[March 18, 2024, 11:12:52 PM]

A Basketball Renaissance 50 Years In The Making by DavidBoone2inchesTaller
[March 18, 2024, 10:25:35 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by JWags85
[March 18, 2024, 10:01:37 PM]

NIL legal update by GoldenEagles03
[March 18, 2024, 09:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: Vander disses Derrick Wilson for a slap of 5 on bench...  (Read 54994 times)

MUMac

• All American
Re: Vander disses Derrick Wilson for a slap of 5 on bench...
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2012, 03:32:18 PM »
I counted. It's about that.

Box scores tell so little about a performance. But you guys continue to use them. How about this? Against Wis, UW, LSU, Vandy,and Nova, that is 4 steals in 5 games against solid major conference competition. Great defense.
Give it up.  You counted and it's an approximate range?  Strange dude you are.  Your hatred for Vander really is telling.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2012, 03:35:49 PM »
Give it up.  You counted and it's an approximate range?  Strange dude you are.  Your hatred for Vander really is telling.

He's got a bad case with the evidence against him.  What else can he do?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2012, 03:41:04 PM »
Personally, I think Vander should have reached in so that Nova could have scored points with the clock stopped. Seriously?!?!

A little resistance would have been nice...you don't just give a guy a free pass to the baseline and slam with 28 seconds left in a 4 point game.  Go back and watch the replay...Van got burned hard by Pinkston..it was not a case of Vander not wanting to foul...got blown by with a head/shoulder fake and then a cross over to baseline...

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2012, 03:42:07 PM »
Never said you and ErickJD08 are not Warrior fans.  You hate Vander, no matter how well he plays his role on this team, or how good his overall stat line is.  Does he need to be better than 3-8 from the line.  Hell yeah, but that does not detract from his overall value.

I don't hate the kid. I give credit where credit is due. People need to take the blinders off. His role isnt to miss lay ups. If his role is to strictly play defense, he needs to stop driving. But that clearly isn't his role. It is frustrating to deal with blind fan bases. As a Bears fan, I remember the days of Orton and people claiming he had a great game with 180 yards passing, 0TDs and 1INT.

Blue did not have a solid stat line today. You can't have those TOs, low percentages, and no defensive stats and no double digit category and be considered a solid stat line. More importantly, when you watch him play, he continues to make the same mistakes game in and game out. That is the truth.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

🏀

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2012, 03:49:22 PM »
Was this directed at me??  1) WTF is a "cute one?"  2) WTF is "man hate?" 3) I'm known by some here as being a fanboy and Mr. Rose colored MU Glasses.  I start a thread criticizing a player and now ironically some of you who have called me fanboy, rose colored glass, now call me out for starting a negative thread pertaining to something MU basketball?  Wow.  The irony.  And man hate? (Proper usage marqptm?)  

I blame the Scoop censors for changing my words.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2012, 03:51:45 PM »

I think this is the year's winner for "grown men acting like middle-schoolers" thread of the year. And it's only January 1st!

YES SIR

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2012, 04:01:12 PM »
Dumbest thread ever.............. ::)

Offering to high 5 somebody who just messed up(and knows it) is usually not a good idea in sports.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2012, 04:08:04 PM »
SHEESH!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2012, 04:09:50 PM »
SHEESH!

Someone needs to make SHEESH Davante shirts.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 04:13:45 PM by marqptm »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2012, 04:11:46 PM »
Someone needs to make SHEESH Savants shirts.

Big SHEESH

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2012, 04:13:21 PM »
I'm sure others who watched saw Mike Kelly roll replay of Vander coming out of game and Wilson offering him a handshake/five..several times and Vander just ignored him...

If I'm Wilson, I pull Vander aside and tell him if I offer you a 5..several times and you blow me off 3 times...next time I'm gonna punch you in the mouth.  Which we all know Wilson could destroy Vander if it came to blows...

FWIW, my high school-aged son noticed him leaving Juan Anderson hanging early in the second half (even rewound to show me) the exact same way after making a positive play. Personally,  I worry more about his turnovers than his high-fiving.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 04:17:02 PM by CTWarrior »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2012, 04:15:27 PM »
Big SHEESH

If I get a new Macbook and pirate Photoshop this will be priority numbero uno.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2012, 04:23:14 PM »

Ha.  This again!!  Ignoring someone's defense

7 pts, 7 rebs, 4 assts, 3 TOs. 

Solid game.  Too many turnovers.

Weird thing about Blue, he always seems to have less TOs in the box score than I would have thought watching the game.  Sometime he gets the ball knocked away when he going up for a shot and I wonder if they just count that as a missed shot/blocked shot rather than a TO/Steal.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2012, 04:47:30 PM »
were best off when we can play vander, mayo and djo at the same time.  i thought junior was in for a good year, and he hasn't done squat.

d-wilson had 3 fouls in 6 minutes of play.  i think a lot of casual fans heard buzz say he was a good defender, and he appears to hustle when he's in the game, so people like him.  he constantly gets beat off the dribble and giving 3 fouls away today was a bad choice against a nova team that was struggling to score.

we'll be better off if vander can learn to play the point.  while he turns it over too often, he does create for his teamates.  if he can figure out how to do so without turning the ball over, he's our best bet at pg for the next 2.5 yrs...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2012, 04:49:03 PM »
I don't hate the kid. I give credit where credit is due. People need to take the blinders off. His role isnt to miss lay ups. If his role is to strictly play defense, he needs to stop driving. But that clearly isn't his role. It is frustrating to deal with blind fan bases. As a Bears fan, I remember the days of Orton and people claiming he had a great game with 180 yards passing, 0TDs and 1INT.

Blue did not have a solid stat line today. You can't have those TOs, low percentages, and no defensive stats and no double digit category and be considered a solid stat line. More importantly, when you watch him play, he continues to make the same mistakes game in and game out. That is the truth.

Your posts get more and more foolish each time.  Personally I would much rather have 0 steals and shut down a team's best guard than have 10 steals and the other team's best player go for 30.  Maybe that's just me though.  He helped to hold Dominic Cheek to 6 points and 2 rebounds on 2-10 shooting today.  AFTER today's came Cheek was averaging just over 12 points and 5 rebounds per game.  Meaning he was probably above 13 points per game going into today's game.  He cut his production into less than half of what he typically gives Villinova.  Give me that and 0 steals for Vander over 30 points and 10 rebounds for Cheek and 10 steals for Vander.

To whoever said "would your best defender get blown by on the dribble" or whatever (too lazy to go back and see who it was/the exact wording), really?  Lock down defenders never get beat off the dribble?  So no player should ever score on a team's best defender?  Did Bruce Bowen ever give up a basket?  Get beat off the dribble?  Well, he must not be a good defender/wasn't the Spurs best defender then.  As far as the bolded part...yes, let's just never have Vander step onto our offensive half of the court.  His role on this team is a defensive player.  No need to ever have him touch the ball on offense.  Come on kid.  You can do better.

Blue had a very solid stat line today.  Points, shooting percentage, and steals are not the only stats that are important.  Of course you can take a certain number of stats and just ignore the rest and make a guy look bad.  You could do that with anyone.  He could've shot 10-12 from the field, 9-10 from the line, had 40 points, 15 steals, and 0 rebounds and 0 assists and you would complain about how awful of a game he had because he had no rebounds or assists.  It's embarrassing what you're doing.

What do you have to say about his 7 rebounds as a guard?  His shutting down Cheek?  Nothing?  Just forget he did that stuff?  OK guys, forget anything good Vander does.  Then YEAH VANDER STINKS!  We can do that with anybody.  Forget that DJO scores a lot and hits a bunch of 3 guys...GOSH DJO is awful!  Why is he even on the defensive side of the court, that's not his role.

Come on kid.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 04:55:33 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2012, 04:55:41 PM »
were best off when we can play vander, mayo and djo at the same time.  i thought junior was in for a good year, and he hasn't done squat.

d-wilson had 3 fouls in 6 minutes of play.  i think a lot of casual fans heard buzz say he was a good defender, and he appears to hustle when he's in the game, so people like him.  he constantly gets beat off the dribble and giving 3 fouls away today was a bad choice against a nova team that was struggling to score.

we'll be better off if vander can learn to play the point.  while he turns it over too often, he does create for his teamates.  if he can figure out how to do so without turning the ball over, he's our best bet at pg for the next 2.5 yrs...

I think Wilson has been living off his performance against Jordan Taylor.  I think he is a fine defender, but not the defender that some people here are suggesting.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2012, 04:57:42 PM »
This thread has gotten ridiculous.  Vander is a competitor and was busy being upset at himself for missing some free throws.  No big deal.  When I used to be a goalkeeper I sure as hell wouldn't have slapped anyones hands after conceding a corner kick with the game still in question, even if I made a sweet save to do it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2012, 05:02:45 PM »

Buzz post-game said that he is implementing High Five drills for every practice.  He did a stat deep dive and found that by keeping elbows straight and in form, FT shooting percentages improve as well.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 05:14:12 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

mu89

• Starter
« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2012, 05:06:58 PM »
This thread has gotten ridiculous.  Vander is a competitor and was busy being upset at himself for missing some free throws.  No big deal.  When I used to be a goalkeeper I sure as hell wouldn't have slapped anyones hands after conceding a corner kick with the game still in question, even if I made a sweet save to do it.

apples and oranges.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2012, 05:12:48 PM »
It didn't help that the announcers called Blue out for this incident.  Keep in mind, Mike Kelley, the announcer, is a Madison grad.  I admit, I was questioning his behavior.  Sultan had it right in the game thread...it was no big deal.

In hind sight, he was probably pissed he missed his free throws.  If that's the case, he gets credit for understanding the significance missing those shots.

I, for one, was getting a little bit uncomfortable at that point in the game....with the memory of the Vandy game still lingering.  

Having a whole thread for this topic is overkill.  I thought it was discussed enough in the game thread....ad nauseum (sp?).

Bottom line...Happy New Year and congrats on opening up the 2012 BE season with a win.

Let's go beat piss out of Gtown on Wednesday!

Go Warriors!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 09:50:03 AM by real chili 83 »

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2012, 05:14:38 PM »
Nothing to this!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2012, 05:46:32 PM »
My four-year-old left me hanging today after I scored a goal in basement floor hockey.
 The little f@%& has always been a punk and lousy teammate.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2012, 05:52:27 PM »
The complaint about lack of steals is hilarious. The announcers pointed out how Cheek gets a lot of steals but also get burned all the time going for them. Like when he blew by Junior who got the ball from Jamil, drove and kicked to DJO for 3.

I didnt see Vander cause that today for Nova.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2012, 05:57:25 PM »
Your posts get more and more foolish each time.  Personally I would much rather have 0 steals and shut down a team's best guard than have 10 steals and the other team's best player go for 30.  Maybe that's just me though.  He helped to hold Dominic Cheek to 6 points and 2 rebounds on 2-10 shooting today.  AFTER today's came Cheek was averaging just over 12 points and 5 rebounds per game.  Meaning he was probably above 13 points per game going into today's game.  He cut his production into less than half of what he typically gives Villinova.  Give me that and 0 steals for Vander over 30 points and 10 rebounds for Cheek and 10 steals for Vander.

To whoever said "would your best defender get blown by on the dribble" or whatever (too lazy to go back and see who it was/the exact wording), really?  Lock down defenders never get beat off the dribble?  So no player should ever score on a team's best defender?  Did Bruce Bowen ever give up a basket?  Get beat off the dribble?  Well, he must not be a good defender/wasn't the Spurs best defender then.  As far as the bolded part...yes, let's just never have Vander step onto our offensive half of the court.  His role on this team is a defensive player.  No need to ever have him touch the ball on offense.  Come on kid.  You can do better.

Blue had a very solid stat line today.  Points, shooting percentage, and steals are not the only stats that are important.  Of course you can take a certain number of stats and just ignore the rest and make a guy look bad.  You could do that with anyone.  He could've shot 10-12 from the field, 9-10 from the line, had 40 points, 15 steals, and 0 rebounds and 0 assists and you would complain about how awful of a game he had because he had no rebounds or assists.  It's embarrassing what you're doing.

What do you have to say about his 7 rebounds as a guard?  His shutting down Cheek?  Nothing?  Just forget he did that stuff?  OK guys, forget anything good Vander does.  Then YEAH VANDER STINKS!  We can do that with anybody.  Forget that DJO scores a lot and hits a bunch of 3 guys...GOSH DJO is awful!  Why is he even on the defensive side of the court, that's not his role.

Come on kid.

Kid?
Get real. You mention a stat line that would read 40 point 12 steals and 0 rebounds and assists. Read my post. I said that if you have poor shooting, no steals, turnovers, and no double figure stats, that is not a good stat line. How is that ridiculous?

And what game were you watching? Blue did not shut cheek down. Cheek shut cheek down. He put himself on the bench with fouls. He only played 20 minutes.

You really don't read my posts. My posts always talk about Blue being a solid defender and a great athlete. But he is really really bad on offense. Think about this. I would say that JC is better on offense than Blue. I remember JC came in off of injury his freshmen year and was terrible on offense. Then sophomore year it was very clear that he was improving week to week as he got more minutes. I think JC is a solid PG and the offense runs pretty well when he is in the game. Now look at Blue. He played ALL of last season and if anything, he was regressing as the season progressed. And now this season, he has the same bad habits. And it seems like he is regressing again.

I agree with posters that say something like "If you can't see that Blue is a good defender, I can't do anything for you." With that said, if you can't see that bad things happen when the ball is in his hands more often than not, I can't do anything for you. With the ball in his hands, we see TOs, blown lay ups, blocked shots, and kick outs that force the offense to reset. And these things we see are not limited to today's game. It happens every game since he has worn a MU uni. I know what progress looks like. We all saw it with JC. The progress we are seeing with Blue is very marginal at this point. I just hope something just clicks with him and he turns his offensive game around.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 01, 2012, 05:59:07 PM »

I think Wilson has been living off his performance against Jordan Taylor.  I think he is a fine defender, but not the defender that some people here are suggesting.

3 fouls in 6 minutes really hurts the team...nova played too much of the game in the bonus, which puts a great deal of stress on the other players to not foul.  he also gets beat of the dribble often, which is something many mu players have happen to them, but vander has that problem much less than anyone on the team.  i really don't see an upside to d-wilson.  hope i'm wrong, but it doesn't seem like he'll ever be able to contribute on the offensive end.  

feedback