Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New Conference so far not good for recruiting  (Read 45068 times)

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
New Conference so far not good for recruiting
« on: June 26, 2013, 08:25:21 AM »
From my source diamond stone is not thrilled about Marquette's new conference

And from another source

Ellenson is most likely headed to MN

GGGG

• All American
Re: New Conference so far not good for recruiting
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 08:50:04 AM »
You are kind of a "sky is falling" kind of guy aren't you?  The recruiting story has yet to be written for 2014 and 2015. 

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 08:57:15 AM »
Hmmmm....
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 09:00:15 AM »
What I personally find interesting is that last year during recruiting season our future was totally uncertain through the summer and in the run up to November signings.  If there was any year recruiting should have suffered, that would have been a good candidate.  Oh wait, 2013 was the best incoming class MU has had in about 40 years.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 09:25:26 AM »
What I personally find interesting is that last year during recruiting season our future was totally uncertain through the summer and in the run up to November signings.  If there was any year recruiting should have suffered, that would have been a good candidate.  Oh wait, 2013 was the best incoming class MU has had in about 40 years.

Very good point.

Sure our conference might not be as solid as it was 3-4 years ago recruiting wise, but we are in much better shape than a year ago when we had no idea where we'd be or what our conference would look like.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 09:37:35 AM »
You ever think that your "sources" are people that know how psycho you are about MU hoops and just wanna see you flip your lid over something completely unsubstantiated?

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 09:42:37 AM »
I call BS.

High School kids don't follow in who is in what conference.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 09:53:18 AM »
I call BS.

I suspect most highly sought recruits have a lot more knowledge of what teams are in what conference than you imply.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 09:58:43 AM »
If your supposition is true about Conference teams influencing decisions why would any kid pick Memphis, Gonzaga, Utah, etc.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 10:04:20 AM »
I call BS.

Oh, they know.  Very much so.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 10:24:18 AM »
The ground work was laid before the conference blew up.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 10:29:15 AM »
F-it.  Shut down the program.   Go to D3.   There is no future.   ::)
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 10:32:29 AM »
The ground work was laid before the conference blew up.

The conference blew up in the fall of 2011 when Pitt, Syracuse and West Virginia announced they'd be leaving.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 10:58:38 AM »
Oh, they know.  Very much so.

Then explain Memphis, Gonzaga, and UNLV.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 11:01:48 AM »
Hard to explain outliers.

Vegas is located near a hotbed of talent

Gonzaga recruits overseas/canadian/and under appreciated guys

Memphis: talent hot bed

muvanwilder

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 11:13:17 AM »
From my source diamond stone is not thrilled about Marquette's new conference

And from another source

Ellenson is most likely headed to MN
Let's be honest; I'm not thrilled about the new big east either. Did I prefer the original BEast? Obviously.
Its no longer the extreme powerhouse conference, However, I'm happy with the new conference. I feel it will be competitive with every conference out there, and time will tell.

icheights

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 11:24:21 AM »
If you believe kids don't recognize what conference a school is in and what competition it will bring then you are just plain ignorant.  Of course they do.  You don't think it was a draw to say you will play Syracuse?  You will play SJU at MSG?  You will get to play UConn and Pitt and Georgetown...those are kids dreams..to play against teams they have grown up watching..come on meow.

AND..

Memphis has a track record of being a hotbed of talent that sends tons of players to the NBA.  Lots of kids go early to the NBA from Memphis as well...a big draw for a kid who is putting the NBA 1 and school 2

Gonzaga does not get a ton of highly sought after talent from the states.  They recruit well internationally, play a lot of high majors pre-conference, and again have been sending plenty of talent to the NBA.

UNLV again has a storied history and also still sends a lot of kids to the NBA...and is 15 minutes from the strip.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 11:24:29 AM »
Im okay with it, but if 5 star players are going to look at UW over Marquette because of a conference than I think we are in trouble

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2013, 11:36:07 AM »
Memphis has a track record of being a hotbed of talent that sends tons of players to the NBA.  Lots of kids go early to the NBA from Memphis as well...a big draw for a kid who is putting the NBA 1 and school 2

Gonzaga does not get a ton of highly sought after talent from the states.  They recruit well internationally, play a lot of high majors pre-conference, and again have been sending plenty of talent to the NBA.

UNLV again has a storied history and also still sends a lot of kids to the NBA...and is 15 minutes from the strip.

Its amazing the low regard some of you have for Marquette's basketball program.  Marquette has one of the hottest coaches in Buzz, has sent multiple players to the NBA in the last few years, has facilities that compete with anyone and has a fairly storied history itself. 

Yes the new Big East is weaker.  Just because a RUMOR was heard saying that we are going to miss out on a highly regarded in state recruit doesn't mean that our program is in trouble.  Have you seen the list of names were still in on for 2014-2015?
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2013, 11:41:13 AM »
Im okay with it, but if 5 star players are going to look at UW over Marquette because of a conference than I think we are in trouble

I don't think it would be a killer, but it would hurt a lot. Miss out on both local Top 10 players? Very disappointing. Have 1 go to your in-state rival? Ouch.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2013, 11:44:58 AM »
I don't think it would be a killer, but it would hurt a lot. Miss out on both local Top 10 players? Very disappointing. Have 1 go to your in-state rival? Ouch.

As long as we keep beating Bucky and continue to go deep in the tourney I don't care where our players come from or what they are ranked out of high school.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2013, 11:48:25 AM »
Its amazing the low regard some of you have for Marquette's basketball program.  Marquette has one of the hottest coaches in Buzz, has sent multiple players to the NBA in the last few years, has facilities that compete with anyone and has a fairly storied history itself. 

Yes the new Big East is weaker.  Just because a RUMOR was heard saying that we are going to miss out on a highly regarded in state recruit doesn't mean that our program is in trouble.  Have you seen the list of names were still in on for 2014-2015?

Actually, I think a lot of people here have a very realistic view of MU. We love the school, but understand its limitations.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2013, 12:03:31 PM »
Gonzaga recruits overseas/canadian/and under appreciated guys

Not to mention, that when all is said and done, they really haven't done all that much in the NCAA tournament. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2013, 12:07:17 PM »

Not to mention, that when all is said and done, they really haven't done all that much in the NCAA tournament. 

Though better than Marquette over the past 20 years

Death on call

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2013, 12:10:06 PM »
Actually, I think a lot of people here have a very realistic view of MU. We love the school, but understand its limitations.

You'd swear we were demoted to CUSA again.  This is the first year of the new Big East, only time will tell if it has any affect on Marquette.  I feel that I also have a realistic view of Marquette.  Butler made it to two consecutive national championships, why not MU?  Who says you need a top 10 or 20 player to make it to the top, is there a blueprint I'm missing.

feedback