[Today at 10:58:06 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: So...about that realignment mess  (Read 4273 times)

Aughnanure

• All American
So...about that realignment mess
« on: May 23, 2012, 09:12:23 AM »
Big XII - SEC Champion bowl to rival Rose Bowl, sets up powers for who the playoff system will work for.

Florida St and Clemson being rumored as "done deals" to the Big XII

Texas publicly admitting to wooing Notre Dame and reports that they would be grandfathered in with their NBC deal and contracts w/ Michigan, USC, Navy, etc.,

Georgia Tech and Pitt are reportedly reaching out to the Big XII

SEC is reportedly (I know, "reportedly" again) interested Virginia Tech

Sorry Louisville?

http://dev.chuckoliver.net/2012/05/fsu-to-the-big-12-it-is-inevitable/
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--bowl-deal-shows-acc--big-east-were-remiss-in-not-lobbying-for-eight-team-playoff.html
http://outkickthecoverage.com/the-acc-and-big-east-deathmatch-nears.php
http://texas.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?ReturnTo=&sid=&script=content.asp&cid=1368302&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=
http://www.thekeyplay.com/content/2012/may/21/late-night-expansion-updates
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7946916/college-football-big-12-sec-bowl-death-knell-acc

« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 11:09:54 AM by Aughnanure »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: So...about that realignment mess
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 09:29:06 AM »
Big XII - SEC Champion bowl to rival Rose Bowl, sets up powers for who the playoff system will work for.

Florida St and Clemson being rumored as "done deals"

Texas publicly admitting to wooing Notre Dame and reports that they would be grandfathered in with their NBC deal and contracts w/ Michigan, USC, Navy, etc.,

Georgia Tech and Pitt are reportedly reaching out to the Big East

SEC is reportedly (I know, "reportedly" again) interested Virginia Tech

Sorry Louisville?

http://dev.chuckoliver.net/2012/05/fsu-to-the-big-12-it-is-inevitable/
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--bowl-deal-shows-acc--big-east-were-remiss-in-not-lobbying-for-eight-team-playoff.html
http://outkickthecoverage.com/the-acc-and-big-east-deathmatch-nears.php
http://texas.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?ReturnTo=&sid=&script=content.asp&cid=1368302&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=
http://www.thekeyplay.com/content/2012/may/21/late-night-expansion-updates
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7946916/college-football-big-12-sec-bowl-death-knell-acc

Pitt is reaching out to the BEAST?

Rubie Q

• Starter
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 09:32:56 AM »

Sorry Louisville?

Chip Brown of Orangebloods.com also wrote that he'd been told that the Big XII had done studies on the benefit of adding another BEast member (Cincinnati or Louisville, most likely), "and that report did not come back favorably."

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1363940

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 09:41:36 AM »
The ACC imploding will take some of the sting out of the Big East imploding for me.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 09:50:45 AM »
I think the weirder it gets, the better off MU is.

#1 Fans will just accept that all colleges are now realigned, and some preconceptions about the conferences will go away based upon the performance of the "new conferences".

#2 If this continues to be a crazy money grab, I think hoops-only schools have a shot at being icing on the cake for the right football-centric conference. If maximizing revenue overtakes tradition, I think adding a money making basketball-only school(s) makes sense for some of these conferences.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 10:19:47 AM »
Pitt is reaching out to the BEAST?

Whoops, Big XII -  correcting now.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 10:22:45 AM »
Chip Brown of Orangebloods.com also wrote that he'd been told that the Big XII had done studies on the benefit of adding another BEast member (Cincinnati or Louisville, most likely), "and that report did not come back favorably."

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1363940

The report came back that it was a marginal or negligible gain. Not that they would get less money for each school, but that they don't really increase the pie (maybe only with a championship FB game added).

For a school with an athletic program as profitable as Louisville, they sure seem to be getting screwed in this.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 10:47:05 AM by Aughnanure »

Rubie Q

• Starter
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 10:26:17 AM »
The report came back that it was a marginal or negligible gain. Not that they would get less money for each school, but that they don't really increase the pie (maybe only with a championship FB game added).

For a school as profitable athletic program as Louisville, they sure seem to be getting screwed in this.

I was surprised by that, too.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 02:42:52 PM »
The ACC imploding will take some of the sting out of the Big East imploding for me.

But it isn't imploding, it just seems to be moving down the food chain to below The Big 12.  Unfortunately, the likely result is the ACC loses a school, then the Big East loses a school (to the ACC), the ACC loses two schools, then the Big East loses two schools, and so on.  Say goodbye UConn, goodbye Rutgers, South Florida?  What has yet to be determined is if the ACC will go as far west as Louisville and Cincinnati.  Electronic footprint, not geographic footprint, baby.  I guessing we won't ever have to worry about losing Memphis.  One day, we could well find ourselves back in Conference USA, just this time it'll be called the Big East.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 02:51:26 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 02:56:12 PM »

For a school with an athletic program as profitable as Louisville, they sure seem to be getting screwed in this.

How profitable is their football program?  Do their fans travel well?  I know basketball makes a ton, so there has to be a weakness somewhere for their value added for the Big 12 to be so low.

If the Big 12 had fallen apart, there would have been even more teeth gnashing over the way that Kansas, Kansas State and Iowa State were getting screwed.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 03:53:13 PM »
Air Force or BYU to the Big East?

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2012/5/23/3039156/big-east-expansion-byu-air-force-realignment

Big East Expansion: BYU Or Air Force Likely To Join, According To ReportMay 23 2:34p
by Jason Kirk

The Big East stands at 12 football members, with the Navy Midshipmen set to port in 2015. Along the way, they've tried to add the other two service academies, with Army delivering a flat no and the Air Force Falcons never really giving a final answer that we know of. So, naturally, enter BYU Cougars news out of absolutely nowhere -- BYU's name hasn't been connected to the Big East since November.

Philly.com's Keith Pompey:

Teams will play eight-game league schedules once the conference expands from eight teams to 12 in 2013. The conference is expected to grow to 14 teams in 2015. That's when Navy joins for football only. Brigham Young or Air Force is expected to join Navy, according to multiple sources at the spring meetings.

Air Force would enter with three automatic rivals in Boise State, Navy and San Diego State, but BYU might be the best get the Big East could hope for, perhaps even better in the long term than Boise State. However, the Cougars would have a lot to give up in order to join the league, having just decided to go independent

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 03:55:05 PM »
One day, we could well find ourselves back in Conference USA, just this time it'll be called the Big East.

Maybe that was the plan all along?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 05:09:36 PM »
How profitable is their football program?  Do their fans travel well?  I know basketball makes a ton, so there has to be a weakness somewhere for their value added for the Big 12 to be so low.

If the Big 12 had fallen apart, there would have been even more teeth gnashing over the way that Kansas, Kansas State and Iowa State were getting screwed.

First off, you're right...and in general there are going to be A LOT of schools getting screwed when all this is over (Duke, you getting nervous a bit?)

I just meant it more as the fact that Louisville has been sitting patiently doing everything right (hey, at least they're open about wanting to leave the BEAST) and just waiting for the Big XII to get stable so they can be added (after being passed over for WVU) and just when it seems like its there time BAM...Florida St comes out of nowhere and Louisville is pushed to the side in favor of every school in the ACC (even though I know Kansas and KState would LOVE to have them).

I don't know if Louisville travels or what not, but they do make more than every school currently in the Big 12 except for Texas and Oklahoma (16th nationally). So I have a hard time buying they don't add enough value.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 05:12:43 PM »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 07:32:51 AM »
I say divide the ACC (since it has the stupidest name anyway!) between the Big 12, the SEC, and the BEAST

NEW BEAST SCHOOLS
Boston College
Virginia
Va Tech
Maryland

NEW SEC SCHOOLS
MIAMI
FSU
Wake
Clemson

NEW B12 SCHOOLS
NC State
Duke
UNC
G-Tech

I guess we could be nice and let Pitt and Cuse back into the BEAST.

:-P

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 09:16:24 AM »

It doesn't make a difference how profitable a program Louisville is anyway.  What makes a difference is how profitable Louisville's membership can make a conference.  And the answer is "not much," when compared to the "Big Four" conferences.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 09:17:38 AM »
First off, you're right...and in general there are going to be A LOT of schools getting screwed when all this is over (Duke, you getting nervous a bit?)

I just meant it more as the fact that Louisville has been sitting patiently doing everything right (hey, at least they're open about wanting to leave the BEAST) and just waiting for the Big XII to get stable so they can be added (after being passed over for WVU) and just when it seems like its there time BAM...Florida St comes out of nowhere and Louisville is pushed to the side in favor of every school in the ACC (even though I know Kansas and KState would LOVE to have them).

I don't know if Louisville travels or what not, but they do make more than every school currently in the Big 12 except for Texas and Oklahoma (16th nationally). So I have a hard time buying they don't add enough value.

They did everything right...except bring eyeballs to a television set.  And that is pretty much what counts first and foremost.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 11:30:27 AM »

They did everything right...except bring eyeballs to a television set.  And that is pretty much what counts first and foremost.

I think they bring more than people are giving them credit for. I'm just getting so sick of the idea that nobody watches college football games (ya know, that thing that everyone says rules everything and is unstoppable and get the greatest ratings ever, even more than marquee basketball games!) unless its Alabama, USC, Texas, ND, Florida, Ohio St, etc.,  

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 11:37:45 AM »
I say divide the ACC (since it has the stupidest name anyway!) between the Big 12, the SEC, and the BEAST

NEW BEAST SCHOOLS
Boston College
Virginia
Va Tech
Maryland

NEW SEC SCHOOLS
MIAMI
FSU
Wake
Clemson

NEW B12 SCHOOLS
NC State
Duke
UNC
G-Tech

I guess we could be nice and let Pitt and Cuse back into the BEAST.

:-P

I think the Big 10 would add schools also. They are not going to stay at 12, with the others going to 16. I think Maryland and Notre Dame end up in Big 10 and maybe two others.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 12:46:51 PM by bilsu »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 12:12:11 PM »
I think they bring more than people are giving them credit for. I'm just getting so sick of the idea that nobody watches college football games (ya know, that thing that everyone says rules everything and is unstoppable and get the greatest ratings ever, even more than marquee basketball games!) unless its Alabama, USC, Texas, ND, Florida, Ohio St, etc., 

The networks, and therefore the conferences, know their audience better than you or I do.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2012, 12:18:58 PM »

You must not live on the East Coast.

No matter... college football only thrives (relatively speaking) in the Midwest and the South, and Louisville - unfortunately - can't decide if it's North, South, East or Midwest.  Not to be esoteric here, but there are many more desirable markets/universities than Louisville when it comes to the demographics that are most valuable to college football producers.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2012, 03:15:45 PM »

The networks, and therefore the conferences, know their audience better than you or I do.

By "networks" do you mean ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN the Ocho?

Im not even arguing that there aren't better schools to grab (FSU, Clemson, Miami, GaTech, Va Tech, etc.,) but that ESPN is skewing the market for themselves. Look at the ACC deal and tell me it makes sense - the first reaction of many was that it looked like a deal that assumed Florida St and Clemson would no longer be in the ACC (it doesn't actually get to $17 million until like year 9!).

So yeah, the networks do know their audiences better, but they know the games they want  to broadcast even more.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 03:17:55 PM by Aughnanure »