* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Its DJOver
[Today at 09:35:26 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by tower912
[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Next-level of Administration Support  (Read 24243 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Next-level of Administration Support
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2012, 10:44:52 AM »
Why don't you answer my question Sultan - why does LW deserve credit for signing off on a game on an aircraft carrier?  What A.D. wouldn't sign off on that game?? 

Those are two questions, but I will answer both:

1. Because he is the athletic director and am assuming that ultimately he is responsible for at least giving the OK of where the team plays.

2. I don't know.

See, essentially what you have managed to do, is give Buzz all the accolades for everything that is going well, while placing blame on the LW for everything that *might* be going wrong.  I don't think that is an accurate picture at all.

Rubie Q

• Starter
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2012, 10:45:05 AM »
Why don't you answer my question Sultan - why does LW deserve credit for signing off on a game on an aircraft carrier?  What A.D. wouldn't sign off on that game?? 

An AD who thinks Marquette athletics should resemble SLU athletics.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2012, 10:49:45 AM »
Really -we are calling them the "big guns" now??  Wow.  These guys walked into a system that was already set up and budgeted quite well...and operating quite well....largely due to having a great young coach.  Again, they walked into a Ferrari situation, and all they had to do was continue moving forward with business as usual.  Instead, LW decides to open his mouth to the JS Online, and make dumb comments regarding Buzz....and in just 59 days on the job.....piss off his number 1 asset in his department.  

And yet Buzz is still here praising the support of Marquette...Why would I call the Athletic Director and President of the University "Big Guns" silly me...I guess neither of them have any control over anything at the school. You are going to try to tell me Buzz had anything to do with out budgeting?? With our program's reputation?? 2003 put this basketball team on the map again. 2 Sweet 16's are great, but what Crean and Wade have done for this program makes everything Buzz had done to this point look minuscule.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2012, 10:51:49 AM »
I agree that it's harsh to say "the verdict is out" on LW being intelligent. I don't think he would have risen to his position without an above average IQ. It's totally fair, though, to say the jury is out as to whether he'll be a successful AD at Marquette. He only been here 6 months, yet some here (not you) who are still waiting for Buzz to finish year 5 before giving him a thumbs up are Larry's biggest boosters. He's stepped in it a couple of times, but so did Buzz early in his tenure. I haven't seen enough to make any judgement. For now I'm just rooting that he's the right guy to help MU reach the next level. As Dave Wannstedt used to say, "All the pieces are in place".

I agree 100%.

I don't think we can vilify the guy, nor can we give him a ton of credit.

LW looks pretty good so far, and in a similar fashion, Buzz did well with the players he inherited at MU.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2012, 10:56:06 AM »
3) I don't think LW had anything more to do with getting Chew and Wainwright to MU than signing off on whatever salary was negotiated (Chew expensive, Wainwright cheap) - they came to MU due to their relationship with Buzz.  Clearly, money was already available in the departure of Benford and Lundy...just a matter of how much more cash was spent on Chew than Benford - though Benford was reported to be paid quite well.  LW hasn't shown a great deal of common sense in his media dealings and interactions with some donors, period.  That isn't a rumor.

If you are right (and I'm not saying you are), then they should just fire LW, make Buzz AD and give him some administrative support to handle the AD's logistical/admin. duties. 

Buzz is clearly making all of the decision anyways. Right? He decided to put the frosh. & soph. players in Tower (allegedly).

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2012, 11:34:33 AM »
1) Only a couple of idiots would decline the opportunity to play on an aircraft carrier on national TV - so giving them credit for "providing the resources to make sure it happens counts for something" is pretty generous...it's a no brainer to play that game - so why do they deserve credit?  You think any other AD and President would decline that opportunity??

3) I don't think LW had anything more to do with getting Chew and Wainwright to MU than signing off on whatever salary was negotiated (Chew expensive, Wainwright cheap) - they came to MU due to their relationship with Buzz.  Clearly, money was already available in the departure of Benford and Lundy...just a matter of how much more cash was spent on Chew than Benford - though Benford was reported to be paid quite well.  LW hasn't shown a great deal of common sense in his media dealings and interactions with some donors, period.  That isn't a rumor.

If that isn't a rumor, please provide factual evidence.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2012, 12:12:31 PM »
If that isn't a rumor, please provide factual evidence.

I know I am setting myself up for a tazing, but,

I know of 2 very common sense donors who have been impressed with LW.   

shaquilvaine

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2012, 12:19:54 PM »
Perhaps slightly overstated - okay, how about 5% - with regard to scheduling?  (Yet we all know Broeker is the guy who handles MU's schedule - and was the one approached about the aircraft carrier game - who took it straight to Buzz.)  I'm sure you'd agree that MU wasn't invited to play on aircraft carrier due to the arrival of Scott Pilarz and Larry Williams, correct?    Lastly, can you clarify what LW and SP have to do with recruiting?  

Ners, you couldn't be more incorrect. In fact, Larry Williams is the only reason we are playing on the aircraft carrier and I know this for fact.  Let me spell it out for you... UNC and MSU played on an aircraft carrier last year.  UNC's AD is an ND alum and tight with Larry.  The UNC AD put in a good word for Larry for the following year.  OSU's AD is also an ND alum.  Larry asked the OSU AD to play MU.  Much like MU, ND alums take care of one another. Therefore MU is playing the OSU.  I've kept my mouth shut, but the mudslinging against the new administration despite complete lack of information is beyond my comprehension.  Ners, if you are excited for the aircraft carrier game.. do yourself a favor and call Larry to thank him.  I know Buzz did.  

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2012, 12:28:39 PM »
Ners, you couldn't be more incorrect. In fact, Larry Williams is the only reason we are playing on the aircraft carrier and I know this for fact.  Let me spell it out for you... UNC and MSU played on an aircraft carrier last year.  UNC's AD is an ND alum and tight with Larry.  The UNC AD put in a good word for Larry for the following year.  OSU's AD is also an ND alum.  Larry asked the OSU AD to play MU.  Much like MU, ND alums take care of one another. Therefore MU is playing the OSU.  I've kept my mouth shut, but the mudslinging against the new administration despite complete lack of information is beyond my comprehension.  Ners, if you are excited for the aircraft carrier game.. do yourself a favor and call Larry to thank him.  I know Buzz did.  

Thank you.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2012, 12:35:40 PM »

You expect me to believe that MU's (athletic department) connections got MU into this game, and not a cold-call to Mike Broeker inviting MU to play in one of the most high profile games of the year?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2012, 12:40:16 PM »

Not quite as awesome as the epic bma smackdown, but still plenty satisfying.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2012, 01:27:18 PM »
Egg on face regarding Buzz listening to SMU shouldn't smear LW's record henceforth.  Props to LW on the aircraft setup, Buzz should have given him props in public.   Lots of ND alums in AD positions, used to be at SMU too.  Duke AD,etc. have former ND connections.  

Larry's ability to retain his top level coaches and new hirings will be largely how Larry is judged after his tenure at MU.

Loved what Cottingham did for us and had us at a peak athletically.   Will we be better off in five years?  I'll be rooting for Larry, and decisions like potentially drying up the JUCO spigot will probably be very impactful.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2012, 02:45:15 PM »

Douche chill!
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2012, 07:27:09 PM »
And yet Buzz is still here praising the support of Marquette...Why would I call the Athletic Director and President of the University "Big Guns" silly me...I guess neither of them have any control over anything at the school. You are going to try to tell me Buzz had anything to do with out budgeting?? With our program's reputation?? 2003 put this basketball team on the map again. 2 Sweet 16's are great, but what Crean and Wade have done for this program makes everything Buzz had done to this point look minuscule.

Agree, Crean and Wade were huge in the resurgence of MU.  Interesting issue now would be - well we can't even admit a Prop 48 due to being in a BCS league - but if we could, would the current administration allow us to take a Prop 48?  Without D-Wade, there is no Final Four, period..we saw the next 2 years NIT appearances.  To say Buzz's back to back Sweet 16's are minuscule - when that hasn't been accomplished at MU since the days of Al McGuire - I'd say that is a bit off.  Also highly doubt MU is headed for the NIT anytime soon with the rosters ahead..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2012, 07:32:06 PM »

If you say so....however, just to point out...Larry Williams wasn't hired until 3 weeks after the first Aircraft Carrier game was played...so not sure when the UNC AD put in a good word for Larry for the following year?  Also, do you not think it is odd that if Larry Williams were the catalyst behind this game, that he wouldn't have broken the news to Buzz, or approached Buzz about it?  Why go through Broeker?  Perhaps LW and Buzz aren't on talking terms??  It is an absolute fact that the first Buzz heard about it was through Broeker....
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2012, 07:36:55 PM »
If you say so....however, just to point out...Larry Williams wasn't hired until 3 weeks after the first Aircraft Carrier game was played...so not sure when the UNC AD put in a good word for Larry for the following year?  Also, do you not think it is odd that if Larry Williams were the catalyst behind this game, that he wouldn't have broken the news to Buzz, or approached Buzz about it?  Why go through Broeker?  Perhaps LW and Buzz aren't on talking terms??  It is an absolute fact that the first Buzz heard about it was through Broeker....

LW to MB: "Hey what does the schedule look like for next year?  I just got a call about this."

MB to LW: "That might screw up a possible date with UWM, but that is a great opportunity.  I've got to talk to Buzz about a couple things regarding the schedule.  I'll run this by him."

Seriously, stop trying to cause trouble where no trouble evidently exists....

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2012, 07:38:25 PM »
Agree, Crean and Wade were huge in the resurgence of MU.  Interesting issue now would be - well we can't even admit a Prop 48 due to being in a BCS league - but if we could, would the current administration allow us to take a Prop 48? 

No school can take a Prop 48 any longer....they are non-qualifiers no matter the conference.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2012, 07:39:55 PM »

LW to MB: "Hey what does the schedule look like for next year?  I just got a call about this."

MB to LW: "That might screw up a possible date with UWM, but that is a great opportunity.  I've got to talk to Buzz about a couple things regarding the schedule.  I'll run this by him."

Seriously, stop trying to cause trouble where no trouble evidently exists....

Or how about this:

MB to LW:  "Hey, you really don't know what our schedule looks like for next year?"

LW to MB:  "Easy smart ass, I know you've been here on the job for 4+ years, but I'm going to help you become a better athletic director.  At present you tie your tie too tight, and either your head is going to explode or you are going to offend someone irrevocably beyond repair."  

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2012, 07:44:22 PM »
Or how about this:

MB to LW:  "Hey, you really don't know what our schedule looks like for next year?"

LW to MB:  "Easy smart ass, I know you've been here on the job for 4+ years, but I'm going to help you become a better athletic director.  At present you tie your tie too tight, and either your head is going to explode or you are going to offend someone irrevocably beyond repair." 

OK....  I guess you've stopped even attempting to be reasonable and are instead resorting to histrionics...

Good luck with that.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2012, 08:13:31 PM »
Looking at the exchanges here. DEFINITELY #firstworldproblems

Grab your favorite drink and chill folks! Lol
SS Marquette

Rubie Q

• Starter
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2012, 08:15:41 PM »
Or how about this:

MB to LW:  "Hey, you really don't know what our schedule looks like for next year?"

LW to MB:  "Easy smart ass, I know you've been here on the job for 4+ years, but I'm going to help you become a better athletic director.  At present you tie your tie too tight, and either your head is going to explode or you are going to offend someone irrevocably beyond repair."  

Dang, man. For somebody who likes to rail against the people who mock the tinfoil hat brigade, you sure do provide them with a lot of fodder.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2012, 10:38:50 PM »

LW plans to push Buzz off the carrier and then "not hear" his calls for help from the water - Wagner-Wood style. That is a FACT.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2012, 11:06:55 PM »
I agree that it's harsh to say "the verdict is out" on LW being intelligent. I don't think he would have risen to his position without an above average IQ. It's totally fair, though, to say the jury is out as to whether he'll be a successful AD at Marquette. He only been here 6 months, yet some here (not you) who are still waiting for Buzz to finish year 5 before giving him a thumbs up are Larry's biggest boosters. He's stepped in it a couple of times, but so did Buzz early in his tenure. I haven't seen enough to make any judgement. For now I'm just rooting that he's the right guy to help MU reach the next level. As Dave Wannstedt used to say, "All the pieces are in place".

I agree 100%.

I don't think we can vilify the guy, nor can we give him a ton of credit.

LW looks pretty good so far, and in a similar fashion, Buzz did well with the players he inherited at MU.

Guns n Ammo, you are clearly not a Chicago guy if you thought the Wannstedt quote was a positive.

Oh, and Lenny's Tap, thanks for ruining my summer.  We all have a summer filled with positive news and you have to pull out Wannstedt's famous precursor to disaster quote!!!
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

dbwarriors

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2012, 11:30:41 PM »
He's got a knee.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2012, 12:18:36 AM »

OK....  I guess you've stopped even attempting to be reasonable and are instead resorting to histrionics...

Good luck with that.

Ok, so is it really reasonable to think LW had to put a call in to Mike Broeker to learn the dynamics of the MU basketball schedule - as you hypothesized?  I'd sure as hell hope a competent athletic director would have a good handle on the schedule situation with his number 1 cash cow sport. 

Lastly, I'm not going to attack you personally and say you are resorting to histrionics, or quote you and say "because Sultan says" etc., as you have done in this thread - which is what you do when you really have no solid rebuttal to the answers/questions I've posed in response to your posts.