Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 5 years before you judge a coach  (Read 9956 times)

tower912

• All American
5 years before you judge a coach
« on: March 17, 2012, 07:19:11 PM »
Can we safely dispense with the 5th year and make a judgement now?    Great coaching job by Buzz.   Great effort and hustle by Murray St.   But Buzz took their 3 pt shooters off of their spots.    Best defensive job I have seen from a Buzz-coached MU team.    Way to go, Buzz. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUMac

• All American
Re: 5 years before you judge a coach
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 07:21:41 PM »
Nope.  Have to wait until next year.  That is the tell tale.  An "expert" told us that.

BenCat12

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 07:24:37 PM »
I knew the first year that Buzz was the "right guy."  All of the big three, plus Lazar and Burke improved dramatically when Buzz took over.  While I am not a Crean ''hater'' I would take Buzz over him any day of the week. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 07:36:30 PM »
If you're still waiting for five years at this point, you might as well wait twenty.  The answer to the puzzle is right in front of us all.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 07:43:10 PM »
I made my judgement years ago.    ;D
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 07:47:45 PM »
A real diamond in the rough!

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 07:52:04 PM »
I knew the first year that Buzz was the "right guy."  All of the big three, plus Lazar and Burke improved dramatically when Buzz took over.  While I am not a Crean ''hater'' I would take Buzz over him any day of the week. 
Yep.  That is when I made my decision.  Watching how he coached those three.  The offense he ran.  The defense.  Stopping Lazar from committing the silly fouls that would keep him on the bench.

The final piece was when I heard from some people about how the Amigo's felt about Buzz.  Particularly Wes.  How they were happy with the change and would do anything for Buzz.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 08:00:34 PM »
Best defensive job I have seen from a Buzz-coached MU team.    Way to go, Buzz. 

Most amazing part is we did it on national TV!

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 08:16:29 PM »
Sure hope he doesn't burn out. His voice sounded awful after the game.  I marvel at how big time college coaches handle it.  From having to kiss some 15 year old kid's ego to bat sh:t crazy fans to scheduling the right set of cup cakes, to dealing with with behavior problems of college aged men, to lane violations.  I'd be an alcoholic.
Ludum habemus.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 08:18:51 PM »
Sure hope he doesn't burn out. His voice sounded awful after the game.  I marvel at how big time college coaches handle it.  From having to kiss some 15 year old kid's ego to bat sh:t crazy fans to scheduling the right set of cup cakes, to dealing with with behavior problems of college aged men, to lane violations.  I'd be an alcoholic.

Bob Huggins: Thank you...Finally someone sees my side of things.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 08:19:48 PM »

Apparently Mike Deane figured the same!

Is the hiring process still flawed as well?!?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 08:23:56 PM »
Apparently Mike Deane figured the same!

Is the hiring process still flawed as well?!?

Yes, you need to bring a bunch of mid-major coaches in for interviews.  How they answer your questions means more than what you see in front of your eyes.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 08:37:16 PM »
Whoa, anyone see Buzz on TBS game break?  All choked up about his wife/kids, etc.  dude needs a long nap.  With the snoring aide thingy.
Ludum habemus.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 08:42:53 PM »
A real diamond in the rough!

Not in the rough, I would say.  Maybe a few years ago, but today Coach Buzz is in the middle of the freeking fairway!   ;D
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 08:45:58 PM »
Whoa, anyone see Buzz on TBS game break?  All choked up about his wife/kids, etc.  dude needs a long nap.  With the snoring aide thingy.
I kinda agree. Somebody needs to talk to him and get him some sleep.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 08:56:21 PM »
Not in the rough, I would say.  Maybe a few years ago, but today Coach Buzz is in the middle of the freeking fairway!   ;D
Pin high, 2' from the cup.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 08:56:37 PM »
People can judge Buzz as a coach whenever they wish, but I made my judgment last year, and it's been reinforced this year. Once upon a time, Buzz said he'd "stay as long as they'll have me." Well, I hope he retires here. Granted, not every day will be as joyful as this one was, but I'm confident there will be more good than bad, and more important, I'm confident we'll always be proud of who our coach is as a person and the kinds of young men he is developing.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2012, 08:59:57 PM »
He's an emotional coach.  Why would the PC be any different?  That doesn't mean he needs a nap.  He is and always will be emotional.  That is much of his charm.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 09:01:58 PM »
People can judge Buzz as a coach whenever they wish, but I made my judgment last year, and it's been reinforced this year. Once upon a time, Buzz said he'd "stay as long as they'll have me." Well, I hope he retires here. Granted, not every day will be as joyful as this one was, but I'm confident there will be more good than bad, and more important, I'm confident we'll always be proud of who our coach is as a person and the kinds of young men he is developing.

Well said, Brewcity.   :)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2012, 09:03:36 PM »
He's an emotional coach.  Why would the PC be any different?  That doesn't mean he needs a nap.  He is and always will be emotional.  That is much of his charm.

Did you see it?  I love the guy, but he clearly was exhausted.
Ludum habemus.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2012, 09:06:49 PM »
Did you see it?  I love the guy, but he clearly was exhausted.
Yes, I did.  He was choking up quite a bit as well.  He wears his emotions on his sleeve.  Not many coaches do.  Most are guarded in their comments and don't let you into their life.  That is what I love about Buzz.  It is also why he can look the way he does, as it is far different than any other coach.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2012, 09:11:36 PM »
I always believe in giving a guy a chance. One of the things I reality like about Buzz is he is not a Frank Martin type. By that I mean he does not scream in a players face.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2012, 09:14:29 PM »
He did sound pretty wiped out.

Think he'll retire after we win the national championship in a few weeks?  It's happened before.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2012, 09:15:33 PM »

Think he'll retire after we win the national championship in a few weeks?  It's happened before.

But it was announced before it all happened.

As far as this thread go, we won't get the opportunity to judge him after 5 years.  4 is all we get.  He's going to Illinois.  I mean, Texas.  I mean, Southern Illinois.  I mean...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 09:17:45 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2012, 09:37:48 PM »

Think he'll retire after we win the national championship in a few weeks?  It's happened before.

Have you shipped my complimentary Kreurig coffee maker yet?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"