[Today at 03:33:12 PM]

Going Portaling: Which Portal Prospect do you want and why? by Zog from Margo
[Today at 02:47:50 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by MUbiz
[Today at 12:32:43 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 10:25:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Out for Embiid  (Read 21731 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Out for Embiid
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2012, 07:29:33 AM »
Lots of handlers when you get into playing with the big boys, some squirmy per the NCAA.  His AAU is Adidas, so my guess Kansas wins out...although FL has local pull.  Greene from his AAU team is already a KU commit.  Was MU in because of the Mbah Moute tie only...but as his potential developed, the big boys swarmed in?  Either way, good luck to the kid...it will be fun to see how he develops as he still isn't a Top 100 rated.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-07-05/sports/os-hs-florida-rams-banned-from-aau-20120705_1_ncaa-staffers-current-nba-players-ohio-state

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2012, 07:30:56 AM »
Lame...any targets we may be in on for 2013?  Does anyone think we're done for '13?

With 5 recruits already committed for next year, I would like to see Buzz save the schollie unless he can get in on someone that is exceptionally good.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2012, 07:33:23 AM »
With 5 recruits already committed for next year, I would like to see Buzz save the schollie unless he can get in on someone that is exceptionally good.

There is no schollie to save as of right now, though.  We're one over if Otule comes back and all full if he doesn't. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2012, 08:00:00 AM »
Yup. Dude's got lotto potential and I'd be shocked if he was still in college after 2 years.

I'll take a piece of that action.

The kid is good, but the odds of a player leaving after 2 years is EXTREMELY slim.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2012, 08:29:47 AM »
I am really surprised by this. I heard he had great visit last weekend. Very, very disappointing news.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2012, 08:43:13 AM »
There is no schollie to save as of right now, though.  We're one over if Otule comes back and all full if he doesn't. 

Can we stop with the "if" with Otule. The only reason it was brought up was to justify the oversigning. We should be begging Otule to stay for his 6th year, the guy is highly undervalued on this board. Not many 7 footers with his skill set that have attended MU in the last 20 years. He was very good last year before being injured. If he leaves MU will be left with Gardner and a bunch of 3/4s.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2012, 08:45:29 AM »
Mr. Embiid, best of luck on your college choice.   Buzz, keep recruiting.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2012, 08:49:06 AM »
Can we stop with the "if" with Otule.

Otule is the one that was saying, "if I choose to play a 6th year."

I would love for him to stay, but he's definitely still in 'if' territory.

MU_Beav

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2012, 08:52:15 AM »
Mr. Embiid, best of luck on your college choice.   Buzz, keep recruiting.   

Yep.  When you have 3 of the top 65 players for the class of 2013 coming in, plus a first team Juco All-American, you're ahead of the game.  If Buzz hits the road, I can't imagine it will have anything to do with missing on this class.  I'm giddy.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2012, 08:59:11 AM »
Otule and Gardner can be back next year, so Buzz can sell 1 or 2 players the opportunity to start right away, that can be a big selling point.  He has a whole year to find one, I am sure
he will.  He has alot to over, he will need to sign 2 bigs next year.  I am confident he can find one.  I am sure a JC kid would love to fit into this situation.

C  Taylor
F  McKay
F  burton
G  Wilson
G  Johnson

Can still play with that group and be good!  Really good.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2012, 09:12:58 AM »
Otule and Gardner can be back next year, so Buzz can sell 1 or 2 players the opportunity to start right away, that can be a big selling point.  He has a whole year to find one, I am sure
he will.  He has alot to over, he will need to sign 2 bigs next year.  I am confident he can find one.  I am sure a JC kid would love to fit into this situation.

C  Taylor
F  McKay
F  burton
G  Wilson
G  Johnson

Can still play with that group and be good!  Really good.

My thoughts exactly.  Would love to see Otule choose to return for another year of the two headed monster with Gardner, then hand over the reigns to the #1 JUCO center flanked by McKay & Taylor with studs at the 1-3.  It's almost set up too perfectly.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2012, 09:15:50 AM »
I'll take a piece of that action.

The kid is good, but the odds of a player leaving after 2 years is EXTREMELY slim.

Sure why not.  As long as he gets the requisite PT, he's got the frame, skill set and upside that screams NBA early entry (to me anyway).   What are the terms of this friendly wager?

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2012, 09:19:05 AM »
Really, really, really unfortunate news.  I was certain that we'd make the Top 3, but as a few have already said, at least the heart break is now.

One less person to follow on Twitter.  JoJo...never knew you.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2012, 09:20:00 AM »
Can we stop with the "if" with Otule. The only reason it was brought up was to justify the oversigning. We should be begging Otule to stay for his 6th year, the guy is highly undervalued on this board. Not many 7 footers with his skill set that have attended MU in the last 20 years. He was very good last year before being injured. If he leaves MU will be left with Gardner and a bunch of 3/4s.

<-------------------  Look over here and scroll up, right above the standings.  See that "1" next to Otule's name?  I can't wait to see a "10" next to it in late-February, mostly because that will mean I'm looking at airfares to Atlanta, but partly just to see the conversation pull a 1260 and go from "if Otule stays" to "when the NCAA will confirm his 6th."
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2012, 09:24:18 AM »
Really?

Yes, I really HOPE it's not.  I don't THINK it will be, as I said I'm sure Buzz will pull an under the radar rabbit out of the hat per usual.  'Twas a valiant effort though.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2012, 09:24:51 AM »
It's too bad that 2014 is such a thin year for centers. I would love to see us land Cliff Alexander, but I think his stock has probably risen too high. Khadeem Lattin may be a legitimate option to start from day one. We can offer a starting role from day one that year, and with the talent on that team we could be a legit NC contender from day one, so maybe we can land someone that year, but it'll be tough.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2012, 09:34:21 AM »
I've been over this roller coaster enough to know that you can't get too excited about these guys at this stage.  When we are competing in a group that includes Florida, Kansas and Texas, we are clearly the outlier in a variety of ways.  Maybe that works in our favor in some cases, but it makes me think that he wasn't really looking for the type of experience Marquette has to offer.  The M-a-M (can I do that?) connection seemed to be the best thing we had going.  Even there, M-a-M's comments seemed more along the lines of trying to find the right fit and the best opportunity for Embiid rather than making a push to get him to Marquette.

My one question is that I thought Texas had been taken out of consideration on both sides.  Did I hear that wrong, or how did they get back in the mix?  Because if he eliminated UT and then visited Marq, and after that visit eliminated Marq and reinstated UT in his top 3, that would be a bit strange and doesn't look great for us.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2012, 09:35:13 AM »
Sure why not.  As long as he gets the requisite PT, he's got the frame, skill set and upside that screams NBA early entry (to me anyway).   What are the terms of this friendly wager?

Well, what does "requite PT" mean?

Are you talking about injury, or if he doesn't earn enough PT?

The bet can be stupid/friendly. I'm not trying to humiliate anybody, I just think predicting a 2-and-done for this kid is overshooting the mark by quite a bit. A tiny percentage of players make the NBA, and even less are able to do it after 2 years.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2012, 09:47:15 AM »

What you're seeing is a natural avoidance to what everyone knows is the truth:  Whoever averages 4 mpg, 0.4 ppg this year will transfer. Either that or one of our incoming recruits will have an unimpressive senior year and will not enrol.

Every single person on this board knows the identity of those most likely to not be on the 13-14 roster--they just don't want to talk about it. 

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2012, 09:49:04 AM »
Otule is the one that was saying, "if I choose to play a 6th year."

I would love for him to stay, but he's definitely still in 'if' territory.

Really? I have not seen that. Link?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2012, 09:59:29 AM »
What you're seeing is a natural avoidance to what everyone knows is the truth:  Whoever averages 4 mpg, 0.4 ppg this year will transfer. Either that or one of our incoming recruits will have an unimpressive senior year and will not enrol.

Every single person on this board knows the identity of those most likely to not be on the 13-14 roster--they just don't want to talk about it.

The identity of the person I think is most likely to not be on the 13-14 roster is not someone that will average 4 mpg or 0.4 ppg. I'd be welling to put a sizable bet that it's someone most people wish would average 25 mpg and 10+ ppg (and definitely has the ability right now to do both).
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2012, 10:01:43 AM »
Really? I have not seen that. Link?

"I have it available," Otule said. "I can choose to use it. I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm just going to play it out. It is there if I want it. I'm just going to play it out, day by day."

http://m.jsonline.com/more/sports/175100871.htm

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2012, 10:16:50 AM »

I think you are 100% right...

BUT... what's the point in identifying those players? We don't need to pile on those guys.

I'd hate if this board started predicting who is going to suck instead of who is going to be a standout.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2012, 10:17:02 AM »

Or maybe they don't feel that it's fair to the guys involved to talk about it.  We're talking about late teen/ early 20's guys who are on top of the world being a part of a very good Division 1 team suddenly seeing people speculate where everyone can see about whether they will be the ones to fail and then move on or get jettisoned.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2012, 10:52:24 AM »

Let's examine how the truth that you claim everybody knows regarding transfers meshes with the facts. By my count 7 players have transferred under Buzz. One (McMorrow) due to illness, one (Hazel) due to bad behaivor, two (Maymon and Smith) who were playing but didn't like/fit in with the program and three (Mbao, Williams and Jones) due to playing time/lack of production. That's less than half, and two of those three reportedly also had other issues.

Maybe it's better just to let the season play out and see what happens rather than speculate on stuff that "everybody knows" but that isn't necessarily true.