[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: What was up with Lockett?  (Read 12632 times)

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
What was up with Lockett?
« on: October 27, 2012, 09:49:59 AM »
According to the last post he scored 0 points and was guarded by Jake Thomas?

I was looking for big things this year from him but it sounds like he might be the last guy off the bench.  

rocky's edit: Changed the title, Kenosha - tone it down a bit
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 11:16:49 AM by rocky_warrior »

MUfan12

• All American
Re: Did we waste a scholarship on Lockett?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 09:50:39 AM »

I was looking for big things this year from him but it sounds like he might be the last guy off the bench. 

Might cost us a seed in March.

awilhelmscream

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 09:51:41 AM »

Absolutely, I mean if he can't score in a meaningless scrimmage how can we expect him to score in a real game ::)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 09:54:34 AM »

LOL
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 10:02:04 AM »
Lots of people forgetting to use teal these days.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 10:02:56 AM »
Absolutely, I mean if he can't score in a meaningless scrimmage how can we expect him to score in a real game ::)

Yes it might mean nothing, but Lockett should have been able to score on Thomas wearing Penny Loafers

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 10:16:58 AM »
Yes it might mean nothing, but Lockett should have been able to score on Thomas wearing Penny Loafers
i heard that was the problem...he didn't have his penny loafers with him.

my guess is lockett is moved to a player manager role, and jake becomes our premier deffensive stopper. 

awilhelmscream

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 10:17:16 AM »

You seem to forget that Jake Thomas is also a D1 athlete.  People have been reporting all offseason that Thomas is horribly underrated as an athlete and could push for legitimate playing time.  Also, didn't they just finish with boot camp?  I'd imagine they're all pretty drained physically and mentally.  I really don't understand what the big issue is...

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 10:26:10 AM »
when did scoop start acquiring such obvious trolls? this guy is annoying, to say the least

statnik

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 10:35:53 AM »

He scored 0 points in the first scrimmage on three shots, then scored 6 points in the second one on 2-2.  That's way too small of a sample size to conclude anything, not to mention the fact it was a scrimmage.  Having seen Thomas play, I can vouch that he was more well-rounded than popular convention would have you believe.  He averaged almost 5 rebounds at South Dakota, and has a solid defensive game, and gets to the basket better than I expected based on his play in the summer pro-am.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 10:58:07 AM »
You seem to forget that Jake Thomas is also a D1 athlete.  People have been reporting all offseason that Thomas is horribly underrated as an athlete and could push for legitimate playing time.  Also, didn't they just finish with boot camp?  I'd imagine they're all pretty drained physically and mentally.  I really don't understand what the big issue is...

Not to mention that he was a good enough athlete to win the pro-am MVP and the dunk contest.  Thomas may not get a ton of playing time, but it won't be because he is not athletic.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 11:08:01 AM »
A few years back we'd have maybe 4 good to great players. Maybe 3. And no size. So a couple of players would really shine at a scrimmage. Lockett would have shined a few yesrs back. Now there is so much talent, size and length that you don't see a guy go off. Lockett will be fine. He looked a little tentative and didn't take bad shots he could have. That is a good sign. No forces just to get shots up. He is still fitting in.

Blue's shot is re-worked. No longer a set push shot. He could have a big year. JWilson is going to be a stud. He can shoot it. The freshman Taylor is a big guy. He will play.

I think we will be ok from outside. Players like DWilson and Blue look like they really worked on their shots.

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: What was up with Lockett?
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 11:30:29 AM »
Let's get Spike Lee right this.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 11:35:49 AM »
He scored 0 points in the first scrimmage on three shots, then scored 6 points in the second one on 2-2.  That's way too small of a sample size to conclude anything, not to mention the fact it was a scrimmage.  Having seen Thomas play, I can vouch that he was more well-rounded than popular convention would have you believe.  He averaged almost 5 rebounds at South Dakota, and has a solid defensive game, and gets to the basket better than I expected based on his play in the summer pro-am.
doing the math...i believe he will either score zero points or 20 points in games played this year.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 11:36:40 AM »

rocky's edit: Changed the title, Kenosha - tone it down a bit

Talk about power...you can edit any post at any time you want?  Crazy!  No wonder I can't find any of my original posts...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2012, 02:36:39 PM »
This guy is a troll. He used to humor me but....that ship has sailed

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2012, 03:25:07 PM »

Blue's shot is re-worked. No longer a set push shot.

I disagree with this completely. Same shot. His body still rotates 60* to the left on each long range shot. Clanged some free throws--then made some. We all know he can go 3-3 or 1-7 from long distance. Same with finishing--he needs to find a way for those layups to go in more often.....still.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 03:31:45 PM »
Blue looked a lot better. Sure, he missed the first two FTs, but don't forget he was our best free throw shooter from January on last year. No reason to think he isn't still. His three is improved. He still pushes it a bit, but his release point is better. On all of his made threes, he was releasing at the height of his jump, which is an improvement over his previous erratic releases. He does need to work on finishing in traffic, but I liked that even when he was missing, his eyes were staying on target. He's not just throwing it up and praying, he has an idea in mind of what he wants to do.

awilhelmscream

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 03:49:32 PM »
Blue looked a lot better. Sure, he missed the first two FTs, but don't forget he was our best free throw shooter from January on last year. No reason to think he isn't still. His three is improved. He still pushes it a bit, but his release point is better. On all of his made threes, he was releasing at the height of his jump, which is an improvement over his previous erratic releases. He does need to work on finishing in traffic, but I liked that even when he was missing, his eyes were staying on target. He's not just throwing it up and praying, he has an idea in mind of what he wants to do.

I can really appreciate his trying to improve instead of being happy getting by on his natural athleticism.  Hopefully he's primed for a bit of a breakout season and all he really needs for that is a jumper that he can hit with some consistency so opposing teams can't just pack the lane.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 04:12:40 PM »
I can really appreciate his trying to improve instead of being happy getting by on his natural athleticism.  Hopefully he's primed for a bit of a breakout season and all he really needs for that is a jumper that he can hit with some consistency so opposing teams can't just pack the lane.

Pack the lane? He hasn't show the ability to finish either. I know everyone on this board wants him to be a 5 star player and a NBA player but he isn't. He's great in scrimmages and vs. lesser competition when fast break opportunities are plentiful...when conference season starts he'll average 7-10 points, grab some rebounds an play solid defense. I'm already preparing myself for the "blue has taken the next step" threads when we play Colgate and SE LA. I didn't see the original thread or title and I know its a small sample size but Lockett not having an impact is a little concerning. Who is going to pick up the perimeter scoring? Blue, Coudagan cannot shoot 3s, this will be an issue.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2012, 04:27:01 PM »
Pack the lane? He hasn't show the ability to finish either. I know everyone on this board wants him to be a 5 star player and a NBA player but he isn't. He's great in scrimmages and vs. lesser competition when fast break opportunities are plentiful...when conference season starts he'll average 7-10 points, grab some rebounds an play solid defense. I'm already preparing myself for the "blue has taken the next step" threads when we play Colgate and SE LA. I didn't see the original thread or title and I know its a small sample size but Lockett not having an impact is a little concerning. Who is going to pick up the perimeter scoring? Blue, Coudagan cannot shoot 3s, this will be an issue.

Just so we're clear:

Blue's good performance doesn't mean anything, but Lockett's poor performance (in the same scrimmage) is concerning.

Got it.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2012, 04:34:43 PM »
Anyone that tries to deny the improvement of Blue's previously woeful free throw shooting is a complete and utter moron. As a freshman he shot 60.8% from the line. The first 21 games of last year he hit 61.2% from the line. Then he began to scorch the nets from the line. He hit 81.5% of his free throws from the 'Nova game on when he went 4/4 in the final 0:33 to ice the game.

You can hate the kid all you like, but he has already proven he's willing to work to improve, and the improvement is tangible. No, he's not a finished product, but those clutch free throws he was hitting weren't meaningless, he iced the 'Nova, WVU, and Murray State games. He's not all-Big East yet, but he's a much better player than he was when he arrived, and he will likely continue to improve for the next two seasons.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2012, 04:37:34 PM »
I don't need him to be a five star future NBA player.  It would simply be nice if this board could access his game fairly.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2012, 04:41:03 PM »
Maybe Buzz should jettison Lockett right now if Embiid commits on his visit.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2012, 04:43:17 PM »
Maybe Buzz should jettison Lockett right now if Embiid commits on his visit.

I see what you did there ;)