Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Marquette is a Big Spender in Recruiting  (Read 7572 times)

bma725

• All American
Re: Marquette is a Big Spender in Recruiting
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2008, 11:37:50 PM »
Xavier is well ahead of Marquette. They are in the A 10, in case your forgot.  Our ranking is poor. As a Blue & Gold contributor, Im ashamed!!!

A-10 actually helps you, easier conference makes it easier to earn points.  And Xavier fields 16 teams to MU's 14.  If you want it to change, find someone to pony up the cash for scholarships.

Or perhaps start a petition to have MU move to an easier conference, you hated C-USA so much, maybe you could push a move back to the Horizon League, that would make the all important Director's Cup points easier to get.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 11:45:34 PM by bma725 »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2008, 01:25:27 AM »
Thanks for proving my point Chicos. We should have finished above Xavier.

How did I prove your point?  Xavier has more teams then MU, thus they have a better opportunity to finish ahead of MU in those standings.  They field teams in an easier conference which means they also will have an easier opportunity to pick up points.

I fail to see how your point was proven at all.  I was at MU in athletics when we did those studies and I can assure you, unless you're going to cut a monster check, we're not adding any sports any time soon.  And unless we go to a lesser conference, it will be tough to earn those points in the other sports.

Simple as that.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2008, 09:24:44 AM »
there was talk a few years ago of adding Women's crew to the varsity level. As a club team they rank in the top 10-15 schools in the nation, whether it's varsity or club. I don't know why exactly they weren't given varsity status as they are a very good team and train like they'll be competing in the Olympics and get results but I'd guess it has to do w/ money.

muball

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2008, 09:49:56 AM »
I would estimate less than 1% of the people know what the Directors Cup is and that is being very gracious.  MU is noted for BBall and now BEast BBall.  I dont think recruits or parents of students ask how did MU do in the Directors Cup when thinking of attending MU. I'm not knocking the cup just saying it is an unknown and not a way to measure MUs success due to the costs of college sports.   

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2008, 11:11:59 AM »
I get the economics and the impact of adding new sports because of Title IX.

I guess my question is... why are other schools, especially BE schools, able to add more sports?

Is it simply an issue of focusing on a few things and trying to do those well vs. spreading resources across more areas and negatively impacting the ability to compete in BBall?
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2008, 12:51:57 PM »
I get the economics and the impact of adding new sports because of Title IX.

I guess my question is... why are other schools, especially BE schools, able to add more sports?

Is it simply an issue of focusing on a few things and trying to do those well vs. spreading resources across more areas and negatively impacting the ability to compete in BBall?

Don't know.  In many cases those schools had more sports to begin with.  They may also have different arrangements with the school in terms of scholarship funding, etc.  At MU, for example, every scholarship that is given out in athletics must be paid by athletics back to the university to "make the university whole" as it were.

Not all schools operate this way.   So for MU it's a tremendous expense to add sports, even if it's something like golf where the equipment needs are small and MU doesn't need to have an on-campus golf course.  When you start looking at adding something like women's softball, then it goes up considerable due to the number of players on the team, the equipment, fields to play on, etc.

The other poster is correct that women's crew was considered from what I was told through the grapevine.  Could happen I suppose but it would surprise me a bit.  All we've done in the last ten years is shrink our teams, including Rifle which was a coed sport and we were nationally in the top 15.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2008, 09:42:12 AM »
Wow ... This thread proves that their will always be someone that will find something to moan about no matter how trivial the issue. Honestly, before this thread I didn't even know of the Directors Cup. Furthermore, I could care less where MU finishes.

I agree with Chicos ... With limited resources, MU needs to focus their efforts and more importantly their money, on the sports that they feel will have most benefit to the university. I doubt many here would be very happy if the men's bball recruiting budget was slashed because MU wanted to make a bigger commitment to the track & field program or have additional sports.

BTW - Henry, I love the new avatar. 

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2008, 09:55:52 AM »
you certainly can't slash anything related to the men's bball program. We could conceivably draw over 18,000 nine times this year at the BC.

feedback