[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MUBB, athletics and academics, etc.  (Read 50204 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: MUBB, athletics and academics, etc.
« Reply #250 on: May 01, 2012, 09:38:28 AM »
Lets be honest, one incident got a lot of attention which then made local news sources interested in peeling back the onion.....however a lot of incidents happened under Crean too, he was just much better at smoothing those things over than Buzz is apparently.  Once you get enough attention on the local level the national stuff will pick up on it....besides how much did ESPN actually cover the issue.  Plus, and I know this has been debated ad naseum, but MU's inept PR capabilities at a minimum didn't help and may actually have made all this worse than it could have been.

I wouldn't say that the PR capabilities are inept... every time MU does something positive, I hear about it in an email, newsletter, magazine, etc.  In that respect, I think they do a good job; however, the problem is that MU apparently doesn't have any damage control practitioners on staff.

Everyone wants to spread rays of sunshine, but when the brown hits the fan, nobody wants to clean it up.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #251 on: May 01, 2012, 10:52:31 AM »
I wouldn't say that the PR capabilities are inept... every time MU does something positive, I hear about it in an email, newsletter, magazine, etc.  In that respect, I think they do a good job; however, the problem is that MU apparently doesn't have any damage control practitioners on staff.

Everyone wants to spread rays of sunshine, but when the brown hits the fan, nobody wants to clean it up.

Agreed
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #252 on: May 01, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »
From a college search site, what went on at Scranton while Fr. Pilarz was president.

...When the parties started to get busted up by the police it became very unsettling to him and every student on that campus. The police were using unnecessary means to catch the underage drinkers and according to him and his roommate the police were using tazors to ensure that running kids could not run. This is absolutely horrendous behavior on a college campus whose main goal, outside of the academics, should be to keep students safe. There were weekends when there were close to 100 underage citations issued according to him. Students were getting randomly breathalized on their way back to dorms and the overall feeling on the campus was miserable. There were dogs brought in to go through the freshman dorms to sniff out drugs and this too added to the overall feeling of things being out of control.
Goal is National Championship

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #253 on: May 01, 2012, 04:40:25 PM »
From a college search site, what went on at Scranton while Fr. Pilarz was president.

...When the parties started to get busted up by the police it became very unsettling to him and every student on that campus. The police were using unnecessary means to catch the underage drinkers and according to him and his roommate the police were using tazors to ensure that running kids could not run. This is absolutely horrendous behavior on a college campus whose main goal, outside of the academics, should be to keep students safe. There were weekends when there were close to 100 underage citations issued according to him. Students were getting randomly breathalized on their way back to dorms and the overall feeling on the campus was miserable. There were dogs brought in to go through the freshman dorms to sniff out drugs and this too added to the overall feeling of things being out of control.

Sounds like a wonderful environment in which to spend the best years of your life.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #254 on: May 01, 2012, 04:55:55 PM »

A little vague here.   Fr Pilarz was unsettled by the underage drinking or was unsettled by the SPD's response to underage drinking?    Was FR Pilarz on board with SPD?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #255 on: May 01, 2012, 04:58:39 PM »

Sounds like a wonderful environment in which to spend the best years of your life.

I'm assuming that post was supposed to be teal, right?

You know what I love about the interwebs?  That you can backtrack all of this laughable bulls*** like this posted above.  Also, this afternoon isn't too busy, so hell, let's do a bit of googling this story, which on it's face, anyone with common sense would know is in no way true.

So let's see here...apparently newsdrms cherry-picked the ONE NEGATIVE post, buried in a sea of other POSITIVE posts on this particular "College Confidential' message board (oh, and also cherry picked the quote, too.  How very STEVE DOOCY.)  OH, and they're all from one very bitter human being, whereas the positive reviews were from 4-5 pages worth of everyone else.

BUT I'm sure this account completely and accurately reflects Scranton.  And I'm sure Pilarz turned the place into the Post Apocalyptic Thunderdome hellscape laid out here.  I get it though, you all hate Pilarz and Williams, they're out to destroy MU basketball and turn it into SLU, yada yada yada.  Duly noted...AGAIN.

FYI, here is one of the LEGION of other positive, complimentary quotes about Scranton and Fr. Pilarz.  

...Son recently did overnight visit at Scranton.
While he was going to classes and doing the student thing, I gave myself an extensive tour off the standard tour path and these are my observations-
Faculty and students were friendly, nice, always holding doors and such. Facilities are in excellent order and pretty much spotless.
Many new building with 2 under construction - science center and new residence hall with 400 units and new fitness center.
The U. has spent about 190 million on new construction, upgrades and beautification. Was really looking up. They recently closed off 2 streets and made them part of the campus with walking paths. Gave the U more of a campus feel.
Student Center is 1.5 yrs old and really nice. Dining facility offered everything my kid eats and was good tasting. I did not go into the dorms but son told me Condron Hall was very spacious, and well planned. He loved the fact the cleaning service comes in 1x a week.
Overall he had a great experience, and it remains a leading choice for him.
Merit aid will have influence on decision as his other top 2 choices were Fordham and Loyola MD. Don't think he will get nearly as much from them and we will be in wait in see mode.
Heard the U. has 80 acres in Spring Brook, about 10 min. away with the plan to build athletic facilities (baseball, softball fields, new turf, lights, parking) with Phase I, possible starting in 2011. They are putting their money where their mouth is so I will give them that.
University President, Fr. Pilarz, will be leaving after spring 2011 for Marquette University. Looks like a nice promotion for him so the U looking for a new president.
Seems Pilarz was very proactive in pushing his agenda to upgrade the U and it's students. I liked the direction the U is headed and hopefully the master plan will not be effected much.
Spoke to random students. All seemed very content and happy with school and education.
Last, the City of Scranton. It is not NYC or Boston but then you are not in the country either.
I did drive the surrounding areas and beyond the 5-6 block radius it does get a little seedy and the economic down turn is more apparent in commercial and residential alike. I will say that this is the case for neighborhoods around many good schools.
Kind of reminded me a bit of Worcester but smaller. Holy Cross is in a residential area, U of S is walking distance to downtown, a small mall,
and a bunch of restaurants.
Security just got "Police" status and are now armed. Again, a wait and see how that works out. Should be a plus.
Overall, I was impressed with the people first and second, what they are doing to upgrade everything.
I would think in a short time they will be where Fordham is now and that the middle 50% admission mark will be climbing.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 05:05:28 PM by lab_warrior »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #256 on: May 01, 2012, 06:26:51 PM »

FYI, here is one of the LEGION of other positive, complimentary quotes about Scranton and Fr. Pilarz.  

...Son recently did overnight visit at Scranton.
While he was going to classes and doing the student thing, I gave myself an extensive tour off the standard tour path and these are my observations-
Faculty and students were friendly, nice, always holding doors and such. Facilities are in excellent order and pretty much spotless.
Many new building with 2 under construction - science center and new residence hall with 400 units and new fitness center.
The U. has spent about 190 million on new construction, upgrades and beautification. Was really looking up. They recently closed off 2 streets and made them part of the campus with walking paths. Gave the U more of a campus feel.
Student Center is 1.5 yrs old and really nice. Dining facility offered everything my kid eats and was good tasting. I did not go into the dorms but son told me Condron Hall was very spacious, and well planned. He loved the fact the cleaning service comes in 1x a week.
Overall he had a great experience, and it remains a leading choice for him.
Merit aid will have influence on decision as his other top 2 choices were Fordham and Loyola MD. Don't think he will get nearly as much from them and we will be in wait in see mode.
Heard the U. has 80 acres in Spring Brook, about 10 min. away with the plan to build athletic facilities (baseball, softball fields, new turf, lights, parking) with Phase I, possible starting in 2011. They are putting their money where their mouth is so I will give them that.
University President, Fr. Pilarz, will be leaving after spring 2011 for Marquette University. Looks like a nice promotion for him so the U looking for a new president.
Seems Pilarz was very proactive in pushing his agenda to upgrade the U and it's students. I liked the direction the U is headed and hopefully the master plan will not be effected much.
Spoke to random students. All seemed very content and happy with school and education.
Last, the City of Scranton. It is not NYC or Boston but then you are not in the country either.
I did drive the surrounding areas and beyond the 5-6 block radius it does get a little seedy and the economic down turn is more apparent in commercial and residential alike. I will say that this is the case for neighborhoods around many good schools.
Kind of reminded me a bit of Worcester but smaller. Holy Cross is in a residential area, U of S is walking distance to downtown, a small mall,
and a bunch of restaurants.
Security just got "Police" status and are now armed. Again, a wait and see how that works out. Should be a plus.
Overall, I was impressed with the people first and second, what they are doing to upgrade everything.
I would think in a short time they will be where Fordham is now and that the middle 50% admission mark will be climbing.

Sounds like a wonderful place in which to spend the best years of your life.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #257 on: May 03, 2012, 12:36:28 PM »
Dining facility offered everything my kid eats and was good tasting.

They must use SAGA

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #258 on: June 05, 2012, 02:52:25 PM »
Lenny - who does the name calling?

Maybe MadtownWarrior should change his handle to MadtownBadger.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #259 on: June 05, 2012, 02:55:58 PM »
Lenny - who does the name calling?

Talking about "verbal abuse" on a message board over the argument of Tinfoilers who believe Pilarz / Williams out to destroy the program versus the Sunshine Pumpers who claim all is okay with the program..

give me a break - you're a real (removed to not verbally abuse Lenny)...

« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 04:16:13 PM by madtownwarrior »

THEultimateWARRIOR

• Team Captain
« Reply #260 on: June 05, 2012, 04:01:53 PM »
lol