[March 18, 2024, 11:12:52 PM]

A Basketball Renaissance 50 Years In The Making by DavidBoone2inchesTaller
[March 18, 2024, 10:25:35 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by JWags85
[March 18, 2024, 10:01:37 PM]

NIL legal update by GoldenEagles03
[March 18, 2024, 09:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: Tom Crean to Northeastern?  (Read 15326 times)

🏀

• All American
Tom Crean to Northeastern?
« on: April 13, 2007, 11:14:08 AM »
Todd Townsend took a job with Northeastern University. Maybe TC will be hired as a manager. ::)

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
Re: Tom Crean to Northeastern?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 11:28:52 AM »
Did Todd get the job??? I can't find a story on it yet.
But I like to throw handfuls...

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 11:38:08 AM »
He got it. No story yet.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 11:39:49 AM »
I knew he was up for it. And if he got, good for him. It is a step up.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 01:20:20 PM »
I can't wait for the nutjobs on the Journal Sentinel site saying Crean drove him off.

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 01:37:37 PM »
Not just the J-S site, but on here as well.

Good for TT.  Assistants leaving to take promotions is the sign of a well-respected program.

Guys don't stay assistants for twenty years any more like Guthridge or Raymonds.  Again, a few of the posters on this board need to realize that the college basketball landscape is different than in 1977.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 01:48:20 PM »
I have no idea what happened with Townsend...good for him...but if you guys think all of our assistants leave every year because of better opportunites you're delusional.

Assistants leaving every single year after only a year or two of service is not a sign of a healthy program. It's a sign that the head coach is a pain in the ass.

The only question is who will be next to go...Seltzer or Sichting. I believe it will be a photo finish, with Seltzer getting out the door just ahead of Sichting.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 02:33:43 PM »
You can't hold Townsend leaving as an example of Crean "running off" assistants.   Clearly, guys like Wardle, Harris, and him were just trying to get a break into the coaching world after playing at MU .. a position was created (Dir of BBall Ops) and they filled it to get something on their resume .. doesn't hurt to have a top 25 BE team on there.

Time will tell for the other guys.  Sichting knew what he was getting in to, so I don't see him leaving any time soon, unless another nice NBA job opens.  Even if that does happen, NBA assistants gotta make much better coin than college guys.  Couldn't blame anyone for jumping at that.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 02:38:48 PM »
I have no idea what happened with Townsend...good for him...but if you guys think all of our assistants leave every year because of better opportunites you're delusional.

Assistants leaving every single year after only a year or two of service is not a sign of a healthy program. It's a sign that the head coach is a pain in the ass.

The only question is who will be next to go...Seltzer or Sichting. I believe it will be a photo finish, with Seltzer getting out the door just ahead of Sichting.

PRN....I still think you will find this article interesting

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=maisel_ivan&id=2784634

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 03:22:42 PM »
Yes, I read that article when you posted it before. It is interesting.

A quick check of some other basketball programs reveals:

Florida's top assistant has been with Donovan for 11 years in one capacity or another
Georgetown's top assistant has been with Thompson for 7 years, two other assistants have been there for three apiece
UConn's top assistant has been there for 13 years, two other assistants have been there for 6 years apiece
Louisville's top assistant has been there for 6 years
Bo Ryan's top assistant has been with him for 13 years

Last year we lost our entire staff, which was an entirely new staff to begin with. This year I am willing to wager that at least one of our remaining two assistants will leave...quite possibly both. If that happens...three years in a row with entirely new staffs...will anybody around here agree with me that there is something amiss?

Incidentally, I am not including Coach Rab in these. We are very, very lucky to have him and, by all accounts he's a wonderful guy and a great coach. Unfortunately for him, I'm not sure he has a lot of options as far as moving on is concerned.

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 03:51:03 PM »
Maybe Rab will be our long-tenured assistant (the Hank) while some of the other positions are filled by more short-term guys.

I would love to have three, veteran and savvy assistant coaches at MU for the next 20 years. It'd be fantastic. But, in this day and age, it's much more helpful to have stability in the head coaching position like we have with Tom Crean, who's been with the program for 8 years and counting.

Todd was the Director of Basketball Operations, which is a low-paying, technically non-coaching job. I know he loves MU, but that's not a destination position by any means and not one that'll lead straight to an assistants job on the MU bench. This one was a no-brainer for Todd and I'm sure TC was a great advocate for him during the interview process.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 03:58:34 PM »
What about the rumored "blow up" between TT and TC?  Did that come into play or was that a vicious rumor?  Saw some post from Todd's brother that alluded to a fight of some sort.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 04:29:39 PM »

Florida's top assistant has been with Donovan for 11 years in one capacity or another
Georgetown's top assistant has been with Thompson for 7 years, two other assistants have been there for three apiece
UConn's top assistant has been there for 13 years, two other assistants have been there for 6 years apiece

Last year we lost our entire staff, which was an entirely new staff to begin with. This year I am willing to wager that at least one of our remaining two assistants will leave...quite possibly both. If that happens...three years in a row with entirely new staffs...will anybody around here agree with me that there is something amiss?

Incidentally, I am not including Coach Rab in these. We are very, very lucky to have him and, by all accounts he's a wonderful guy and a great coach. Unfortunately for him, I'm not sure he has a lot of options as far as moving on is concerned.

That's a rather Murf-like twist of facts.   ::)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 04:35:02 PM »

Sounds like a lot of assistant coaches that don't want a crack at the big time to me.  And why would they at most of the programs you mentioned.  They're making 200K, aren't called to the mat when they lose, don't face the media and the fans...it's a good gig to be a top assistant at one of those programs.

Now, I'm absolutely in concurrence that we need more stability at assistant coach...I think you're dead on right.  But as the UCLA article shows and schools around the country have shown, it's not near the importance of keeping the top guy solidified in his spot. I would also expect from Crean's comments that one of the assistants might be moving on but I suppose that all depends on what comes offering.

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2007, 04:37:29 PM »
I have to agree with PRN here

Every year assistants bolt for the door and it is for one reason......Tom Crean is a control freak and absolutely works his assistants to death.  Most of them can not wait to get out of here after a season is done.  This could be evidence to the late season struggles as of late as well.

Just speculation....thats all we can do on here

Chili

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2007, 04:46:30 PM »
Tom Crean is a control freak and absolutely works his assistants to death. 

I am failing too see a fault here as Crean works just as hard as the assistants do. Sorry but I do not want a lackluster and lazy head coach (or staff).

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2007, 04:58:49 PM »
Are there any more details, like a specific focus he'll have there?

Congrats to TT, though. Great opportunity for a great guy.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2007, 07:16:08 PM »
Sounds like a lot of assistant coaches that don't want a crack at the big time to me.  And why would they at most of the programs you mentioned.  They're making 200K, aren't called to the mat when they lose, don't face the media and the fans...it's a good gig to be a top assistant at one of those programs.

Now, I'm absolutely in concurrence that we need more stability at assistant coach...I think you're dead on right.  But as the UCLA article shows and schools around the country have shown, it's not near the importance of keeping the top guy solidified in his spot. I would also expect from Crean's comments that one of the assistants might be moving on but I suppose that all depends on what comes offering.

I know the point you, and others on the board, are making regarding assistants with the desire to move on.

However, I have to imagine MU is giving these assistants some pretty attractive incentives to stay. There is no way anybody in the basketball program looks at the turnover among assistants and isn't concerned. I'm guessing they're making some pretty good coin and they're still leaving (I'm not speaking of Todd...he was probably working basically for free).

As ridiculous as the gold Hummers are, that is an attempt (misguided as it may be) to make working for MU attractive. Unfortunately, our assistants are still fleeing. This has been going on for years.

A while back, MU88 on the other board made a pretty damning post about Crean's behavior during the MSU game. I think he's been a pretty level-headed poster. See for yourself:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=415#S=415&F=2850&T=357604&STM=3979113

4everwarriors

• All American
Crean Couldn't...
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2007, 07:37:57 PM »
really have thought he was going to beat Izzo, could he?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2007, 12:17:29 AM »
TT was the director of basketball operations. Not an AC. Not a big loss. TT needs to prove himself as a AC at smaller schools before returning, ala Wardle.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2007, 09:06:37 AM »

Incidentally, I am not including Coach Rab in these.

Rab is in his third year, yet you claim we had an entirely new staff? 

Oh, wait, you conveniently exclude the guy who will have been here three years in order to make your claim that we will have an "entirely new staff for the 3rd year in a row."

Once again, dislike clouds your judgement.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2007, 09:12:10 AM »
I mentioned Coach Rab, however his situation is a little different than our other coaches don't you think?

Or are you ignoring facts?

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2007, 10:35:27 AM »
I mentioned Coach Rab, however his situation is a little different than our other coaches don't you think?

Or are you ignoring facts?

No--you are.  As I said, you conveniently excluded him in order to make the false claim that we've had "complete turnover" three years in a row.

Oh, wait, on further review I note you used the word "Incidentally" instead of "Conveniently."

Does that really matter? 

Rab is going into his fourth year, therefore, MU can not possibly have had complete turnover at any time since then--no less three years in a row as you claim. 

Once again, dislike clouds your judgement.

Furthermore, I'm not sure what difference sitaution you're actually referring to.  If you believe Rab's not going to get another coaching job anywhere else, that's patently silly given that guys like Steve Fisher, Larry Eustachey, and even Kevin Mackey have found jobs in coaching. 

jage

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2007, 01:49:51 AM »
Sounds like a lot of assistant coaches that don't want a crack at the big time to me.  And why would they at most of the programs you mentioned.  They're making 200K, aren't called to the mat when they lose, don't face the media and the fans...it's a good gig to be a top assistant at one of those programs.

Now, I'm absolutely in concurrence that we need more stability at assistant coach...I think you're dead on right.  But as the UCLA article shows and schools around the country have shown, it's not near the importance of keeping the top guy solidified in his spot. I would also expect from Crean's comments that one of the assistants might be moving on but I suppose that all depends on what comes offering.

I know the point you, and others on the board, are making regarding assistants with the desire to move on.

However, I have to imagine MU is giving these assistants some pretty attractive incentives to stay. There is no way anybody in the basketball program looks at the turnover among assistants and isn't concerned. I'm guessing they're making some pretty good coin and they're still leaving (I'm not speaking of Todd...he was probably working basically for free).

As ridiculous as the gold Hummers are, that is an attempt (misguided as it may be) to make working for MU attractive. Unfortunately, our assistants are still fleeing. This has been going on for years.

A while back, MU88 on the other board made a pretty damning post about Crean's behavior during the MSU game. I think he's been a pretty level-headed poster. See for yourself:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=415#S=415&F=2850&T=357604&STM=3979113

in PRN's defense (not that he needs it), MU88's point is solid evidence that Crean is pretty unrestrained on the bench. His top assistant in the final four run (Darrin Horn), was the guy who kept him cool and kept him in line. my guess is that crean has yet to find someone with the same chemistry. perhaps, coach rab can provide that same stability, but he's failed to do so in his time here so far. i would pinpoint the recycling of assistant coaches as the product of incompatibility, not crean's coaching philosophy or work ethic. all the programs that PRN has cited (UCONN, loserville, wisconsin, etc.) are stable programs because of coaching compatibility. coaching compatibility leads to stability, which leads to sustained success. that said, the blame must fall on crean's shoulders...he is responsible for the hiring of his staff and he must be able to find an assistant that is on board with his philosophy for the long haul. at what point do the assistants speak up? can they?
You know what pressure is? It's when the cheerleaders are jumping and you don't notice their breasts. - Al McGuire

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2007, 09:54:32 AM »
I'm not sure I'd call Connecticut and Louisville "stable" programs. They both lose 2-3 players every April, they've both had assistant coaches run afoul of the law, and they both deal with extracurricular situations (e.g. Derrick Caracter) that would embarass even the most casual MU fan. Adding to that, on the court UConn didn't even qualify for post-season play and Louisville missed the NCAA Tournament (as did MU) after reaching the Final Four in 2005.

If MU isn't a "stable" program not sure how you could include the above two without inventing the facts.