[Today at 08:13:27 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by Lennys Tap
[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Rebounding  (Read 2667 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Rebounding
« on: January 30, 2012, 11:36:58 AM »
Our achilles heal seems to be rebounding, especially offensive rebounding. I get so frustrated when were fighting for the ball while it seems to me the opposition seems to get three or four chances to score. I can remember Al had some undersized  teams but those guys just seemed to know how to get the ball and could they jump. This may be a dumb question but can rebounding be taught or is it that some players just have an instinct or natural ability to rebound?

lab_warrior

• All American
Re: Rebounding
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 11:42:27 AM »
I think it is a function of our defense, which is geared towards pressuring the ball and doubling the post, which makes us vulnerable to open 3s, and difficult to block out sometimes, BUT makes it hard to teams to get into the paint, and leads to lots of turnovers...  Risk-Reward type system.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 11:54:29 AM »
Our achilles heal seems to be rebounding, especially offensive rebounding. I get so frustrated when were fighting for the ball while it seems to me the opposition seems to get three or four chances to score. I can remember Al had some undersized  teams but those guys just seemed to know how to get the ball and could they jump. This may be a dumb question but can rebounding be taught or is it that some players just have an instinct or natural ability to rebound?

If we're on offense, I say let the other team score baskets for us, if they want.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 03:46:12 PM »
I think it is a function of our defense, which is geared towards pressuring the ball and doubling the post, which makes us vulnerable to open 3s, and difficult to block out sometimes, BUT makes it hard to teams to get into the paint, and leads to lots of turnovers...  Risk-Reward type system.

Agree with that, but we do seem to have some guys who just don't have great rebounding skills.  Butler sticks out in my mind as a guy who rebounded better than you would expect for his size.  Seemed to have a good sense of where a miss was likely to fall and was generally effective at getting position at that spot.  Crowder is probably the best at that now; hopefully Gardner and Wilson can improve in that area.  Some of our guards actually rebound their position fairly well, Vander in particular.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 04:28:32 PM »
hopefully Gardner and Wilson can improve in that area. 

i actually think gardner is a great rebounder considering he's not super quick and can't jump.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 05:27:53 PM »
i actually think gardner is a great rebounder considering he's not super quick and can't jump.

Depends on how you look at it I guess.  For a guy who is 6'8", 290 he is not a good rebounder.  For someone who is slow and can't jump, he is a good rebounder.  I love the guy but it seems like with his body he would be able to dominate the lane a little more than he does.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 05:57:28 PM »
Depends on how you look at it I guess.  For a guy who is 6'8", 290 he is not a good rebounder.  For someone who is slow and can't jump, he is a good rebounder.  I love the guy but it seems like with his body he would be able to dominate the lane a little more than he does.

But if you're 6'8", 290 you usually are going to be slow and unable to jump well.  Also, since Otule went down, Gardner is averaging over 6 rebounds per game in just over 23 minutes per game.  Otule averaged 4.4 rebounds per game in 17 minutes per game.  Crowder is the only one averaging more than that at 7.4 in 31 minutes per game.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 06:09:32 PM »
But if you're 6'8", 290 you usually are going to be slow and unable to jump well.  Also, since Otule went down, Gardner is averaging over 6 rebounds per game in just over 23 minutes per game.  Otule averaged 4.4 rebounds per game in 17 minutes per game.  Crowder is the only one averaging more than that at 7.4 in 31 minutes per game.

But since we are talking about DEFENSIVE rebounding Gardner's numbers are not that great.  He is averaging 3.1 defensive rebounds in that span.  Otule is a better DEFENSIVE rebounder.  Gardner is a better OFFENSIVE rebounder.  Especially since he gets a lot of his own misses.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 06:14:43 PM by MarquetteDano »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 08:18:50 PM »
But since we are talking about DEFENSIVE rebounding Gardner's numbers are not that great.  He is averaging 3.1 defensive rebounds in that span.  Otule is a better DEFENSIVE rebounder.  Gardner is a better OFFENSIVE rebounder.  Especially since he gets a lot of his own misses.

Not necessarily, no.  In the 7 games that Chris Otule played in this season (not including Washington, as he only played the first 2 minutes of that game), he averaged exactly 3 defensive rebounds per game (21 defensive rebounds in those 7 games).  In the 14 games since Chris went down and Davante took over the starting center spot, Davante has averaged 3.14 defensive rebounds per game (against tougher opponents, but with a slight increase of minutes, although with how Buzz subs with Jamil and Davante offense/defense a lot of times I would be willing to bet that Otule spent more minutes on the defensive end of the court than Davante does now.).  Overall, their defensive rebounding performance has pretty much been a push, and Davante has only been improving.  Hopefully as the season goes on he can get that up to something like 5 defensive rebounds a game or something.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 08:17:19 AM »
Not necessarily, no.  In the 7 games that Chris Otule played in this season (not including Washington, as he only played the first 2 minutes of that game), he averaged exactly 3 defensive rebounds per game (21 defensive rebounds in those 7 games).  In the 14 games since Chris went down and Davante took over the starting center spot, Davante has averaged 3.14 defensive rebounds per game (against tougher opponents, but with a slight increase of minutes, although with how Buzz subs with Jamil and Davante offense/defense a lot of times I would be willing to bet that Otule spent more minutes on the defensive end of the court than Davante does now.).  Overall, their defensive rebounding performance has pretty much been a push, and Davante has only been improving.  Hopefully as the season goes on he can get that up to something like 5 defensive rebounds a game or something.

Statistics are close, no doubt.  And earlier in the season Gardner was pulled on defense a lot giving him less chances for defensive rebounds.

However, I truly believe Chris is a better defensive rebounder.  Keep in mind that when Chris goes to block a shot (which unfortunately happens a lot since we get burnt off the dribble quite a bit) it puts him out of position for rebounds.  Gardner rarely is out of position in those cases.

feedback