[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Interview with Steve Novak  (Read 3545 times)

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Interview with Steve Novak
« on: December 29, 2006, 02:35:24 PM »
One-on-One with Rockets Rookie Steve Novak
By Bill Ingram
Dec 29, 2006, 09:41

Steve Novak was an instant fan favorite in Houston this season. His ability to step in and drill open threes brought to mind Matt Bullard, who remains a cult hero to old-school Rockets fans. We caught up with Steve Novak recently to talk about Yao Ming's injury, his impression of the new ball and when it should be changed, his recent meeting with Jeff Van Gundy, and being away from his family (and the snow) for the first time this Christmas.

Steve, first of all you guys just lost Yao Ming for at least six weeks. How tough is that when he was playing so well and really dominating the league?

"Losing him is a blow - no question. We're going to have to go on. We know that. We have Tracy (McGrady) and Shane (Battier), but to lose a guy who's a leader, who works like he does every day, leads by example and leads vocally - to be without him day in and day out will be a hit, but we'll bounce back. Obviously the style we play will have to be a little bit different, too."

I know you didn't play with him last season, but it seems Yao has really turned his game up a notch this season. Jeff Van Gundy and Yao have talked about the taller guards being able to get him the ball has been a big factor. How much do you work on that in practice?

"That's something that was a challenge from the past. I've seen video of what they used to do and it wasn't as effective. We work so much on that now, and he's much better at keeping the ball high, controlling the ball and making good catches. I've always thought with him everyone has to understand the angles - that's not just on Yao. Rafer and the guys have to get the right angle, and when they're working on passing better and he's working on catching better clearly we've been a lot more successful."

You had a very early look at the new ball, having played with it in Orlando at the pre-draft camp. Does it seem strange to you that this issue took six months to really come to a head?

"Yeah, it really does. I had used what you would call the old ball in NBA workouts, but that's the only time I used it. In pre-draft and all that kind of stuff, camps, we used this (new) ball. It was a kind of a transition getting used to it. For me, coming out of college, it wasn't much of a change. I do find it kind of strange that we're just going to jump back to the old one like that, but I'm a first year guy so I don't have a lot to say about it. Hopefully we'll have some time to drill with them and break them in a little bit because there's not question that those balls, from the first time you use it to two months into using it's it's a completely different ball. I guess that's why I think it's funny. The ball will be worlds different after two months of using the other one."

Does it seem like it would be better to go ahead and finish the season using the new ball and then switch back when everyone can go through camp and preseason and get back into that groove?

"Yeah. I imagine it would. But it's definitely a veteran's league, so whatever they want should definitely go. I don't even know what they would say. I think a lot of them would say we should finish the year with the ball we have now because it's such a drastic change. The balls do feel very different. That's why they don't like this ball and do like the other one."

Moving on, you broke the rotation early in the season, but now you've fallen out of it again. What has coach told you in terms of what it will take to get back onto the court during meaningful times of games?

"Right now it's just me working and proving that I can be out there every day. We did have a meeting and I asked him what I need to do to get on the court. He basically gave me some very specific offensive and defensive goals. I'll definitely continue to work on those things and I feel confident I can do those things. I definitely feel that when I'm on the court I can help the team, but for now it's in his hands so I'll just continue to work and be ready when he calls my name."

Is there a group that you feel more comfortable running with, whether it's in practice or in game situations?

"You know, I can't say there is. Now we pretty much play with the same group - first team/second team. In the beginning it was changed up a lot depending on the day, depending on who was playing the hottest, who was passing the ball well, who was shooting the ball well, but I can't say there's one specific five. I remember one night we were losing to the Lakers by like 25 and us five came in and boom - we just clicked. All of us were making shots, making the extra pass, rebounding, and on that night it was definitely that team."

You've kind of become a cult hero in Houston, like the next Matt Bullard. Fans love to see you come into the game and love to cheer you on. Is there a Christmas wish or thought that you would like to share with them?

"Christmas is a very special time to me - a time when you get to be with your family and with people who you might not see very often during the year. For me this year is really different because I'm very far from home for the first time, so it feels weird this year. For me it's always been a snowy, cold time with family and one of my favorite times of the year. I miss the snow. Only on that day I miss the snow. But that's what it's always meant to me. A nice time with the family."

A lot to be thankful for this year?

"Oh, always. As long as you're healthy and your family's healthy - God has definitely blessed me and my family and my teammates in so many ways. It's been a very good year. Obviously with Yao Ming going down we'll definitely want to keep him in our thoughts and prayers. It's going to be hard on him and the organization for a little while."

We certainly wish Steve and the Rockets the best as they work through the tough weeks ahead without Yao Ming. The present may be a little bleak, missing both snow and Yao, but Steve Novak promises to give fans plenty of reason to cheer for years to come in Houston.

TomW1365

• Team Captain
Re: Interview with Steve Novak
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 04:26:40 PM »
Knicks' Steve Novak on Dancing, Jeremy Lin

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/trending/post/_/id/770/knicks-steve-novak-on-dancing-jeremy-lin
I can't stand the Knicks, but this T-shirt is pretty sweet!

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 04:37:56 PM »
This might be the most impressive hoopin' of all time.  Has anyone topped five years and four months?

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 05:07:42 PM »
I wondered if people would actually scroll down past the interview from 2006 and get to the interview done today on ESPN's live chat.  I didn't realize Steve has continued to do the discount triple check since that game a few months ago.  I like it!

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 05:08:43 PM »
Have the Knicks tried to tie up Steve with a contract for next year yet?  I know he signed a 1 yr deal for the minimum
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 05:19:18 PM »
Novak lived next door to the Dos Equis guy when he was with the LAC. Important piece of Novak trivia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 07:18:15 PM »
I wondered if people would actually scroll down past the interview from 2006 and get to the interview done today on ESPN's live chat.  I didn't realize Steve has continued to do the discount triple check since that game a few months ago.  I like it!

Love Novak, but the schtick is borrowed and old. Kind of like when everybody stole the three-goggles. Steve needs to come up with something original.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 07:21:01 PM »
Love Novak, but the schtick is borrowed and old. Kind of like when everybody stole the three-goggles. Steve needs to come up with something original.

I agree. There must be something unique & creative he can use to celebrate his 3's. Fans in the Garden go nuts when he shoots so this is worth developing. The belt belongs to Rodgers. Novak should contact the Dos Equis guy and work out something interesting.