'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: Is Damian Saunders visiting this weekend??  (Read 16296 times)

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
Is Damian Saunders visiting this weekend??
« on: October 27, 2006, 12:31:06 PM »
Looks like a good prospect... might sign him in case DJ goes to the NBA.

He's a 6'7", 210 lbs. SF/ PF prospect who's at Notre Dame Prep.  Last year in high school he averaged 25 pts & 16 rbs.

Couple of quotes...

``I’m going to choose between Marquette and Providence,” the ultra-athletic 6-foot-7 forward said. “Right now I’m leaning towards Marquette.”

Saunders realizes he needs to work on his perimeter game and that his greatest strength is his athleticism.

``I have some good inside moves and low-post moves so I think I can be a threat in the post,” he said. “Hopefully, I’ll play a three in college but if it comes down to a three or a four, it doesn’t really matter to me.”
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
Re: Is Damian Saunders visiting this weekend??
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 12:34:26 PM »
yes.
But I like to throw handfuls...

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 12:39:01 PM »
Looks like a good prospect... might sign him in case DJ goes to the NBA.

A PF to replace a PG?  j/k.  I like his size. and the ND Prep connection might help.

Here's his profile at Scout:
http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=191&p=8&c=1&nid=2807357

And this article is a bit old (ok, a month), but provides some decent info:
http://www.rep-am.com/story.php?id=13219

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 01:12:23 PM »
At first I thought the same thing... why a PF for a PG?  The thing to think about is that next year we're adding Scott Christopherson & Lil' Mo to the backcourt of Wes, Jerel, & David.  Plus we'll have two guys who could play a big 2 or the 3 (Lazar & Fitz).  I like the idea of adding a lot of athletic, talented 6'7" & 6'8" guys ala Cinci of old.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 02:27:41 PM »
agreed......I like the way TC is recruiting these long, athletic forwards.  At this point we dont know if Mbakwe will qualify either btw

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 08:51:05 PM »
agreed......I like the way TC is recruiting these long, athletic forwards.  At this point we dont know if Mbakwe will qualify either btw

I've always hated Cincy but we are definitely recruiting the long athletic forwards that Cincy used to throw at us endlessly and that is a good thing.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 10:16:11 AM »
More scoop on Saunders from our man at the JS... Todd Rosiak!! Sounds like he's going to commit to a school within a couple of weeks after visiting Providence.  I think it has been said before but if he leaves MU without commiting and he has an offer, I think he's as good as gone.  I don't like the visiting of other schools after an official to MU.

http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=2&date=10/28/2006&id=13448

SATURDAY, Oct. 28, 2006, 2:36 a.m.
By Todd Rosiak
MU receives visit from prep schooler

Damian Saunders, a 6-foot-8, 210-pound forward who will play this season at Notre Dame Prep in Fitchburg, Mass., is in the midst of an official visit to Marquette University.

Saunders attended the Golden Eagles' annual fish fry and 'Haunted Hoops' scrimmage on Friday night, and will remain in town through Sunday.

He averaged 26 points, 12 rebounds and six blocks per game as a senior at Crosby High School in Waterbury, Conn. last season but matriculated to Notre Dame Prep -- where current MU forward Lazar Hayward played last season -- to help improve his academic standing.

Saunders' visit to MU is his first official; he's scheduled to visit fellow Big East school Providence in two weeks. Tennessee and New Mexico State are also interested in his services.

With guard Scott Christopherson and forwards Trevor Mbakwe and Patrick Hazel all committed for next season, MU does not have a scholarship to offer Saunders at this time.

But taking into consideration the possibility Dominic James could be headed for the National Basketball Association next season, the Golden Eagles are covering their bases.

In Saunders, they'd be getting a big man who one source said "is a 3 but plays like a 4."

"My game is based on my defense," Saunders said. "I'd rather count on my defense than my offense. I'm an athletic 3-4 guy. I'd rather play the big guys than play a small person because of my size. But I'll play whoever."

A distant cousin of former Connecticut Huskies forward Edmund Saunders, Damian Saunders said he has no set timetable on when he'll choose a college.

"I'm going to basically take my time when it comes to my decision, because it's a very important decision," he said. "Depending on whoever's got the best capability of graduating (me) and courses. Probably after a couple weeks."

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 07:12:25 PM »
More scoop on Saunders from our man at the JS... Todd Rosiak!! Sounds like he's going to commit to a school within a couple of weeks after visiting Providence.  I think it has been said before but if he leaves MU without commiting and he has an offer, I think he's as good as gone.  I don't like the visiting of other schools after an official to MU.

I don't mind if he doesnt commit during his visit.  At this point in time we don't have a scholarship and I would imagine if we are offering one it has to be conditional.

TheGamer

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 07:00:24 PM »
Damien Saunders is too good a prospect to pass on.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 10:55:52 PM »
If I am not mistaken he was at the Haunted Hoops scrimage.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 07:50:07 AM »
Anyone know where he was sitting?  There was a guy in street clothes on Crean's "Team" that was going into the huddle on timeouts.  Couldn't place him.  I got two crappy photos of him, though.  I'll post 'em later.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 09:07:19 AM »
That was him in the blue and grey hooded sweatshirt sitting on TC's teams bench in the first half.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2006, 09:37:16 AM »
Yep, that was him.  I saw him at the fish fry and saw his name tage as I passed by him for food.  Heis probably 6'7" tops.  We still need to get a 6'9" or 6'10" guy to replace Barro.  We can't be totally undersized across the front line.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2006, 02:32:41 PM »
Damien Saunders is too good a prospect to pass on.

Maybe he is but I would rather take a pass on him if it means we get James for one more year, Mbakwe qualifies and we have no transfers or no one dismissed from the program.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2006, 02:35:37 PM »
I have no problem with us pursuing him, and offering a conditional scholarship.  The problem is  MU becomes as even harder sell when we say "Well, we can't promise you a 'ship, but you'd be a great fit at MU"
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 01:17:03 PM by rocky_warrior »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2006, 10:45:02 AM »
Here's that picture .. is this him?

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2006, 08:46:56 PM »
That is Damian Saunders.

feedback