Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2014 Old Spice Classic in Orlando  (Read 92705 times)

swoopem

• All American
2014 Old Spice Classic in Orlando
« on: August 12, 2013, 02:49:57 PM »
My friend who went to Kansas just told me that KU and MU will both be in the 2014 Old Spice Classic but I haven't heard anything about this, anyone know if its true? Also who else is going to be there, thanks
Bring back FFP!!!

GGGG

• All American
Re: 2014 Old Spice Classic in Orlando
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 03:31:51 PM »
My friend who went to Kansas just told me that KU and MU will both be in the 2014 Old Spice Classic but I haven't heard anything about this, anyone know if its true? Also who else is going to be there, thanks

He is correct.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/68286/3-point-shot-terps-cats-a-sleeper-matchup

"In 2014, Orlando’s Old Spice Classic will have marquee teams Kansas, Michigan State and Marquette, which may make that event the top in ’14."

marquette20

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 03:41:54 PM »
Michagin State in it too. Big time tournament will help that non conference schedule for sure.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 03:47:30 PM »
Michagin State in it too. Big time tournament will help that non conference schedule for sure.
Wow. Really impressive group of teams there. Glad we're a part of it.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 04:01:34 PM »
Wow. Really impressive group of teams there. Glad we're a part of it.

I've lamented being the big dog in the conf (fine Georgetown trolls, the 2nd biggest name) but it has its benefits with deals like this.  We're not fighting with UConn, Cuse, Louisville, Pitt, ND for placement.  As long as rules state only 1 rep per conference, we're bound to be on the "A-List" rotation.  We always did well beforehand but I would imagine we'll continue to be included and always a 1st or 2nd option.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 04:03:16 PM »
I've lamented being the big dog in the conf (fine Georgetown trolls, the 2nd biggest name) but it has its benefits with deals like this.  We're not fighting with UConn, Cuse, Louisville, Pitt, ND for placement.  As long as rules state only 1 rep per conference, we're bound to be on the "A-List" rotation.  We always did well beforehand but I would imagine we'll continue to be included and always a 1st or 2nd option.

Ironically, I think Xavier is also in this tournament.  As with Creighton this fall, this stuff was put together prior to the NBE membership was finalized.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 04:08:03 PM »
Kansas and Michigan State are probably the 2 teams I want to play most due to having friends go to both schools so I'm pumped. I'll definitely be going to this tournament.
Bring back FFP!!!

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 04:22:40 PM »
Buzz better recruit a couple bigs to go to war with those guys.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 04:23:36 PM »

Are you just baiting BC Hoopster and willie now?

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 05:04:46 PM »
I saw MU was playing in Orlando in 2014 for about two years. This is the first that I've heard about other teams.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 05:20:37 PM »
Having painful memories of our choking against Florida state the last time we were in the old spice classic. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 05:23:06 PM »

Self and Izzo better recruit some high-quality switchables to go to war against our guys.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 05:30:11 PM »
Self and Izzo better recruit some high-quality switchables to go to war against our guys.

I like Izzo in this tourney.  Buzz and Self will be reeling from Otule and Wiggins going 1 and 2 in the 2014 Draft.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 05:56:11 PM »
I hope the teams are staying at hotels on solid ground.
SS Marquette

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 08:36:52 PM »
I saw MU was playing in Orlando in 2014 for about two years. This is the first that I've heard about other teams.

I seem to recall MU announcing Orlando in '14 about the same time or perhaps before they announced Anaheim in '13.  I could be wrong about that, though.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 08:59:52 PM »
Having painful memories of our choking against Florida state the last time we were in the old spice classic. 

Was a horrible, ugly choke job.  The first two games were super exciting though.  We walked out of Disney feeling pretty good about a team that wasn't even supposed to make the NIT.  A really nice preseason tournament, will be nice to return. 

The memorable Jimmy Butler rendition of Party in the USA at 1:00.  Tidbits of all four MU players to play in the NBA from that team...who'd have thunk it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRkvPIwFTbA 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 10:27:21 PM »
Was a horrible, ugly choke job.  The first two games were super exciting though.  We walked out of Disney feeling pretty good about a team that wasn't even supposed to make the NIT.  A really nice preseason tournament, will be nice to return. 

The memorable Jimmy Butler rendition of Party in the USA at 1:00.  Tidbits of all four MU players to play in the NBA from that team...who'd have thunk it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRkvPIwFTbA 

True but I remember sitting in my Brodonnel dorm thinking we were such hot stuff at half time and then my jaw dropping the entire second half. First of many choke jobs and unreal last minute shots that year.  I wouldn't have predicted jimmy that year to be honest but I was still new to CBB opposed to the NBA. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 12:36:53 AM »
Izzo is going to need to do some serious reloading after this season. Harris will be gone, Payne will be gone, Dawson will be gone. His latest class was very weak. He's hunting big game in 2014 (Okafor, Jones, Towns Jr. etc) but I wouldn't be surprised to see him strike out. I think Michigan State has a down year.

Conversely, Kansas will be stacked next season. I think they have a good chance of retaining most of their players (-Wiggins) and will be a preseason favorite to win it all.

Can't wait for this tourney. I will start saving up now.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 01:06:36 AM »
Izzo is going to need to do some serious reloading after this season. Harris will be gone, Payne will be gone, Dawson will be gone. His latest class was very weak. He's hunting big game in 2014 (Okafor, Jones, Towns Jr. etc) but I wouldn't be surprised to see him strike out. I think Michigan State has a down year.

Appling could be gone as well.

But they'll be good. Down a bit? Sure. But they'll be good. Valentine, Trice, Schilling, Ellis... could use a nice 2014 class. We shall see. McD's AA's haven't been so rare for Michigan State the last few years.

(PS - Towns = Kentucky commit long ago, I do believe..)

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 08:25:45 AM »
I'm already planning on going ... and trying to figure out if it's still possible to get to Anaheim this year!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2013, 08:31:00 AM »
For sure? It only helps, if we actually play them.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2013, 12:17:18 AM »
(PS - Towns = Kentucky commit long ago, I do believe..)

Whoops, seves me for doing my research too quickly
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2014, 12:40:30 PM »
Travel packages announced (ie accommodations once you're there)

https://www.anthonytravel.com/espn/orlando-classic/index.cfm

Gaylord Palms is the hotel (and ZFB's nickname at his fav Saturday night club)
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2014, 01:02:24 PM »
Nah, that's Rosie Palm, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2014, 04:21:46 PM »

Gaylord Palms is the hotel

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ksGzn5bRFzQ?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name=&quot;allowFullScreen&quot; value=&quot;true" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ksGzn5bRFzQ?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name=&quot;allowFullScreen&quot; value=&quot;true</a>

Death on call

feedback