collapse

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by BLWarrior91
[Today at 08:41:56 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Everlasting Craptastical Mystery Thread  (Read 507925 times)

ATWizJr

• All American
Re: King reports Buzz had all but agreed on SMU job
« Reply #2750 on: April 18, 2012, 04:40:59 PM »
The issue is the accountibility of Buzz. He is not the boss. He does not run the University.
All coaches answer to the AD. But publicly calling the coach out is a very poor and IMO stupid approach by LW. It smacks of arrogance at a time when harmony, support and continuity are needed. Some tact would go a long way in smoothing things over.

warthog-driver

• All American
Re: The Everlasting Craptastical Mystery Thread
« Reply #2751 on: April 18, 2012, 05:09:36 PM »
The air and space museum in Tucson is pretty sweet.  couple of hogs there on display.

Is that the Pima Air Museum? Great collection of aircraft. I woould wander the yard if I had a few hours to kill. That's down near Fred Enke which is a sweet desert course we always played

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #2752 on: April 18, 2012, 05:52:04 PM »
All coaches answer to the AD. But publicly calling the coach out is a very poor and IMO stupid approach by LW. It smacks of arrogance at a time when harmony, support and continuity are needed. Some tact would go a long way in smoothing things over.

Calling out a coach in the local newspaper who has been the most successful coach of the university's flagship program since Al McGuire is idiotic.  What credentials does Larry Williams have that make him qualified to "help Buzz become a better coach?" 

If anyone can find anything similar - where an A.D., calls out a coach who is probably the best coach in the country under the age of 40, and overall probably a Top 10 desired coach in college basketball, who does not embarrass the university through his own personal conduct...I'd love to see an example of it.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #2753 on: April 18, 2012, 05:56:04 PM »
Calling out a coach in the local newspaper who has been the most successful coach of the university's flagship program since Al McGuire is idiotic.  What credentials does Larry Williams have that make him qualified to "help Buzz become a better coach?" 

If anyone can find anything similar - where an A.D., calls out a coach who is probably the best coach in the country under the age of 40, and overall probably a Top 10 desired coach in college basketball, who does not embarrass the university through his own personal conduct...I'd love to see an example of it.

That's the best and most important point.  He'd been on the job for about 6 hours before thinking he had all the answers and that his way was best.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #2754 on: April 18, 2012, 05:56:50 PM »
Ners. Regarding LW comments:  that isn't arrogant. All bosses want to improve their employees. My boss cannot do my job but if he said that he wanted to help me be better, I would be happy.

Re the media: fighting back would only make it worse. Believe me.

The only issue is that your boss wanting you to improve probably would not be done in such a public manner.  Can't imagine you'd really appreciate or want to work hard for a guy that just came in 90 days prior after you've produced banner results for 4 years...who (on an equivalent level) pulls the whole organization you work for together and publicly reprimands you and tells you you tie your tie too tight, etc.., and that he is going to help you be a better employee...yet he has never served in the capacity in which you work.  Keep in mind...you've produced better results than anyone in your same position over the last 40 years...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #2755 on: April 18, 2012, 05:57:10 PM »
I think this, Buzz HAD to let slip to some media that he was serously considering leaving, otherwise he'd have no leaverage NOW or in the FUTURE.  If Buzz and the media said this was nothing, how serious would MU take the next possible "Buzz to ?"

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #2756 on: April 18, 2012, 06:04:30 PM »

Buzz has never played D1 ball, but he has called out his own players, specifically Gardner even after Gardner plays well. Just sayin'.

In your opinion, are Larry's comment enough to make Buzz leave MU? What can/should MU do to keep Buzz? Should Pilarz consider firing Larry for his comments?

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #2757 on: April 18, 2012, 06:13:09 PM »
Buzz has never played D1 ball, but he has called out his own players, specifically Gardner even after Gardner plays well. Just sayin'.

In your opinion, are Larry's comment enough to make Buzz leave MU? What can/should MU do to keep Buzz? Should Pilarz consider firing Larry for his comments?
  Just sayin'?  Gardner was recruited by Buzz.  He's here  because of Buzz.  LW did not recruit Buzz. Buzz is not here because of LW and at this point may be here in spite of it.  Buzz is not his guy.  You may not like it, but, the program revolves around Buzz, not around the AD.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #2758 on: April 18, 2012, 06:22:57 PM »
  Just sayin'?  Gardner was recruited by Buzz.  He's here  because of Buzz.  LW did not recruit Buzz. Buzz is not here because of LW and at this point may be here in spite of it.  Buzz is not his guy.  You may not like it, but, the program revolves around Buzz, not around the AD.

OK, how about the guys Buzz didn't recruit and bitched out in practice? I think he had some sharp public comments about Acker as well, but I'd have to go back and look.

Again, Buzz is not this thin skinned, and IF LW's comments are what caused all of this, then maybe Buzz should've gone ahead and taken the SMU gig because this is never going to work.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #2759 on: April 18, 2012, 06:36:30 PM »

this King interview has no substance.  Is that what this whole thread was started on!?

Sadly, yes. But I don't think that horse will go back into the barn.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #2760 on: April 18, 2012, 07:09:55 PM »
OK, how about the guys Buzz didn't recruit and bitched out in practice? I think he had some sharp public comments about Acker as well, but I'd have to go back and look.

Again, Buzz is not this thin skinned, and IF LW's comments are what caused all of this, then maybe Buzz should've gone ahead and taken the SMU gig because this is never going to work.

It was working fine til the AD dissed him in public. Praise in public, criticize in private. Even the least tactful person in a high profile position, like a BE AD should have acquired this basic skill. He has been promoted beyond his ability and I hope his OJT does not cost us the best coach we have had in years.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 07:00:38 AM by ATWizJr »

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #2761 on: April 18, 2012, 07:12:10 PM »
2002 - A coach can call out players..it is what a coach does. It's one thing if this is the Barry Alvarez and Bret Bielima gig...where one has coaching skins o. The wall and hand selected his predecessor. Totally different in this scenario. Buzz is bigger than LW..way bigger..as are any top flight high major coaches in basketball or football. How many schools are going to try to hire Larry Williams away from MU?  What value does Larry Williams brig to MU?  Why r college basketball and football coaches the highest paid at universities??

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2762 on: April 18, 2012, 07:17:13 PM »
ATWiz
You are making big assumption that things were smooth prior to LW coming on board. He made stupid comments in the media but he is not the root of the problem. By now I think everyone understands that MU does not want a wild program, either on/off the court or in recruiting. It all comes down to control/power and Buzz is probably losing the fight.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #2763 on: April 18, 2012, 07:24:31 PM »
ATWiz
You are making big assumption that things were smooth prior to LW coming on board. He made stupid comments in the media but he is not the root of the problem. By now I think everyone understands that MU does not want a wild program, either on/off the court or in recruiting. It all comes down to control/power and Buzz is probably losing the fight.
Goose, IMO MU does not have a wild program. So, following your claim that Buzz is losing the battle, I can only hope that the admin sobers up before it reverses us to the pre-Crean era.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #2764 on: April 18, 2012, 07:32:24 PM »
Goose, IMO MU does not have a wild program. So, following your claim that Buzz is losing the battle, I can only hope that the admin sobers up before it reverses us to the pre-Crean era.

Just from reading between the lines of a lot of posts here, I get the feeling that they really wouldn't mind that, if it kept MU off the front page of the Trib.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #2765 on: April 18, 2012, 07:39:19 PM »

Just from reading between the lines of a lot of posts here, I get the feeling that they really wouldn't mind that, if it kept MU off the front page of the Trib.
well, then, that's the problem. And those who agree, after Buzz is run off don't complain about reverting to high mid major status.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #2766 on: April 18, 2012, 07:39:32 PM »
Just listened to the King interview on ESPN.

No substance. None what so ever.  Nada. Zilch.  Zippo.

Did your hear that Durley has a 195 mph fastball?

I appreciate Goose and Sultan's (and others), who have friends, relatives, lovers, spies, moles, and confidants that walk the campus and pick up pieces of intel to share with us.

Keep sharing.  However, this King interview has no substance.  Is that what this whole thread was started on!?

Help me Mr. Wizard (for you younger folks, look it up).

Here we go again.  No facts.  Some talking head on ESPN is doing what he is paid to do...throw out some comments, and see what sticks.

Is there any coincidence that King's comments were made in the same time frame of Brown considering the LSU job?  Not sure yet how to connect all the dots yet, but something kinda smells.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #2767 on: April 18, 2012, 07:56:42 PM »
It was working fine til the AD dissed him in public. Praise in public, criticize in private. Even the least tactful person in a high profile position, like a BE AD should have acquired this basic skill. He has been promoted beyond his ability and I hope hos OJT does not cost us the best coach we have had in years.

IF those comments are what drives Buzz away, then fine, he should go. I'll help him pack.

Truthfully, I don't think that this is the problem because buzz has worked for dozens of egomaniac head coaches over the years, so I'm sure he can handle this type of thing.

Quotes in the paper aren't going to run Buzz off. He's a tough hombre.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2768 on: April 18, 2012, 08:00:25 PM »
Here is where you lose me.

I don't think Buzz is that thin skinned, nor do I think LW comments were as bad as people make them out to be. I cannot imagine that is the reason Buzz would leave to take the SMU job.

If Buzz is really that thin skinned, then he really should move on. Buzz has said things far more harsh about his own players.

I can't believe you keep repeating this mantra. Of course Buzz wouldn't leave over a couple of comments (no matter how douchie) by LW in the newspaper. Those comments are just a reflexion of a work environment that's deteriorated from ideal to not so hot in the past year for Buzz. This started before LW arrived.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #2769 on: April 18, 2012, 08:04:08 PM »
2002 - A coach can call out players..it is what a coach does. It's one thing if this is the Barry Alvarez and Bret Bielima gig...where one has coaching skins o. The wall and hand selected his predecessor. Totally different in this scenario. Buzz is bigger than LW..way bigger..as are any top flight high major coaches in basketball or football. How many schools are going to try to hire Larry Williams away from MU?  What value does Larry Williams brig to MU?  Why r college basketball and football coaches the highest paid at universities??

Fine, but what is MU supposed to do? Buzz has to have a boss. He has to be accountable to SOMEBODY at SOME POINT, right?

You don't like Larry. Fine. Should it be Pilarz directly? What if they have "issues"? Should Buzz report to the Pope?

Buzz is VERY VALUABLE to MU, but just about every person in the world has a boss and is held accountable for their performance.

What is MU doing/saying that Buzz doesn't like? From the outside looking in, MU appears to have provided him with a lot, and in turn, he has been very successful.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #2770 on: April 18, 2012, 08:06:42 PM »
Hey - just heard that LW is pissed that Buzz took that last of the coffee and did not make a new pot...   

let's discuss for 10 pages of comments...

this thread is as ridiculous as my comments...

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #2771 on: April 18, 2012, 08:07:53 PM »
I can't believe you keep repeating this mantra. Of course Buzz wouldn't leave over a couple of comments (no matter how douchie) by LW in the newspaper. Those comments are just a reflexion of a work environment that's deteriorated from ideal to not so hot in the past year for Buzz. This started before LW arrived.

I'm not focused on the quotes.

That just seems to be the smoking gun that everybody is using to blame MU for why Buzz would consider leaving. Everybody uses that as some sort of stone cold proof.

I just don't see it.

MU appears to have done a lot of things right with hoops lately, and have supported Buzz financially. When/where is all of the deterioration coming from?

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #2772 on: April 18, 2012, 08:16:54 PM »

That just seems to be the smoking gun that everybody is using to blame MU for why Buzz would consider leaving. Everybody uses that as some sort of stone cold proof.

I just don't see it.

MU appears to have done a lot of things right with hoops lately, and have supported Buzz financially. When/where is all of the deterioration co
Oh no 2002. Let's not bring guns, esp. Smoking ones into it now!! (This is sarcasm)s sarcasm)

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #2773 on: April 18, 2012, 08:49:42 PM »

I just don't see it.

MU appears to have done a lot of things right with hoops lately, and have supported Buzz financially. When/where is all of the deterioration coming from?

The MU that has done a lot of things right with hoops lately, is largely no longer around - as in Father Wild, Bill Cords, and Steve Cottingham.  This is a whole new administration, and it smells more like the DiUlio regime than the Wild regime...

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #2774 on: April 18, 2012, 08:57:09 PM »
it smells more like the DiUlio regime than the Wild regime...

God help us

feedback