'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: If Mayo comes back...  (Read 9507 times)

tower912

• All American
If Mayo comes back...
« on: November 30, 2012, 08:22:28 AM »
When he is ready, start him and Blue and bring Lockett off of the bench.   Trent and Jake can be the glue guys off of the bench when Mayo and Blue need a rest or get in foul trouble.    Trent is just not quick. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

hairy worthen

• All American
Re: If Mayo comes back...
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 08:33:13 AM »
I agree, but I am not convinced Mayo will be back.

I have not been impressed with Lockett at all. He seems to pass up easy passes and shots to force an ill advised drive to the basket. I really hope he improves. Maybe he just needs to feel more comfortable with the team around him. Right now he is a liability, at least as far as his play on the court.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 08:39:11 AM »
Or start Lockett, then pull him for Mayo after some time.  Mayo played pretty good coming off the bench.

He had a long stretch of games where he couldn't hit a shot, but turned it around at the end of the season.

But agree with premise, Lockett has not shown much yet this season.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 09:38:51 AM »
I hope Mayo is as good as you guys think.

I'm not so sure. Better than Lockett? I dunno.

With this said, Todd would be a nice piece to add, and certainly could fill a role on offense.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 09:45:37 AM »
What has anyone seen for Mayo that suggests he's goin' to provide whatever this team is missing?
Seriously, Buzz needs to recruit better players at all 5 positions. That'll be harder to do when the conference takes a powder.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 09:49:27 AM »
What has anyone seen for Mayo that suggests he's goin' to provide whatever this team is missing?
Seriously, Buzz needs to recruit better players at all 5 positions. That'll be harder to do when the conference takes a powder.

Now THAT'S and overreaction.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 09:55:45 AM »

With this said, Todd would be a nice piece to add, and certainly could fill a role on offense.

At least Mayo has an outside shot. I have seen very little of that from Lockett.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 10:05:23 AM »
At least Mayo has an outside shot. I have seen very little of that from Lockett.

You're right, but Mayo shot 33% from 3 on the season, and only 25% during conf. play.

He can help, but he's not Novak. Let's be realistic.

BTW, Lockett's career numbers are decent from 3, but he never seems to take many of them.

Maybe MU could play "small" and have Trent play a little of the Jae Crowder role?

gmhfordham1015

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 10:11:29 AM »

Maybe MU could play "small" and have Trent play a little of the Jae Crowder role?

Trent could never fill the role Jae played. Trent is shorter and no where near as strong as tough as Jae was. No question this could never happen.

jeffreyweee

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 10:15:07 AM »
Mayo is a great perimeter defender and play maker. Had he not hit that slump he probably shoots 38%-40% from three while being able to get to the rim and take pressure off of other players. He's not a savior or elite player (not yet at least) but he'd be a good help.

I'm not sure why Lockett isn't as good as advertised but he does look a couple steps slow and trying to force action.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 10:22:13 AM »
Even if he did return -- which he won't -- Mayo's no panacea for what ails this team.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 10:28:06 AM »
Mayo is a great perimeter defender and play maker. Had he not hit that slump he probably shoots 38%-40% from three while being able to get to the rim and take pressure off of other players. He's not a savior or elite player (not yet at least) but he'd be a good help.

I'm not sure why Lockett isn't as good as advertised but he does look a couple steps slow and trying to force action.

The only problem is that HE DID hit a slump.

He's a good player, no doubt, but let's set our expectations appropriately, right?

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 10:28:52 AM »

It probably comes from the fact that 90% of the people on this forum never saw him play at ASU.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 10:30:03 AM »
Do say how you know so definitively he won't return...

Even if he did return -- which he won't -- Mayo's no panacea for what ails this team.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 10:41:05 AM »
The only problem is that HE DID hit a slump.

He's a good player, no doubt, but let's set our expectations appropriately, right?

If Mayo doesn't return he'll become All Big East and a sure fire first round NBA draft pick.  A return by Todd will help, but he's not gonna take the team on his back.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 12:15:39 PM »
One positive about Todd is that at least he isn't hesitant/afraid to shoot the ball.  We have too many guys right now on offense that look like the last thing they want to do is shoot.  Don't know if that's due to coaching or if they are just waiting for someone else to step up, but we need guys to start shooting the damn ball if they are open.  Way too many pump fakes-1 or 2 dribbles-pass back to the perimeter-repeat for my taste.  Shoot the damn ball...these guys are all incredibly skilled or they wouldn't be here...time to show it.

JD

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 12:17:41 PM »
One positive about Todd is that at least he isn't hesitant/afraid to shoot the ball.  We have too many guys right now on offense that look like the last thing they want to do is shoot.  Don't know if that's due to coaching or if they are just waiting for someone else to step up, but we need guys to start shooting the damn ball if they are open.  Way too many pump fakes-1 or 2 dribbles-pass back to the perimeter-repeat for my taste.  Shoot the damn ball...these guys are all incredibly skilled or they wouldn't be here...time to show it.

Almost as if Bo Ryan was coaching last night... Ball must touch every player twice before shooting.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

Goose

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 01:01:59 PM »
We need him back badly. I agree that he is not afraid to shoot and create his own shot. Not overly confident that he will be back, but hoping for the best. He showed glimpses last year of being really good and we need really good badly at this moment.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 01:04:37 PM »

And had he been 7 feet tall and dominant, he would have been Kevin Durant.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2012, 01:32:06 PM »
We need him back badly. I agree that he is not afraid to shoot and create his own shot. Not overly confident that he will be back, but hoping for the best. He showed glimpses last year of being really good and we need really good badly at this moment.

+1

Fact is that this team needs more talent on the perimeter. Get back to a three guard offense with Cadougan, Mayo, and Blue. Our transition offense sucks this year. I like Trent a lot and I'm happy he's at MU but in my honest opinion he's not a very good fit out there.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2012, 02:59:35 PM »
+1

Fact is that this team needs more talent on the perimeter. Get back to a three guard offense with Cadougan, Mayo, and Blue. Our transition offense sucks this year. I like Trent a lot and I'm happy he's at MU but in my honest opinion he's not a very good fit out there.

The thing with Lockett is that he is an undersized forward.  He simply has not shown guard skills to-date.  Maybe its just a matter of fitting in...we shall see.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2012, 06:29:16 PM »
+1

Our transaction offense sucks, because our defense cannot create turnovers. What is wrong with this team is on the defensive side. Last year, because we had a chance to steal the ball we had a chance to comeback. This team has not shown me that they can do this.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2012, 07:58:02 PM »
I agree that our defense is limiting our ability to score quick points. We are not getting the transition buckets and that is hurting a lot. If our pressure does not improve we will continue to struggle scoring points. I would play the most athletic guys as much as possible and roll the dice.

unforgiven

• Starter
  • Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2012, 08:01:25 PM »

Better than Lockett? Yes.
"Times are tough. And people are gonna be drinkin' themselves some booze."     Willie, A Raisin In The Sun

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2012, 08:11:19 PM »
Better than Lockett? Yes.

Seriously? Lockett hasn't been great, but has a pretty impressive body of work... so I assume he will end up with similar performance.

Mayo showed some flashes as a frosh., but was very inconsistent.

If Mayo comes back, I guess we are going to find out who is better.

feedback