[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: George Webb's Soup Schedule  (Read 4685 times)

MU82

• All American
George Webb's Soup Schedule
« on: March 01, 2012, 12:55:16 PM »
When I was a junior in 1980-81 living at the lovely intersection of Wells and 24th (VD clinic across the street; Dahmer just around the block), we routinely went to the Webb's at 27th & Wells to fill our stomachs with post-drink crud.

On the wall behind the counter, they had a sign reading:

SOUP SCHEDULE

Monday - Bean and Potato.

Tuesday - Bean and Ham.

Wednesday - Bean and Potato.

Thursday - Bean and Ham.

Friday - Bean and Potato.

Saturday - Bean and Ham.

Sunday - Bean.

As if that hadn't been hilarious enough, they never had any of those soups. They had Bean and Bacon every day!

Oh, how I wish I had figured out some way to steal that sign.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

copious1218

• All American
Re: George Webb's Soup Schedule
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 01:03:53 PM »
I want it to be known that I am not criticizing because I find this hilarious, but was there anything that prompted this thread?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 01:17:25 PM »
Yep, just had bean and bacon soup for lunch and it got me reminiscing!

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 02:15:06 PM »
They also had the "chicken flavored noodle" soup, also known to us as "nuclear noodle" because of the glowy green broth.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 03:37:33 PM »
Haha, that's really funny.

Makes me think about the Worst Webb's Ever, on the corner of 16th and Wells (now Qdoba).  It was usually staffed by 2 people after bar close, meaning it took about 45 minutes to get your food.  One night during this wait, a group of 3 hood rats (for lack of a better term) were next to me at the counter and we had the following exchange:

Hood Rat: How's your night baby?
Me: OK.
Hood Rat: You like to have fun?
Me: Sometimes.
Hood Rat: You know what they say, once you go black, you never go back.
Me: I'm pretty sure I'd go back.

Fortunately I didn't get stabbed.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 04:01:44 PM »
I was at a Webbs on 30something and national (or maybe greenfield).  It was across the street from where I got my hair cut.  About 3 in the morning the place was pretty busy.  Black guy  sitting at the counter next to us gets up to use restroom and puts his napkin over his plate. White woman waiting for to go order sits on his stool while he was gone.  He wasn't happy and said something to her about being an "ugly b#%^h".  She replies with "I may be ugly but you're a (N word).  He hit her like Mike Tyson fighting a toddler and she basically flew across the room.  Waitress calmly said "anyone who doesn't want to be here when the cops come pay and leave now."  I've never seen a place empty that quickly.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 04:06:09 PM »
I've got Webb stories but first I have to check on the statute of limitations

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 06:22:46 PM »
Door of Ardmore:  Live Dancing. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 09:44:33 AM »
When I was a junior in 1980-81 living at the lovely intersection of Wells and 24th (VD clinic across the street; Dahmer just around the block), we routinely went to the Webb's at 27th & Wells to fill our stomachs with post-drink crud.

SOUP SCHEDULE

Tuesday - Bean and Ham.

Thursday - Bean and Ham.

Saturday - Bean and Ham.

Sunday - Bean.

As if that hadn't been hilarious enough, they never had any of those soups. They had Bean and Bacon every day!

Whenever I hear today's students or parents complaining about campus or the urban environment or whatever, I take them back to the days of hookers, dilapidated buildings, West Hall, commuter parking under the old MU interchange, etc. I survived quite nicely, thank you.  Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 09:52:49 AM »
Whenever I hear today's students or parents complaining about campus or the urban environment or whatever, I take them back to the days of hookers, dilapidated buildings, West Hall, commuter parking under the old MU interchange, etc. I survived quite nicely, thank you.  Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

And the rats.  I remember seeing huge rats scurrying toward the trash containers outside the old Union. 
Ludum habemus.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 10:05:39 AM »

SOUP SCHEDULE

Tuesday - Bean and Ham.

Thursday - Bean and Ham.

Saturday - Bean and Ham.

Sunday - Bean.

I was more of an Ham 'n Egger gal myself.....
Have some patience, FFS.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 10:10:48 AM »
Makes me think about the Worst Webb's Ever, on the corner of 16th and Wells (now Qdoba). 

Some how no matter what time you went in, the workers were on a shift change.

10:09 PM Shift Change
11:51 PM Shift Change
1:19 AM  Shift Change
6:23 AM  Shift Change
8:47 AM  Shift Change

It would take forever to get food because of the shift change,

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 10:36:19 AM »
And the rats.  I remember seeing huge rats scurrying toward the trash containers outside the old Union. 

Absolutely.  I was a Building Supervisor at Brooks Union.  I remember them well . . . by name.

JD

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 01:01:59 PM »
Is it bad that I like there Chili?!

No teal....I'm being serious.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 01:11:51 PM »
Is it bad that I like there Chili?!

No teal....I'm being serious.

You would seriously pick theirs over Real Chili?

Are you an alum? Give me your address...I am coming over to your house and taking away your diploma.
Have some patience, FFS.

JD

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 01:14:27 PM »
You would seriously pick theirs over Real Chili?

Are you an alum? Give me your address...I am coming over to your house and taking away your diploma.

Lol, No its just 2 blocks away from my current residence downtown, so it's a convenient factor.  ;D
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 01:15:39 PM »
Webb's chili is good, but it's not Real.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 01:50:24 PM »
all the old Webbs by me are now Griddler Cafes   :(

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 02:09:50 PM »

Makes me think about the Worst Webb's Ever, on the corner of 16th and Wells (now Qdoba).  It was usually staffed by 2 people after bar close, meaning it took about 45 minutes to get your food.  One night during this wait, a group of 3 hood rats (for lack of a better term) were next to me at the counter and we had the following exchange:

That place was such a joke. 

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 02:41:19 PM »

Can't remember the last time I laughed this much at an anecdote about something that happened on campus. Thanks.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 02:44:02 PM »
I was more of an Ham 'n Egger gal myself.....

I'm old but one of my buddies was older and insisted that the Ham 'n Egger was called "The Buttery" in his day. I have no reason to doubt him.

Our "regular" post-boozing grub grabs were Real Chili freshman year (we lived at McCormick); Angelo's sophomore year (I guess we just got tired of Real Chili); Webb's junior year (again, we lived close by); and Ham 'n Egger/The Buttery senior year.

As for booze (not that anybody's asking): Gym Bar freshman year, especially for dollar-pitcher and quarter-tap nights; Lanche, Kernan's and State House sophomore year; Midgets, Harp & Shamrock and State House junior and senior years. We went to other places, of course, but those were the staples.

Not only did we live near Midgets (24th and Wells) as juniors, but it was kind of a cult bar, off the beaten path. I'm sure we felt so unique and grown-up going there. We got to know the owner, Frank, and his entire family well; I later played on Frank's son's softball team. Sadly, Frank died shortly after I graduated and then the bar burned down a few years after that.

Harp & Shamrock (21st and Wells) was a classic dive, also just far enough off campus for it to seem cool to us. They had Space Invaders about 3 years after that stopped being popular, a horribly warped pool table, darts (real, not electronic) and a jukebox that had 70s rock as well as Elvis, Sinatra, country, etc. They also had a great bartender, Dan, who worked pretty much every night. We'd put a fiver on the bar when we sat down and, three hours later, that same fiver would still be sitting there. He just about never took our money, so we'd leave it as a tip. The owner back then, Bernie, was one of the most bigoted men I've ever known. Trained his otherwise sweet dog to hate black people. We should have stopped going there because of that, but we were too young and stupid to think that way back then.

State House was at 13th and State, right near where the sketchy neighborhood started. We started going there some as sophomores because they had incredible MU game-night beer specials (I think it was a dime). One of my best friends then got hired as a bartender there and we mostly drank for free our junior and senior years. The owner and his wife loved us. On Sundays, they'd have free hot ham sandwiches for Packer games. My buddy would tend bar there till 3:30 a.m. on Saturdays -- sometimes, we'd stay until 5 or 6 a.m. for an "Olympics" of pool, Donkey Kong and darts. And then he'd have to haul his ass out of bed to serve us ham on Sunday mornings!

Wow. What memories. I wish I still had eligibility left!!!

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 05:38:27 PM »
Never hung at Toma's MU82?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2012, 08:00:08 PM »
Definitely went to Toma's many times. Wasn't a regular hangout for me and the rest of my band of goof-offs.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2012, 03:50:14 PM »
"George Webb's Soup Schedule" should be MU82's new screen name.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2012, 10:37:33 PM »
I'm old but one of my buddies was older and insisted that the Ham 'n Egger was called "The Buttery" in his day. I have no reason to doubt him.

Our "regular" post-boozing grub grabs were Real Chili freshman year (we lived at McCormick); Angelo's sophomore year (I guess we just got tired of Real Chili); Webb's junior year (again, we lived close by); and Ham 'n Egger/The Buttery senior year.

As for booze (not that anybody's asking): Gym Bar freshman year, especially for dollar-pitcher and quarter-tap nights; Lanche, Kernan's and State House sophomore year; Midgets, Harp & Shamrock and State House junior and senior years. We went to other places, of course, but those were the staples.

Not only did we live near Midgets (24th and Wells) as juniors, but it was kind of a cult bar, off the beaten path. I'm sure we felt so unique and grown-up going there. We got to know the owner, Frank, and his entire family well; I later played on Frank's son's softball team. Sadly, Frank died shortly after I graduated and then the bar burned down a few years after that.

Harp & Shamrock (21st and Wells) was a classic dive, also just far enough off campus for it to seem cool to us. They had Space Invaders about 3 years after that stopped being popular, a horribly warped pool table, darts (real, not electronic) and a jukebox that had 70s rock as well as Elvis, Sinatra, country, etc. They also had a great bartender, Dan, who worked pretty much every night. We'd put a fiver on the bar when we sat down and, three hours later, that same fiver would still be sitting there. He just about never took our money, so we'd leave it as a tip. The owner back then, Bernie, was one of the most bigoted men I've ever known. Trained his otherwise sweet dog to hate black people. We should have stopped going there because of that, but we were too young and stupid to think that way back then.

State House was at 13th and State, right near where the sketchy neighborhood started. We started going there some as sophomores because they had incredible MU game-night beer specials (I think it was a dime). One of my best friends then got hired as a bartender there and we mostly drank for free our junior and senior years. The owner and his wife loved us. On Sundays, they'd have free hot ham sandwiches for Packer games. My buddy would tend bar there till 3:30 a.m. on Saturdays -- sometimes, we'd stay until 5 or 6 a.m. for an "Olympics" of pool, Donkey Kong and darts. And then he'd have to haul his ass out of bed to serve us ham on Sunday mornings!

Wow. What memories. I wish I still had eligibility left!!!

You'll be happy to know that as of my graduation in 2008, Harp and Sham is still in business (not sure about currently). They open at 6 am for 3rd shifters so we'd go there if we were still up from the night before. Interesting crowd.

Anyone know how long Jim's Time Out has been around? They had $6 pitchers of Point Special as recently as 4 years ago. We spent a decent amount of time there senior year.