collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Best Burger you ever ate  (Read 45910 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Best Burger you ever ate
« Reply #175 on: October 16, 2014, 09:29:15 PM »
Love the Wisco Burger.  I do agree that ordering the fries separately is annoying, but they are pretty good(Oscar's are better).  Also Oscar's has a better beer selection.

I have a friend that started a Burger of the Month club here in Milwaukee, where once a month he picks a supposedly good burger place and a date/time.  We all meet up, have burgers, beer, and good conversation and then score the burger.  Things like quality of add-ons, beer selection, and fries are judged as part of it.  Couldn't recommend it highly enough.

It's been really enlightening about what's good and not good about Milwaukee area burgers.  One big take away has been made to order.  The group that attends changes from month to month depending on availability but we've had anywhere from 4 to 12 people at places and a good spectrum of temperature preference.  The majority like medium, some medium rare and some well done(I don't get that but whatever).  The biggest knock every where we've been has been either a lack of consistency in cooking to order or not cooking it to order at all.  One place we went, we were all given a choice of pink or no pink, all 6 people choice pink and not one of us had any pink in our burgers.  Has anyone else seen this phenomenon?  Is it a fear of litigation, poor grill management, or just inconsistency of what medium is?  What brought this up was, at Jake's I've always had it cooked right, but the night we were there for our burger club half the table(12 people) got things cooked correctly the other half(all med-rare or med) had them overcooked.

I love this idea. Might need to steal it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #176 on: October 16, 2014, 10:35:25 PM »
How do 'all make the best burgers @ home?

Bring the meat to close to room temp, use a seasoned cast iron skillet (also salt the pan too), get it blazing hot, about hockey puck sized patties around 1/3 of lb., 80/20...3-4 minutes a side, finished a few minutes in 250* oven.

Toppings: the classic, good sliced american cheese, kosher pickles, yellow mustard, shredded lettuce, few red onions.  Toasted bun, that is not too big, but large enough to hold everything together.

Totally agree with the method. I use a cast iron pan on the grill side burner. I like a petty closer to 1/2 pound, and just let them rest. no need for the oven. Use homemade pickles, leaf lettuce, a tomato slice...and the bun is critical. Nothing manufactured. Gotta be fresh from bakery. Lately been partial to Sheboygan style hard rolls. Perfect size and texture.

On that note, bun is the biggest reason (among others) I am not particularly fond of jakes burgers. I think its rather average.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #177 on: October 16, 2014, 10:54:14 PM »
Anybody else eat the heart attack that is Solly's? Stick of melted butter on it and all, along with a chocolate malt?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #178 on: October 17, 2014, 12:44:17 AM »
Really, this whole thread and no one got this?  LOL.  Her response is fantastic.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8m-piAJd67s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8m-piAJd67s</a>

reinko

• All American
« Reply #179 on: October 17, 2014, 07:29:09 AM »
Totally agree with the method. I use a cast iron pan on the grill side burner. I like a petty closer to 1/2 pound, and just let them rest. no need for the oven. Use homemade pickles, leaf lettuce, a tomato slice...and the bun is critical. Nothing manufactured. Gotta be fresh from bakery. Lately been partial to Sheboygan style hard rolls. Perfect size and texture.

On that note, bun is the biggest reason (among others) I am not particularly fond of jakes burgers. I think its rather average.

Couple weeks ago, was making a burger, and didn't have any buns.  Substituted an extra large toasted English muffin, it was awesome.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #180 on: October 17, 2014, 08:18:10 AM »
I love this idea. Might need to steal it.

If you do, let me know, I can send you the scoring sheet...we just use google docs to keep track of everything
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ttheisen

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #181 on: October 17, 2014, 08:22:20 AM »
Really, this whole thread and no one got this?  LOL.  Her response is fantastic.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8m-piAJd67s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8m-piAJd67s</a>

That video is hilarious.  The Flea has good, but not great burgers.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #182 on: October 17, 2014, 01:35:11 PM »
Y'all need to go protein style, i.e. sans bun.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #183 on: October 17, 2014, 02:29:15 PM »
Y'all need to go protein style, i.e. sans bun.

You must have some gnarly chits

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #184 on: October 17, 2014, 02:58:32 PM »
Anybody else eat the heart attack that is Solly's? Stick of melted butter on it and all, along with a chocolate malt?

I ate at Solly's a couple of months ago for the first time in about 30 years.  Not nearly as good as I remembered.  There was so much melted butter on it that it fell apart when I tried to pick it up and left a lake of grease on my plate.  They need a much lighter hand with that.
Have some patience, FFS.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #185 on: October 17, 2014, 06:53:51 PM »
I ate at Solly's a couple of months ago for the first time in about 30 years.  Not nearly as good as I remembered.  There was so much melted butter on it that it fell apart when I tried to pick it up and left a lake of grease on my plate.  They need a much lighter hand with that.

That's why you get fries and soak up all the butter left over in them.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

reinko

• All American

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #187 on: November 20, 2014, 10:49:10 AM »
Bring back FFP!!!

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #188 on: November 20, 2014, 11:27:06 AM »
So base on this quote last year's list was virtually meaningless?  ;D

I’ve also come to a more definitive definition of my favorite type: simple. Many of the burgers on this list (we have seven holdovers we couldn’t possibly change, and 26 new entries)

dammit now I'm hungry except NOT for Solly's  :o
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 11:29:39 AM by Michael Kenyon »

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #189 on: November 20, 2014, 12:51:21 PM »
Here is a list of the top 33 burgers in the country. I haven't been to any of them

http://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/the-33-best-burgers-in-the-country-holeman-and-finch-au-cheval-husk-and-more?utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=syn&utm_term=web&utm_campaign=food

So far have had 3 (Both Chi and Solly's in MKE). Will have The Torch Bar while at the girlfriends families over xmas. Of the two Chicago, I will take Au Cheval. However, if you go there, try the fried bologna sandwich - it's tits!
But I like to throw handfuls...

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #190 on: November 20, 2014, 02:09:18 PM »
So far have had 3 (Both Chi and Solly's in MKE). Will have The Torch Bar while at the girlfriends families over xmas. Of the two Chicago, I will take Au Cheval. However, if you go there, try the fried bologna sandwich - it's tits!

is that the same as Soylent Green just using a specific body part?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 04:39:28 PM by Michael Kenyon »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #191 on: November 20, 2014, 04:14:46 PM »
Au Cheval's burger is outrageous.  I dont know what they do, but damn it works.

feedback