[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Out for Embiid  (Read 21762 times)

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
Out for Embiid
« on: November 07, 2012, 07:03:52 PM »
Joel Hans Embiid ‏@jojo_embiid
Finally down to 3 Florida, kansas and Texas

Can't blame him... that's a nice list to have.

Should be fine in 2013... 2014 starting spot open at the C... I guess right now it would be McKay by default.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 07:08:20 PM by dw3dw3dw3 »

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: Out for Embiid
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 07:05:26 PM »
Well damn...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 07:06:47 PM »
WELL FAWKKKKKK

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 07:07:28 PM »
Good luck to Embiid. Hope he chooses Kansas.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 07:27:44 PM »
Best wishes Joel.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 07:40:59 PM »
This is one of the toughest recruiting losses I can remember. With the last visit, Mbah a Moute, and the other schools focused on Julius Randle and Dakari Johnson, I really felt we had a decent shot with this guy. I can't remember wanting a recruit more than Embiid that I felt we had a real shot with (Quincy Miller was always a bit of a pipe dream) in the past few years. I really hope this doesn't hurt our odds with Diamond Stone. Buzz had a chance to show what he could do with an elite center prospect, now it will still be a crapshoot.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 07:43:27 PM »
He was probably told about Buzz-cutting
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 07:54:48 PM »
DAMMIT!!

nyg

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 07:58:10 PM »
I guess Florida, since he goes to school in Gainesville. 

Looney is now the all out effort and a perfect fit for J. Wilson's spot. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 08:04:47 PM »
I've already written off Looney. We may have an outside shot at Alexander, but Paul White and Keita Bates-Diop are the two realistic guys at the top of my 2014 wish list.

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 08:23:24 PM »
Really crushed on this one. Can't blame him though. If he wants to play in the NBA, MU isn't his best option (at least compared to the others). MU hasn't put a big in the NBA in at least 20 years. It'd be asking a lot of the kid to come here and be a guinea pig as to how Buzz would use an elite big when he can pretty much be guaranteed a first rounder in 2-3 years with a little work at one of the other schools. I'll be an Embiid fan wherever he goes but that doesn't mean this isn't soul crushing news (for me anyway )that we just got less than 48 hours before tip off when we should be getting excited for the first game.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 08:31:36 PM »
Really crushed on this one. Can't blame him though. If he wants to play in the NBA, MU isn't his best option (at least compared to the others). MU hasn't put a big in the NBA in at least 20 years. It'd be asking a lot of the kid to come here and be a guinea pig as to how Buzz would use an elite big when he can pretty much be guaranteed a first rounder in 2-3 years with a little work at one of the other schools. I'll be an Embiid fan wherever he goes but that doesn't mean this isn't soul crushing news (for me anyway )that we just got less than 48 hours before tip off when we should be getting excited for the first game.

For what it's worth, Amal McCaskill was drafted to the NBA 16 years ago. Granted, he didn't have the most prolific career, and the rest of your point is spot on, but yeah...really wish he had waited until after the Carrier Classic, as I feel that is the type of event to showcase us nicely. Oh well...at least this should end all the oversigning complaints  :-\

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 08:51:31 PM »
For some reason I thought we had a real shot. Obviously I was wrong, but it still stings.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 09:15:50 PM »
The only things keeping me off the ledge are

a.) We just got Jajuan Johnson

and

b.) After losing out on Dieng we got Gardner in the spring (iirc)

<starts hyperventilating>

Thinkhappythoughtsgotoyourhappyplacethinkhappythoughtsgotoyourhappyplace

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 09:39:13 PM »

Crushed? Soul-crushing? Really?

Your very soul has been crushed because a teenager decided to play basketball elsewhere? Wow.
β€œIt’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2012, 10:08:48 PM »
Disappointed, but I'm glad it happened this week rather than being let down next week at the last second (remember Tarik Black).

Can't begin to imagine what it will feel like if we miss out on both Looney and Stone...
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2012, 10:11:43 PM »

Your very soul has been crushed because a teenager decided to play basketball elsewhere? Wow.

Well, I was speaking relative to MU basketball but I guess when you put it in perspective it really isn't all that "crushing" in the greater scheme of things. The reason it's such a disappointment though is because of how hard the staff worked to get Embiid and what it would have meant to the program to sign him. I honestly think Embiid could have been a program elevator and he could have help set the foundation for future top big man recruits to come to MU. MU will have another chance at getting one of the bigs from Illinois in 2014 and Stone in 15 but I felt Buzz was so close to the top of the hill with this one only to fall all the way down to the bottom.

On the positive side though, I think this looks good for Otule returning for a 6th year.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 10:31:58 PM by MARQ_13 »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2012, 10:12:32 PM »

Can't begin to imagine what it will feel like if we miss out on both Looney and Stone...

Prepare yourself now for the butthurt.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2012, 10:16:01 PM »

Buddhists consider the soul to be illusory... illusions are easy to crush.

I wasn't sure we'd get him, but I was convinced we'd be in the final five.  I was wrong.  He's gone for the three biggest names, its what almost all of us would do in the same situation.  Texas was a real surprise for me.  That's where playing time will be toughest as they will have too highly rated centers a year ahead of him.  Kansas is a very long and tough tradition to recruit against.  Florida needs him the most, and its from the area he's had an opportunity to get comfortable in.  I'm betting on them.

Good luck Joel.  Develop fast and get to the NBA before we have to meet you in the NCAA tournament.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 10:18:34 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2012, 10:22:04 PM »
Well, I was speaking relative to MU basketball but I guess when you put it in perspective it really isn't all that "crushing" in the greater scheme of things. The reason it's such a disappointment though is because of how hard the staff worked to get Embiid and what it would have meant to the program to sign him. I honestly think Embiid could have been a program elevator and he could have help set the foundation for future top big man recruits to come to MU. MU will have another chance at getting one of the bigs from Illinois in 2014 and Stone in 15 but I felt Buzz was so close to the top of the hill with one only to fall all the way down to the bottom.

Yup. Dude's got lotto potential and I'd be shocked if he was still in college after 2 years. Would have thrived in Buzz' system but then again that's a given wherever he goes. Just wish he would have waited til after the summer to blow up so that we were his best offer. That's what we have to bank on to get the big man train rolling. Oh well, I don't doubt Buzz has some under the radar rabbit he'll pull out of the hat. Just feel bad for him after all the work he clearly put into this recruitment. Hope this isn't another Shumpert that broke the camel's back.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2012, 10:59:34 PM »
Yup. Dude's got lotto potential and I'd be shocked if he was still in college after 2 years. Would have thrived in Buzz' system but then again that's a given wherever he goes. Just wish he would have waited til after the summer to blow up so that we were his best offer. That's what we have to bank on to get the big man train rolling. Oh well, I don't doubt Buzz has some under the radar rabbit he'll pull out of the hat. Just feel bad for him after all the work he clearly put into this recruitment. Hope this isn't another Shumpert that broke the camel's back.

Really?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2012, 11:55:22 PM »

...and Ellenson. My biggest worry is that losing Embiid may inadvertently cost us out shot with either Stone or Ellenson.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2012, 04:59:01 AM »
Correction:

That's a jackass, not a camel.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2012, 06:46:15 AM »
Bummer. I wish Joel the best. Buzz will find someone else.

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2012, 07:08:08 AM »
Lame...any targets we may be in on for 2013?  Does anyone think we're done for '13?

feedback