[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2014 Old Spice Classic in Orlando  (Read 92406 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: 2014 Old Spice Classic in Orlando
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2014, 09:16:29 AM »
Dammit.  I was tipped off to the GP about a month ago, and I was hoping they'd consider an alternative for the team hotel.  $300/night for a basic room is fine if you're going to Maui or Diamondhead, but there are decent resort properties that can be had for under $200/nt in Orlando that time of year.  Heck... the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress is only $150/nt., and - while I have not stayed there myself - I have been told it's every bit as good as the GP, just without a pirate ship.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2014, 09:26:41 AM »
Dammit.  I was tipped off to the GP about a month ago, and I was hoping they'd consider an alternative for the team hotel.  $300/night for a basic room is fine if you're going to Maui or Diamondhead, but there are decent resort properties that can be had for under $200/nt in Orlando that time of year.  Heck... the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress is only $150/nt., and - while I have not stayed there myself - I have been told it's every bit as good as the GP, just without a pirate ship.

Last time I was at the Old Spice Class, my hotel was $22 a night and very close to the arena.

(Developed a rash and a series of illnesses, but the price was right.)
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2014, 10:11:39 AM »
Last time I was at the Old Spice Class, my hotel was $22 a night and very close to the arena.

$22/night and even includes bedbugs!

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2014, 11:41:53 AM »

How much for the lady who shares the bed?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2014, 12:44:18 PM »
How much for the lady who shares the bed?

Could have been had for less than double the $22, but I declined. With the off day during the tourney I went to my condo in Palm Beach for two nights. This year if I go I'll probably stay in Orlando for the duration... and get a better hotel.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2014, 12:43:33 PM »
Basic King or 2 Queen rooms at Gaylord Palms has dropped to $183/nt (with AAA membership)... if you're into the Disney thing, the official travel package isn't a bad deal right now.  For two adults, the cost of buying hotel, game tickets and theme park tickets ala carte is about the same as the package deal.  However, if you don't want to do the Disney thing, you can save yourself $500 off the package price.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2014, 01:10:34 PM »
Basic King or 2 Queen rooms at Gaylord Palms has dropped to $183/nt (with AAA membership)... if you're into the Disney thing, the official travel package isn't a bad deal right now.  For two adults, the cost of buying hotel, game tickets and theme park tickets ala carte is about the same as the package deal.  However, if you don't want to do the Disney thing, you can save yourself $500 off the package price.

Would you need a car?
Are there transportation shuttles between the hotel and the park/stadium?

https://www.anthonytravel.com/espn/orlando-classic/

TRAVEL PACKAGES
Official Orlando Classic Travel Package  |  Nov. 26-30

Four (4) night hotel accommodations at the Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center
2 Day Magic Your Way Ticket with Park Hopper®*
Round-trip gameday bus transportation
All-session game ticket
Commemorative credential & lanyard
On-site travel directors
All taxes & fees

Single   Double   Triple      Quad   Child
$1,249   $889           $765      $705   $465

All package prices are per person, tax inclusive. Child prices apply to children ages 3-17. Packages DO NOT include airfare. Please see the Air Reservation section below for assistance.

*WALT DISNEY WORLD® Theme Park Tickets are valid for use only on the specific dates of the events and for a limited period of time before and/or after the event.

Extend Your Stay

Anthony Travel has secured the specially-priced rate of $185 per night, plus tax for Sunday, November 30, at the Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center.

If you would like to upgrade your reservation or request a night other than Sunday, November 30, please call 888-632-6951 or email OrlandoClassic@AnthonyTravel.com.

THEME PARK TICKETS
Book Now

Save up to $126 with Anthony Travel!

Want more magic? Specially-priced Theme Park Tickets are offered exclusively through Anthony Travel for participants and fans of the Orlando Classic. Tickets will be valid only on the specific dates of the event and for seven days before and after the event.

Please see below to learn more about ticket options and significant savings. The deadline to purchase your specially-priced Theme Park Tickets is Friday, October 31.

Theme Park Tickets will be available for pick-up at the Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center with the rest of your package components. If you prefer your tickets be shipped ahead of time, you must make a request at the time of your reservation.

View Available Ticket Options

AIR RESERVATIONS

Need assistance with making your flight reservations? A sports travel expert can assist with your air reservations. Please call 888-632-6951 today!

CAR & VAN RENTALS

Reserve Online

Need a car or van during your stay? Anthony Travel has partnered with leading car rental companies to offer a wide variety of cars or vans for easy and efficient travel at exclusive discounted rates. Anthony Travel customers will receive a special discount from National Car Rental as well as a complimentary membership in their National's Emerald Club® or a discounted rate from Enterprise Rent-A-Car. Reserve the option that fits your needs now!

National >Enterprise >

Additional Assistance
Need additional assistance with car or van rentals? Let an Anthony Travel sports expert provide options for you. Call 888-632-6951 today!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 01:13:47 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2014, 01:23:57 PM »
"Commemorative credential" = name tag?

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2014, 01:25:25 PM »
Kudos to ESPN for getting it right this time.
SS Marquette

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2014, 02:05:46 PM »
Would you need a car?
Are there transportation shuttles between the hotel and the park/stadium?

https://www.anthonytravel.com/espn/orlando-classic/

Personally, I need a car regardless... with two kids in booster seats and one in an infant carrier, I much prefer the flexibility of a rental car to bus transportation.  Besides, rental cars in Orlando are pretty reasonable, so I don't see a heck of a lot of value in the package's inclusive ground transportation; that said, for people who use taxis and shuttles for everything when on vacation (which, I'll admit, is what I saw a lot of in Maui), it definitely makes the package an even better deal (not to mention you don't have to fork out an extra $20/day for parking).  At the very least, those booking the package are going to need airport transportation to the hotel, which is about 20 miles away from MCO; however, once you're at the hotel, there are shuttles to take you to the Disney theme parks, so unless you're going off (Disney) property, a rental car isn't necessary.

That said, I'm strongly considering a package deal right now... not sure how the pricing would work for 2A2C but if we paid the quad rate for the two adults and the child rate for the two kids (assuming no charge for the infant), we'd be at $2340 all in.  Ala carte, we're already at $1600 for hotel and tickets, and if we bought 2-day Disney passes, that's another $1000; however, the kids aren't to the age where the theme parks are going to do anything, so that's a throwaway IMO.  Rental car is already booked for $450, so it looks like a wash either way.  I don't know if the Disney passes have any resale value, but if I could scalp those passes, that might tip the scales in favor of the package.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2014, 11:28:00 PM »
My daughter was just at Disney. She stayed at a Disney hotel and everything incuding the park admission was on a wrist band, so you may not be able to resell the park passes.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2014, 10:46:10 AM »
If my wife and I go to this, it will be a fairly last-minute decision. For those who have gone in the past, how difficult do you think it will be for us to get tickets without paying a ridiculous scalper premium?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2014, 11:32:34 AM »
If my wife and I go to this, it will be a fairly last-minute decision. For those who have gone in the past, how difficult do you think it will be for us to get tickets without paying a ridiculous scalper premium?

The arena holds 5,000 and box scores from previous seasons indicate that they rarely get more than 3,000-4,000, even for the Championship games.  Our Championship game with FSU a few years back was listed at about 2,200.  The wild card is this field being particularly strong, with both KU and MSU.  I'd bet it won't be too bad.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2014, 11:42:24 AM »
The arena holds 5,000 and box scores from previous seasons indicate that they rarely get more than 3,000-4,000, even for the Championship games.  Our Championship game with FSU a few years back was listed at about 2,200.  The wild card is this field being particularly strong, with both KU and MSU.  I'd bet it won't be too bad.

Thanks, good to know.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2014, 12:23:49 PM »
I've worked media there before and they had some shared seats on press row (i.e., the team you're covering is playing, it's your seat, when team x is playing it's another guy's seat.. neither team is playing you can fight for it).. when I was just watching games, there were some that I went into the regular stands and spread out like no other. Had two rows to myself. Computer, food, bags, etc.. just a ton of space.

Thanksgiving makes it a hard sell, but some of the teams in this year's tourney have some strong and odd fanbases who might make this year an outlier.

The question of the day is... who do you want in the quarterfinals? We may find out in a few days who it is. GT?

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2014, 01:00:09 PM »

Just my two cents, but with KU and MSU playing, I'd bet the 4-5k tickets sell pretty well.  It won't be like years past.  MU's following is also not bad.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2014, 03:11:00 PM »
Someone tweeted that the tournament schedule will be out early next week.  I agree with GT in the "4-5" matchup, with probably Kansas waiting in the semifinal.

77ncaachamps

• All American
SS Marquette

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2014, 12:09:31 AM »
Not sure about this deal but maybe someone can chime in on the location and deal:

http://www.sweetjack.com/travel/deal/national/casa-2-nights-orlando--1128972?utm_source=SweetJack&utm_medium=MerchantAPI&utm_campaign=SweetJack_1128972&linksrc=image&_wcsid=BA5A613EAB8230F5B5A063427DE757D81FC946ECCE2FF597

ZFB would know about this SweetJack.com site, but as for the deal it looks to be Sun - Weds nights only. Not good for purposes of the Orlando Classic

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2014, 10:59:22 AM »
ZFB would know about this SweetJack.com site, but as for the deal it looks to be Sun - Weds nights only. Not good for purposes of the Orlando Classic

Of course it is...if you're there for the Championship when MU plays. ;)

And decide to celebrate by visiting Disney World afterwards!
SS Marquette

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2014, 01:28:43 PM »
Who from this board is going? I'm afraid of roller coasters but would totally ride with MBD rollin with me.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2014, 07:12:22 PM »
Ill be there with the entire TAMU clan
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2014, 07:19:53 PM »
My wife and I are going.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2014, 07:21:15 PM »
Booked at Gaylord Palms from Tuesday to Sunday. Kids in tow, but there they will probably opt for the parks on Sat/Sun.
I am on board for all the games. Went last time. Was a great time. Hopefully the weather is a bit warmer this time, so my Florida kids can enjoy the pool and water parks.  

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2014, 09:22:31 PM »
pics?