'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [GoMarquette.com] Statements From Head Coach Buzz Williams, AD Larry Williams  (Read 25438 times)

Goose

• All American
TJ
I do not think it great but think it is important. As long as Buzz is on same page with admin he should be able to run his program anyway he wants within this parameters. I was very worried that he would be handcuffed if he stayed and that makes it difficult for a coach.

Any boss of a company knows expectations and wants to be given flexibility in achieving the common goal. Buzz has brought together a group of kids from all over the country and made it work. Most important thing a coach can have is the ability to recruit kids they can coach.

lab_warrior

• All American
Yesterday = Buzz Williams is the Marquette basketball coach, and Larry Williams is the Athletic Director.

Today = Buzz Williams is the Marquette basketball coach, and Larry Williams is the Athletic Director.

Transfer of power?  Stronger position?  NOPE.

The Special Brew

• Walk-On
Yep. Two guys who won national championships. Wonder if those universities can survive?

Sure, they won national championships but at what cost? Paterno allowed a known pedophile on his team and around kids in his team's facilities and didn't report him. The university will survive and will be known as Pedophilia State.

Tressel...well, Tressel behaved as you'd expect an OSU football coach to behave.

Do you want that or do you want an exemplary program?

Goose

• All American
LabWarrior
My wife and I transfer power back and forth all the time. Our roles have remained the same by different days means different levels of power. Currently my power is diminished because my wife thinks I wasted three days worrying about MU ball.

TJ

• All American
TJ
I do not think it great but think it is important. As long as Buzz is on same page with admin he should be able to run his program anyway he wants within this parameters. I was very worried that he would be handcuffed if he stayed and that makes it difficult for a coach.

Any boss of a company knows expectations and wants to be given flexibility in achieving the common goal. Buzz has brought together a group of kids from all over the country and made it work. Most important thing a coach can have is the ability to recruit kids they can coach.
So that's why you want Buzz to "stick it to" the university you love.

I have no idea what really happened, so I'm not going to pretend I can take sides.  If Buzz thinks he should be able to do whatever he wants with no consequences, he's wrong and the administration should call him on it, even to the point of calling his bluff and letting him leave over it.  If the administration tried to handcuff his coaching ability without just cause, he should threaten to leave.  Since I won't know what really happened, and I suspect you won't really know the details either even if you do have a source, I don't know how I could so emphatically take a side as you have done since about 5 pm last night.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 09:44:15 AM by TJ »

Goose

• All American
TJ
I want MU to win at high level and believe Buzz is best chance for that today. If Buzz was reigned in due to fear of the unknown I think school would be wrong. If reigned in because of rule infractions I have no problem with that. If rule infractions that should be publicly known.

jpvegas

• Walk-On
I don't want Buzz "reigned" in.  I want him to work in tandem with the University President and Athletic director and remember there is a chain of command and he has to be accountable to his bosses.  i don't want to see Father Pilarz and Larry Williams at a press conference talking about some infraction and when being asked should Buzz be fired reply (ala The Ohio State University), "We hope Buzz doesn't fire us"

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
A little humor. Humor is needed especially after 97 pages of craziness
« Reply #82 on: March 28, 2012, 12:29:15 PM »
A little humor.  Humor is needed especially after 97 pages of craziness

Let’s psychoanalyze this press release for what it really is.  

To do this, we need the help of Geraldo Rivera and  Dr. Hasseldorf, author of "Hostage Terrorist, Terrorist Hostage: A Study in Duality."

Let us begin with the full text review of Athletic Director Larry Williams statement

“Coach Williams is a good man, great coach and I look forward to working with him in the coming years” Director of Athletics Larry Williams said.  “As we move forward, we want to make sure we stay focused on the rich history and core values that underpin this very unique program – among the elite in the nation – by continuing to emphasize our mission of remarkable success on the court and the classroom.”

Geraldo Rivera:  Dr. Hasselfdorf , on the surface, everything appears on the up and up.  Is there something more to this than meets the eye?  Shouldn't the Marquette faithful feel fantastic about this press statement?

Dr. Hasselfdorf:  Why, yes Mr. Rivera, there is much more that meets the eye.  We must go deeper into the analysis.  To get to the real meaning we must break this down piece by piece and examine every word

In the first part of the statement reads, "He is a good man, great coach"

Notice he said good man.  Why didn't he say he was a great man?  He’s only a good man, but a great coach?  Why not a great man and a good coach?  Or a great man and a great coach?  Why didn't he say the best coach since Al McGuire?  Or the best man since Gandhi?  Why good man and not goodwrench or goodbar?  Is this an unintentional misstep by AD Williams in the same way he butchers the names of top donors?  Or is there something more sinister going on.  A slap at Buzz Williams?

Geraldo Rivera:  I see.  I see.  What else can you tell us Dr. Hasselfdorf?

Dr. Hasselfdorf:   It is my opinion that Larry Williams and possibly Father Pilarz are suffering from Helsinki Syndrome.

Geraldo Rivera:  As in Helsinki, Sweden?

Dr. Hasselfdorf:    No.  Helsinki, Finland.  You see, their AD, Larry Williams, a Notre Dame graduate, is clearly out to destroy the Marquette program and wants to push Buzz Williams out of Marquette and into another program where he can recruit anyone he wishes without the university having any voice.  This is what Notre Dame graduates do.  The first hint of this diabolical scheme is based on his “good man, great coach” backhanded compliment toward your coach.  It is nothing more than that, a backhanded compliment.  Did I mention to you that he attended Notre Dame? Would you expect anything else?  He is likely a shadow agent brought in by a Georgetown man to destroy your program.

Now let’s look at the second part of the statement

"I look forward to working with him in the coming years"

Why did Mr. Williams say in the coming years?  Why didn't this graduate of Notre Dame say in the coming decades?  Why is AD Williams only giving Coach Williams a limited amount of years to be at Marquette in which to work with him?  It is because he is signaling to the Marquette faithful that he is unwilling to give Mr. Buzz decades in which to be the coach.  An outrageous slip-up that only my trained ear could catch.  He says he is looking forward to working with him.  He didn't say he appreciated working with him in the backward time they have shared together.  A clear trait of the Helsinki Syndrome.

Geraldo Rivera:  Well, ah, couldn’t coming years not also mean many many years, even decades?  Who says in the "coming decades" anyway?  That would presumptuous I would think and out of the realm of normal.

Dr. Hasselfdorf:    Listen, if I want your views on opening an empty Al Capone vault on national tv, I will ask for it.  Leave the psychoanalytic work of the destruction Mr. Williams is planning for his athletic department to me. If you still do not believe me, let us look at the last part of the statement for concrete evidence.

It reads "we stay focused on the rich history and core values that underpin this very unique program – among the elite in the nation – by continuing to emphasize our mission of remarkable success on the court and the classroom."

Did you see it?  Did you just see what he did?  Mr. Larry Williams, who went to Notre Dame for both undergraduate and law school, said a mouthful right there.  Let’s dissect

“we stay focused” -  Who is this we?  Larry Williams, you just got here. There is no we when it comes to you.  Your we we is in Portland and Notre Dame, not Milwaukee.  Do not forget that the non-Notre Dame graduating Williams put us on the map (not Al, or Hank, or Kevin, or Tommy).   Buzz put Marquette on the map. I read that on MU Scoop this is why I know. There is no we here.

“rich history” – A clear instance of transposition.  History rich, not rich history.  From what I understand, your AD Williams would like to take money away from Buzz and Marquette.  Doesn’t sound rich to me.  Sounds like rich is becoming history.

Geraldo Rivera:  Well, ah wasn't he talking about the history of the program?

Dr. Hasselfdorf:   "core values" – Isn’t Buzz Williams wife named Corey?  Core Values.  Corey Values?  What does Corey Value?  Don’t mess with Happy.  He could have said Essential Values and this would be a non-issue but he had to go there.  I think nothing more need to be said here.  Those Notre Dame bastards, subtle but bastards nonetheless.  Especially the bald ones.

Geraldo Rivera:  No.  Really?  Wait, what? I think you have it all wrong.  Dr. Hasselfdorf, Dr. Hasselfdorf….

Dr. Hasselfdorf:  "among the elite” – Among the elite?  Larry, MU isn’t Notre Dame.  MU strives to win games in the NCAA tournament.  MU is elite.  Among the elite screams Notre Dame basketball.  Past elite speaks Notre Dame football.  Never elite speaks of Wisconsin football.  Get with the program.

Geraldo Rivera:  OK. True.  Well stated.  I’m on board with that one.

Dr. Hasselfdorf:  “mission of remarkable success on the court and the classroom” – Did you see that one?  Notice anything?  It’s very subtle.  Let’s read it one more time.  “mission of remarkable success on the court and the classroom”   Did you see it?  He didn’t say “in the classroom” he said “and the classroom”   Ah ha!   What does AD Williams mean here?  I think we all know what he meant here.

In my diagnosis, this is a classic case of Helsinki Syndrome

Geraldo Rivera:  Dr. Hasselfdorf you have made me a partial believer but others I am sure you have convinced in full.   It is clear to me now that Buzz Williams has had his balls squeezed mightily by Larry Williams and Father Pilarz and they are still out to bring down this Marquette program and Coach Williams, despite this charade of a press release.  This good man, great coach.  No, this great man, great coach should not be treated like this by his superiors.  Why else would Marquette hire an Athletic Director from Notre Dame but to have him come in and slowly deemphasize athletics, gut the budget and bring them to the land of SLU basketball?  This is always the best way for him to get that next gig, the AD job at Notre Dame.  It is also clear that the millions MU spends on their recruiting budget, their overall program budget and Buzz Williams salary are just a façade.  A clearer approach to success should be modeled after the Northwestern basketball program and to recruit only players that Northwestern also deems acceptable.  Marquette fans, beware the Trojan horsemen that are Pilarz and Williams (ND grad, not the Buzzard)

I would like to thank our guest, Dr. Hasselfdorf, author of "Hostage Terrorist, Terrorist Hostage: A Study in Duality” for his analysis today on the Marquette Basketball press release and the true meaning behind these words.  This story is sure to bubble up again as the ball squeezing begins again in earnest in the coming years.  God Save the Queen.

"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

feedback