Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting Tidbits  (Read 43945 times)

Blackhat

• All American
Re: Recruiting Tidbits
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2013, 07:21:16 PM »

Looney's game has evolved

The evolution of Looney as a player and a prospect is one that continues to unfold. The 6-foot-8 (maybe pushing 6-foot-9?) junior forward at Milwaukee (Wis.) Hamilton broke onto the national hoops scene with the Milwaukee Running Rebels as a rising freshman. At the time, Looney was a skinny, wide-shouldered wing who loved to shoot deep jumpers and get on the glass and seemed like a natural small forward.

As time has gone by, Looney has grown into those wide shoulders. As we watched the No. 7 player in the class of 2014 over the weekend, we could see that his game is developing as well.

The part of Looney's game that has remained consistent during his development is the high volume at which he rebounds the ball. He's not one of those guys who is some kind of stupendous athlete who leaps over or runs by everybody. No, Looney is a grinder with great hands and a natural instinct for being in the right place at the right time. He reads where the ball will go, understands where misses tend to fall and has excellent reactions to get to and corral rebounds. Those same instincts and patience have turned him into a very good shot blocker.

That ability to rebound affords him lots of chances for easy scores around the rim. A growth spurt that has allowed him to fill out his once skinny frame and get a little taller has turned him into a more reliable interior finisher and somebody who can play with a bit more physicality. Because of that, it's probably time that we start looking at Looney more as a power forward than as a small forward on the next level. He can handle the ball, has a jumper that has to be respected and is an excellent passer, which will allow him to face up and be more versatile as a four who can play inside and out than as a three who will shoot and slash from the perimeter.

Something else that is becoming a regular occurrence is a big outing from White. A four-star prospect and 6-foot-8 forward who has always shown flashes of impressive ability, White has started to put it all together.

In the past he's been a bit flat in terms of emotion and aggression, but he's really ramped it up in both areas and the results have been impressive. He can shoot deep jumpers, handles it pretty well, has slashing ability and is a fluid athlete who can be put at various positions on the floor to generate matchup problems.

"I've had everybody telling me to just be confident because they know I can play like that," White said after a 20-point, seven-rebound effort. "I'm just relaxed out there and having a lot of fun."

White mentioned Marquette, Arizona, Florida and Notre Dame as schools coming at him hard. He said Kentucky has been starting to show interest, and he's starting to take notice of the new staff at Illinois. Indiana offered early but hasn't made much contact since, he said.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2013, 04:09:58 PM »

Eric Bossi Rivals.com

The better part of the spring portion of the grassroots circuit has been completed. Memorial Day looms as the last big spring weekend where a more unheralded prospect can build some buzz before July's open period.

Sandy Cohen won't be needing a big Memorial Day to build some buzz. The 6-foot-5 guard from Seymour (Wisc.) High has already done that thanks to his play with Playground Elite on the spring circuit.

He's also coming off a good junior season.

"My high school season went pretty well and we only lost five games all year and were a game away from going to state," said Cohen. "I did pretty good, I averaged like 20 points per game."

Relatively unknown just a few months ago, Cohen has seen his stock soar. He's currently a three-star prospect, but he'll likely move into the rankings and earn four-star status when the 2014 Rivals150 gets updated.

He can run the point, he can play off the ball, and he can be a scorer. His 6-foot-5 size and vision are impressive, but he's got to prove he can consistently hit from deep and needs to add strength.

Marquette, Providence, Kentucky, Illinois, Iowa are schools that he says have shown more recent interest, while he also has offers from Wisconsin Green-Bay, LaSalle, George Washington and Minnesota, among others. All the schools like that he can be moved around a lineup.

"They all say I'm pretty versatile," said Cohen. "I can play the one or two, it doesn't matter to me."

According to Cohen, he's trying to do his best to look into all of his options. He would like to take his time and is working on some visits for the summer. Cohen also admits to knowing a lot about one school in particular.

"Marquette was always my dream school, so they tried to get me to commit right away," said Cohen. "I just want to take a couple of visits and see what's out there.

"I'm going to go to Marquette in June and probably Minnesota too."

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2013, 06:56:48 PM »
Sounds like he is ours to lose. He's got great height and length. His release is a bit slow, but it sounds like he has made some real improvements to his game in the past few months. Could be a really nice complement to Du Wilson and Trey J in the backcourt.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2013, 08:04:15 AM »
Relatively unknown just a few months ago, Cohen has seen his stock soar. He's currently a three-star prospect, but he'll likely move into the rankings and earn four-star status when the 2014 Rivals150 gets updated.

FWIW a 4 Star in the 2013 Rivals150 ranges from #27 to #113.......and the 2014 Rivals150 ranges from #21 to #100.  So Bossi must think he's quite solid to say that....

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2013, 11:04:08 AM »
MN is going to have a lot to offer though, the cupboard is pretty bare. Dream school maybe but with Wilson, Wilson, Dawson, & JJJ the competition will be tight.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2013, 11:13:50 AM »

Eric Bossi Rivals.com

The better part of the spring portion of the grassroots circuit has been completed. Memorial Day looms as the last big spring weekend where a more unheralded prospect can build some buzz before July's open period.

Sandy Cohen won't be needing a big Memorial Day to build some buzz. The 6-foot-5 guard from Seymour (Wisc.) High has already done that thanks to his play with Playground Elite on the spring circuit.

He's also coming off a good junior season.

"My high school season went pretty well and we only lost five games all year and were a game away from going to state," said Cohen. "I did pretty good, I averaged like 20 points per game."

He can run the point, he can play off the ball, and he can be a scorer. His 6-foot-5 size and vision are impressive, but he's got to prove he can consistently hit from deep and needs to add strength.

Marquette, Providence, Kentucky, Illinois, Iowa are schools that he says have shown more recent interest, while he also has offers from Wisconsin Green-Bay, LaSalle, George Washington and Minnesota, among others. All the schools like that he can be moved around a lineup.

"They all say I'm pretty versatile," said Cohen. "I can play the one or two, it doesn't matter to me."

According to Cohen, he's trying to do his best to look into all of his options. He would like to take his time and is working on some visits for the summer. Cohen also admits to knowing a lot about one school in particular.

"Marquette was always my dream school, so they tried to get me to commit right away," said Cohen. "I just want to take a couple of visits and see what's out there.

"I'm going to go to Marquette in June and probably Minnesota too."

Regardless of where Cohen ends up, it's awesome to hear kids like him and Noskowiak from areas in which Bucky is traditionally strong in recruiting (i.e. everywhere in Wisconsin outside Milwaukee) talk about Marquette being their dream school.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2013, 01:54:30 PM »
They're realizing we're all about basketball - it's what we are.  Badgers are all about football.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2013, 07:16:48 PM »
And that's a fact, Jack!

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2013, 08:18:43 PM »
We got some serious talent on the roster this year! Gonna be fun to watch this team come together. I wonder
when they will all be on campus?

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2013, 08:39:54 PM »
The major leagues up here at MU.

Hopefully Larry and Pilarz catch on, maybe Wild will offer a class.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2013, 09:55:55 PM »
The major leagues up here at MU.

Hopefully Larry and Pilarz catch on, maybe Wild will offer a class.

Yeah,  MU athletics - and especially the basketball program - have really gone down the tubes since those guys took over.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2013, 10:27:44 PM »
Yeah,  MU athletics - and especially the basketball program - have really gone down the tubes since those guys took over.

The book is still being written

Death on call

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2013, 10:43:03 PM »

Something else that is becoming a regular occurrence is a big outing from White. A four-star prospect and 6-foot-8 forward who has always shown flashes of impressive ability, White has started to put it all together.

In the past he's been a bit flat in terms of emotion and aggression, but he's really ramped it up in both areas and the results have been impressive. He can shoot deep jumpers, handles it pretty well, has slashing ability and is a fluid athlete who can be put at various positions on the floor to generate matchup problems.

"I've had everybody telling me to just be confident because they know I can play like that," White said after a 20-point, seven-rebound effort. "I'm just relaxed out there and having a lot of fun."

White mentioned Marquette, Arizona, Florida and Notre Dame as schools coming at him hard. He said Kentucky has been starting to show interest, and he's starting to take notice of the new staff at Illinois. Indiana offered early but hasn't made much contact since, he said.

What's Paul White's ethnicity?

He looks like there's a little Chinese or Filipino in him.
SS Marquette

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2013, 04:39:41 AM »

Gotta wait 5 years to pass judgement.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2013, 11:40:57 AM »
What's Paul White's ethnicity?

He looks like there's a little Chinese or Filipino in him.

Jon Gosselin is his father.

Hitting it on the side.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2013, 10:42:42 AM »

Considering our latest move to the Big East and what seems to be one of the power brokers in the league, appears the last chapter in this fantasy novel some have is about done.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2013, 10:46:15 AM »

With coaches, yes.  Need to get their recruits in there and a full class matriculated.  Mike Deane, Bruiser Flint, Quinn Snyder, Gene Chizik, etc, etc, etc

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2013, 11:24:14 AM »
Power Forward DONOVAN KIRK from Detroit IS TRANSFERRING OUT OF DePaul.
lIKE 6-8 225--- will be a senior.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2013, 11:27:46 AM »

If the same BE rules still exist, MU can't take him.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2013, 12:28:59 PM »
Barnes (Texas) 12 years very good, last year a disaster.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2013, 03:19:11 PM »
l LIKE 6-8 225--- will be a senior.

He must be a graduate student transfer who qualifies right away because he's only got a year left and can't burn another year sitting out.  He transferred from Miami to DePaul.

As far as liking him; do you like him for the thrid option at center or would you like to have him take Steve Taylor's minutes so Steve could consider transferring next year?  WE DON'T NEED BIGS FOR THIS FALL, WE NEED BIGS FOR THE FALL OF 2014 AFTER OX OTULE, AND JAMIL GRADUATE.

p.s. We no longer have a scholarship to give.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

boyonthedock

« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2013, 03:29:30 PM »
Barnes (Texas) 12 years very good, last year a disaster.

Whoa, hold on there. We gotta wait five years until we can tell if last year in Texas was bad or not.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2013, 03:58:43 PM »
He must be a graduate student transfer who qualifies right away because he's only got a year left and can't burn another year sitting out.  He transferred from Miami to DePaul.

As far as liking him; do you like him for the thrid option at center or would you like to have him take Steve Taylor's minutes so Steve could consider transferring next year?  WE DON'T NEED BIGS FOR THIS FALL, WE NEED BIGS FOR THE FALL OF 2014 AFTER OX OTULE, AND JAMIL GRADUATE.

p.s. We no longer have a scholarship to give.

AND he can't transfer within the Big East Conference.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2013, 04:26:51 PM »

AND he can't transfer within the Big East Conference.

I didn't mean to imply that your post was not definitive, I was just adding additional reasons.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2013, 04:27:04 PM »

I expect a monster class for DePaul.

They've got schollies and PT to offer this year and next year:
McGhee, Morgan (transferring out), Young, Melvin and Kirk (also transferring) are going to be Seniors.
Non-Seniors transferring out are Robertson (6-10 So), Clemons (6-7 Fr) and Price (6-7 Fr).

That leaves:
6-0 G Dolins
6-5 G Marrero
6-1 G McDonald
6-9 F Ryckbosch
6-4 F Crockett
6-3 G McKinney
6-8 F Melvin
6-4 G Young
6-3 G McGhee
SS Marquette

feedback