Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette has a new eagle  (Read 32884 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Marquette has a new eagle
« on: August 14, 2007, 06:23:06 PM »
A bit of a rehash from a month or so ago, but here's an article

http://onmilwaukee.com/sports/articles/newgoldeneagle.html

PuertoRicanNightmare

Re: Marquette has a new eagle
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 08:30:00 PM »
Why don't we just adopt a rainbow logo and be done with it.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 08:39:52 PM »
Why don't we just adopt a rainbow logo and be done with it.

why would we do that? or is this supposed to be some juvenile attempt at humor?
But I like to throw handfuls...

4everwarriors

• All American
I'm Never Going To...
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 08:49:09 PM »
to dig this nickname or mascot smack. Like putting whipped cream on crap. Its still crap.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
Re: I'm Never Going To...
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 08:55:12 PM »
to dig this nickname or mascot smack. Like putting whipped cream on crap. Its still crap.

Now that was funny.
But I like to throw handfuls...

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: I'm Never Going To...
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 09:06:37 PM »

A4NAT  :-*

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 10:46:34 PM »
Here's a picture of the New (and more mean looking) Eagle: LINK
SS Marquette

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 08:53:46 AM »
Personally I like anything that has to do with Golden Eagles...it is the only thing that brings Chicos & PRN together.  If one thing can join two men of such divergent minds, is it really that bad?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

snakesinthesnoilet

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 10:41:58 AM »
keep in mind that the MU monogram will still be the primary logo used on jerseys and merchandise so it's not like its going to be as widely used as the old eagle.  I don't really mind it considering the old eagle was insanely outdated and i never really got into it.  Then again I'm not planning on buying anything with this new eagle on it anytime soon so....

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 02:38:08 PM »
Its just good marketing.  Change the logo/emblem every couple of years to boost fanware sales.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 02:54:58 PM »
Its just good marketing.  Change the logo/emblem every couple of years to boost fanware sales.

Are you joking? The only reason to change a logo is if nobody likes it. Unfortunately for MU, they can change that thing all they want and they still won't sell anything.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 02:59:54 PM »
I wish MU would have just kept the new "MU" as it's only logo... but I guess a secondary eagle logo is fine. I'm not thrilled with it, but its fine.

To be honest, I wish MU would have just gone back to "Hilltoppers" and updated some of the old logos to make them more relevant. I think that would have been pretty cool and kept the traditions of MU alive.

Aww well...

Has anybody seen the new Converse gear yet? I know some people on this board have been to practices. Are they wearing converse gear or nike gear?

mu72warrior

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 04:34:17 PM »
The new logo, like the nickname itself, sucks turds through a straw! There, now I feel better! :o

MU Chi_IL

• Team Captain
  • Marquette is Solid Gold!
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 04:53:24 PM »
but it will help recruiting... ;D

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 08:22:40 AM »
I'm a Warriors guy, but I'm not nearly as violently anti-Golden Eagles as many on this board.  I'll admit to having one Golden Eagles hat with the old logo (it was a gift), but I never really liked that logo at all.  I do like the new Eagle much better, and would be willing to wear it if I found something I really liked.  I really like the MU logo, though, and would probably choose that over the new eagle logo.

All that said, I continue to be amazed by how inept Marquette is in marketing merchandise.  They sent out an e-mail to alumni earlier this week to announce the new logo.  The e-mail even mentioned that merchandise is available in stores and online (and provided a link).  But, when you go to the MU online store, good luck finding the merchandise.  After seeing the e-mail, you'd think that they'd be pretty well stocked up and would probably use merchandise with the new logo on the splash page, but you'd be wrong.  By my count, they have a grand total of 7 items in the online store with the new logo:  2 for infants; 4 for toddlers and one for a young girl (maybe that tells us something about how they view the new logo).

It's really hard to believe how badly Marquette has handled merchandising over the last few years.  I obviously disagree with some of the decisions they've made, but damn it, if you're going to make these types of decisions at least execute them well from a marketing standpoint.

In the last four years, Marquette has had three "events" that they could have used to connect with alums and market merchandise (which gets their name out there).  First, the Final Four; second the introduction of the new MU logo and now this new Eagle.  In the first two, I never received anything from Marquette in the mail offering merchandise.  Now they seem completely unprepared to roll out the new Eagle stuff.  I think this is inexcusable.  I still receive 2-3 full color catalogs (50-60 pages) from Notre Dame every year just because I bought my dad something from their store about 10 years ago.  Marquette sends nothing, even when they have significant events that would warrant a mailing.  They're missing great opportunities to sell merchandise on a regular basis.  I understand that a lot of people would never consider purchasing something with the new logo, but why not send a 12 page catalog with six pages of new stuff and six pages of non-Eagle merchandise?  I think people in other parts of the country who have a hard time finding MU gear would love it.  I know I would.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2007, 08:49:57 AM »
I think you're dead-on here. I wouldn't be surprised if a catalog is in the works. I think they've made some decent progress with the online stuff, but it's still just scratching the surface of what's available in the Spirit Shoppe.

I wonder if Chicos could tell us if Nelligan makes decisions on stuff like catalogs. Also, do you think Marquette just does what Nelligan wants us to do? Is our relationship with Nelligan part of our membership in the Big East?

One other thing...change the nickname and people would be clamoring for merchandise and they wouldn't have to bury our logo on clothes only a woman would buy (infants, toddlers and young girls).

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2007, 01:05:16 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if a catalog is in the works.

I would.  Nothing I've seen them do in the past even remotely suggests that they'll be this proactive in trying to sell merchandise.  No catalog after the final four and no catalog after the MU logo was introduced.  Two missed opportunities...why should this be any different.

One other thing...change the nickname and people would be clamoring for merchandise and they wouldn't have to bury our logo on clothes only a woman would buy (infants, toddlers and young girls).

I agree.  But, they probably wouldn't do any better getting a catalog out in that case, either.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2007, 02:36:33 PM »
I'd appreciate a catalog...then again, why would we need one if the Spirit Shop store was updated more frequently!

I bought this at the AMU store though it's not on the MU site:
[img]http://images.footballfanatics.com/productImages/_146000/altImages/FF_146879ALT1_xl.jpg[/img[]

But it IS sold here: Football Fanatics

What gives? I don't understand how other places are able to sell different/more MU goods (esp. Nike) than MU's site.

SS Marquette

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2007, 02:44:02 PM »

Eye

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2007, 06:40:30 PM »
Sorry gentlemen, but a wimpy chicken or a stronger chicken is still a chicken.
GO WARRIORS!

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2007, 08:38:07 PM »
it's a little weaksauce to not release both at the same time... what's this "gradual" business about anyway?  methinks it's lame.  I'm not really endeared to the latest "cartoon" to be released.  aren't cartoon mascots and real mascots supposed to resemble each other, too?  The UNC Tarheel comes to mind or Georgetown's Hoya.  What's the deal, MU??

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2007, 11:47:23 AM »
well the school year is beginning again and i just stopped by the spirit shop to find that the new eagle is on some of the apparel and other goods they have...what i have noticed is that the MU logo is used in almost all of the adult clothing while the new eagle only appears on childrens clothes and a few other things like pillows and water bottles.  just thought i'd share what I found

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2007, 06:00:09 AM »
That's so we can get a head start recruiting on the playgrounds of daycare facilities  ;D

ohannigan

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2007, 08:00:06 AM »
i think this might just be our favorite looney toons chicken hawk all grown up.

love it or hate it, it's our new logo.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 08:10:39 AM by mu_hilltopper »
OHannigan

thisists

• Starter
  • brew city bred
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2007, 04:10:57 AM »
aren't cartoon mascots and real mascots supposed to resemble each other, too? \

its a lot closer to the actual mascot than the athletic logo we are retiring.

feedback