[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting Tidbits  (Read 43790 times)

muwar2003

• Scholarship Player
Re: Recruiting Tidbits
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2012, 07:47:53 AM »
Al did recruit Johnson.   He recruited a teammate of Johnson's from Messemer.  A point guard name Bob.   He played at Mu for one year.  I don't know if Johnson didn't have the grades or just didn't want to come to Mu.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2012, 08:13:23 AM »
Al did recruit Johnson.   He recruited a teammate of Johnson's from Messemer.  A point guard name Bob.   He played at Mu for one year.  I don't know if Johnson didn't have the grades or just didn't want to come to Mu.

Bob Piercy

augoman

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2012, 09:07:57 AM »
Bob Piercy

correction:  'Beautiful' Bob Piercy- (I watched Dean 'The Dream' Meminger dribble between Piercy's legs on the way to the hoop for a layup in the first MU alumni game at MUHS).

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2012, 11:56:51 AM »
Augie, I was there too for both games. Piercy looked like he was about 35 lbs. overweight.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2012, 12:59:00 PM »
Both went JC back in the day.  Al recruited JC kids all the time.  Whitehead, Lackey, and Walton.  They might have gone to like Burlington JC, but not sure about that.

Fred Brown went to Burlington (now Southeastern Iowa) and John Johnson went to Northwest Wyoming.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2012, 06:44:44 PM »
Eric Bossi Rivals.com

The months of April and May were pretty good to Mike Young.

The 6-foot-8 forward from Hudson Catholic in New Jersey is having a solid June as well. After a strong run at the Pangos All-American Camp, Young has been impressive through the first day and a half of the NBPA Top 100 Camp as well.

He handles the ball, goes to the rim and can play some power basketball when needed. He's played the role of a combo forward and that's how many college coaches see him down the road.

"Some see me as a four and some see me as kind of a three," Young told Rivals.com. "It depends a lot if they play four out and one in or if they play with three guards and two big guys."

Ranked No. 105 nationally in the class of 2013, Young has been happy with his play in Charlottesville.

"I feel like I've done pretty well," Young said. "I've been patient and I've scored when I've gotten my chances."

Later this summer, Young will look to make some cuts from his current list of Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Florida, Miami, St. John's, Georgia Tech, Xavier and Marquette.

After he cuts it down, he'll take visits in hope of signing in the fall. He'll be looking for a place where he can create mismatches.

"I will probably cut it down in late August or September," said Young. "I'd like to decide before my senior season and sign in the fall.

"I like a system where I can play to mismatches on the floor."

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2012, 11:58:26 AM »
Eric Bossi Rivals.com

2013 Shooting Guard

There was never any doubt in JaJuan Johnson's mind that he could play at a high level. He also knew that with hard work his ability would be recognized.

After a monster spring with the Bluff City Legends, the 6-foot-4 shooting guard from Memphis (Tenn.) Southwind is one of the hottest prospects in the country.

"It's been big for me," Johnson told Rivals.com about his play on the grassroots circuit. "I can tell just with all of these calls that I've been getting here."

Johnson hasn't just been getting calls, he's been adding to his long list of offers.

His most recent offers have come from West Virginia and Florida State to go on top of offers from programs like Memphis, Tennessee, Auburn, Arkansas, Alabama, Florida, Texas, Cincinnati, Marquette and Ole Miss.

During the month of June, Johnson has been busy on the visit trail. He's been by Ole Miss and Memphis and has plans to see Alabama next week. He also stopped by Louisville and the visit left an impression.

"It was really nice," said Johnson. "Everything was new. They had a lot of nice stuff to show me and they have a cool staff."

A slim shooter/score who can really defend, Johnson currently ranks No. 109 in the Rivals150. However, that will change when the rankings are updated and he'll be making a sizable move up.

Johnson is slated to attend the Kevin Durant Skills Academy next week and will then hit LeBron James' Academy and events with the Bluff City Legends. He'll also chop his list down to around five schools.

"I'm going to do it right after Peach Jam," said Johnson. "I want a school that plays my style of play and that I have a good relationship with the coaches. Also a place that I could see myself staying after I get done playing."

Finally, Johnson couldn't be any happier with the position he is in. He's proved he can play and is proud to have gotten his attention because of his play and not because of a reputation.

"It feels good," said Johnson of his success. "I've been playing with J3 (Johnathan Williams and Nick King and they are All-Americans. I've known I was just as good and people would see it. It just made me hungry to show what I can do."

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2012, 11:59:49 AM »
Harris taking visits

During last weekend's NBPA Top 100 Camp, four-star Kendal Harris got off to a bit of a slow start. By the end of the weekend, though, the 6-foot-4 point guard from Richardson (Texas) Berkner was very instrumental in helping lead his camp team to the title.

A candidate to make a move up from his current spot of No. 100 in the Rivals150, Harris will start taking visits in hopes of chopping his lengthy list down a bit. He hit LSU at the beginning of the month and will trip to Arkansas on the 28th, TCU on the 29th and he's looking into a Texas -- who has turned up the intensity on his recruitment -- visit on the 30th. During July, he's planning to stop by Marquette if time allows.

According to Harris, he would like to decide during the early signing period and his plan is to cut things down after July. Among the others who have been showing more attention lately are Alabama, Missouri, Kansas State, USC, Washington State, Texas Tech, Virginia, Gonzaga and Creighton.

Stone solid

It's not totally unheard of for a big man to take over and control the action in an All-Star camp setting. However, it is a little unusual for a big guy to dominate the way that rising sophomore Diamond Stone did at the Nike Elite 100 in St. Louis during June. Usually, big men who dictate the action at a camp are high-flying, beastly, low-post warriors who simply overmatch their opponents physically. While Stone was certainly stronger than many of his competitors, he managed to make the camp his via an impressive level of skill and savvy in the post. The Milwaukee native commanded that the offense be run through him because his teammates figured out it was their best chance of winning and he was able to turn shot-jacking guards into post-feeding team players.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 12:01:30 PM by Stone Cold »

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2012, 03:33:43 PM »

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2012, 03:42:16 PM »
http://chicagohoops.hoops247.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2044:updated-top-class-of-2013-prospects&catid=34:recruiting

I think we are recruiting Nunn and Hamilton and possibily Schilling.

Wow.  Never thought I'd see a St. Charles East player on a top 10 IL prospects list.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2012, 05:34:08 PM »
Wow.  Never thought I'd see a St. Charles East player on a top 10 IL prospects list.

Kendall Stephens is the son of former Purdue start Everette Stephens and has committed to play for his old man's alma mater.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2012, 03:54:30 PM »
Ryan James GopherIllustrated.com

**Zach Hanson had head coaches from Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Marquette watching him consistently amongst others.

6'9" 240 traditional

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2012, 05:58:45 PM »
Eric Bossi Rivals.com

Even before he heads to college as a member of the class of 2013, Torren Jones is getting a taste of the college experience.

The No. 131 player in the class of 2013 will leave his Phoenix-area home for his senior year to attend La Porte (Ind.) La Lumiere.

Torren Jones welcomes the opportunity to go to school away from home.

"I'm excited because of the opportunity it's going to bring for me," Jones told Rivals.com. "But I'm nervous at the same time to be leaving home and my family.

"I'm trying to get ready for college, so it will be the perfect experience to that."

A 6-foot-8 power forward who has become a favorite of coaches and analysts because of his willingness to do the dirty work around the basket and in the paint, Jones finished off his summer strong.

"I feel like I had a great summer and a great summer camp with my performance in Vegas," he said. "Vegas picked up my recruiting a lot and opened up some eyes to some people that were looking at me but kind of skeptical."

According to Jones, he now holds offers from Washington State, Washington, Oregon, Oregon State, Marquette, Missouri and DePaul.

While Texas hasn't yet offered, Jones counts the Longhorns as another showing major interest.

Happy to be known as a tough man, Jones said that there's also more to his game.

"With my big body I'm not afraid to get physical in the paint," he said. I know some big guys don't like that contact. I'm not afraid to go out there against a bigger guy and do what needs to be done.

"I run the floor, I think people overlook that kind of. Just my presence on defense is something I pride myself on and my ability to score. I think I'm a way better scorer than I was before."

Looking forward to a big senior year at La Lumiere, Jones said that he'll weigh academics and the rosters of the schools recruiting him, and he'd like to find a school in a college town. Also, he's in no rush and is likely to wait until the late signing period.

"I'm definitely going to wait until the spring. I'm going to wait until after the basketball season and kind of sit down and narrow it down and go from there."

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2012, 05:59:15 PM »

Soma Edo is one of the most explosive athletes in the country. The high-flying Edo, who jumped so high he smacked his head on a backboard in a game this summer, has a reputation as perhaps the best dunker in high school basketball.

As a member of the 2013 class, the electric Edo stands 6-foot-6 and weighs 215 pounds. After spending the summer playing for the Dallas Mustangs AAU squad, Edo will return to Richardson (TX) Berkner High School for his senior campaign.

At the next level, Edo sees himself as a combo forward. With his freakish athleticism, Edo would be a great fit in a program that likes to get out in transition allowing Edo to run the floor and showcase his explosiveness.

"My greatest strengths on the court are my ability to get to the basket and my explosive leaping ability," Edo told Rivals.com. "I've been working on improving my ball handling and my mid-range jumper and also my three point shot," he said.

Entering his final year of high school, Edo has a list of seven schools that are in play for his services. Marquette, Fresno State, Murray State, Oklahoma State, Santa Clara, Virginia Tech, and Western Kentucky are his finalists.

A decision appears to be coming soon for the Texas native, as he says he will decide on a school in about a month.

When making that decision, Edo says he will be looking at several different factors. "If I can be stable there. If the coaches treat me right, I mean I want a good coaching staff. The style of play, and also I'm real big into academics so that's important too," said Edo.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2012, 06:02:42 PM »
Wilson a great fit for Buzz

How much has pg Duane Wilson progressed this summer? Hearing he could shoot up the rankings this year?

- @TheMUblueman

At Rivals.com, we've already been pretty aggressive with our ranking of the Milwaukee (Wisc.) Dominican point guard by ranking him No. 52 nationally in the class of 2013. At 6-foot-3, we like his size, his ability to score and most of all that when his jumper isn't falling he doesn't keep firing from deep but instead attacks and looks to make things happen off the dribble. Most of all, he's part of what is looking like an outstanding class for Buzz Williams and Marquette with four-stars Deonte Burton and Jameel McKay also on board. Wilson is a great fit for Williams' offense that emphasizes guards making plays off the dribble and he's the type of tough kid that fans of the Golden Eagles have become accustomed to.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2012, 06:04:39 PM »
Edo, the next coming of Artie Green, the anti-gravity man?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2012, 08:35:52 PM »

Entering his final year of high school, Edo has a list of seven schools that are in play for his services. Marquette, Fresno State, Murray State, Oklahoma State, Santa Clara, Virginia Tech, and Western Kentucky are his finalists.

Ummm, son those all all fine choices.  But if MU offers I'd recommend you 'jump' at the opportunity.  Thank you.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2012, 10:12:56 AM »
BTW, thanks Stone Cold for keeping this thread going and the sharing the info!
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2012, 10:15:08 AM »
BTW, thanks Stone Cold for keeping this thread going and the sharing the info!

+1

brandx

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2012, 05:20:23 PM »
Edo, the next coming of Artie Green, the anti-gravity man?

Artie is still the best leaper I've ever seen at MU - and the range on his jumper extended to at least 6 feet

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2012, 10:40:14 AM »
Torren Jones leaving Dobson

Dobson senior power forward Torren Jones is transferring to basketball powerhouse La Porte (Ind.) La Lumiere, his mother, Cheryl, confirmed in a text message Friday morning.

Jones and his cousin, Jaron Hopkins, left Basha for the Mustangs this summer after their coach, Brad Pinter, was forced to resign following an underachieving season for the Bears in 2011-12. Jones averaged 19.6 points and 10.2 rebounds last season, but Basha lost its final three games and was knocked out of the Division I postseason in the second round. Jones attended the first two days at his new school but will not play a regular season game there.

Jones was offered a scholarship by Arizona before he entered high school, but his recruiting interest didn’t pick up again until this year, when he played very well in club ball evaluation periods to get offers from Marquette, Missouri, Oregon State, Washington State, Colorado, New Mexico, DePaul and Wyoming, according to Cheryl.

La Lumiere is a small, private college preparatory 90 minutes east of Chicago. Its roster is loaded with college-bound players and competes with the top prep schools in the nation. Jones’ transfer was first reported by Rivals.com.

You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2012, 10:47:39 AM »
I don't think we are all that interested in him.  He has made official visits to DePaul and Washington State and I have not seen his name connected with Marquette outside of some comments by his family.  He is a 6'7" PF, but we have others we are looking at in that position (Embiid, Washington)

nyg

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2012, 02:17:11 PM »
For those interested, Chris Jones, who Buzz was after for awhile, committed to Loserville. 

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2012, 05:36:46 PM »

JaJuan Johnson, SG, Memphis (Tenn.) Southwind: The Marquette signee slipped a bit during the post summer rankings of the class of 2013 and as it turns out dropping him down to No. 64 looks to have been a mistake. His jumper remains a little bit streaky and unique thanks to his flying right elbow, but he's rapidly developing other areas of his game. In particular, Johnson's become one of the most explosive players in his class off the dribble and has turned into an above the rim finisher.

By: William Whelan buffstampede.com

The 6-foot-2 guard started the summer with Belmont Shore and then joined Dream Vision. That wasn't all.

"It was alright," Sandifer said of his summer. "I only played 2 tournaments with (Dream Vision). They dismantled our 16 year-old team so played with Double Pump Elite.

Sandifer is currently ranked No. 79 on the Rivals150 list for 2014.
"I played well, better basketball towards the end of summer. If I had played with one team, I think it would have turned out better."

It didn't slow down his recruiting. He picked up interest from a wide array of schools but mentioned that Arizona, UNLV, Marquette, Georgetown and Stanford are recruiting him the hardest. While he is still wide open he said that he would like to start hearing from Duke.

When Sandifer last spoke to BuffStampede, he had a high opinion of the Buffs.

"I like the up-tempo style that they play at Colorado," he said. "I know a few people that go there so I followed them this past season. I used to work out with Spencer Dinwiddie when I was younger and I know Askia Booker because he was a senior at Price when I was a freshman. We played pick-up games all the time."

Despite the increased interest from other programs, that hasn't changed.

"I like them," he said most recently. "It seems like they want me to come visit. I think their style of play would fit my game."

Sandifer went on to say that he would like to make a decision by the end of AAU season in July 2013. Location, style of play and his relationship with the coaches look to be the most important factors in his recruitment.

While he lists only one offer, from the Buffs, he said that USC, Arizona and UNLV are all waiting on his freshman year transcripts from Price, in order to offer sometime in the future.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2012, 10:33:46 PM »
Does anyone know how Trevon Bunch's junior year is going at Racine Horlick?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

feedback