breakfast and I'm good.

Watching MU beat GT, MSU and then RI in the championship game will be a delight.

What are we doing on Saturday? Sleeping, probably. But I do want to go to Universal or on a Disney ride with MBD.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2014, 09:57:27 AM »
I am leaning heavily (only way I can lean) to being there. There's some inexpensive hotel options VERY near the Gaylord. That's what I'm about - inexpensive hotels. Wifi, free breakfast and I'm good.

Watching MU beat GT, MSU and then RI in the championship game will be a delight.

What are we doing on Saturday? Sleeping, probably. But I do want to go to Universal or on a Disney ride with MBD.

What's considered inexpensive for Dinney Wurld hotels? I had it in my head that a decent hotel is going to run you close to $200/night at DW, but this must be a way off-peak week for them because even the GP is only about $150/night if you stay 5+ nights.

I stayed at the Wyndham across from the old Pleasure Island complex many years ago when it was a Hyatt Regency (and Pleasure Island was still open); the going rate there is on par with the Gaylord, but I consider the GP a step or two higher in quality.  There are plenty of 3-stars under $100/night, but very few 4-stars under $150/night.  The only 5-star I see (Waldorf) is $229/night.  This all seems pretty damn cheap for DW.

Sure, you can get into the Motel 6 or Super 8 right down the street from the WWOS arena under $50/night, but would you even want to? 

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2014, 10:07:28 AM »
What's considered inexpensive for Dinney Wurld hotels? I had it in my head that a decent hotel is going to run you close to $200/night at DW, but this must be a way off-peak week for them because even the GP is only about $150/night if you stay 5+ nights.

I stayed at the Wyndham across from the old Pleasure Island complex many years ago when it was a Hyatt Regency (and Pleasure Island was still open); the going rate there is on par with the Gaylord, but I consider the GP a step or two higher in quality.  There are plenty of 3-stars under $100/night, but very few 4-stars under $150/night.  The only 5-star I see (Waldorf) is $229/night.  This all seems pretty damn cheap for DW.

Sure, you can get into the Motel 6 or Super 8 right down the street from the WWOS arena under $50/night, but would you even want to? 

Benny,
They get you when you visit the park.  It's probably pretty close to $100 per person.  Kids are just a hair less.  AAA discounts only kick in after 3 or more days at the park.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2014, 10:18:12 AM »
Benny,
They get you when you visit the park.  It's probably pretty close to $100 per person.  Kids are just a hair less.  AAA discounts only kick in after 3 or more days at the park.

So it's the old Barbie model, eh? Give 'em the doll dirt cheap and jack the costs on clothes and accessories.  Even the discounted DW tickets are over $90/person; thanks, but no.  I'll be perfectly happy with the naked, anatomically-lacking doll.

Fortunately, my kids would much prefer swimming at the hotel to waiting an hour in line for something similar to what they rode at MOA.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2014, 10:35:24 AM »
$38 / night at Super 8. If you're a bachelor who isn't going to use the room much except to sleep & shower... it's an option.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2014, 01:07:27 PM »
So it's the old Barbie model, eh? Give 'em the doll dirt cheap and jack the costs on clothes and accessories.  Even the discounted DW tickets are over $90/person; thanks, but no.  I'll be perfectly happy with the naked, anatomically-lacking doll.

Fortunately, my kids would much prefer swimming at the hotel to waiting an hour in line for something similar to what they rode at MOA.

I was in Orlando in the summer of 2012 & 2013.  I accepted the Hilton Honors shameless attempt to sell me a timeshare at the Hilton Parc Soliel.  A beautiful resort with a kid's area and game room, waterslide and walk-in pool and the perfect weather to go with it all.  It worked out to be $91/night for a 2 bedroom & 2 bathroom condo.  We wanted to buy, but didn't, so Hilton gave us 18 months to reconsider so we went back the following year for 5-nights.   Hit Magic Kingdom & Universal in 2012 and Animal Kingdom/Epcot (on a Parkhopper) & Sea Word in 2013.  Spent 3 nights on Daytona Beach beforehand in 2012 and 3 nights in St. Petersburg Beach afterwards in 2013.  Each year the parks cost me way more than my six nights of hotel stays including beachfront. 

And like your kids, mine preferred hanging at the pool the best.  They also liked Sea World better than Disney.  I think they liked the Clearwater Marine Aquarium better than Disney for that matter.   

I had these prices in spreadsheet for 2013 to give you an idea of park entry prices.
SEA WORLD              Adult           Up to 9 yrs old
1-DAY                      $78.99    $70.99

DISNEY         
1-DAY                      $94.79    $88.40
1-DAY Park Hopper      $132.06    $125.67
2-DAY                      $187.44    $174.66
2-DAY Park Hopper      $248.15    $235.37
2-DAY No Expiration      $219.39    $206.61
2-DAY No Exp/Park Hop   $280.10    $267.32

UNIVERSAL         
1-DAY                      $88.00    $82.00
1-DAY Park Hopper      $123.00    $117.00
2-DAY                      $119.99    $109.99

spazerak

• Walk-On
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2014, 06:36:28 PM »
If you're looking for roller coasters, Universal/Islands of Adventure is definitely the way to go.

Went to DW this summer with my wife (no kids) since I've lived here 4+ years now and figure I should check it out.  Stooooopid expensive and I give credit to anyone hauling kids around that place.  And not a beer to be had ANYWHERE (at Magic Kingdom anyways). 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2014, 07:01:37 PM »
If you're looking for roller coasters, Universal/Islands of Adventure is definitely the way to go.

Went to DW this summer with my wife (no kids) since I've lived here 4+ years now and figure I should check it out.  Stooooopid expensive and I give credit to anyone hauling kids around that place.  And not a beer to be had ANYWHERE (at Magic Kingdom anyways). 

And Fantasyland was a bit of a disappointment.   None of my fantasies there. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2014, 07:14:35 PM »

There is absolutely beer in Magic Kingdom.  Only way to get through a 90+ degrees day while guiding three kiddos under 7 through that overpriced hellhole. 

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2014, 08:42:19 PM »
There is absolutely beer in Magic Kingdom.  Only way to get through a 90+ degrees day while guiding three kiddos under 7 through that overpriced hellhole.  

The Magic Kingdom has been selling beer for two years.  Sadly, it was dry the last time I took the kids there.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/09/14/magic-kingdom-no-longer-dry-ready-to-serve-beer-wine/

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2014, 11:04:41 AM »
And Fantasyland was a bit of a disappointment.   None of my fantasies there. 

A Fantasyland for everyone is a fantasy land for no one.  That's why I'm hoping a lot of people don't make it to heaven.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2014, 09:27:55 PM »
I'm in. Flights are booked.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2014, 11:15:07 PM »
Comfort Suites... down the road from the team hotel.. 20% discount if you book 4 nights in a row. Really good reviews; value proposition looks solid.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2014, 09:36:04 AM »
We booked at the Hyatt Cypress - $135/nt, but the wife is now looking into vacation homes or renting a timeshare (one that's already sold, not one we have to sit through a presentation).  Though anything "Suites" sounds awfully compelling with three kids... are those actually two-room suites or just a big room with a half-wall/divider in the middle?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2014, 09:56:24 AM »
We booked at the Hyatt Cypress - $135/nt, but the wife is now looking into vacation homes or renting a timeshare (one that's already sold, not one we have to sit through a presentation).  Though anything "Suites" sounds awfully compelling with three kids... are those actually two-room suites or just a big room with a half-wall/divider in the middle?

Benny B - it depends. 
Go to the website, they usually have photos of the room (type) and will state if it "two-room" or a studio or one big room that just has a kitchenette & pull-out couch.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2014, 05:02:30 PM »
I priced the Gaylord for 7 nights all-in (taxes, resort fees, parking, etc.) for a basic 2Q room at just under $1,500 a couple weeks ago.  Hyatt Cypress was about $100 less.

My wife's research indicates that there are some decent 3-4BR vacation rentals that can be had for well under $1,000 all-in.  Granted, there's no pirate ship at any of the rentals, but some of them are timeshare/resort properties so they have a lot of the amenities that the hotels do.

For $500 over 7 days, I'd typically opt for the convenience of a hotel over a vacation home if it was just my wife and I; however with kids, the peace of not only being able to sleep in our own room, but having each of the kids in their own room seems like you can't even put a price on that.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2014, 12:40:17 PM »
Did anyone go to the Old Spice Classic in 2009?

Apparently the tickets are all General Admission... any thoughts on the seating at the Milk House?

I assume that like other tournaments, the best seats are to be found by waiting for fans from the previous game vacate their seats.  But since it's GA, I'm wondering if people are constantly jockeying for better seats as other people leave or if the turnover mostly occurs between games.

Any seats/sections that are better than others?

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2014, 12:43:34 PM »

Apparently the tickets are all General Admission... any thoughts on the seating at the Milk House?

I assume that like other tournaments, the best seats are to be found by waiting for fans from the previous game vacate their seats.  But since it's GA, I'm wondering if people are constantly jockeying for better seats as other people leave or if the turnover mostly occurs between games.

We haven't bought our tickets yet--do we just do that through the Orlando Classic Website, or is there a way/allotment through MU?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2014, 02:21:39 PM »

I was there. There was very little competition for seats. We walked in maybe 30 minutes before the game started and sat in the third row. It's a small gym so there aren't any really bad seats.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback