Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: From The Scoop Archive: 2 Year Old Post Saying Anthony Davis Is Not A BE Player  (Read 3812 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
I was searching for something else and stumbled across this

Dated May 1, 2010
Title: Anthony Davis (from Chicago) Emerging 2011 Post
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=20402.0

Some highlights (no names to protect the innocent)

per Telep.... 2011 Post ANTHONY DAVIS is about to emerge as a new name for High Majors to follow/target. (not a "banger" body)
DT's report has Davis impressing tonight in Indy

I really liked what I saw out of Jamari Traylor in that video clip.  Even though he doesn't have the size of Davis it looks like he was a bit more coordinated and powerful and could really build on an already decent high school frame.

that highlight video is pathetic....
for a few reasons, its from about 3 games? I didn't watch the whole thing
neither of those guys are BE players.

it looked liked they were playing against a jv team and no one taller than 6'1"

all i had to judge him from was that video, I can do all the things just as impressively if not more so than him in those videos.
I was trying to say, that the video left me feeling like the guy wasn't that great.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
That was one guy, and you left out the part of his quote where he said he was wrong.

all i had to judge him from was that video, I can do all the things just as impressively if not more so than him in those videos.
I was trying to say, that the video left me feeling like the guy wasn't that great. I guess i was wrong, no reason for you to take offense to it.

LON

• All American
I was searching for something else and stumbled across this

Dated May 1, 2010
Title: Anthony Davis (from Chicago) Emerging 2011 Post
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=20402.0

Some highlights (no names to protect the innocent)

per Telep.... 2011 Post ANTHONY DAVIS is about to emerge as a new name for High Majors to follow/target. (not a "banger" body)
DT's report has Davis impressing tonight in Indy

I really liked what I saw out of Jamari Traylor in that video clip.  Even though he doesn't have the size of Davis it looks like he was a bit more coordinated and powerful and could really build on an already decent high school frame.

that highlight video is pathetic....
for a few reasons, its from about 3 games? I didn't watch the whole thing
neither of those guys are BE players.

it looked liked they were playing against a jv team and no one taller than 6'1"

I was trying to say, that the video left me feeling like the guy wasn't that great.

Maybe you should do a poll about it.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
hopefully whoever made that incredible talent evaluation still has his day job.  hope that wasn't his day job-did he draft greg oden?? ;D

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Maybe you should do a poll about it.

Ok, I will

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Well, since you brought old perdictions up, how about that guy who said the following about Gorgui Dieng?

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=20323.0

Let me be clear in what I'm saying above.  With the exception of Cothron (and I'm still not sure about him) I do not see Deing, Noreen or Gardner as big additions to next year's team.  They are all marginal recruits that would see limited playing time.  Maybe in two or three years they could develop, but we could also recruit over them next year as well.

Deing is no loss, Louisville has their Mbao.  Let's see how they develop him for the 2013 season.

Dieng is looking pretty good to me for the 2013 season.  Louisville's Mbao, really?

When I said the following;

Did I get carried away?  Probably, especially since Dieng and Samuels should be able to play together with Samuels (I'd think) moving over to the power forward position.  By February, I see Dieng getting 20 minutes a game.  My experience with this board leads me to believe that if he doesn't, I will be reminded of my prediction.  If he does, I probably won't hear a peep.

BTW, when I say "by February" I mean that starting in February he'll be getting his 20 minutes for the remainder of the season.  

I got this reply.

How many Freshman big men get 20+ minutes in the Big East?  Further, how many get more than 20+ minutes that are not McDonald's AA?  You have any idea how incredibly rare it is for an unknown foreign player to step in to a program like Louisville and get 20 minutes/game by February.  Other than Andrew Gaze 21 years ago for Seton Hall, tell me how many foreign big men were playing 20+ minutes a game by February of their freshmen year?  I don't believe Greg Monroe got 20 minutes/game last year (not foreign but a McDonald AA and arguably a top 5 recruit).  Thabeet certainly did not, Mutombo did not at G-town his freshmen year.  

Deing is not Patrick Ewing.  To suggest he can produce Ewing type numbers means you think he would have been the greatest recruit signed in MU history.  You think he has more upside than Lucas, Lee or Rivers.

3 minutes a game ... 5 when he stop embarrassing himself on the court.   He'll be a decent player his senior year.

Dieng ended his freshman season averaging 15.6 minutes a game.  The per game stats are no longer available, so I don't know if he started slow and ended up averaging 20 minutes a game at the end or if he averaged a steady 15+ minutes for the whole season.  Definitely more than the 3 to 5 minutes predicted.

The following comes from Tom Enlund's blog on 3/8/2012.
Louisville’s Gorgui Dieng blocked six shots against Seton Hall, giving him 104 for the season which breaks Pervis Ellison’s school single-season record of 102. It’s the 10th time this season that Dieng has blocked at least five shots in a game.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 04:37:52 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
That's a good find.

buckchuckler

• All American
Hooray! Personal vendetta's coming out in threads again.  I can never get enough of this.  Maybe someone can find a thread 8 years old, and call someone out.  I mean seriously, 2 years just seems a bit recent for this. 

wadesworld

• All American
Well, since you brought old perdictions up, how about that guy who said the following about Gorgui Dieng?

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=20323.0

Dieng is looking pretty good to me for the 2013 season.  Louisville's Mbao, really?

When I said the following;

I got this reply.

Dieng ended his freshman season averaging 15.6 minutes a game.  The per game stats are no longer available, so I don't know if he started slow and ended up averaging 20 minutes a game at the end or if he averaged a steady 15+ minutes for the whole season.  Definitely more than the 3 to 5 minutes predicted.

The following comes from Tom Enlund's blog on 3/8/2012.
Louisville’s Gorgui Dieng blocked six shots against Seton Hall, giving him 104 for the season which breaks Pervis Ellison’s school single-season record of 102. It’s the 10th time this season that Dieng has blocked at least five shots in a game.

Cothron was also a top 60 recruit, and he also compared Davante Gardner to Youssapha Mbao based on recruiting rankings...

Oops.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

john31

Does anybody know how tall he was at the begging of his Junior year of High School? How tall was he at the end of his Junior year? The answer is 6'2 and 6'8, this guy wasn't on anybody's radar until AAU started after the High School hoops season his Junior year so you can understand how there could be a difference of opinions about a kid with what essentially amounts to a new body.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
They mentioned during the championship game that he had a growing spurt and went from a 6'2" guard to a 6'8" shot blocking forward.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
To be fair...Davis didn't turn out to be a BE player. He was a SEC player.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
To be fair...Davis didn't turn out to be a BE player. He was a SEC player.

But he was plenty good enough to play for any and all BE teams, so he was certainly BE caliber.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Tugg Speedman

• All American
He was actually NBA caliber coming out of High School

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
But he was plenty good enough to play for any and all BE teams, so he was certainly BE caliber.

But that wasn't what the original poster said. He just said Anthony Davis wasn't a BE player. He wasn't, and never became one. Maybe he had inside knowledge that he'd be headed to a SEC school.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but by the letter of what he wrote, he's technically correct about Davis.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.