[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by cheebs09
[Today at 04:00:16 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Summer Movies 2012  (Read 7531 times)

reinko

• All American
Summer Movies 2012
« on: May 03, 2012, 12:46:26 PM »
Anyone looking forward to any in particular?  Avengers, Dark Knight Rises, and a late entry to my summer list, Prometheus which I just saw a trailer for.  WOWZA!

If you haven't seen it yet, check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sftuxbvGwiU

swoopem

• All American
Re: Summer Movies 2012
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 02:39:24 PM »
Ted looks funny
Bring back FFP!!!

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 03:04:12 PM »
Anyone looking forward to any in particular?  Avengers, Dark Knight Rises, and a late entry to my summer list, Prometheus which I just saw a trailer for.  WOWZA!

If you haven't seen it yet, check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sftuxbvGwiU

All of the above.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

nyg

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 03:17:53 PM »
Prometheus is the prequel to the "Aliens" series.  How it all started, so if you liked Aliens, see this one.  Directed by Ridley Scott who did the first Aliens and should be seen in an IMAX.  Also looking forward to Battleship in IMAX. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
I like to think of myself as a bit of an amateur movie buff. Here's my list from May-September:

Dark Shadows, Prometheus, Safety Not Guaranteed, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, Seeking a Friend for the End of the World, The Amazing Spiderman, Ted, The Dark Knight Rises, Neighborhood Watch, Ruby Sparks, The Bourne Legacy, Total Recall, The Campaign, Lawless, Killing Them Softly, Looper.

Most of these have trailers. Movies run from Michael Bay type blockbusters to more indie films.  Interestingly enough, there have been no "big" studios releasing any other movies on TDKR weekend - they're expecting huge record breaking numbers with that one.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 03:45:28 PM »
I like to think of myself as a bit of an amateur movie buff. Here's my list from May-September:

Dark Shadows, Prometheus, Safety Not Guaranteed, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, Seeking a Friend for the End of the World, The Amazing Spiderman, Ted, The Dark Knight Rises, Neighborhood Watch, Ruby Sparks, The Bourne Legacy, Total Recall, The Campaign, Lawless, Killing Them Softly, Looper.

Most of these have trailers. Movies run from Michael Bay type blockbusters to more indie films.  Interestingly enough, there have been no "big" studios releasing any other movies on TDKR weekend - they're expecting huge record breaking numbers with that one.

What, no chick flicks?

No one gets laid after taking a date to a movie about Abraham Lincoln.
Have some patience, FFS.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 03:59:17 PM »
What, no chick flicks?

haha. Seeking a Friend... and Ruby Sparks would both fit in the category of "couples" movie.

Wait, Lincoln doesn't turn the chicks on?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 04:08:59 PM »
haha. Seeking a Friend... and Ruby Sparks would both fit in the category of "couples" movie.

Wait, Lincoln doesn't turn the chicks on?

From some of the newer scholarly works out there, there is speculation that he was more into dudes.
Have some patience, FFS.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 08:12:01 PM »
What, no chick flicks?

Read the book. Panty dropper.

w0bbie

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 08:56:39 AM »
Prometheus is the prequel to the "Aliens" series.  How it all started, so if you liked Aliens, see this one.  Directed by Ridley Scott who did the first Aliens and should be seen in an IMAX.

This is picking nits, but it was bothering me as a big fanboy of Alien.  Alien was directed by Scott, while Aliens (the first sequel) was directed by James Cameron and, despite picking up Ripley's story right where the original ended, there is a pretty large disconnect between the two.  Most notably, Aliens is an action movie, while Alien was horror.  Based on the director and the shear number of allusions to Alien they packed into the trailer, I'm expecting something much more in the same tone as the original.  The plot will almost certainly only tie in with the original.  So it should be for fans of Alien, but not necessarily those who prefer Aliens, Alien 3, Alien Resurrection, or (especially) AVP.

/end rant

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 09:12:05 AM »
Really excited for the Avengers tonight.  Not expecting cinematic greatness, but a movie that delivers exactly what it promises:  well thought out action and cinematography, a fair amount of comedy, and a plot that moves quickly. 

nyg

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 09:20:34 AM »
This is picking nits, but it was bothering me as a big fanboy of Alien.  Alien was directed by Scott, while Aliens (the first sequel) was directed by James Cameron and, despite picking up Ripley's story right where the original ended, there is a pretty large disconnect between the two.  Most notably, Aliens is an action movie, while Alien was horror.  Based on the director and the shear number of allusions to Alien they packed into the trailer, I'm expecting something much more in the same tone as the original.  The plot will almost certainly only tie in with the original.  So it should be for fans of Alien, but not necessarily those who prefer Aliens, Alien 3, Alien Resurrection, or (especially) AVP.

/end rant

Picking, yeah but I get it.  Believe most posters who read it understand what I meant but thanks for clarifying.

Loved Alien and Aliens was one of the most frightening movies I have ever see.  I actually liked AVP.  I am a big special effects movie guy and just enjoy how the Digital Domain/IMG personnel put these effects in the film.  Transformers, Lord of the Rings, etc. are just mind boggling when it comes to special effects.  Saw John Carter and it was not very good, but special effects were insane.  That is why I see those films in an IMAX theater. 

Here is the extended trailer for Prometheus, enjoy.

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/prometheus/feature-international-trailer

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 09:37:06 AM »

/end rant

Nothing better than seeing a movie before  an important plot point gets spoiled for you. I saw "Alien" the night it opened.  Had no clue that a horrible little space monster was going to pop out out of the guy's chest, and that scene was terrifying.  Same thing for "E.T.".  Spielberg had kept E.T.'s  appearance a huge secret before the movie came out, so when Elliot brushed aside the cornstalks and saw E.T. for the first time, it was a shock to me as well.

Now if I had only seen "The Crying Game" on opening weekend.....
Have some patience, FFS.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 02:31:49 PM »
The Expendables 2.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 03:48:11 PM »
Killer Joe looks like it should be good.   trailer looks pretty good. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxpvzmvFHTM

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 06:01:17 PM »
From some of the newer scholarly works out there, there is speculation that he was more into dudes.

Hard hitting empiricism unearthed by the same C.A. Tripp who argued that Ralph Kramden and Ed Norton were homosexual lovers?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 06:03:32 PM »
Hard hitting empiricism unearthed by the same C.A. Tripp who argued that Ralph Kramden and Ed Norton were homosexual lovers?

I thought that was Eddie Murphy.    "Hey Norton!   I've been watching you....."
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 06:40:19 PM »
I thought that was Eddie Murphy.    "Hey Norton!   I've been watching you....."

T'was. I just ran with it.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2012, 04:03:44 PM »
The Expendables 2.

I heard there is an amazing chase sequence involving Hoverounds.
Have some patience, FFS.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2012, 07:36:03 PM »
I heard there is an amazing chase sequence involving Hoverounds.

Gay!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2012, 08:41:18 AM »
Ted looks fantastic.

Avengers was very good, though if you haven't, I'd recommend at least watching one of the Iron Man movies, Captain America, and Thor before seeing it. Cautiously optimistic for Dark Knight. I've already given up on them staying true to the DC storyline (they screwed that up bad enough in the first one) but they've made for good movies. However, I think to thirds in superhero movies...Batman Forever, Spider-Man 3, X-Men 3, Superman 3...they just don't generally go well.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2012, 09:07:26 AM »
Ted looks fantastic.

Avengers was very good, though if you haven't, I'd recommend at least watching one of the Iron Man movies, Captain America, and Thor before seeing it. Cautiously optimistic for Dark Knight. I've already given up on them staying true to the DC storyline (they screwed that up bad enough in the first one) but they've made for good movies. However, I think to thirds in superhero movies...Batman Forever, Spider-Man 3, X-Men 3, Superman 3...they just don't generally go well.

I  never understood how Batman Forever was ever related to Batman and Batman Returns.

The movies went from good outside realism, to just a complete waste of over imagery and stupidity. It was apparent it was only made to sell toys.

Joel Schumacher can die in hell for that movie.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2012, 09:36:03 AM »
Nothing better than seeing a movie before  an important plot point gets spoiled for you. I saw "Alien" the night it opened.  Had no clue that a horrible little space monster was going to pop out out of the guy's chest, and that scene was terrifying.  Same thing for "E.T.".  Spielberg had kept E.T.'s  appearance a huge secret before the movie came out, so when Elliot brushed aside the cornstalks and saw E.T. for the first time, it was a shock to me as well.

Now if I had only seen "The Crying Game" on opening weekend.....

+1

I had no idea Prometheus was an Alien prequel. Would have loved to have seen it without that knowledge. Oh well.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2012, 12:06:29 PM »
Bevause I am a Salmon/Steelheader i took the Better Half to see  Salmon Fishing in Yemen. It is a witty,well acted British romance film. Many funny lines and i managed to stay awake for the fishing scenes.
Sorry no car chases,explosions or prominent breasteses but enjoyable summer fare. We're big fans of "small movies"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2012, 08:39:52 AM »
Ted looks fantastic.

I also give "Avengers" two thumbs up. For the record, the only related movie I had seen before that was the first "Ironman".  He is  still my favorite out of all of them.  Gotta love a smart-ass superhero.  Plus the fact he spends a good part of the movie wearing a Black Sabbath T-shirt is a cute little in-joke.  Sorry...forgot to say "spoiler alert".
Have some patience, FFS.

feedback