[May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What baseball team do you support?

Chicago Cubs
36 (28.8%)
Milwaukee Brewers
44 (35.2%)
Chicago White Sox
18 (14.4%)
Minnesota Twins
3 (2.4%)
Other
24 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 118

Author Topic: OT: MUScoop Baseball Demographic Breakdown  (Read 25284 times)

marquette09

• All American
Re: OT: MUScoop Baseball Demographic Breakdown
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2007, 11:15:05 PM »
I'm a diehard Cubs fan........and the Cubbies are playing pretty good ball here the last week and so are the Brewers.  I think its going to come down to the final month between the Cubs and the Brewers.  Could be interesting here at MU if that happens in September

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2007, 11:15:35 PM »
If you take a realistic look at the world, yes, it is more "acceptable" to make 'homophobic' remarks than racist or sexual remarks.

Not defending what Ozzie said, although Jay Marriotti is the biggest turd in sports journalism, but the word that Ozzie used is a commonplace term in sports.

Education should take precedent over the opinions of the masses.  Thankfully I don't live my life in accord to what they masses believe or think.(sometimes my thoughts are similar to or different than the masses by chance) 

I believe all are equally unacceptable.  I believe I am a pretty realistic person too.   

I'm curious ... how do you justify your enlightened position on a baseball manager's use of a derogatory term while at the same time supporting a university that belongs to one of the most anti-gay organizations in the world, one whose leader has labeled homosexuality as "a intrinsic moral evil"?
The two don't seem to mesh.

I commented in general about homophobia, racism, sexism.  I didn't comment on any baseball manager or their thoughts...just for the record.  But I can and would be happy to do so.  

Anyway, I can only go with what I believe in, and if my beliefs are strong enough to seek out dialogue, then I do so, and would do that in a block by block manner.  Many Jesuits at Marquette don't even hold the same opinions with one another.  Many faculty and many students don't hold the same opinions as some of their peers.  I know Tim Dolan and like many things about him and the work he does for others...but I do however disagree with him on several issues.  

You do the best you can with what you have.

Not everyone at MU is Catholic.  And, many theology classes cover many other religions.  More and more Catholic institutions are becoming more secular.  People can disagree or agree with that, a whole other topic, but it is true.  

Notre Dame's Catholic faculty dropped like a rocket the past few decades to name one example.  

The education and value of education takes precedent over beliefs in every Catholic Doctrine to many people.  I believe in the strengths of a Jesuit education.  And I treat every person individually that I come across, whether it is Fr. Wild or a random student.  

Just because I am at a Marquette board, doesn't mean I agree with every single thing the people at Marquette say or think.  ...because many of those people hold conflicting views with one another.  ...and even sometimes even within themselves.

I don't think it would be "right" or fair of me to label all Catholics the same, or all priests the same, or all Marquette students the same.....etc...  

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2007, 02:19:07 AM »

FWIW, I find it interesting that some North Side fans get up in arms over Ozzie's use of a derogatory term, yet spent more than a decade worshipping a wife beating/steroid injecting/bat corking outfielder. One man's saint is another man's scoundrel, I suppose.

That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. I am not a Sammy Sosa fan, I was never a fan even when he was on the Cubs but to accuse him of those things is ludicrious. Yes he corked his bat and it was a huge black-eye for the Cubs Organization, MLB and Sosa, he has not been the same since, but that and your despise for him does not excuse you calling him a wife beater or a steroid injector. Sosa has never so much as been indicted for steroid use, you can speculate all you want but his name has never even come up in any formal trial of any type. And a wife beater? no way. Please substantiate this

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2007, 08:11:56 AM »

That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. I am not a Sammy Sosa fan, I was never a fan even when he was on the Cubs but to accuse him of those things is ludicrious. Yes he corked his bat and it was a huge black-eye for the Cubs Organization, MLB and Sosa, he has not been the same since, but that and your despise for him does not excuse you calling him a wife beater or a steroid injector. Sosa has never so much as been indicted for steroid use, you can speculate all you want but his name has never even come up in any formal trial of any type. And a wife beater? no way. Please substantiate this

Spousal abuse:

"Problems dogged Sosa off the field as well. That winter, he was accused of viciously beating his wife after she refused to grant him a divorce. "

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/ballplayers/S/Sosa_Sammy.stm

Steroids:

You're correct that Sammy sosa has never been indicted for steroid use. Neither has Jose Canseco, Barry Bonds or any of the 16 players suspended by major-league baseball for testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs. I think whether someone has been indicted is irrelevant to the discussion.
If you want to believe Sammy Sosa's growth from a 185-pound speedster who hit 33 home runs in about 600 at bats in 1993 to a 235-pound hulk who hit twice as many dingers just five years later was all natural, thats your pergoative. If you want to believe it's mere coincidence that this amazing transformation occurred at the same time several other players - some of them admitted steroid users - underwent similar growth spurts, that's your choice. Perhaps it's all an unlukcy coincidence for Sammy. I tend to think not.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2007, 10:16:24 AM »
Frank Thomas, Albert Belle, Robin Ventura came up once in a deposition, but was later cleared.

Baseball in 90s-early 00s was steriods. Many players did it, it's in the past now though.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2007, 10:48:44 AM »
If you take a realistic look at the world, yes, it is more "acceptable" to make 'homophobic' remarks than racist or sexual remarks.

Not defending what Ozzie said, although Jay Marriotti is the biggest turd in sports journalism, but the word that Ozzie used is a commonplace term in sports.

Ozzie Guillen calling Jay Marriotti a "f*g" didn't have anything to do with sexuality. The word has taken on many meanings over the years. Even if Ozzie meant it in reference to homosexuals, that makes him tactless or insensitive, but not homophobic.
We Are Marquette

🏀

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2007, 11:11:19 AM »
It doesn't matter what it means now. "cute one" is a derogatory term against homosexuals, he used it, he's in the spotlight, he's a disgrace.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2007, 08:25:52 PM »
Very well stated Big Sky. Some of the friendliest fans I've met have been at conference tournaments in Louisville and Memphis in the last six years.

BTW Pakuni, there are some Cubs fans who absolutely despise Sosa, too. Count me among them.
GO WARRIORS!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2007, 10:25:15 PM »
#21 will never hang from a foul pole at Wrigley. Unless Jason Marquis finished out his career with 5 straight CY Young Awards.

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2007, 11:22:53 PM »
#21 will never hang from a foul pole at Wrigley. Unless Jason Marquis finished out his career with 5 straight CY Young Awards.

Just wait until the weather warms, and Marquis stops listening.  He couldn't work with Mazzoni nor Duncan...he is a matter of time.  So far he is living on borrowed time.  But that will change pretty soon. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2007, 11:54:15 PM »
I don't think you got the Sammy Sosa #21 to Marquis #21 connection on Cubs fans not happy with Sammy Sosa.

MUCHI814

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2007, 12:28:16 AM »
Not that I really trust Larry Rothschild or put that much faith in him, but he did express a lot of interest and clearly said that he wanted Marquis after working out with him in Florida.  I don't see Marquis keeping this pace, but you gotta think that Rothschild saw something in Marquis, maybe something that he could fix and Mazzone and Duncan couldn't.  Either way he was signed to be the Cubs 4th or 5th starter that could eat up innings and stay healthy...he's done that and way more.

MUCHI814

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2007, 12:32:42 AM »
Also, I don't really hate the Sox team that much, I don't really mind any of the players besides Pierzynski, but man Sox fans kill me.  I don't know what is it about them, but they have this certain arrogance to them that just really rubs me the wrong way.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2007, 10:36:30 AM »
It doesn't matter what it means now. "cute one" is a derogatory term against homosexuals, he used it, he's in the spotlight, he's a disgrace.

It's really unfortunate because Marriotti is a jagoff, not a cute one. Too bad Ozzie used the wrong descriptive nouns.
We Are Marquette

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2007, 10:45:19 AM »
I don't think you got the Sammy Sosa #21 to Marquis #21 connection on Cubs fans not happy with Sammy Sosa.

No, I know the connection, nd Cub fans lack of fandom for Sosa.  But I also know Cub fans were huge fans of Sammy don't call me Sam Sosa for many years. 

Marquis...to the other poster....I'll take the track record of Mazzoni and Duncan over Rothschild any day of the week.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2007, 11:59:15 AM »
How does it make Brewer fans feel they haven't played a team over .500 at the time of the game and only one of their opponents are now better than .500?

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2007, 12:08:26 PM »
Also, I don't really hate the Sox team that much, I don't really mind any of the players besides Pierzynski, but man Sox fans kill me.  I don't know what is it about them, but they have this certain arrogance to them that just really rubs me the wrong way.

Growing up in Illinois, I never had a problem with Sox fans, because the only one I ever encountered during my first 18 years of life was my grandma.

Even today, the only exposure I have to Sox fans is on Chicago sports radio.  I do sense a bit of revisionist history in their conversations.  It reminds me of many Badger fans who talk about Badgers sports like they have been one of the best programs in the country for their entire existence, simply ignoring virtually their entire existence before about 1990.

HansMoleman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2007, 01:58:54 PM »
How does it make Brewer fans feel they haven't played a team over .500 at the time of the game and only one of their opponents are now better than .500?
Hey, they've won the games they should have won.  Wish I could say the same for the Cubs.  It's a long season though.  Looking forward to an exciting division race.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2007, 02:06:15 PM »

Pretty good seeing as how they have the best record in the majors.  The Brewers don't make the schedule they just play the games on it.  Milwaukee is winning the games they are supposed to.  

Also, the Cubs haven't exactly played the roughest schedule either, 2 series against winning teams to the Brewers 1.  The difference is the Brewers have beat the bad teams on a regular basis while the Cubs have not.  

The upcoming schedule will show if the Brewers are for real or not: @NYM, @Phi, vs. Min, @LAD, @SD, vs. ATL.

I will feel pretty good if they go something like 4-2 or 3-2-1 in these series.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2007, 02:07:22 PM »
Guess we pretty much said the same thing Hans

CWSKeith

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2007, 06:20:59 PM »
Pakuni, those predictions were from the beginning of the season right?  These playoff predictors are updated everyday.  Last year when the Cubs played well in April, the playoff predictors said they would fall, which they did.  You can also check the predictions with both ELO and PECOTA.

Always nice to see another sabr fan around.  BP gets annoying at time, as some of the writers (in my opinion) tend to write with an arrogant tone, but I still love the work they do.  Ditto The Hardball Times.  Lots of good baseball blogs/sites on the net these days, that's for sure.

CWSKeith

• Starter
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2007, 06:27:13 PM »
One more thing--

As a Sox fan, can I dislike Ozzie not for the crap that comes out of his mouth, but for his in-game managing decisions?  Like, yesterday for example, intentionally walking Nick Punto and later in the game pitching to Justin Morneau with Jeff Cirillo on deck (although, to be fair, there were runners on first and second, but I'd still rather pitch to Cirillo with the bases loaded).  Or, worse yet, for his love of Scott Podsednik, quite possibly the worst everyday LFer in all of baseball?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2007, 07:11:42 PM »
That's fine with me Keith!  ;D

Eye

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2007, 09:19:56 PM »
I can honestly say I was happy with Sosa's overall play with the Cubs twice in 13 years, in 1998 and 2001. Sosa is the most one-dimensional BB player I've ever seen. He was as awful a defender and baserunner as I've ever seen. 66 home runs can be easily mitigated by missing about 132 cut-off men, misplaying about 132 fly balls and getting picked off about 132 times in the same season.
GO WARRIORS!

MUCHI814

« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2007, 09:27:22 PM »
Marquis...not bad complete game shutout

feedback