Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Durley Updates (and a false rumor)  (Read 3988 times)

Warrior1

• Starter
Durley Updates (and a false rumor)
« on: November 27, 2011, 11:45:01 AM »
PaintTouches Paint Touches
Aaron Durley will not enroll at Marquette next fall. Instead, he will attend junior college to develop. Says #mubb is still in the plans.

***UPDATE***
I spoke with Durley via text and he said, in regards to the original story from RCS Sports:

"I have never heard of this...And I never said that.."

and

"Yessir I will be there next fall."

Can we change the title of the thread to reflect this? Still confirming some other things at the moment, but straight from Durley's mouth, it looks as though he will be here.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 02:23:17 PM by rocky_warrior »

Litehouse

• All American
Re: Durley NOT enrolling next fall
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 11:48:39 AM »
That makes things interesting.  I assume that means someone else may be coming.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 11:49:22 AM »
Frees up a schollie probably for that transfer dude Maple Leaf 10 Cents had given us the heads up about days ago.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 11:56:17 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 11:51:31 AM »
Can someone explain to me, or point me to someone else's explanation about how this works or how common this is? What's the point of a commit if he doesn't enroll? I can't imagine the schollie is guaranteed open for his sophomore season? That would only free up a schollie for one year, which you can't do much with. Or is this a much more binding commitment to and from Durley than it would seem?

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 11:56:23 AM »
We still have one open for 2013, so Durley could still get that one.  I'm kinda surprised he'd go to junior college though and blow a year of eligibity, instead of prep and still have 4 years left.

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 11:58:34 AM »
I deleted my tweet from Paint Touches as I am looking to confirm this report. RCS Sports had the story but I have NOT confirmed this. Will keep you updated, but so far RCS Sports is the only one reporting this directly.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 12:00:48 PM »
I think, if you read between the lines, he is not very good. There is no way MU risks a good bigmen going to junior college for a year.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 12:02:11 PM »
It's November and we're talking about something that will happen (or not happen) next summer.

How much of this is talk and how much is real?
Also, he is a two-star recruit.  You think he was run-off?

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 12:26:05 PM »
***UPDATE***
I spoke with Durley via text and he said, in regards to the original story from RCS Sports:

and

Can we change the title of the thread to reflect this? Still confirming some other things at the moment, but straight from Durley's mouth, it looks as though he will be here.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 12:51:11 PM »
Can someone explain to me, or point me to someone else's explanation about how this works or how common this is? What's the point of a commit if he doesn't enroll?

He's not committed, he's signed.

But as Mark pointed out already, Durley has no idea where this story came from.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 12:52:40 PM »
He's not committed, he's signed.

But as Mark pointed out already, Durley has no idea where this story came from.

So if you sign and then were to go to JC (even though it certainly looks like Durley will be at MU in the fall) then there is an understanding that the schollie would be there soph - senior years? It just opens one up for the would-be frosh year?

reinko

• All American
Re: Durley Rumors/Updates
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 12:55:42 PM »
Seems Paint Touches wants to wear big boy media pants.  Easy with the Twitters young'uns.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 12:57:40 PM »
So if you sign and then were to go to JC (even though it certainly looks like Durley will be at MU in the fall) then there is an understanding that the schollie would be there soph - senior years? It just opens one up for the would-be frosh year?

I don't think so. If you sign your LOI and then go JUCO, you're back to being wide-open. Scholarships are renewed annually, so the program has the right to pull the plug on a scholarship at any time, so if someone backed out of a LOI to go JUCO, the school would have no obligation to renew the never-given scholarship in the future.

I'm not sure if they could do anything to hold the player to the LOI, however. It's possible that when he finished his JUCO year, they could use the LOI to still bring him in, but that's all pure speculation. Hopefully someone else is more knowledgeable and can address that side.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 01:05:51 PM »

Also, he is a two-star recruit.  You think he was run-off?

Wow. Based on no evidence whatsoever you start the speculation that Durley was "run off"? I know some of our fans aren't happy without something to bi#ch about but aren't you being just a wee bit premature?

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 01:18:40 PM »
So when I said a few weeks ago that pretty much no one of any high merit had offered him based on the actual articles on his recruitment it wasn't off.  Of course that didn't stop those that identify themselves as man crushers from taking swipes and invoking other coaches (for no reason).  You can't teach size, which this kid has.  If he was as good as advertised, one would expect to have more offers than Chattanooga, South Florida and South Alabama.

Seems a good move by Buzz to let him develop on someone else's dime and scholarship.  If it works out, he can come to play at MU, but you're as good as who has offered you a scholarship not a bunch of schools sending letters and claiming to recruit you.  A significant difference.
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 01:23:23 PM »
Two things...

So when I said a few weeks ago that pretty much no one of any high merit had offered him based on the actual articles on his recruitment it wasn't off.  Of course that didn't stop those that identify themselves as man crushers from taking swipes and invoking other coaches (for no reason).  You can't teach size, which this kid has.  If he was as good as advertised, one would expect to have more offers than Chattanooga, South Florida and South Alabama.

And apparently it didn't stop you taking swipes at Marquette for recruiting him. Seriously, enough passive-aggressive crap already. We had this discussion. Your own links contradicted what you had to say about this. Let it go.

Seems a good move by Buzz to let him develop on someone else's dime and scholarship.  If it works out, he can come to play at MU, but you're as good as who has offered you a scholarship not a bunch of schools sending letters and claiming to recruit you.  A significant difference.

I'm guessing you haven't actually read the thread, have you? Did you miss that Mark Strotman posted he had a text conversation with Durley today that contradicts this story? Unless the original writer knows something Durley himself doesn't know, which doesn't seem very likely, he will be developing on our dime and our scholarship:

***UPDATE***

and

This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2011, 01:31:59 PM »

It invalidates the LOI and the player would have to sign a new one the following fall. The school and the player can have an agreement, but there's nothing binding either one. Kind of like a verbal committment.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2011, 01:33:25 PM »
Great to see we got confirmation from Durley himself that he'll be here.  I'm shocked to find out everything you read on the Internet isn't true.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2011, 02:04:39 PM »
Hope this doesn't turn into another clusterf*ck Newbill situation.

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2011, 02:13:37 PM »
The "despite rumors" part in the headline still seems very misleading.  If the rumors have been confirmed false, they're not rumors anymore, just lies.  This kind of misunderstanding can get out of hand quickly.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Durley Updates (and a false rumor)
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2011, 02:25:32 PM »
Alright, modified the title of the thread, and and added strotty's update to the first post.

I'm also going to lock this to so that folks stop responding to the false information.  A new thread can handle any further Durley commentary.

feedback