[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: JP Tokoto  (Read 22858 times)

JD

• All American
Re: JP Tokoto
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2012, 03:00:12 PM »
Just for Bee Jay, nobody else look please....

Mod edit: JDuquaine, no need for a pic - it was just a joke.  I'm helping you here.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 08:38:00 AM by rocky_warrior »
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2012, 04:09:16 PM »
If JPT left UNC for MU would this qualify as a reverse Hiroshima? 

National Champs

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2012, 04:10:30 PM »

Amihsorih?
We Are Elite

The Process

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2012, 06:24:10 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/zZcZ6eJoxeE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/zZcZ6eJoxeE</a>
Relax. Respect the Process.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2012, 07:21:38 PM »
I said when he picked UNC that Wisconsin was always going to be second but never first. If he transfers, I'm sure it won't be until after his freshman year, and he won't go to Wisconsin. Everything about the way they play is the opposite of what he said he wanted.

Regardless, I definitely wouldn't be posting pics, JD. While it's a constant joke on this and other sites, it's not exactly in good taste, especially if you want to stay in the good graces of said girl.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2012, 08:11:28 PM »
I said when he picked UNC that Wisconsin was always going to be second but never first. If he transfers, I'm sure it won't be until after his freshman year, and he won't go to Wisconsin. Everything about the way they play is the opposite of what he said he wanted.

Regardless, I definitely wouldn't be posting pics, JD. While it's a constant joke on this and other sites, it's not exactly in good taste, especially if you want to stay in the good graces of said girl.

+1.  first time the request has been granted=little creepy, pushing squirmy.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2012, 11:12:05 PM »
ZFB is just salty cause his wife is in the pic with the girl
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2012, 08:14:07 AM »

Agreed then and now. He was showing respect to Bo and appeasing UW fans but he was never going there. He didn't want to play at that pace/in that system.

OnWisconsin

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2012, 01:26:44 PM »
Not trying to flame or anything like that, but JP isn't going anywhere. He's a great fit at UNC, they won't be able to keep that kind of athletiscm off the court. If he proves he can consistently hit jumpers, he'll go pro early.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2012, 01:33:45 PM »
Not trying to flame or anything like that, but JP isn't going anywhere. He's a great fit at UNC, they won't be able to keep that kind of athletiscm off the court. If he proves he can consistently hit jumpers, he'll go pro early.

I feel like this whole thread sounds like it results from a version of the game "telephone."

Miller tell JP that Buzz told him to keep playing ball.

JP: That's cool. Buzz is the type of coach I'd like to play for.
Miller: JP wants to play for Buzz.
Sister: JP plans to transfer to MU.
MUScoop: Tokoto to Marquette!

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2012, 01:49:48 PM »
in my mind, i thought he chose unc cuz williams was on him and it was sexy.  but after all the excitement dies down, i believe he regrets that a little.  he always said he would have preferred to play close to home...unc??  maybe if ya have your own plane.  i think mu would have been the perfect fir for his style and  friends and family can pee there way to the bc or whatever it's called now

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2012, 02:08:40 PM »

Not saying he'll transfer, but it would be surprising if Tokoto got meaningful minutes right away.  Even with Barnes, Henson and Zeller gone UNC has a lot of frontcourt talent coming back.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2012, 02:09:14 PM »
My thought would be if he plays, IE top 7-8 on the rotation, he will be very happy, but like most kids if he does not and went farther away from home for school  he will not.  IMO.

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2012, 02:18:52 PM »
I'm gonna guess he didn't commit to North Carolina and then get on campus and say, "Whoa, there's other top-100 talent here and I won't be guaranteed a starting/major role right away?"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2012, 02:26:52 PM »
Everyone who thinks he needs to be a starter or top 7 in the rotation to get meaningful minutes does not understand the system Roy Williams runs.  They run, and then they run, and then they run some more.  They start 5 stars and then they sub in 5 more stars and they continue to run and push the tempo as much as they can.  Even if you are the best player in the country, you are not going to see over 32 minutes per game for Roy, and even if you are a "role" player, you will still see over 15 minutes per game.

Not to mention, with all that UNC lost, I would be very surprised if he's not one of their top 8 players.  His pure athleticism will get him on the court.  He may be the most athletic recruit in the nation.  We'll see if he made the right choice in terms of developing into more than an athlete.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2012, 02:32:15 PM »
last year they had 8 guys that played 13+mins PG and the 9th guy avg 7 mins and 1 pt. 

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2012, 03:01:57 PM »
Considering ESPN has Tokoto as the fourth best freshman they have coming in, top 7-8 would be very good.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2012, 03:56:02 PM »
I'm gonna guess he didn't commit to North Carolina and then get on campus and say, "Whoa, there's other top-100 talent here and I won't be guaranteed a starting/major role right away?"

You should probably contact a couple of his friends' sisters to see if that's true.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2012, 04:10:02 PM »
last year they had 8 guys that played 13+mins PG and the 9th guy avg 7 mins and 1 pt. 

Stupid facts getting in the way of other guys North Carolina breakdown.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2012, 06:34:28 AM »

Stupid facts getting in the way of other guys North Carolina breakdown.

That'll happen when a starter and a 6th man are out for the year due to season ending injuries, depth becomes an issue. That'd put them at 10 guys with over 13 mpg. That's quite a few fits with solid minutes.

But hey, let's not let those fact things get in the way of reasoning why a guy who didn't choose our school won't make it at the 1 he did choose.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 06:36:19 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2012, 07:58:04 AM »
But hey, let's not let those fact things get in the way of reasoning why a guy who didn't choose our school won't make it at the 1 he did choose.

Yeah, I have never quite understood the whole "he's not good enough to play at <insert school>, but he should come here where there is plenty of time available" line of thinking.

Are we trying to build a title contender or not?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2012, 08:47:50 AM »

Yeah, I have never quite understood the whole "he's not good enough to play at <insert school>, but he should come here where there is plenty of time available" line of thinking.

Are we trying to build a title contender or not?

People forget that Jamil Wilson's transfer wasn't because he couldn't cut it at Oregon - although his playing time was cut back toward the end of the year - the reason he transferred was that the head coach who recruited him, Ernie Kent, was fired.  (And maybe because Oregon was having a heck of a time hiring Kent's replacement).
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 08:49:33 AM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2012, 09:10:06 AM »
This is how I see this year for Tokoto at UNC.  Marcus Paige, Dexter Strickland, Reggie Bullock, Leslie McDonald, James McAdoo, Joel James, PJ Hairston and Brice Johnson are all probably ahead of Tokoto in the rotation if they played today.  So he will see the floor but is currently probably ninth.  Obviously a lot can change, there will be injuries and they are relying on some freshman who are very talented but unproven. 

Tokoto is clearly a great athlete with significant upside and is the type of player that can succeed in UNC's system.  But to think his athleticism alone automatically means he will get a lot of action THIS YEAR on that roster is a bit crazy.  He needs to be able to hit jumpers on a more consistent basis, tighten up his handle, and put in some serious work in the weight room.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2012, 04:50:28 PM »
Tokoto will play if he has developed a perimeter game.  He didn't complete this by the end of his HS career(although he had made some progress). 

If he is the same player this year as he was last, he will be at MU for his last 3 years.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2012, 05:02:31 PM »

I expect JP to stay at UNC, but thinking that he'll declare early at this point is ludicrous. Kid isn't a top-5 prospect anymore. He's not even top-50. He was an athletic HS player that struggled to do the little things that differentiate the McDonald's All-Americans from the rest of the country. I loved his game at Falls, and truly wish him the best, but at this point, he doesn't project as a NBA player period, much less an early-entrant. He's got a lot of work to do to get to the former, much less the latter.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback