[Today at 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[Today at 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 12:46:07 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Henry Ellenson  (Read 25800 times)

GoldenEagleExchange

• Walk-On
Henry Ellenson
« on: August 16, 2012, 12:30:18 PM »
If MU can't land Stone, I would love to land this kid from Rice Lake. Ranked 23 in the 2015 class.

http://midwestballers.com/?p=2100

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/143158/henry-ellenson

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
Re: Henry Ellenson
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 12:33:40 PM »
If MU can't land Stone, I would love to land this kid from Rice Lake. Ranked 23 in the 2015 class.

http://midwestballers.com/?p=2100

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/143158/henry-ellenson
Well...he's big.  Doesn't look like he could jump over a piece of paper, but he's big. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 12:37:08 PM »
His brother is going to Minnesota and is quite an athlete...I think he was the state high jump champion this past year.  His dad played at MU (I believe under Majerus) before transferring to UW.

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 12:37:47 PM »
That's as close to a Davante Gardner clone as I've ever seen in a recruit video. Don't know whether that means MU should go after him, but I pictured Davante doing every one of those moves (the 3-pointer and through-the-legs dribbling in the Pro-Am, similar to this kid doing it in AAU).

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 12:40:05 PM »
He looks good.   Sophomore to be, so keep that in mind when judging him.  If he makes a decent progression over the next couple of years, then yes, he would be a good get. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 01:25:19 PM »
That's as close to a Davante Gardner clone as I've ever seen in a recruit video. Don't know whether that means MU should go after him, but I pictured Davante doing every one of those moves (the 3-pointer and through-the-legs dribbling in the Pro-Am, similar to this kid doing it in AAU).

Thought the same thing watching the video. He's big, skilled and 15 years old. What's not to like?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 01:29:01 PM »
His brother is going to Minnesota and is quite an athlete...I think he was the state high jump champion this past year.  His dad played at MU (I believe under Majerus) before transferring to UW.
I was curious if he was related to the Ellenson who played at MU.    Was it under Majerus or under Dukiet?    Or did he leave when Ric did?

edit:    Scoop Wiki says 87-88, so Dukiet. 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 01:31:29 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 01:34:08 PM »
He already has an MU offer so I think he is more then somebody to just keep an eye on.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 01:37:18 PM »
C'mon, who DOESN'T have an offer from MU these days?   ::)

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 01:38:41 PM »
He already has an MU offer so I think he is more then somebody to just keep an eye on.

Yeah, that's not a bad list of offers for a kid just starting his sophomore year of high school (MU, Georgetown, Iowa State and Minnesota).
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 02:02:39 PM »

Not too many from 2015 that's for sure.....

The Process

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 02:03:47 PM »

Traditional bigs.
Relax. Respect the Process.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 05:07:07 PM »
Has UW written all over him.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 06:08:30 PM »
What surprises me is the lack of dunk clips. That's not in teal. If you're 6'8" and playing the Big East, you DUNK the ball.

This video doesn't show his all-around game, but he doesn't appear to have a lot of vert and his comp is usually undersized. He did stroke a three though, FWIW.

I'm sure he's probably been (or still is) on MU's radar but he doesn't make me wanna holler, "Sign him!"
SS Marquette

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 06:13:47 PM »

"The Big White Ox."

Even has a Paul Bunyon-ish northwoods like theme.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 06:35:53 PM »
Has UW written all over him.

So, why did his brother go to Minnesota?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 06:38:52 PM »
What surprises me is the lack of dunk clips. That's not in teal. If you're 6'8" and playing the Big East, you DUNK the ball.

This video doesn't show his all-around game, but he doesn't appear to have a lot of vert and his comp is usually undersized. He did stroke a three though, FWIW.

I'm sure he's probably been (or still is) on MU's radar but he doesn't make me wanna holler, "Sign him!"

Hence the similarity many see with Gardner.  Has Gardener ever dunked in a Big East game?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 07:51:52 PM »
His brother Wally puts it like this: "I thought about Wisconsin, but then I considered their style of play and it wasn't for me"

The family is in the Twin Cities a lot.. John played at MU, then actually went and played for Becky.  

Wally is at Minnesota now as a freshman...he's ~6'5"... excellent athlete (and not just for a traditional).  Ellwood (seriously) is the middle boy and is kind of a grinder/effort guy.. very athletic as well, but doesn't have the touch the other bros have.

Henry is the biggest.. big fricken kid.  Game is far more than an interior traditional.  Potential is ridiculous if he works hard.  Does some amazing things.. I've watched him in person a lot and dude is the truth.  NOT your traditional traditional and NOT a traditional 'big man'.  

The kids played HS together this past year at Rice Lake WI, but have been in the Minnesota Pump N Run program... this year Ellwood played 17U and Henry has played 15U for a very strong team that's a ton of fun to watch - other notables on that team are Marshawn Wilson (2015 guard with springs under his feet) and 2016 Amir Coffey... very young and thin, but looong and his dad was a late bloomer who filled out and was a tough SOB at Minnesota back in his day.  Amir could turn out stupid good as well - really like him.  

Henry = will be NOTHING like Davante.  Could be a big 3/4 if he plays it right.  Now that I think of it.. and had to throw up a wild MU comp.. might say Chris Crawford.  Potential to be better, though.  

The family is very supportive, always around.  Mom, dad, little sister... they spend a lot of time in the gym.  If he says, "I'm heading to Marquette", be excited.

(PS - I also like Diamond Stone, but they are different players... )
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 07:53:50 PM by Jay Bee »
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 08:41:26 PM »
Hence the similarity many see with Gardner.  Has Gardener ever dunked in a Big East game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mJ93HeZDlg

at 4:38 vs St Johns, and I thought he did in that road game vs Nova but didnt see that clip.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 09:26:05 PM »
Was that Tubby on the balcony at the end of the video?  Rice Lake is only a short drive from the Twin Cities.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 09:34:06 PM »
Jay Bee, wish i had followed your advice and went to B Jefferson to see the tourney last month to see this kid.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 11:04:43 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mJ93HeZDlg

at 4:38 vs St Johns, and I thought he did in that road game vs Nova but didnt see that clip.

DG has dunked on more than one occasion.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2012, 11:09:32 PM »
He will never come to MU.  And we would be best off with our efforts elsewhere.  Given the history with his father... There is a snowballs chance in hell that he attends MU

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2012, 03:05:55 AM »
Was that Tubby on the balcony at the end of the video?  Rice Lake is only a short drive from the Twin Cities.

Yeah, that video is from Bloomington Jefferson HS (suburb of MPLS, less than 15 miles from Williams Arena);  lots of AAU events there (activity center w~6 gyms, for certified events coaches are up on the running track above).  Rice Lake, however, isn't that easy of a drive from Mpls... 100+ miles & 2 hours to get there.

Dimes - what more can you say about Ellenson MU experience? More of a coaching change issue than anything else or diff take?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2012, 07:02:24 AM »
Reminds me a bit of Jack Cooley. Some blocking, solid space-eater and rebounder, decent knack for scoring on short shots and put-backs, but definitely a below-the-rim player. Still, he is the type that could really excel in college, and contribute immediately from day one simply because of his frame.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback