'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Bradley Center Naming  (Read 8221 times)

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
Re: Bradley Center Naming
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2012, 10:09:40 AM »
23 years old, built to last.
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2012, 10:10:45 AM »
There's also a long-shot of the NBA just contracting the Bucks. Stern has mentioned this multiple times and it would make some sense just to make Milwaukee a Chicago market.

Seattle, KC, LV, Nashville, Europe, contraction, are all long-shots, but if a stadium is not built in the next 5-10 years, Kohl has passed away/sold the team, and the Bucks continue to bleed money, they won't look like long-shots anymore. The BC is just not a viable NBA arena with player costs. The NBA would just focus on bigger markets than lose money on Milwaukee.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2012, 10:22:08 AM »
A team not likely to leave? If it wasn't for Kohl this team would be gone in the next two years. Now Kohl is getting up there is age and willing to sell the team. When he does, the new owner will want a stadium or will bolt.

There's two things being debated:

Do the Bucks NEED a new stadium? Absolutely. They will not be here in 5-10 years without one. The cash flow just isn't there with the BC even when the Bucks are good. There will be other cities looking to attract a new team...Seattle, Vegas, and, a long shot, Stern is really pushing Europe over the next decade.

I agree, and for me, this is the inherent problem. I don't feel like the NBA (or pro sports in general) have done a good job managing their overhead, and now they want municipalities to provide them with additional revenue streams so they can make more money. That just doesn't sit well with me.

Is it worth it for Milwaukee to build a stadium? This is extremely debatable since all the benefits aren't really measurable. Will revenue to bars, shops and restaurants around the BC go way down without the Bucks? How much is free name placement on ESPN every night worth it? Does a city become more marketable if people are familiar with the city name due to sports teams? Would Milwaukee become a Tulsa/Alburueque second-level type of city without the Bucks/Brewers?

Another area to look at is income tax. How much does milwaukee/WI get just from the players salaries?

Perfectly stated. There are probably studies that will say it's worth it, and some say it's not. Hard to calculate the economic impact as well as the emotional impact. Sports teams are rallying points for a community. You may hate somebody's politics, but if you are both wearing Bucks hats, you have something to gravitate to. Politics can divide a city, sports can unite it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2012, 12:07:10 PM »
There's also a long-shot of the NBA just contracting the Bucks. Stern has mentioned this multiple times and it would make some sense just to make Milwaukee a Chicago market.

Seattle, KC, LV, Nashville, Europe, contraction, are all long-shots, but if a stadium is not built in the next 5-10 years, Kohl has passed away/sold the team, and the Bucks continue to bleed money, they won't look like long-shots anymore. The BC is just not a viable NBA arena with player costs. The NBA would just focus on bigger markets than lose money on Milwaukee.

I'd say its a very long shot.  With revenue sharing taking effect soon, teams shouldn't bleed as much money.

Having said that, I'd let the revenue sharing kick in for a couple of years and see how things go.  Then reevaluate.